Did Nicki expect Cardi to rival her career?

GiftFromGod

Did Nicki expect Cardi to rival her career?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Did Nicki expect Cardi to rival her career?

• Yes
    • No, Cardi came out of nowhere.

For the longest time, Nicki felt untouchable. Certainly NOBODY expected any female rapper to even come close to her success. 

Did you think Nicki expected Cardi to reach a certain success and ultimately rival her own success?

Nicki underestimated how much the industry changed.  

What I know is that Nicki Minaj hates every single female artist alive but Britney Spears, Rihanna and Beyoncé.

Edited by Erreur2 La Nature

Nicki (and most people) thought Cardi would be a one hit wonder. Nicki thought she could do Cardi the same way she low key did Iggy, it backfired. 

No

Cardi B came out of almost nowhere and smashed. 

Onika Tanya Maraj-Petty hasn’t been the same since Belcalis Almazar scored that first solo number one in 2017.

5 years later and here we are Chile. :foxaylove3:

No, I don’t even think Cardi herself expected her stuff to smash the way it did. 

Edited by RihFenty20

Nicki Minaj hasn't been the same ever since Cardi appeared on the scene and smashed. You can tell how shook she is and it still bothers her that Cardi is the #1 (and will remain to do so).

Edited by Badboidami

Nicki doesn't live in the real world. I mean, she thinks she's still relevant in 2022. She thinks she's the best there ever was. So no, of course not. People like Cardi and Meghan threaten the faux reality she has created for herself and that's why she lashes out.

The way people where so quick to jump on Nicki takes me out, I vividly remember during the summer Bodak Yellow came out I went to get my haircut (black barbers, all macho straight men) and every man in there was talking about how they prefer Cardi way more to Nicki. :deadbanana4:

3 minutes ago, Bang Up said:

Nicki doesn't live in the real world. I mean, she thinks she's still relevant in 2022. She thinks she's the best there ever was. So no, of course not. People like Cardi and Meghan threaten the faux reality she has created for herself and that's why she lashes out.

Not NickiVision 

The way she thought she could bully her out of the industry, but the public picked Cardi’s side :deadbanana:

I don't think so.

To be fair, I thought Cardi was gonna be a fad. She definitely wasn’t tho. Nicki still Queen but The industry changed and way more female rappers are mainstream now

It was unexpected, but Cardi is kind of the better pop star when it comes to being the whole package...

The girl has much better visuals, she can do some choreography, is a better performer and has a relatable personnality.

Nicki is the better rapper by far though.

Edited by Robyn.

I dont think anyone expected Cardi to smash like that, not even her label. Nicki was still too focused on recovering her damaged image after the Remy diss. Cardi was the last straw:deadbanana4:

I definitely think Nicki didn't see Cardi lasting more than Bodak, or that Cardi would amass the level of support she got. What made Nicki stand out, being the only major female rapper for years, is also what caused the mess we saw after Cardi got as big as she got. If Nicki had shared the spotlight for years she would have gotten used to the idea of more than one woman winning, but she didn't. And now we have the sorry situation where a female rapper that should be properly receiving her props by now can't because she's become a mess for the most part and sees threats and rivals in new girls instead of proteges and younger sisters, a shame.

Not at all and that’s what made it so funny to watch in real time

billie-eilish-is-fucking-OVER.thumb.gif.

idk but at soon as I clicked on this thread Superbass started playing on the radio at my work. :toofunny3:

Lots of bad takes here but I don't feel like arguing. I bet what Nicki didn't expect is her own community turning on her, because some other girl wanted to get money. Why would you expect Nicki to like cardi or want to mentor her? After all the abuse she put up with upon her entry into the music industry, like really? Do you think Beyonce likes rihanna? If your boss and consumers constantly treat you bad in favor of a new staff, would you want to mentor them? I definitely wouldn't and its the same for most people. She did too much though, but her distance is justified. Im just tired of the oversimplification of Nicki just being jealous because of having to share the spotlight. That wasnt the case 5 years ago, or 13 years ago when people treated Kim badly. Doja is actually more successful, but Nicki isnt threatened by her at all. Because nobody makes her success about Nicki. Also I disagree that cardi has rivaled her career. Cardi definitely appeals to more people in the US, but i dont think its the same on a global scale.  

No. She thought it was another Iggy situation (can't really blame her - so did I). 

59 minutes ago, lonnie said:

I definitely think Nicki didn't see Cardi lasting more than Bodak, or that Cardi would amass the level of support she got. What made Nicki stand out, being the only major female rapper for years, is also what caused the mess we saw after Cardi got as big as she got. If Nicki had shared the spotlight for years she would have gotten used to the idea of more than one woman winning, but she didn't. And now we have the sorry situation where a female rapper that should be properly receiving her props by now can't because she's become a mess for the most part and sees threats and rivals in new girls instead of proteges and younger sisters, a shame.

Basically all of this

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.