The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes

Almodusa

Walked into this semi-blind: I read/watched the original four movies and loved them, but only knew that this was based on Snow's life. Pretty solid! 

The way it's basically a Star is Born for the first two acts 

• Like 1

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Almodusa

• Aston Martin

• thatsmydemi

• Hurem

So I just came back from the cinema, and I have to say I really loved this. Unpopular opinion lol but the previous films felt totally boring to me in comparison to this one and maybe it's because I loved the chemistry of Snow and Lucy as well. There were some great moments on the previous films as well, but this one clicked a lot more to me. 

I loved this more than any of the other hunger games movies. Can’t even remember much of Mockingjay part 1 and part 2. So I went in with low expectations because of the previous films and was pleasantly surprised. It’s been more than a week since I watched this in my local cinema and I still keep thinking about it, which in my opinion is a mark of a great movie. Both of the lead actors are magnetic.

Edited by What_A_Mess
  • Like 3

QueenofCopyPaste

Olivia #8 on US SPOTIFY without Xmas :jonny:

QueenofCopyPaste

UGH the final scene in the woods gave me chills all over. Such a good movie.

i forgot to comment here but i loved it. i read all the books, stanned the **** out of the original movies, JLaw my favorite actress of all time and this movie was incredible too. Very faithful to the book. We need MORE

11 hours ago, QueenofCopyPaste said:

Whoa!! I didn’t know the single was doing that well

On 11/27/2023 at 5:40 PM, supertiffany said:

that's why it should have been a two part movie 

Absolutely not. Wouldn’t have been enough material for that. This already felt a bit bloated. I’m glad they didn’t try to make this a cash grab like Mockingjay. 

• Like 6

Echoing everyone’s sentiments here. This was a fantastic film. Walked into it blindly and was thoroughly entertained. It felt substantial. 

The more I sit with this movie the more I love it. There’s so much symbolism and quiet callbacks that makes this film so rich in thought process 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Almodusa said:

Rotten Tomatoes: 

Critics: 65% Audience: 89%

MetaCritic:

Critics: 54 Users: 5.2

surprisingly low on Metacritic but I guess it's not Avengers 

Went to see it yesterday with no expectations and absolutely loved it! The songs were amazing, and Rachel's voice is so powerful!

wait this was pretty good :clap3:

ending was SUPER rushed but was it was enjoyable throughout and didn't feel too long

Spoiler

also Tom Blythe my new MAN of the week omg :jonnycat:

I finally saw it. I've been waiting for this movie for years since I'm a huge fan of the Hunger Games franchise and even pre-ordered TBOSAS when it was announced, and man was this worth the wait!

• The opening scene with the Dark Days was very chilling. I thought they weren't going to mention the cannibalism scene in the movie since it was just a minor detail that Snow mentions in a flashback, so the way they incorporate here shocked me but was such a gritty, realistic way to frame us to the movie's setting.
  • Really phenomenal acting from everyone. In the scene towards the end where Snow tells Gaul what the Hunger Games was meant for, I almost got goosebumps at Tom Blyth's acting. He does an absolutely phenomenal job as Snow and he had big shoes to fill given how Donald Sutherland's portrayal was perfect.
  • On the note of acting... man Mackenzie Lensing did an amazing job at Coral. I felt genuinely intimidated by her, tbh I felt like the Careers in the original movie did not feel very terrifying (with the exception of Clove) but wow I was floored by Coral. :jonny:
  • Francis Lawrence did an amazing job at portraying the Games. This is an unpopular opinion but I actually preferred how Gary Ross portrayed the Games than how Lawrence did in CF: aside from the cinematography and the opening shot, I was underwhelmed with how the Quarter Quell was depicted. This one felt so much more realistic and felt like we were watching the Games itself instead of a movie.
  • Going into to the movie, I was most worried for the third part because the pacing felt very flat in the books. Here, I think it's slightly better and I was more invested in the Covey than I was in the book.
  • Some people are complaining that Snow was portrayed as too sympathetic, I disagree? I think he showed a penchant for evil from the start, Tigris and then Lucy Gray try to stop this descent to evil but fail.
  • Interestingly, one of the biggest disappointments I had was that I thought Clemensia was gonna have a bigger role. Instead she just disappears after getting bitten by the snake? :skull: Also, I like that the books placed more of the blame on Snow when she got bitten, in the movie it seems like she is completely at fault.
Edited by Jotham
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Almodusa said:

spacer.png

On 11/28/2023 at 7:55 PM, Smarticle said:

:WAP:

The way Rachel Zegler kissed one for the movie and is dating the other one in real life. She truly won huh :jonnycat:

LOVE the franchise and loved the book so I'm actually devastated how cold this movie left me. It might be a somewhat entertaining piece of cinema but as a book adaption I sadly feel like it failed terribly :doc: Will take me a while to get over how disappointed this left me :katie:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.