The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes

Almodusa

Honestly thought this was the best of the franchise outside of Catching Fire, although I agree about the third act dragging a bit and I wasn't always 100% sold on Rachel Zegler

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Almodusa

• Aston Martin

• thatsmydemi

• Hurem

Yeah, this was fine.

The production design was a choice tho. What's with the 50s Pinterest fever dream? 

I don't remember the last time I've seen this franchise being talked about this much. It is really great seeing people appreciate the original movies more.

41 minutes ago, Thin White Duke said:

Yeah, this was fine.

The production design was a choice tho. What's with the 50s Pinterest fever dream? 

Well this is only a decade after the war, so things still have an old timey feel to it, especially as the Capitol recovers. And technology isn’t as advanced like in Katniss’s time 

QueenofCopyPaste

Olivia is really promoting the soundtrack song :jonny2:

Francis Lawrence was so impressed 

• Like 1

I overheard a livid woman last night leave the theater angry that there were only 40 mins of action :bibliahh:

Like the point and message of the movie and series really goes over some people's heads. The GP is so dumb :rip:

3 hours ago, Bhabylon said:

I overheard a livid woman last night leave the theater angry that there were only 40 mins of action :bibliahh:

Like the point and message of the movie and series really goes over some people's heads. The GP is so dumb :rip:

would you rather the people who show up for the action not buy tickets at all, so the movie is a flop, but the audience can be unblemished by the "dumb GP"?

0*qV1WrRi2rdNC4q8q

49 minutes ago, fridayteenage said:

would you rather the people who show up for the action not buy tickets at all, so the movie is a flop, but the audience can be unblemished by the "dumb GP"?

0*qV1WrRi2rdNC4q8q

Why do you feel personally offended by that phrase mama it’s not that deep :lmao: 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Almodusa said:

Well this is only a decade after the war, so things still have an old timey feel to it, especially as the Capitol recovers. And technology isn’t as advanced like in Katniss’s time 

It's still in the future though, no? 

4 minutes ago, Thin White Duke said:

It's still in the future though, no? 

Yes but Panem exists in a post environmental disaster world where societies had to start anew 

On 11/21/2023 at 12:23 PM, thatsmydemi said:

The scene when the tributes enter the arena with their mentors and the explosions happen was so freaking good. Can't stop thinking about it. 

As someone who hadn’t read the book before watching the movie, I was gagged. I am definitely rewatching this movie as soon as I can 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Almodusa said:

Yes but Panem exists in a post environmental disaster world where societies had to start anew 

That means only that their technology wouldn't be at its best though - not that they they would adopt a 50's looking technology all of a sudden.

And - you have actual advanced genetic mutation technology but can't get a nicer screen then the one that looks like my great-grandparents' TV? It's not logical.

The real reason they did it is because it looks pretty and it's set a few decades before the original franchise - and obviously they think the audience is dumb enough not to understand that concept so they gave it a real life retro feel.

It felt so nice going back to cinema for The Hunger Games movie :heart: One of my favorite franchises.

Pros:

• Part III - the best part of the movie were The Hunger Games by far! Loved every second of it, they really kept us on our toes.
  • Tom Blyth - he absolutely served. From acting to his looks. Perfect casting.
  • Viola Davis - what a presence. She really captures your attention just by being there.
  • Jason Schwartzman - not a single bad scene. Another perfect casting.
  • Part III - I loved all of the plot twists in final part of the movie. It felt a bit boring here and there, but overall I liked how they wrapped it up and showed us how/why Snow turned evil.

Cons:

• Rachel Zegler - I really didn't connect with her character. It felt like overacting at moments and her southern accent that came and went was a bit off-putting.
  • The singing kinda made me eyes roll every time (except when she sang before entering the arena). I understand that's a part of her character, but for some reason it really annoyed me and I couldn't wait for it to be over.
  • Part I and first bit of Part III felt a bit dull. The movie could've easily been shortened for another 15-20 minutes.

Overall, this movie has more high highs, than low lows. I believe it captured the essence of the franchise, though it could've/should've been trimmed just a little bit. I'd give it a 7.5/10.

Saw it today. I really enjoyed it! We still don’t know what happened to Lucy Gray canonically? 

I was hoping at the end we would see Tigress starting doing things to her body to look like what she does in the mockingjay part 2 movie. 

I read the book, so everything felt so rushed in the movie so I see why some say that this movie could've been split into 2 parts :bird:

Loved to see everything come to life on screen though, I enjoyed it

Loved Rachel and Tom :heart: I'm glad they changed certain kissing scenes, it made more sense in the film since they barely knew each other

Its so good.

Give us more Hunger game movie. Like they can set in Hunger game 12 17 20 25..... And we will be seated. The possibility is endless.

11 hours ago, publikcitizen said:

Saw it today. I really enjoyed it! We still don’t know what happened to Lucy Gray canonically? 

I was hoping at the end we would see Tigress starting doing things to her body to look like what she does in the mockingjay part 2 movie. 

Nope we don’t know for sure

And yeah I wish it showed her nibbling on raw meat like in the book

13 minutes ago, Almodusa said:

Nope we don’t know for sure

And yeah I wish it showed her nibbling on raw meat like in the book

Maybe Lucy ended up at district 13

I do think Zegler was the perfect casting for it because Lucy Gray seems to have that try-hard theatre girl vibe. I liked that there is no effort to make her likeable - unlike Katniss. We don’t meet her family, she’s a performer who knows how to make her point come through. 

Saw this movie yesterday.

I've always been OBSESSED with the Hunger Games, I love ALL 4 movies. I did not like this movie, sadly.

The pacing was bad. Viola Davis felt like a cartoony villain. Rachel Zegler can't act I'm sorry, I felt like I was watching Rachel Zegler say a few lines with a southern accent.

I also didn't like the tone of the score/music, it felt goofy at times. Sometimes it's okay to not have music in the background.

I didn't connect with any of the characters, they all felt very flat to me. How are we supposed to care about someone dying in this movie? We knew barely a thing about any of the other tributes.

Tom his acting was great tho, he was the highlight of the movie for sure.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Better Mistakes said:

How does this film compare to the book then girlies?

I’d say they’re about even. The second act of the film makes some changes that make it better than the second act of the book imo, but the last act of the book is stronger than the last act of the movie (which was kind of rushed). The first act of the book and movie are on equal footing to me. 

Watched this movie tonight and it was so good! Tom, Viola and Rachel all had spectacular performances!

I do think my fave act was 2, it felt the most well-executed and detailed 

the movie has so much to flesh out

JLaw did a good job to show through actions the minds and emotions of Katniss

that's what is lacking for the one who played Snow

while Lucy is too over the top, because of her theater experience perhaps, but that's better because she gets the personality shown in such a limited time release

this book has so much going on and should have shown a lot more, a lot really. 3 or even 4 part mini series would have been great

can understand why they said that 2 part movie would have made it such better

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.