Missouri high school bans LGBTQ support stickers and cards

GentleDance

GRAIN VALLEY, Mo. (AP) — The school board of suburban Kansas City high school has told its teachers to remove cards and stickers that show they are allies of LGBTQ students.

Officials in the Grain Valley emailed families on Monday saying the school board had directed administrators to remove cards or stickers that may read “Safe space for all.” The directive came after members received “a concern” about the cards and stickers. The email said the district remains committed to helping create a safe and inclusive environment, but the cards were “not appropriate at this time.”

The Kansas City Star reports some parents, teachers, and advocates have objected to the decision.

https://www.ky3.com/2022/04/26/missouri-high-school-bans-lgbtq-support-stickers-cards/

The only mention of gay in high schools is going to be from the gay bullies.

Cool. I wonder how the supreme court will vote on the topic of freedom of speech now that decisions are more politicized than ever. 

I hope the kids just go around putting stickers and fliers everywhere

I'm more surprised this isn't about Florida 

It’s funny cause the only ones that would bring up “gays” in school were the bullies and the jerks :rip: 

How disgusting, but I'm unfortunately not shocked. Attempts at silencing LGBTQ+ people this year alone have been nonstop :cries:

41 minutes ago, Insanity said:

I'm more surprised this isn't about Florida 

Give desantis and Abbott time. They’ll outdo this law. They’re all just seeing how they can “out low” the other at this point. Hell it’ll be illegal to be gay in the south soon enough. 

This should definitely go to the Supreme Court, where I imagine it gets overturned. This goes directly against freedom of speech.

There's already a clear precedent set by the Supreme Court for situations like this. I know that doesn't mean anything now with the conservative majority but :rip: I don't understand why a school would even try this.

All of you guys who were carrying water for transphobes have them and yourselves to thank for this. 

Edited by GraceRandolph

4 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

All of you guys who were carrying water for transphobes have them and yourselves to thank for this. 

This 

Is this the most developed country on earth? Cause very week I read news like this coming from there 

Only Jesus crosses are allowed :heart:

students learn about lgbtq outside of school so who cares?

2 minutes ago, harwee said:

students learn about lgbtq outside of school so who cares?

yeah they're groomed by their parents on what to believe.

Meeting LGBT people and learning about LGBT people generally opens up their worldview.

4 minutes ago, wesleywalrus said:

yeah they're groomed by their parents on what to believe.

Meeting LGBT people and learning about LGBT people generally opens up their worldview.

Which they do outside of school, with their schoolmates.

Obviously this is gross. But lgbtq shouldn't feel defeated these bans, minimize their impact in our lives cause they'll keep pushing.

Edited by harwee

• ATRL Moderator

One of my internet acquaintances is a teacher who is significantly impacted by this and fighting against it. Very tough. It's absolutely insane to me how these conservative politicians want to police free speech like this. They're so ******* hypocritical and fraudulent. A SAFE SPACE sticker literally does not hurt anyone. The straight students probably don't even care or notice it.

Horizon Flame
On 4/27/2022 at 9:12 PM, Bethenny Frankel said:

This should definitely go to the Supreme Court, where I imagine it gets overturned. This goes directly against freedom of speech.

The Supreme Court is conservative. I wouldn’t hold your breath. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.