Rank the biggest hitmakers of the 2020s

makeme

??  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the biggest hitmaker of the 2020s so far?

2. 2. Who comes in 2nd place?

Rank the biggest hitmakers of the 2020s based on their Spotify performance

I included songs like Juicy, Don't start now, Blinding lights that were released as singles in 2019 but peaked on the charts in 2020. A-lot of these artists are neck and neck so this poll should be interesting. 

Bolded in green = songs where the artist is a feature or duets

Doja

#1 Say so – 1.14b (Solo 943m)
#2 Kiss me more – 1.14b / #39 Spotify Global
#3 Woman – 766m / #15 Spotify Global 
#4 Need to know – 709m / #40 Spotify Global 
#5 Streets – 608m / #161 US Spotify 
#6 Boss ***** – 600m 
#7 Juicy – 383m 
#8 Best Friend - 378m 
#9 You Right – 367m / #111 Spotify Global
#10 Like that – 361m 
#11 Get into it (Yuh) – 315m / #176 Spotify Global 
#12 Ain’t **** – 312m / #155 Spotify Global 
#13 Motive 284m 

Dua

#1 DSN – 1.86b 
#2 Levitating – 1.79b  (Solo 485m) / #49 Spotify Global (remix) 
#3 Break me heart – 861m 
#4 Cold Heart – 798m / #7 Spotify Global
#5 Physical – 655m
#6 Un Dia – 639m
#7 Prisoner – 493m 
#8 Love Again – 360m 

#9 Were good – 353m 
#10 Hallucinate – 240m 
#11 Fever – 239m

Justin
#1 Stay 1.7b / #4 Spotify Global
#2 Peaches 1.09b / #67 Spotify Global
#3 Intentions 906m 
#4 Stuck with you 754m 
#4 Yummy 663m 
#5 Holy 614m 
#6 Lonely 583m 
#7 Hold on 484m 
#8 Ghost 476m / #11 Spotify Global 
#9 Anyone 466m 
#10 Monster 442m 

Abel
#1 Blinding lights 2.9b / #29 Spotify Global
#2 Save your tears 1.7b / #47 Spotify Global 
#3 In your eyes 774m 
#4 Heartless 516m 
#5 You Right 367m 
#6 Smile 346m 
#7 Take my breath 324m 
#8 Mother to a flame 286m / #79 Spotify Global 
#10 One right now 261m / #85 Spotify Global 
#9 Hawai remix 241m
#11 Hurricane 232m 

Olivia 

#1 drivers License 1.38b / #45 Spotify Global

#2 good 4 u 1.38b / #20

#3 deja vu 812m / #53

#4 traitor 736m / #35

#5 happier 500m / #116

#6 favorite crime 448m / #122

#7 All I Want 396m (november 2019)

#8 jealousy, jealousy 391m / #130

#9 brutal 335m

#10 enough for you 242m

#11 1 step forward, 3 steps back 214m

Edited by makeme

Justin especially considering he been here since 2009. :celestial2:

Putting Justin and not Harry has got to be a joke lmao.

Harry:

1. Watermelon Sugar 1.706 B

2. Adore You 1.080 B

3. Falling 718M

4. Golden 560M

5. AIW 223M in 3 weeks.

6. Lights Up 538M

Those are literally all the singles he released in the past 2 1/2 years, and they're all solo.

IMO

1. Doja

2. Dua

3. Abel

4. Harry

5. Justin

doja > dua > abel > jb 

where Olivia?

#2 good 4 u 1.38b / #20

#3 deja vu 812m / #53

#4 traitor 736m / #35

#5 happier 500m / #116

#9 brutal 335m

#10 enough for you 242m

#12 hope ur ok 174m

Doja > Abel > Olivia > Bieber > Dua

Dua has had manyyy hits and they're all global.

Then I guess Doja Cat ?

The Weeknd has BL

I did not even know Justin Bieber released music :skull:

44 minutes ago, More Than A Melody said:

Harry:

2. Adore You 1.080 B

3. Falling 718M

4. Golden 560M

5. AIW 223M in 3 weeks.

6. Lights Up 538M

Those are literally all the singles he released in the past 2 1/2 years, and they're all solo.

IMO

1. Doja

2. Dua

3. Abel

4. Harry

5. Justin

21 minutes ago, Michael196 said:

where Olivia?

#2 good 4 u 1.38b / #20

#3 deja vu 812m / #53

#4 traitor 736m / #35

#5 happier 500m / #116

#9 brutal 335m

#10 enough for you 242m

#12 hope ur ok 174m

Doja > Abel > Olivia > Bieber > Dua

Added both to the poll.

-  

IMO it's Doja followed by Dua 

Abel > Dua > Justin > Doja 

Doja could be much bigger, her "hits" take off by themselves, she hasn't really promoted most of them the way Dua and Justin do. 

44 minutes ago, More Than A Melody said:

Harry:

2. Adore You 1.080 B

3. Falling 718M

4. Golden 560M

5. AIW 223M in 3 weeks.

6. Lights Up 538M

IMO

1. Doja

2. Dua

3. Abel

4. Harry

5. Justin

But.. considering Harry's top 6 you posted and Justin's top 6, Justin's bigger? 

4 minutes ago, ariananext said:

Abel > Dua > Justin > Doja 

Doja could be much bigger, her "hits" take off by themselves, she hasn't really promoted most of them the way Dua and Justin do. 

But.. considering Harry's top 6 you posted and Justin's top 6, Justin's bigger? 

Stay isn't his song. The viral part of the song is literally the Kid LAROI, who is the lead artist. The hitmaker is The Kid LAROI for that song.

And comparing the rest of the songs on that list to Harry's...no, no he's not. Harry's blow him out of the water.

Watermelon Sugar > Peaches

Adore You > Intentions. And it's not close.

Considering current Spotify Global numbers:

Falling 900K+ vs Stuck With U N/A

Golden 800K+ vs Yummy N/A

And AIW is shaping up to be bigger than anything Justin has released solo since... 2015.

Edited by More Than A Melody

this whole features or no features argument is irrelevant  when you’re colabbing with relatively  small artists. Maybe if you’re not a lead on the song but that’s it. And doja has a heck ton of feature herself. Bieber is #1 because he has the biggest song of the 2020s with stay, ghost which will hit 1b This year and peaches which is a huge hit. That’s three smashes, more than anyone else, and the list after that with intentions fearing QUAVO, someone who for example adds Nothing to the song, yummy, holy etc.. rivals others moderate hits. 

7 minutes ago, Jaffery said:

this whole features or no features argument is irrelevant  when you’re colabbing with relatively  small artists. Maybe if you’re not a lead on the song but that’s it. And doja has a heck ton of feature herself. Bieber is #1 because he has the biggest song of the 2020s with stay, ghost which will hit 1b This year and peaches which is a huge hit. That’s three smashes, more than anyone else, and the list after that with intentions fearing QUAVO, someone who for example adds Nothing to the song, yummy, holy etc.. rivals others moderate hits. 

Justin Bieber has 1 verse in Stay. This thread is supposed to be about HitMAKERS. Justin did not MAKE Stay a hit. The pre chorus by The Kid LAROI is the viral part. It's like arguing that Despacito is Justin Bieber's hit...

2 minutes ago, More Than A Melody said:

Stay isn't his song. The viral part of the song is literally the Kid LAROI, who is the lead artist. The hitmaker is The Kid LAROI for that song.

And comparing the rest of the songs on that list to Harry's...no, no he's not. Harry's blow him out of the water.

#1 Stay 1.7b (9 months) vs Watermelon Sugar 1.706 B (28 months)
#2 Peaches 1.09b (13 months) vs Adore You 1.080 B (28 months)
#3 Intentions 906m (26 months) vs Falling 718M (28 months)
#4 Stuck with you 754m (23 months) vs Golden 560M (28 months)
#5 Yummy 663m (27 months) vs AIW 223M (3 weeks)
#6 Holy 614m (19 months) vs Lights Up 538M (30 months)

12 minutes ago, More Than A Melody said:

Justin Bieber has 1 verse in Stay. This thread is supposed to be about HitMAKERS. Justin did not MAKE Stay a hit. The pre chorus by The Kid LAROI is the viral part. It's like arguing that Despacito is Justin Bieber's hit...

Stay was a smash the day it came out when it had 1k sounds on tiktok and it didn’t go viral for weeks after that, where it was smashing hard. Where is the kid larois track record of smash hits for you to claim such a big claim? Where is his new song that came out today on Apple Music, the lead single? That’s a crazy statement to make as if Bieber doesn’t have a history of doing this and the kid laroi is what, an A LIAsg HIT maker compared to bieber all of a sudden? Without you isn’t even bigger than intentions, let alone biebers discography, and that’s the only non bieber hit he has to his name. In fact, ghost the song currently charting is bigger than without you too. Where’s larois track record, I don’t see it.

Here is why stay is a hit: huge name recognition with a very catchy infectious chorus that connected with the audience. 

Edited by Jaffery

I think Harry will climb to the top by the end of this era if I had to guess. Right now he wouldn’t make it on this list or maybe at the bottom

24 minutes ago, More Than A Melody said:

I'm sorry but the comparison doesn't make sense.

Despacito was already a big hit outside the anglosphere, Justin made it huge in North America, other english speaking countries and gave it a boost in the rest of the world. To this day the Remix has surpassed the original on Spotify (despite the OG being obviously the mainly pushed version). The OG is obviously bigger in Latin America and part of Europe, but it's obvious that without Justin's remix the song would've been a smash on Bailando or Mi Gente level but not one of the biggest smashes ever released.

Stay was released as a JOINT single, in fact both acts are co-lead and credits are 50/50. The song was added to The Kid Laroi's two years old EP to boost his flop album streams, but it was a joint single since the beginning, do you really think he would've gotten a huge hit out of nowhere if it wasn't for J? I don't understand the hostility considering Harry is at his peak and Justin has been around for over 15 years. 

Edited by ariananext

8 minutes ago, ariananext said:

I'm sorry but the comparison doesn't make sense.

Despacito was already a big hit outside the anglosphere, Justin made it huge in North America, other english speaking countries and gave it a boost in the rest of the world. To this day the Remix has surpassed the original on Spotify (despite the OG being obviously the mainly pushed version). The OG is obviously bigger in Latin America and part of Europe, but it's obvious that without Justin's remix the song would've been a smash on Bailando or Mi Gente level but not one of the biggest smashes ever released.

Stay was released as a JOINT single, in fact both acts are co-lead and credits are 50/50. The song was added to The Kid Laroi's two years old EP to boost his flop album streams, but it was a joint single since the beginning, do you really think he would've gotten a huge hit out of nowhere if it wasn't for J? I don't understand the hostility considering Harry is at his peak and Justin has been around for over 15 years. 

24 minutes ago, Jaffery said:

Stay was a smash the day it came out when it had 1k sounds on tiktok and it didn’t go viral for weeks after that, where it was smashing hard. Where is the kid larois track record of smash hits for you to claim such a big claim? Where is his new song that came out today on Apple Music, the lead single? That’s a crazy statement to make as if Bieber doesn’t have a history of doing this and the kid laroi is what, an A LIAsg HIT maker compared to bieber all of a sudden? Without you isn’t even bigger than intentions, let alone biebers discography, and that’s the only non bieber hit he has to his name. In fact, ghost the song currently charting is bigger than without you too. Where’s larois track record, I don’t see it.

Here is why stay is a hit: huge name recognition with a very catchy infectious chorus that connected with the audience. 

Yes. I absolutely think the song would've been a hit without Justin, because it's a tik tok song. The song is huge because of its tik tok sound and the virality of that tik tok sound is 100% The Kid LAROI. It doesn't matter if he's completely irrelevant outside of this song. I'm not arguing that he's a hitmaker. I'm arguing that he made THIS a hit. Old songs by not big acts have been pushed by Tik Tok to an insane degree... look at Heat Waves.

Just now, More Than A Melody said:

Yes. I absolutely think the song would've been a hit without Justin, because it's a tik tok song. The song is huge because of its tik tok sound and the virality of that tik tok sound is 100% The Kid LAROI. It doesn't matter if he's completely irrelevant outside of this song. I'm not arguing that he's a hitmaker. I'm arguing that he made THIS a hit. Old songs by not big acts have been pushed by Tik Tok to an insane degree... look at Heat Waves.

But the song smashed the day it was released. Your point would make some sense if the song smashed at least a couple weeks after it was released, it debuted with over 6.5M streams :rip:

19 minutes ago, ariananext said:

But the song smashed the day it was released. Your point would make some sense if the song smashed at least a couple weeks after it was released, it debuted with over 6.5M streams :rip:

It debuted at #4 on Spotify Global how is that a smash? :rip: 

The song did 9M daily streams for months because it went viral on tik tok. How are you arguing this? 6M on debut for Justin Bieber and a #4 on global is nowhere near a smash. Lights Up by Harry did 4.6M and #3 on debut and it was a moderate/low hit (in 2019, lower overall streams climate).

The 9M for months because it went viral on tik tok made it a smash, hence the HITMAKER is The Kid LAROI.

A smash on release were Driver's License and As It Was.

4 minutes ago, More Than A Melody said:

It debuted at #4 on Spotify Global how is that a smash? :rip: 

The song did 9M daily streams for months because it went viral on tik tok. How are you arguing this? 6M on debut for Justin Bieber and a #4 on global is nowhere near a smash. Lights Up by Harry did 4.6M and #3 on debut and it was a moderate/low hit. 9M for months because it's viral on tik tok is a smash, hence the HITMAKER is The Kid LAROI.

A smash on release were Driver's License and As It Was.

I bet Peaches was all Giveon and Daniel Caesar power, I'm The One was all DJ Khaled and Quavo and Intentions was Quavo as well. If he collabs with mostly flops and they all can't get a hit but with him, there must be a reason. If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck. Whatever makes you sleep baby boy. I don't understand why you wouldn't admit that Justin is still a big hitmaker as if your life depended on it, but well, not really my issue. 

3 minutes ago, ariananext said:

I bet Peaches was all Giveon and Daniel Caesar power, I'm The One was all DJ Khaled and Quavo and Intentions was Quavo as well. If he collabs with mostly flops and they all can't get a hit but with him, there must be a reason. If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck. Whatever makes you sleep baby boy. I don't understand why you wouldn't admit that Justin is still a big hitmaker as if your life depended on it, but well, not really my issue. 

Uh... I literally named Peaches as a Justin Bieber hit... it's right there in my message above. This is called a strawman fallacy, where you beat my arguments by acting like I gave different arguments than the ones I actually gave.

Stay is not a hit by Justin Bieber. It's a tik tok hit by The Kid LAROI. The rest of the songs named in the OP are definitely hits by Justin, but they're below Harry's hits. Never said Justin wasn't a big hitmaker. I'm simply arguing that Harry should be included in this list because he's a bigger hitmaker than Justin right now.

1. Doja

2. Dua

3. Abel

4. Olivia

5. Harry

6. Justin

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.