------------BARRIER------------

#5 Oops... I Did It Again - 25M sales

#7 1989 - 23M sales

#8 Teenage Dream 21M sales

#20 PRISM - 12M sales

#21 Born To Die - 12M sales

#29 My Everything 10M sales

Gaga deserves her success and more.

She deserved her success during 21 era and I'm glad it helped in promoting 19 which is her best album. To answer OP yeah she started being overrated during 25 and it's getting worse with 30 :celestial5:

she is undoubtedly

her existence makes Taylor's overratedness looks like nothing

Edited by lcylcy

I really like her and 21 deserved everything it got, it was a breath of fresh air in the middle of so much electronic / EDM stuff. With that said, 25 was inevitably going to be massive but it didn't needed go sweep awards left and right like it did, from that moment on I do consider her overrated.

2 minutes ago, Cloröx said:

She deserved her success during 21 era

so do you think 21's sales is not overrated :coffee2: its not even equal to prism+born to die+my everything+pure heroine's sales:monkey:

5 minutes ago, Juanny said:

Her vocals, absolutely.

Someone I know called her this generations Whitney Houston and i was like… Whitney, sweetie…

Although I love Adele I have all her albums on vinyl (:

Adele is known for having a great (not excellent) vocal technique. But what she excels at is her tone, I think thats what most people praise about her. Although I have to say that her technique on 30 is excellent, she will still have to prove it in the long run...

Also her peers have a very mild technique, tone, etc. All of them except Beyonce I'd say. Gaga has gotten really great too. So she shines in comparison with her other competitors. 

Yes

Just now, gustavothehuman said:

I really like her and 21 deserved everything it got, it was a breath of fresh air in the middle of so much electronic / EDM stuff. With that said, 25 was inevitably going to be massive but it didn't needed go sweep awards left and right like it did, from that moment on I do consider her overrated.

This isn't to say, however, that she is not a great artist. But even Adele herself knows that she didn't deserved to win AOTY with 25 for example. I'm not being unreasonable at all.

Yes. There's not much to her. She's very basic, bland and boring. A triple B, I fear 

Back in the day and overall, sure, yeah - I find it difficult to understand why the material she put out 2011-2015 warranted such sales. But these days, not so much.

17 minutes ago, Juanny said:

Her vocals, absolutely.

Someone I know called her this generations Whitney Houston and i was like… Whitney, sweetie…

I’m sorry? :skull:

Yes, there’s nothing she can do that Kelly Clarkson doesn’t do better. Leona Lewis is also a better vocalist, too. 

21 is a great album though. If she had simply vanished after that it wouldn’t be such a big deal. But she continues to be ridiculously successful despite the diminishing quality of her work. Her second Grammy sweep really sealed the deal on her being overrated; Pop Album, Pop Solo, and SOTY would’ve sufficed. 

19 and 21 were stellar so she deserved those flowers. 25 and 30 are in fact overrated. So I’ll say the latter part of her career is.

whats up with the plethora of threads made to shade Adele :rip:

I'd say that prior to 25 her music wasn't overrated. 25 and 30 are definitely very overrated albums in my opinion.

12 minutes ago, Insanity said:

whats up with the plethora of threads made to shade Adele :rip:

A lot of people seem to have plenty of pent up frustration that she was so big and dominating for so long. One little slip and they cut her throat.

I just don't think a talented vocalist who puts out quality music can be overrated. I reserve the "overrated" status for artists who can't sing live, and put out either embarrassingly childish or incredibly boring bodies of work, but still get lumped in with actually good artists and vocalists thanks to their marketing.

So, no. I personally think other artists are better (Gaga and Beyoncé for instance), but I don't think she's overrated. I can understand her appeal and I think who goes first and who goes second is more of a personal choice that I can't justifiably call "wrong" because it doesn't match mine.

not really 

30 is her only album that is really excellent for me but she really appeals to a broad demographic and has some of the best singles out of any MPG

annoying gays can seethe that she doesn't do choreo or serve "iconic moments" :rip: she is talented and her success is for the most part, deserved 

28 minutes ago, Cruel Summer said:

Back in the day and overall, sure, yeah - I find it difficult to understand why the material she put out 2011-2015 warranted such sales. But these days, not so much.

I think that she thrived so much back in the early 2010s because she was seen as the "authentic",  "organic" and "talented" alternative to the "typical" pop girls (Katy Perry, Kesha, Rihanna, etc.), which were seen as "artificial", her marketing was on point back then. Also, her music had a lot of appeal to older generations (who mostly buy physicals) and pure sales were still big back then, so that helped her. None of that is a thing anymore (+she took a reeeally long break) and she's shown to be unrelatable and kinda pretentious, so the consequence is a big decline.

Edited by G.U.Y_Del_Rey

For sure, during the 25 era

she literally de-evolved, yet she was getting so much praise

(but lbr, it was from 21's impact..along with the horrible earworm that Hello was) (the album had Few good songs..the rest was filler lbr)

I understand how her sound became so famous...but..Amy Winehouse did the same thing?

or ppl really were affected that much by her antics?

idk..I am mostly surprised that more acts haven't been As popular..

so I guess in turn..yea..I do think she might be overrated a bit because others who were in a similar situation, didn't get as much push
(like..she has arguably the most successful album since..Bodyguard? (not sure) that is almost Too huge for that material in that time and day)

((although I guess that does prove the fan narrative that safe and "boring" music prevails a lot of the times..at least with White *female* artists))

some will say that she is getting the backlash for not upholding what "was great about her"

but like..what was she supposed to do anyways, to continue being as successful as b4

Not hating on her tho, I like her music

and I've been mostly defending her this era...

2 minutes ago, G.U.Y_Del_Rey said:

I think that she thrived so much back in the early 2010s because she was seen as the "authentic",  "organic" and "talented" alternative to the "typical" pop girls (Katy Perry, Kesha, Rihanna, etc.), which were seen as "artificial", her marketing was on point back then. Also, her music had a lot to appeal to older generations (who mostly buy physicals) and pure sales were still big back then, so that heleéd her.

I suppose the difficult part for me to understand is: why her? Why was Adele the conduit for authenticity as it took over from the Gaga/Katy style pop era? Certainly there were other artists doing it, and certainly there were some who were better. Was it just that she was good enough and released at just the right time with the right lyrics to broadly generalize across anyone’s life? A perfect storm of factors? I guess what I mean is that I’ve never found her material impressive enough to warrant the sales of 21 and 25.

5 minutes ago, Juanny said:

These are good points!

You have been making quite a few good points recently! :clap3: 

:heart: 

Taylor is :giraffe:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.