House of the Dragon | Season 2 | Episode 2: 'Rhaenyra the Cruel' | GoT Prequel

Eóghan
Tsareena
Message added by Tsareena,

Please keep book spoilers and related discussions in spoilers tags

18 minutes ago, Hephaestus said:

When I tell you I got chills during the shot of the dragon flying over the city and in the ending with Rhaenyra being named the heir then cutting to the credits with GoT's main theme, whew! :jonny5:

The actress who plays Rhaenyra ate the entire episode and left no crumbs. She just exudes star power in the same way Daenerys did. Daemon was also excellent, but that's expected from Matt Smith. Rhaenys was also very good despite getting very few scenes, she gives me strong Olenna vibes.

There are some things that could be better though:

- the dragons and some locations' CGI were not great, especially compared to the final seasons of GoT; it's weird because one'd expect them to be even better with the experience they have from that show and the improvements in VFX

- the wigs (especially the ones worn by men) are bad, like laughably bad

- I found it weird that they made it look like the baby was alive and healthy only for them to cut to the funeral and showing him next to his mother; what the f*ck happened? :skull:

Overall a great episode though, I can see this getting as big as GoT if handled with care.

Nah they made it pretty clear when the baby started coughing and the men who was holding him had a worried face, he was born sick

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mystery

• Drowned8World

• Lil Mxnster

• Terylee

1 minute ago, Starkboy said:

Nah they made it pretty clear when the baby started coughing and the men who was holding him had a worried face, he was born sick

I must've missed it then, thanks for pointing it out. I heard him cry and I though everything went well, but I expected something to happen to him anyway to kickstart the events of the story.

Actually, I don't mind that the CGI looks poor in castles, fortresses and boats... But dragons :dancehall3: Syrax was made of clay in some scenes. 

2 hours ago, M André said:
  Hide contents

That actually means the finale and everything from GOT that is not from the books isn’t canon since that line came out form George himself 

Wait….:jonny5:

The maesters probably killed baby Baelon. They hate the Targaryens. They probably also killed some of Jaehaerys children. He had 13 freakin children and none of them sat on the throne. Sick.

Wow!  George, Miguel, and Ryan came through!  That was a great premiere!

I was not expecting to like Rhaenyra nearly as much as I did.  She's absolutely giving Daenerys vibes and Milly is eating.  Paddy Considine and Matt Smith were great, but Milly ate them both up in every scene.  Very impressive.  

I am also liking Viserys more too.  I was expecting him to be another Robert but he has a lot more agency and is more layered.  

Daemon was fun, as expected.  Mysaria, Criston, Rhaenys, Corlys, and Otto all had great introductions.  Alicent was kinda meh but I guess she's supposed to be at this point.  Aemma's death was horrific, and it was really interesting to see the violence of labor juxtaposed against the violence of the tourney.  Love how these writers care about themes and don't think they're just for eighth grade book reports :foxaylove3:

I had no issues with the CGI and thought the dragons looked great.  Only things I disliked were the lack of credits/theme, and the male Targs cheap, dry, stale, crispy wigs :rip: 

Like why can't they look like this:

j5qrcy4cj3c91.jpg

11 hours ago, Xantalli said:

Thank god!

30 minutes ago, Terylee said:

The maesters probably killed baby Baelon. They hate the Targaryens. They probably also killed some of Jaehaerys children. He had 13 freakin children and none of them sat on the throne. Sick.

Wait, you might be onto something! :eek:

3 hours ago, mokitsu said:

9.1 on imdb

87bTioi.gif

Ugh we are all boo boo the fools for getting invested again but damn did the premiere do a bang up job of instantely getting people‘s good will back :jonny6: 

Wait so exactly what books is this based on? How many of them? About how many seasons would this be?

12 minutes ago, Itz_Dani! said:

Wait so exactly what books is this based on? How many of them? About how many seasons would this be?

It’s based on Fire and Blood, which is a “fake” history book on the Targaryen family. And this particular story is planned to last 3-4 seasons according to the showrunners, after which they may turn the series into an anthology show to tell other Targaryen related stories.

Been that *****, still that *****!

Just finished watching :jonny5:

i’m still shook. It felt like early GOT seasons :WAP: 

i had no problem with the wigs and the cgi? maybe with some parts of the fortresses and castles, looked kinda cheap compared to GOT S7/8 but everything else was great.

SYRAX GOLD SCALES IT LOOKS GORGEOUS :smitten2: and Caraxes has that serpent look to it she’s that scary *****

Spoiler

I loved Daemon sassy attitude towards Otto lmao. 

Milly Alcock nailed the acting tbh. She CARRIED the episode. 

Aemma’s death was very intense and made me emotional, she was so sweet :monkey: 

The episode was good, though its ending didn't really leave me wanting more NOW like ep. 1 of GOT did.  That said, the franchise doesn't really need to hook people in that same way, so I didn't mind the different approach.

The wigs, though, are just :rip: I can't at the fact that I'm more attracted to Matt Smith as Prince Phillip than as Prince Daemon, and it's honestly just because of that terrible wig lol.

Can't wait for Queen Eve Best to SLAY me again like she did on Nurse Jackie!!! :duca:

I hope you guys know that the only reason you think those wigs are bad is because you are gays stanning popgirls who frequently change wigs :skull:

and the CGI was quite goood, idg the complaints?!

so you wig-haters think that Westeros has modern haircare products? you think Daemon should be flat-ironing his hair every morning? that's realistic?

it's probably super humid in King's Landing too.

the wigs are fine. they look like real, sometimes unkempt hair. it is what it is.

Re: cheap-looking CGI - it's not a budget issue and it certainly isn't them not benefitting from the learning curve GoT gave them. It's a time issue, plain and simple - same as every other CG-heavy cinema piece, especially the Marvel ones. They're hard bottlenecked by time constraints (hell, episode 6 that we've received looked absolutely foolish and some parts were just plain blacked out with a VFX is missing text lmao) and there just isn't enough capacity to make them better-looking. Sad, though, as they're 95% done and the remaining 5% would make it absolutely amazing, but they know they can get away with it so the effort isn't there.

Wigs for the most part are ok, Corlys and his son does look ridiculous though.

I'm curious about what you will think about the Crab Feeder side-storyline. 

That side mission shines the greatest light on the obvious faults of narrative storymaking in the first act of the season imho.

6 hours ago, Eóghan said:

I wish they recasted young Alicent, she's the weakest link of the whole episode, the fact she's gonna be with us for 5 episodes ugh

Milly Alcock bodied this episode on the other hand, she literally carried the whole thing on her back :worship2: At least she'll grace us for just as long.

It's especially annoying since I know Olivia Cooke is goin to be my favorite thing about this show just based on the clips and trailers.

And sadly she's not going to improve much -- quite the contrary, actually, when she gets meatier scenes before the mid-season jump. The role switch with Cooke was the biggest, glaring difference on Ep. 6, thankfully she's plain amazing right out of the gate. Same is Emma D'Arcy but Alcock is eating good with her scenes aswell.

I love how the premiere was so excellent that the only thing we have to fight about are the wigs :lmao: 

9 minutes ago, Miles. said:

I love how the premiere was so excellent that the only thing we have to fight about are the wigs :lmao: 

this. 

The way I’m still thinking about this show today. I just want more already :jonny:

I’m sure older Rhaenyra will be great, since they obviously cast her for a reason, but I’m going to miss the f out of Milly. Or I wonder if this show will keep doing flashbacks to keep Milly. :rip:

I haven't watched the episode yet. Did they make an iconic intro/credits sequence again? :thing:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.