• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mystery

• Drowned8World

• Lil Mxnster

• Terylee

On 11/5/2022 at 10:51 AM, DirtyPony87 said:

Through this action, they just made Rhaenys the most evil character on the show so far. That was an absurdity.

i think they're inadvertently setting her up as the unofficial villain because none of the upcoming carnage would've happened if she just Dracarys-ed the sh*t out of those Green rats when she had the chance :dies:

I hope future seasons of this show and other GOT projects don’t get affected by the recent WB/HBO purge :biblio:

You’d think they would not stop putting out content from their most successful IP because it’s a stupid decision but they haven’t been know for good decisions lately. 

Edited by Itz_Dani!

On 11/5/2022 at 1:17 AM, Seiko Oomori said:

Hide contents

I’ll never understand how Rhaenys was okay with crushing scores of people to death in the Sept but not incinerating the Greens because of some moral principle ?

That scene is one of the show's weakest moments for me, in how it seems to have been done that way purely for spectacle rather than making sense for the character. Hundreds of innocent people died for what?  And it's only worsened by the fact that in the next episode, she praises Rhaenyra's restraint and efforts not to plunge the realm in a bloodshed. It's the one scene I felt the show tried to enhance drama at the expense of good writing. (GOT later seasons vs GOT first 4 seasons) 

Some people think it's nonsensical for her not to fry The Green's right there on the spot when she had the perfect chance, but I disagree. At that time, it really wasn't her war to start and killing the royal family in front of all people to see would have been political suicide as kinslaying is considered to be very shameful in Westeros and one the worst things one can do. 

I can't believe people are still being obtuse about the Rhaenys scene :deadbanana:

This is an old woman who most likely developed a very deep bond with her dragon over the course of her life. And the dragon was being held captive from her in an underground cave.

A noble of the highest rank in Westeros was not gonna leave with her tail between her legs and leave one of the biggest and most powerful DRAGON in the world behind because some PEASANTS were in the way for fucks sake. What was she gonna do instead, casually tell everyone 'Hey guys would you mind moving to the side a bit, I'm trying to move around with my dragon here thanks'?

There was absolutely nothing wrong with it from a story writing pov and it made for a spectacular scene.

Go watch the freaking Powerpuff girls if you can't think beyond of what you see on screen :rip: 

1 hour ago, AxelFox said:

I can't believe people are still being obtuse about the Rhaenys scene :deadbanana:

This is an old woman who most likely developed a very deep bond with her dragon over the course of her life. And the dragon was being held captive from her in an underground cave.

A noble of the highest rank in Westeros was not gonna leave with her tail between her legs and leave one of the biggest and most powerful DRAGON in the world behind because some PEASANTS were in the way for fucks sake. What was she gonna do instead, casually tell everyone 'Hey guys would you mind moving to the side a bit, I'm trying to move around with my dragon here thanks'?

There was absolutely nothing wrong with it from a story writing pov and it made for a spectacular scene.

Go watch the freaking Powerpuff girls if you can't think beyond of what you see on screen :rip: 

!!

A Targaryen princess and her DRAGON were being held captive, what else do y’all think was going to happen? 
It was inevitable and made perfect sense.

1 hour ago, AxelFox said:

spill 

It’s so mad how infuriating stupid some people are to think she WASN’T going to have to kill people to break her dragon out of captivity :deadbanana2:

And “why didn’t she burn the greens?” Why after they just crowed Aegon king in front of the masses? Sure. That’ll make people welcome Rhaenyra with open arms and bring tons of stability to the realm. And she has nothing to gain. She wouldn’t even be queen. Rhaenyra would. Why would she massacre half of her family for someone else? :deadbanana: Absolute worms for brains. 

Bunch of morons istg. I hope y’all don’t go into film because your ideas of “what makes sense” wouldn’t actually make sense and would be panned.  

Edited by Gaia

:rip:

We can have a discussion about things without resorting to insulting people for having a different pov, like the grown adults we are. It's what the thread is for.  :rip: Pretentious weirdos

Edited by Mandalore

28 minutes ago, Gaia said:

It’s so mad how infuriating stupid some people are to think she WASN’T going to have to kill people to break her dragon out of captivity :deadbanana2:

And “why didn’t she burn the greens?” Why after they just crowed Aegon king in front of the masses? Sure. That’ll make people welcome Rhaenyra with open arms and bring tons of stability to the realm. And she has nothing to gain. She wouldn’t even be queen. Rhaenyra would. Why would she massacre half of her family for someone else? :deadbanana: Absolute worms for brains. 

Bunch of morons istg. I hope y’all don’t go into film because your ideas of “what makes sense” wouldn’t actually make sense and would be panned.  

Oop

21 hours ago, Anye said:

He would make a good Maegor. Too old for Aegon I which is what I saw most people fancast him as.

9 hours ago, popmusicisdead said:

i think they're inadvertently setting her up as the unofficial villain because none of the upcoming carnage would've happened if she just Dracarys-ed the sh*t out of those Green rats when she had the chance :dies:

I don’t know if they are, though. During the “Inside the Episode” segment, they called the moment ”heroic,” like it was just her being an epic girlboss for doing that. 

It was an absurd character moment that throws out narrative sense for spectacle. This is on par with some of the stuff we got out of seasons 7 and 8 of Game of Thrones.

2 hours ago, Mandalore said:

:rip:

We can have a discussion about things without resorting to insulting people for having a different pov, like the grown adults we are. It's what the thread is for.  :rip: Pretentious weirdos

:rip: Right? They’ve been foaming at the mouth for pages in this thread. I guess just ignore them and pray they get a moment to go outside and breathe some fresh air this weekend. :toofunny2:

Anyway. Reading over the last few pages, it’s funny how the book readers are mocked and insulted, when it’s the ones complaining about the book readers who come off as annoying and pretentious. :redface:

I will say that I am a little bit concerned about the upcoming seasons. I hope the show continues to serve quality, but I’m noticing that the weakest moments of the season are the ones with heavy action. Ones where they throw logic, as well as narrative and character sense out the window. I’m thinking the tourney in episode 1 with highborns dying like it’s nothing (this one’s not too bad but still very weird - nobles dying at tourneys is extremely rare and often very notable - example of this is the Tyrells holding a grudge against Oberyn for crippling Willas Tyrell at a tourney - Joffrey Lonmouth was supposed to be murdered by Criston Cole at a tourney instead of at a wedding feast, which is pretty ridiculous), the mess in episode 9 with Rhaenys, Joffrey being murdered by Criston in episode 5 and just being allowed to walk out then have the queen approach him unaccompanied to interrupt him from committing sudoku, Daemon donning 5 layers of plot armor in episode 3 to avoid arrows like some kind of superhero and defeat soldiers as they approach him politely 1-by-1, etc. The next few seasons are going to be extremely action heavy (not a spoiler - the show is literally about a civil war, and we all know that), and I just hope that we don’t get more moments that are dramatic or impressive spectacles at the expense of plot and characterization. Just “make it make sense.” We don’t want a repeat of the last few seasons of Game of Thrones - extremely impressive technically, but just absolutely absurd and nonsensical. But I fear that this is a definite possibility.

5 hours ago, AxelFox said:

4 hours ago, Dark Miracles said:

!!

A Targaryen princess and her DRAGON were being held captive, what else do y’all think was going to happen? 
It was inevitable and made perfect sense.

Eh, the show did nothing to explain why she had to burst through concrete (which left her without a scratch and apparently didn't even disturb a strand of her hair) to escape the dragon pit as though dragons didn't go in and out of the pit regularly without doing that. It's not like the only way in and out of the dragon pit is to cause a demolition every single time. If there were guards at the regular exit, what stopped her from just roasting them and going through?

Because it wasn't presented as inevitable, (especially as she apparently had time to put on her armour), it came off as a choice. A puzzling one, given all that's already been said.

7 hours ago, Mandalore said:

That scene is one of the show's weakest moments for me, in how it seems to have been done that way purely for spectacle rather than making sense for the character. Hundreds of innocent people died for what?  And it's only worsened by the fact that in the next episode, she praises Rhaenyra's restraint and efforts not to plunge the realm in a bloodshed. It's the one scene I felt the show tried to enhance drama at the expense of good writing. (GOT later seasons vs GOT first 4 seasons) 

Some people think it's nonsensical for her not to fry The Green's right there on the spot when she had the perfect chance, but I disagree. At that time, it really wasn't her war to start and killing the royal family in front of all people to see would have been political suicide as kinslaying is considered to be very shameful in Westeros and one the worst things one can do. 

The way you're completely right. It objectively made sense for her not to burn them but it also made no sense in that scene considering what she had already done just moments before. To show someone who had been built up as sensible and measured just throw her restraint out the window and slaughter hundreds of people (for no logical story reason apart from the desire for a girl boss moment) and then suddenly remember her restraint a moment after is ridiculous.

33 minutes ago, DirtyPony87 said:

I don’t know if they are, though. During the “Inside the Episode” segment, they called the moment ”heroic,” like it was just her being an epic girlboss for doing that. 

It was an absurd character moment that throws out narrative sense for spectacle. This is on par with some of the stuff we got out of seasons 7 and 8 of Game of Thrones.

That's exactly why I took issue with that scene. They presented it like "She's a badass for that!". When characters in GOT did something deplorable , they were portrayed thusly. Jaime had a multi-season redemption arc for pushing a kid off a tower. Or it made sense for them narratively, like Cersei blowing up The Sept. It was earned. This Rhaenys thing is just being glossed over like it's nothing. Like it doesn't even require no comment nor reflection. It's fine to have your characters make morally grey decisions, but you have to earn it with good writing. Not glossing over it completely without a single acknowledgement of it being pretty messed-up. 

I looked it up and apparently this wasn't even in the book? (I'm trying not to get spoiled) 

But I guess not falling for the pathetic yaaaaassss #Queen kill those peasants out of nowhere makes one not smart enough for this show  :redface:

54 minutes ago, TheFireLexus said:

The way you're completely right. It objectively made sense for her not to burn them but it also made no sense in that scene considering what she had already done just moments before. To show someone who had been built up as sensible and measured just throw her restraint out the window and slaughter hundreds of people (for no logical story reason apart from the desire for a girl boss moment) and then suddenly remember her restraint a moment after is ridiculous.

People will argue that peasants are inconsequential, collateral damage to a great escape but this was obviously a stylistic choice and not some narrative dead-end where she had no option. It doesn't help that Rhaenys is portrayed as a level-headed, careful woman. It's giving "Daenerys kinda forgot about Euron's fleet" Dan & Dave levels of writing :rip:

But beyond that, this season was a return form for the franchise as a whole. Great character arcs and seamless transitions. Rhaenyra, Alicent, Viserys and even the kids with the little time they got were very good. 

Edited by Mandalore

1 hour ago, Mandalore said:

That's exactly why I took issue with that scene. They presented it like "She's a badass for that!". When characters in GOT did something deplorable , they were portrayed thusly. Jaime had a multi-season redemption arc for pushing a kid off a tower. Or it made sense for them narratively, like Cersei blowing up The Sept. It was earned. This Rhaenys thing is just being glossed over like it's nothing. Like it doesn't even require no comment nor reflection. It's fine to have your characters make morally grey decisions, but you have to earn it with good writing. Not glossing over it completely without a single acknowledgement of it being pretty messed-up. 

I looked it up and apparently this wasn't even in the book? (I'm trying not to get spoiled) 

But I guess not falling for the pathetic yaaaaassss #Queen kill those peasants out of nowhere makes one not smart enough for this show  :redface:

I think you hit the nail on the head here. It's all style and no substance whatsoever. It was for mere shock value because they needed something exciting to close out that part of the story for the season. The mental gymnastics to try to justify this mess are worthy of the Olympics. I won't spoil anything, but no, this did not happen in the books. I'm surprised that George would even allow something this absurd to happen given how involved he is in this show. At the same time, though, he's been more interested in creating an MCU-like universe for Game of Thrones, so that does not bode well for the quality of the franchise and the prospect of the books.

And you're also right about there being no narrative dead-end to make this the result. As has been repeated in this thread ad nauseam and has been established in the books, this is not the layout of the Dragonpit. It doesn't even make sense logistically.

8 hours ago, AxelFox said:

It was still a bad scene. Ep 1 shown us there is a back entrance for the pit that she could’ve used (and probably did in the book, considering there’s no account of show version happening in the book). We’ve seen that while she’s not as ambitious as her husband, she clearly loves her family and values their safety. Her not roasting the Hightowers (or at least eating a few of them if she doesn’t want to kill all) because it wasn’t her war to start doesn’t make sense. Her true-born grandchildren are suppose to marry into the opposing faction. A bloody and prolonged war for succession would put them (and their lives) in danger. Any rational person with her same characterization would’ve ended it right there (she clearly has no issue with taking lives (within show context) considering she trampled on a hundred or so people to make her entrance). It was simply a bad scene used as spectacle for no reason other than shallow entertainment. :lakitu:

Rate HOTD Season 1 :celestial4:

As a whole, it's 7.7 for me :coffee2: Best episode? Episode 8 without a doubt :clap3:

Edited by Lil Mxnster

2 hours ago, Lil Mxnster said:

Rate HOTD Season 1 :celestial4:

As a whole, it's 7.7 for me :coffee2: Best episode? Episode 8 without a doubt :clap3:

A solis 7.0

Episode 10 is the best for me

3 hours ago, RihFenty20 said:

It was still a bad scene. Ep 1 shown us there is a back entrance for the pit that she could’ve used (and probably did in the book, considering there’s no account of show version happening in the book). We’ve seen that while she’s not as ambitious as her husband, she clearly loves her family and values their safety. Her not roasting the Hightowers (or at least eating a few of them if she doesn’t want to kill all) because it wasn’t her war to start doesn’t make sense. Her true-born grandchildren are suppose to marry into the opposing faction. A bloody and prolonged war for succession would put them (and their lives) in danger. Any rational person with her same characterization would’ve ended it right there (she clearly has no issue with taking lives (within show context) considering she trampled on a hundred or so people to make her entrance). It was simply a bad scene used as spectacle for no reason other than shallow entertainment. :lakitu:

Spill :clap3:

the actors who played Lucerys and Jacaerys are doing a live right now on tiktok

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.