• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mystery

• Drowned8World

• Lil Mxnster

• Terylee

1 hour ago, Terrielle said:

The author MUST secretly hate the gays. Cause ain't no damn way they always die and they die BRUTALLY.

Me when I write my memoir 

1 hour ago, Brunette Ambition said:

Christon was threatened ofc he wouldn’t just accept that :rip: had nothing to do with homophobia  

Except he wasn’t really threatened, sure Joff hinted at mutually assured destruction, but the primary message was that they should be allies because they are in similar positions and need to protect their loved ones (and themselves). He snapped because in his deranged head, Joff comparing them only means that he’s as honourable as a ***** (something he doesn’t take lightly as he worked all his life for his position). Take the boat engagement, he didn’t even want to marry her because he loved her. The entire time he spoke about his honour and how marrying her would maybe absolve him of his vow-breaking sin. Homophobia could also have been apart of it because gays were not very accepted in that society and are often seem as feminine (hence Daemons “as pretty as your brother” comment to Laena). So he could’ve also seen the comparison as a disrespect to his manliness and virtue as a knight. So in his head, any last drop of honour he may have had before, was definitely gone and he took it out of Joff who exposed him to that harsh truth.

Edited by RihFenty20

1 hour ago, RihFenty20 said:

Except he wasn’t really threatened, sure Joff hinted at mutually assured destruction, but the primary message was that they should be allies because they are in similar positions and need to protect their loved ones (and themselves). He snapped because in his deranged head, Joff comparing them only means that he’s as honourable as a ***** (something he doesn’t take lightly as he worked all his life for his position). Take the boat engagement, he didn’t even want to marry her because he loved her. The entire time he spoke about his honour and how marrying her would maybe absolve him of his vow-breaking sin. Homophobia could also have been apart of it because gays were not very accepted in that society and are often seem as feminine (hence Daemons “as pretty as your brother” comment to Laena). So he could’ve also seen the comparison as a disrespect to his manliness and virtue as a knight. So in his head, any last drop of honour he may have had before, was definitely gone and he took it out of Joff who exposed him to that harsh truth.

There has been no indication that his crime is motivated by his sexuality. It is pretty stupid to approach a warrior or a knight and threaten them, regardless of your status. I guess one could argue, just as stupid as killing someone in plain sight. Either way, it was made clear before that he is not a calculated character. He is honest but impulsive and seeing that his "honor" was hanging by a thread, he clearly was going to explode. 

Either way, Criston was clearly on the verge of exploding already at the beginning of the wedding after confessing to Alicent. I don't understand how people are saying his reaction was surprising. The whole scene, I was just waiting to see who was going to be his victim, as he seemed super anxious and distressed throughout the ceremony and was clearly ready to snap a neck or two for it.

Edited by jadeabove

7 hours ago, KeirGrey said:

Did anyone lose all attraction to Ser Cole after that boat scene? 

So weak

Well knowing some of the story from the books, I was never really into him at all and felt like the hype his relationship with Rhaenyra received was based on his looks alone. Which is also hilarious considering book Daemon and Cole switch places in the looks department. Daemon is the looker and Cole is just an average man from what I remember. 

The actor is still fine tho, I follow him on Instagram but he doesn't really post himself a lot.

Alicent! Loved that entrance and the fashion statement. She’s definitely stepping up and I’m so here for Olivia Cooke to really take the character to a new level. Emily Carey has such a soft voice, Olivia will really command. 

Ser Criston…. They set up the switch perfectly. I felt bad for Laenor, especially having to get marrie right after that but yeah the dude was really taunting Criston. I would assume Criston was smarter but yeah he’s just an honorable knight. Maybe he’ll be more cunning with the time jump. 

Also, Daemon is a dick. Just leave the Vale alone, hope Viserys stops him. 

Im sorry but I hate how dark the whole show is, the lack of light is so annoying. 

4 hours ago, Park Jinyoung said:

Laenor wig is really not it :rip: it’s giving hard hat

how could they do him so wrong when corlys is slaying like that

It’s giving mop head

6 hours ago, RihFenty20 said:

Great Ep. Criston is kings guard so he’ll likely make up a lie about Rhaenyra being threatened (it would’ve been better if they kept the tourney death). I’m a bit confused as to why he believes he’s so honourable yet he slept with the princess in the first place. I loathe Jon Snow but he stopped all Daenerys’ advances after he found out the truth (although, he’s not really a good example of honour either since he assassinated her like a coward). 

I will say that I’m a bit worried about the pacing so far. We don’t really know the characters nor the dynamics of the great houses and important characters like Harwin and Laenor, who have basically been reduced to side characters. it feels like they’re still trying to find the balance between the slow-burn plot book-readers love and the big sequences that causals like. 

How would that fly when she was almost hurt in the stampede he caused and he didnt give a flying f.ck about her? Also he punched Laenor. I'm not sure this this included in the guards manual.

Talking of guards why was he allowed to be the only one without his helmet at the wedding (sure looking sharp in the process)? I guess the writers needed him to stand out but that's lazy writing. It also doesn't make sense that it's Joffrey not Laenor who recognized him as Rhaenyra's lover. I can buy a cousin who probably talked with her about their duck preferences (i like that metaphore) before instantly spotting her side piece but who's this rando to do the same? Maybe i'm team Cole on this character. 

Edited by tigalion

11 hours ago, jadeabove said:

Sure, Ned Stark was the most calculated person of Season 1 of GOT. The patriarch of House Stark is the least calculated of the lords of the Seven Kingdoms. Just like Criston he is honest and just, which is what brought him to his death. In fact, I see some parallels between Ned/Jon and Criston Cole, including the "seed is strong" statement. Criston also suggested to Rhaenyra to abandon the idea of the throne and her duty to live life, just like lovers of Dany used to do (I forgot who exactly).

IMO, parts of the theme of HOTD is that they are showing how history tends to repeat itself, and as much as we'd like this to change, without knowing your own history, you are doomed to repeat it.

Please don't disrespect house Stark like that. Ned took in an orphan as his bastard destroying his reputation as an honorable man even to his wife and kept Jon's secret identity to his grave. Criston immediately blabbed at the first occasion and destroyed the reputation of Rhaenyra. This two are not comparable. 

1 minute ago, tigalion said:

How would that fly when she was almost hurt in the stampede hé caused and je didnt give a flying f.ck about her? Also he punched Laenor. I'm not sure this included in the guards manual.

Talking of guards why was he allowed to be the only one without his helmet at the wedding (sure looking sharp in the process)? I guess the writers needed him to stand out but that's lazy writing. It also doesn't make sense that it's Joffrey not Laenor who recognized him as Rhaenyra's lover. I can buy a cousin who probably talked about their duck preferences (i like that metaphore) before instantly spotting her side piece but who's this rando to the same? Maybe i'm team Cole in this character. 

I mean it’s not that farfetched to think that a semi-seasoned noble would be able to sniff it out, especially since he knew to look for it in the first place. Plus, Laenor was too busy doing his duty to observe in the way Joff could. 

i agree that the handling of the scene was a bit messy and the change in Joff’s death was a D&Desque spectacle, but budget probably influenced it. I’m not going to judge too harshly until I see how they cover it. 

Alicent will be the real bi#tch i fear, she is the most loveable character so far her action has strong reason she also has pure love and sacrifice for her father obsession, rhaenyra becomes very egoistical,  anyway the brutally killing scene is unneeded tbh,  poor leanor. 

6 hours ago, RihFenty20 said:

He basically went up to stranger and outed himself and the prince, it was his fault entirely.    It’s not safe to just do that in present time.

I'm really gonna miss Milly, she gave an amazing performance. I hope she blows up after this.

So excited for Olivia Cooke, from the previews I already know she's gonna eat it :jonny5:

I just realize that Alicent remind me so much of hurem.. . Lol 

spacer.png

She could end up being a fan favorite judging by how the story depelovs, plus olivia seems like doing a great job with the role,  i think she will end up being the true winner. 

#TeamGreen. 

Edited by Pinter

17 minutes ago, Pinter said:

spacer.png

She could end up being a fan favorite judging by how the story depelovs, plus olivia seems like doing a great job with the role,  i think she will end up being the true winner. 

#TeamGreen. 

skream, this is so true

So Criston killed a man and he's just going to get away with it ? Gosh, I think I'll stop watching the show... It's giving me GOT season 7 and 8 :mazen:

9 hours ago, Park Jinyoung said:

Laenor wig is really not it :rip: it’s giving hard hat

how could they do him so wrong when corlys is slaying like that

It literally takes me out of the story everytime. And it doesn't help that he's a terrible actor.

1 hour ago, Pinter said:

spacer.png

#TeamGreen. 

But Hurem was smart, and cruel?

7 hours ago, Venom said:

Why did I just see a random clip from GOT where Joffrey explains what happens to Rhaenyra 

New York New York Pollard GIF - New York New York Pollard Tiffany Pollard GIFs

That's kind of the issue with prequels, it's all established lore and history, so if you watched the show and/or read the books then you already know how everything will turn out and the fates of all the characters. 

4 hours ago, Pinter said:

spacer.png

#TeamGreen. 

Wait… manifest it sis :WAP:

I can already tell Alicent is gonna become THAT ***** after the time skip, it’s giving Cersei

Finally a great episode! And wait so with everyone here saying that the plot will finally start that means that we had like a 5 episode prologue?? 

Anyway Velarion house is giving Slytherin they even had like a big snake head inside of the castle.

Criston is so dumb and a redux Jon Snow 2.0 who was already basic and dumb what he did was kinda OOC.

Yeah Alicent is turning into Cersei right?

I can’t stand Daemon and how he always gets his way, for once I was waiting for him to kidnap the princess and fly away then time jump but nope.

I’ve been mostly really enjoying the show so far, but I really don’t know how I feel about the last episode. So far my biggest complaint was the battle scene at the end of episode 3 (unrealistic arrow dodging, dramatic buildup to a predictable dragon entrance, why didn’t the Crabfeeder see that coming?, why was he killed off screen?), but I think episode 5 might have been overall even messier.

• Driftmark looked empty af.
  • Laenor’s wig is awful, and his character had no memorable dialogue that entire episode. I think the actor not being that great is a contributing factor.
  • At this point, a wedding going wrong is more expected in Game of Thrones than it is subverted expectations.
  • Joffrey assuming Rhaenyra and Criston are sleeping together based on the way they looked at each other seemed like a giant reach.
  • Joffrey had no good reason to confront Criston about it and also reveal his relationship with Laeor right then and there, especially if homosexuality was as taboo in the realm as it appears to be.
  • Still don’t understand why Criston beat Joffrey to death, and I’ve seen people attempt to justify it by saying Criston felt threatened by Joffrey’s words but that is still a massively overblown reaction.
  • Why did no one from either House Targaryen or House Velaryon stop him from killing a nobleman?
  • Why did no one stop him from leaving?
  • Criston literally ruined a wedding party, murdered a nobleman in front of everyone, punched the future king-consort, put the future queen in danger, and he’s just gonna get zero consequences for all that? And this is the same guy who already got off scot-free for breaking his chastity vow with the future queen. :skull:
  • It’s hard not to see the last few points as a reward for a gay bashing. And I know people will defend it by saying life is brutish for everyone in the realm, but it’s no secret that the queer characters always meet especially quick and gruesome deaths (Oberyn, Renly, Loras, and then now Joffrey having his face pulverized in the most graphic way like a minute after coming out - even in the books he didn’t die until after the wedding).
  • I appreciate the attempt to insert modern ideas in medieval contexts, but at certain points throughout the episode it took me out of it, the cringe boat scene especially.
  • The overall pacing of the episode felt off. From the extremely slow start to the jumbled last few minutes.

That said, I am looking forward to seeing the new Rhaenyra and Alicent. Hoping the series only gets better from here.

Alicent and Larys conversation was my favourite scene from the episode :jonnycat:

Yeah, I agree with some critics. The fact that this episode is a mix of the best and the worst of Game Of Thrones :dancehall3: It introduces and develops characters perfectly and, all of a sudden, everything feels rushed and chaotic. Overall, it's a 7,5 ~ 8,0 score, imo. Just like the rest of the season, for the time being :sistrens:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.