• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mystery

• Drowned8World

• Lil Mxnster

• Terylee

12 hours ago, DirtyPony87 said:

Oof. Bad take. It was a mess in episode 1, too. And those weren't commonfolk; those were literally highborn knights - from smaller houses in the very, very least, which makes even less sense. Like I said, a lot of the major action setpieces in this show so far, while enjoyable, have been a little dicey in terms of logic. Of course these characters don't care about the common people - "The highborn play their game of thrones, and the commonpeople suffer." But this was so ridiculously over-the-top. I can't believe George let something like this fly. It was pretty absurd. I know they're making TV, and they need to make it spicy and exciting for audiences with short attention spans who can't watch 20 consecutive minutes of dialogue, but there are better ways to adapt the material to something that actually makes sense. Events of this gravity, with hundreds potentially dead, are typically treated like unforgivable abominations. This makes as little sense as the Ser Criston nonsense in episode 5.

9 hours ago, DirtyPony87 said:

Mmm no. I think the only “not very bright” person in this entire thread right now is YOU for trying to insult someone’s intelligence when discussing a plot point in a fûcking dragon show. And an absurd one, at that. Take a deep breath and maybe try to go outside and get some fresh air. :toofunny2:

While it makes sense from a character’s perspective at that very moment, it makes no sense from a story/logic perspective. And it certainly doesn’t make sense in the development of the character or the arc of that character this season, overall. The Rhaenys character that has been developed in the show so far and source material has no reason to blast her way through an auditorium full of people, in spite of the circumstances.

And on the subject of the circumstances that might have led to this ridiculous act, if that (what you described) really motivated her to straight-up murk those innocent bystanders, then she should have had even MORE motivation to roast the guilty, responsible people that actually caused those circumstances, as you said yourself. But she didn’t. Why? Because we need story. It just makes no sense whatsoever. There is no way anyone can make this story point sound logical - on neither a character nor a story perspective. What she did was evil. It was straight-up evil. Probably/arguably the most heinous act in the entire show so far. And that’s just not Rhaenys.

It’s clear that they just needed a big episode 9 set-piece (which is the norm for the Game of Thrones franchise around this time in the season), and this is what they decided to improvise. I do commend them on the spectacle - it wasn’t boring. But the execution was just so sloppy and contrived. They did this in episode 5, the “midseason finale,” so I’m hoping they don’t shoehorn in another poorly executed sequence with no rhyme or reason to it in the finale.

You are the writing dissertations on how dissatisfied you are that a "******* dragon show" killed some common folk in a scene with a dragon BREAKING OUT OF A DRAGON PIT :deadbanana2:  

What was she supposed to do? Politely open the ask people to move out of the way? Her dragon was literally being held captive where they were having their coronation :rip: 

Please stop watching a GoT related show if killing a few peasants gets you THIS upset. Like, it'll happen again. Save yourself the mental duress and stop watching.

They are about to start a war over who gets to sit on a throne. They do NOT care about common folk or war wouldn't even be an option. please :skull: 

Stop trying to hold this show to modern day morals. Targaryen history literally has them marrying brothers/sisters/cousins. Aegon is literally married to his sister. But you're freaking out over peasants dying :deadbanana2:

Edited by Gaia

Spoiler

I’m really frustrated with a lot of the changes they are making

Every pivotal moment of the war so far has either been a misunderstanding or a mistake 

First viserys and Alicents “misunderstanding” over Aegon 

now Aemond not meaning to kill Luke

it just doesn’t make sense - these characters HATE Rhaenyra and her children, but when it comes time for the plot to need them to do something, they are suddenly sympathetic and don’t mean to take action, only what, to make them feel more likeable to the audience? I really am starting to question a lot of the changes they are making. 

13 minutes ago, Mariah's Glove said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I’m really frustrated with a lot of the changes they are making

Every pivotal moment of the war so far has either been a misunderstanding or a mistake 

First viserys and Alicents “misunderstanding” over Aegon 

now Aemond not meaning to kill Luke

it just doesn’t make sense - these characters HATE Rhaenyra and her children, but when it comes time for the plot to need them to do something, they are suddenly sympathetic and don’t mean to take action, only what, to make them feel more likeable to the audience? I really am starting to question a lot of the changes they are making. 

you forgot the "We don't control the dragons, that's a myth" line. That was the whole point of that scene, its not about someone wanting or not wanting to do something.

Even if he took his eye like he originally wanted to, that would've still been a good enough reason to start a war, so I don't understand your anger.

For me the episode was fantastic :jonny: I love how this time it was from point of view of the Blacks.

I need to rewatch it once again before writing a longer review.

Edited by Hot Volcano

14 minutes ago, Hot Volcano said:
  Reveal hidden contents

you forgot the "We don't control the dragons, that's a myth" line. That was the whole point of that scene, its not about someone wanting or not wanting to do something.

Even if he took his eye like he originally wanted to, that would've still been a good enough reason to start a war, so I don't understand your anger.

For me the episode was fantastic :jonny: I love how this time it was from point of view of the Blacks.

I need to rewatch it once again before writing a longer review.

Spoiler

I get this, and even thinking about the Aemond scene more I kind of am already liking it a bit more. It gives him

more dimension, and will make sense when he kind of devolves into more of a psycho later on 

also, the Rhaenyra birthing scene was just awful to watch. Nearly had to fast forward, :’( so sad 

This is my fave episode of the season. Even tho I know what happens I was on the edge of my seat (my bed actually) the whole time. Torture that we have to wait at least two years until Season 2 is out.

My poor boy Arrax. :sosad:Lucerys as well. He did so well. 

Spoiler

I also didn't like how the Luke killing was an accident.. lame

And was so angry at Rhaenyra for not doing anything but after she stated her plan i approved

Overall, the finale is bottom half of the season.. a shame, but lemme rewatch it with HBO cause the viewing aint complete without subtitles.. sometimes i cant understand Daemon

Also Corlys is a king. I love that he his giving Rhaenyra his honest advice and is helping her to take the next step. Even tho he thinks that she was involved in his son's murder and Deamon killed his brother. Rhaenys as well. The way she smiles at her. My heart.

I'm ******* crying :cries: I'm still yet to finish the book. I didn't see this coming :cries:

Why is everyone saying the writers ****** it up and changed the story of what happens in the book:rip: I saw many tweets swearing at the writers of this episode. 

I should finish the book asap:biblionny:

can someone who read the book tell me the changes they made from the books in this specific episode? 

4 minutes ago, DerpGa said:

can someone who read the book tell me the changes they made from the books in this specific episode? 

Arrax was struggling to stay aloft in the storm as Aemond mounted Vhagar and went after Luke. Arrax was younger and swifter, and on a calm day might have been able to outfly his pursuer, but the weather impeded him, and Vhagar was five times the size of her foe and the hardened survivor of a hundred battles. The two dragons met above Shipbreaker Bay. According to Archmaester Gyldayn, if there was a fight it could not have lasted long. Arrax fell, broken, to be swallowed by the storm-lashed waters of the bay. His head and neck washed up beneath the cliffs below Storm's End three days later. Prince Lucerys's body was never found.

Mushroom's scurrilous Testimony claims Aemond located Luke's corpse, also washed up on the shore, and removed both of his eyes to present them to Lady Maris on a bed of seaweed, but Archmaester Gyldayn's history considers that unlikely. Gyldayn also notes that some claim that Vhagar snatched Lucerys off Arrax's back and swallowed him whole. Some have even claimed that Luke survived his fall and swam to safety, but lost all memory of who he was, spending the rest of his days as a simpleminded fisherman. But more legitimate historians such as Munkun disregard such tales, and state that Lucerys died with his dragon.[2]

Finished  My favourite scene was Harry's trying to catch the Golden Snitch, fighting against the dementors, in the middle of a storm. Also, the last scene with "There's no District 12" line, I felt that :clap3:

Edited by Lil Mxnster

11 hours ago, AxelFox said:

Please, the point just keeps flying over your head. 

It made total sense from a story/logic perspective and the fact that she did not burn the greens alive right there is the perfect culmination for the character's arc this season. THAT would've been real character assasination.

It's not that she was 'motivated to murk those innocent bystanders'. Her own life and that of her DRAGON were at stake. Hell they even showed you a scene of her seeing that lord hanged in the Red keep for his betrayal for God's sake. Rhaenys was potrayed as compassionate and vigilant, but she is no fool either. The only way for her to make it out alive from there WITH her dragon was to burst out from underneath, even if that resulted in some collateral damage. And everyone in there would have done the same in her position. It's not like she could've sneaked Meleys outside without nobody noticing and flee to Dragonstone. Stop trying to make it out as if she was casually flying around King's landing while the ceremony was taking place and just decided to go in and kill some guys for the sake of it. :toofunny3:

Now when she gets in Dracarys range to the greens, she probably considers it but ultimately chooses not to. She's always cared deeply about her family. Even with Vaemond who opposed her directly for the seat of Driftmark, she did not want him dead. She's not like Otto who would kill familly for preventive measures, that is not the way to do things for her. Cause ultimately most of them there were still her own kin. That really isn't something Rhaenys, of all characters, would have easily glossed over.

They did need a big set-piece for episode 9 and they did it very well. Perhaps it's you who needs to go outside and get some fresh air before watching any other episodes cause it's clear you are not paying enough attention to what you're seeing. 

Nothing you can say will justify that heinous act that Rhaenys committed without appropriate setup and payoff. And that’s fine. Just own it. It was entertaining and dazzling, but it was illogical and bizarre. Just like most of the major setpieces from seasons 6-8 of Game of Thrones. As much as people wanna praise episodes like Battle of the Bastards and The Winds of Winter (somewhat justified), they were filled with weird nonsense that made no sense whatsoever. I could say the same for this episode - it’s worthy of praise, but that last scene was comically bad. The grasping at straws to justify why it logistically makes sense (it’s the famed DRAGONPIT of King’s Landing - you’re not telling me that’s the entire setup), why it makes sense in character terms (Rhaenys was so distressed that she had to kill innocent bystanders to escape, but didn’t kill those who are responsible for the distress ?because we need story, not logic), or why it makes sense in terms of the story (this would never happen in such an absurd way in the books, which is why it didn’t) is never going to work on anyone who chooses to watch this episode with a critical eye. In terms of entertainment, whatever yas slay we stan. Enjoy!

spacer.png

7 hours ago, Terylee said:

Of course Team Green is mad.

Hide contents

There is only one bloodline that is still relevant when GoT starts.

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

6 hours ago, Anye said:

This is sique. 

2 hours ago, Gaia said:

You are the writing dissertations on how dissatisfied you are that a "******* dragon show" killed some common folk in a scene with a dragon BREAKING OUT OF A DRAGON PIT :deadbanana2:  

What was she supposed to do? Politely open the ask people to move out of the way? Her dragon was literally being held captive where they were having their coronation :rip: 

Please stop watching a GoT related show if killing a few peasants gets you THIS upset. Like, it'll happen again. Save yourself the mental duress and stop watching.

They are about to start a war over who gets to sit on a throne. They do NOT care about common folk or war wouldn't even be an option. please :skull: 

Stop trying to hold this show to modern day morals. Targaryen history literally has them marrying brothers/sisters/cousins. Aegon is literally married to his sister. But you're freaking out over peasants dying :deadbanana2:

No one is upset, boo boo. I’m not saying that it’s devastating and sad that those people were murdered - I simply said it was “bad” and didn’t make any sense in the context of the story, character, or logistics. I critiqued it for not making sense. If you had read my comment before replying, perhaps you would have been able to ascertain that within seconds, unless…never mind, actually.

And that’s fresh of you to speak on dissertations when my initial post that you first replied to was ONE sentence of me saying, “Yeah, that last scene was weird and illogical, and most of the major setpieces from this show so far have been weird and illogical.” Then, you initiated the longer responses. And here, you have the gall to post something like this, then call someone out on dissertations? Are you even hearing yourself? :toofunny2: Given your confusion over something as fresh as 24 hours, I fear that this won’t be a productive conversation. Best of luck to you! :)

spacer.png

Edited by DirtyPony87

Are the changes really significant for the plot of the Dance? Or is it book purists overreacting? be real

Hide contents

I don't see the big problem on dragons not obeying commands sometimes, George wrote them as a symbolism for nuclear weapons. Is it wise to put that on hands of a child or any men really? I think it's thematic appropiated to see the dragons act on their own, and perhaps them having more influence on the rider than otherwise.

2 minutes ago, FlyPirate said:

Are the changes really significant for the plot of the Dance? Or is it book purists overreacting? be real

No not really. Particularly since the book has unreliable narrators and there are several versions of what happened for every event. ALSO this episode is the ONLY one in the entire season co-written by GRRM himself so c'mon

1 minute ago, Zerocoke said:

No not really. Particularly since the book has unreliable narrators and there are several versions of what happened for every event. ALSO this episode is the ONLY one in the entire season co-written by GRRM himself so c'mon

Thank you. I will wait til monday... I hope I can avoid spoilers although I read a major one in this thread by accident by displaying a spoiler nnnn

3 minutes ago, FlyPirate said:

Overreacting.

Lucerys and Arrax get killed in the book by Aemond and Vhagar and they get killed in the show by Aemond and Vhagar. In both the book and the show it will have huge consequences and start the war. In the grand scheme of things it is not significant if it is by choice (book) or by accident (show). The Dance of Dragons will start no matter what. An accident makes it more tragic but it won't change the plot.

I ******* hate Twitter for spoiling parts of what happens. I just want to enjoy it Sunday night bish. 

12 minutes ago, M André said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I don't see the big problem on dragons not obeying commands sometimes, George wrote them as a symbolism for nuclear weapons. Is it wise to put that on hands of a child or any men really? I think it's thematic appropiated to see the dragons act on their own, and perhaps them having more influence on the rider than otherwise.

Right. I mean Daenerys also struggled with Drogon for some time. Targaryens can control their dragons but only to a certain point. They are still beasts with their own brain and instincts. No wonder poor little Arrax lost control when Vhagar chased him.

22 minutes ago, FlyPirate said:

Spoiler

Let's say that one character will have to ask, politely, their dragon not burning the Riverlands, according to their character's development in the final episode (1x10) :clownny:

25 minutes ago, Lil Mxnster said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Let's say that one character will have to ask, politely, their dragon not burning the Riverlands, according to their character's development in the final episode (1x10) :clownny:

I think that they will portray this as being something Aemond regrets (even if he won't admit it to others). The unintended death of Lucerys causes Blood & Cheese, his sister (who he has shown an interest in) ending up heavily mentally scarred and traumatized. The guilt of having caused that and starting the conflict will make him spiral into madness and be even more rash than he is now.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.