• Replies 697
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Eóghan

• Drowned8World

• Feanor

• SpankGangsta

That guy on the tumbnail looks an older version of Matt Smith. 

On 8/24/2022 at 1:54 PM, AxelFox said:

A lot of it is blown out of proportion because of the hate train going on. It's like a snowball effect. Once it started, now people are nitpicking and finding any details they can complain about.

I do however think a lot of the backlash is deserved too and that Amazon have taken the wrong approach to this. Some of the statements the show runners have given are absolutely ridiculous. 

You have to realize that we are talking about arguably the greatest work of fantasy literature in history. The work of Tolkien has not only been revered as the absolute best of its kind, but has greatly influenced fantasy as a whole and how we perceive it, from other novels to cinematography and even video games. 

For them to say they are trying to stay as faithful as possible to Tolkien's work but at the same time that they are writing 'the novel Tolkien never wrote' and that 'it felt only natural to adapt the world Tolkien created to reflect current society' was simply outrageous. 

As it stands right now this seems to be a completely different story which is very loosely inspired by the work of Tolkien, but using the same names locations and setting. If that's really the show they wanted to make, they should have changed the names and marketed it differently. It wouldn't have received the backlash it does now.

Because yes, it looks amazing so far (well minus the costumes, those are honestly a disaster for the budget they are on but w/e). But it does not look like an adaptation of tales of Middle Earth. 

They dig their own grave. 

Maybe it's the fact I'm not a fanatic of any kind, but I wouldn't make this a big deal.

Yeah their statements are dumb, yeah they could have sticked to Tolkien's work more...but it could still be a good show, even if it's different. I don't find such a show disrespectful to the author's work at all. :dancehall: like it could be if the characters are very poorly written, but I would wait to watch the whole thing before. This won't take anything from Tolkien's work regardless.

Btw, reviews based on first 2 episodes have been very positive. 

Tolkien fanbase will most likely keep hating this, but the show could catch some new fans.

As someone who grew up watching Peter Jackson's trilogy and reading Tolkien's books, I'm kinda disappointed with everything Amazon has showed us so far. I'm not that upset about the new characters they're going to introduce, but so far I'm really not liking the vibe the OG characters like Galadriel and Elrond are giving in the trailers. Maybe I'll change my mind when I actually watch the show? 

FaWzcOFXwAAV4za?format=jpg&name=large 

Late Night Show

Mumbai Premiere

FajVvBNUsAAUpKs?format=jpg&name=small   FajVvjhVUAAOw1y?format=jpg&name=small 

FajVwRKVEAAu-Hg?format=jpg&name=small  FajVxDKUUAATJPU?format=jpg&name=small 

FajgXmaUcAAsA8H?format=jpg&name=small   FajgYEeUIAAiSmG?format=jpg&name=small 

FajgYkCUcAMqs6z?format=jpg&name=small   FajgZIkVsAAHuuB?format=jpg&name=small

Today Show

London Premiere

FbdD5ENVUAELs9G?format=jpg&name=small FbdD5FIVEAEHm1M?format=jpg&name=small

FbdD7qJVEAAgIn7?format=jpg&name=small FbdD5FEVEAAaLCS?format=jpg&name=small

FbdD7raUYAAq0uJ?format=jpg&name=small FbdD7o2UcAADwrs?format=jpg&name=small 

FbdEMJfUUAATPG7?format=jpg&name=smallFbdD5FIUcAEx4cx?format=jpg&name=small 

Fbe6WZvXEAIcHT6?format=jpg&name=large

Only 2 episodes sent to ALL critics. I'm so disappointed.

I've never seen a TV show send so little episodes as screeners to critics ... It's impossible to judge a show like that.

For example "The Boys" (which is also Amazon) sent 8 episodes to critics, even "Wheel of Time" did 6 episodes.

Getting decent initial reviews, that is a bit reassuring after the trailers put me off it a bit. We will see when they release!

Reviews look about what I expected. This isn't going to be a masterpiece but I have optimism it will be better than the Hobbit trilogy

3 hours ago, Eóghan said:

I've never seen a TV show send so little episodes as screeners to critics ... It's impossible to judge a show like that.

For example "The Boys" (which is also Amazon) sent 8 episodes to critics, even "Wheel of Time" did 6 episodes.

plenty of shows' reviews have been based on 1 episode.

anywho, superior reviews (by a few points) to the dragon show. neither great.

3 hours ago, Harrier said:

Reviews look about what I expected. This isn't going to be a masterpiece but I have optimism it will be better than the Hobbit trilogy

I highly doubt that. The Hobbit was messy in parts, but it was mostly in regards to the pace, some ridiculous action scenes and unnecesarry side-stoylines added to stretch out the story into a trilogy. Other than that, it was pretty loyal not only to the original book's themes but also the LOTR movie trilogy, it felt like the same world and a continuation of the Middle Earth universe. 

This not only looks like a different thing, but the character assasination and alteration of Tolkien's world view and the values the story is based on are already far worse than what they did with the hobbit. There's a really big disconnect here. 

Lee Pace's portrayal of Thranduil will remain more iconic to the LOTR universe than whatever this show has to offer judging by what we've seen and heard so far. 

4 hours ago, AxelFox said:

This not only looks like a different thing, but the character assasination and alteration of Tolkien's world view and the values the story is based on are already far worse than what they did with the hobbit. There's a really big disconnect here. 

This this this. It just seems like a completely different world and story, and the backlash on that aspect is absolutely deserved. 

On 8/31/2022 at 10:25 AM, Eóghan said:

When we find out it’s because the show gets worse after two episodes 

:giraffe:

I really wish the price for this was kept under wraps. Because that is a lot of money to spend on a tv show and if it flops then that's gonna be another pile on.

1 hour ago, Xoxogossipgurl said:

I really wish the price for this was kept under wraps. Because that is a lot of money to spend on a tv show and if it flops then that's gonna be another pile on.

Jeff Bezos deserves this L

please nerds make it BOMB :jonny:

Putting aside everything else, this is undoubtedly the must lush, spectacular looking TV show ever made. I was in shock by how good it looked basically from start to finish :deadbanana2:However I'm not sold on everything else yet. Acting, story, characters.... we'll see how things unfold as the season goes on. Nothing terrible but nothing inspiring yet either.

I do also just hate the styling choices with the male elves, it's not right and seeing the episode in full didn't help. Half of them look old and the haircuts, it's just not it. I'll NEVER accept it 

:skull:

This show is such a visual feast, I just want to watch those episodes again and again. The craft/skills for the props and sets just transpires on every single shot. It's kinda insane. It really feels like goin back to middle-earth, that's what matters most for me but it's like watching the first 40 minutes of "Fellowship of the Ring" and then it just stops. It's weird and frustrating. I want to see the whole story now to properly judge.  It's gonna take time to get used to the TV "episodic" format for Lord of the Rings.

Anyway overall I loved it. A lot of setup and the show is taking the needed time to do just that which I appreciate a lot. And it really made me realize how much I missed this kind of whimsical PG fantasy that the LOTR trilogy/Harry Potter/Narnia used to give us. It takes me back :chick3:

So far for the characters that stood out for me is the trinity Galadriel / Nori / Elrond. But they're all pretty good. Nori melts my heart already :heart2:

Just watched the first episode and I liked it a lot. It's better looking than a lot of big budget Hollywood films. I think the story needs to iron out some kinks so far but I'll keep watching. Onto episode 2

I just saw Episode 1! Overall I liked it. I do think the pacing was a little slow but this is understandable given that it was intended to set up the plot and characters. It reminded me a lot of the "prologue" in FOTR. I wish we saw the Dwarf kingdoms though. :'(

At the moment, I'm most interested in Arondir's storyline. I'm also excited to see how Galadriel's arc unfolds though.

I'm really excited for the series. I'm glad most of the reception has been positive given that there was so much hate for this show before it was even released. :priceless:

Ok episode 2 ate. I actually love it more than the pilot. The pacing was better and the plot actually pulled me in completely.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.