• Replies 697
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Eóghan

• Drowned8World

• Feanor

• SpankGangsta

I have seen the LOTR movies once like ten years ago.

I don't remember anything but I really enjoy this show. 

But sometimes it's just really clear, that they say or do stuff, that says something to people that know the old series while i'm sitting there like: :gaynetcat3:

Last episode for example they introduced that metal and I just know that it's already old but it's like... Yeah, great. You found STUFF. Love that for you.

P.s. the orgs (or whatever) scare THE **** out of my. I have to skip through these scenes or I would die because of a Heart attack

Edited by Schami66

Episode 4 was epic. 

Plus this the most epically beautiful show of all time. 

It makes HoD look cheap. 

12 hours ago, BadMonster said:

Hide contents

Tom Bombadil?

i dont think so because he's basically been around since the dawn of middle earth

Just now, BadMonster said:

Hide contents

Gandalf didn't arrive until the Third Age iirc tho?

Yeah so im pretty sure it wont be him. I'm not sure who it is but i have a feeling he's evil just because of things dying around him when he seemed to use magic. I also just dont think it's Sauron, because i think he didnt really know what a halfling was in LOTR, but im not sure about that either

On 9/17/2022 at 12:24 AM, Zoe_ said:

As a true lover of GRRM, I will say that House of the Dragon is becoming more... idk, trash. It feels super rushed. I agree with the cheap statements. I've never seen a single Lord of the Rings film but I am becoming more invested into the TV show. 

They are both great shows but it does feel like a reworking of Game of Thrones. Its the same quest for power, incest, violence, sex and dragons. 

5 minutes ago, BadMonster said:
  Hide contents

Gandalf was also the last wizard to arrive, so I really don't think it's him. When he was lying on the ground it did look like the eye of Sauron, but how could it be Sauron if Galadriel etc have been hunting him for a long time already. We were thinking Bombadil or maybe Radagast (in the first episode) or Saruman, but we're not really considering Radagast anymore

Yeah, I don't think it's Sauron either, but it's just struggling to guess who it could also be. 

Re wizards - I could see that but didn't the wizards all come at the same time? If they did come sooner than Gandalf, Radagast would make more sense than Saruman just because he seemingly spoke to a moth which I think is not something Saruman is known to do. Plus, he has grey hair, and I believe Sauramans would be white. I dont think they'd **** the timeline of Gandalf to intrdouce him earlier, imagine how mad the nerds would be.

Re Tom - I don't think it's Tom because im pretty sure in the video game they said he came before or during the first age and was there even before the rain or the trees. 

I could be wrong with all this, but this dude seems evil. Firstly as you mentioned, it looked like the Eye of Sauron, secondly, the fire was cold (cold in the cave was considered a sign of evil by Gladriel ) Thirdly all the black magic ****. 

Or maybe it's a new caharacter entirley or maybe im super wrong idk but glad it has us thinking!

Now that was a good episode, best one so far. Durin and Elrond really need more screentime, they're the highlight every episode.

2 minutes ago, BadMonster said:

Yeah, I'd just edited my post before I saw your reply, lmao.

Hide contents

Looked up some info to refresh my memory. None of the wizards arrived until the Third Age, but Gandalf was last to arrive. The rings already existed at that time, so it really cannot be any of the wizards unless they're making major changes. It could be a new character or maybe it is Sauron after-all

love that its up in the air, hopefully we get more clues next episode.  

7 minutes ago, PaloSanto said:

Now that was a good episode, best one so far. Durin and Elrond really need more screentime, they're the highlight every episode.

agreed

1 hour ago, BadMonster said:

Yeah, I'd just edited my post before I saw your reply, lmao.

Hide contents

Looked up some info to refresh my memory. None of the wizards arrived until the Third Age, but Gandalf was last to arrive. The rings already existed at that time, so it really cannot be any of the wizards unless they're making major changes. It could be a new character or maybe it is Sauron after-all

Spoiler

Actually it could be one of the wizards, namely one of the two blue wizards.

Tolkien has (like with almost every other character) revised the origins of the blue wizards multiple times over the decades. So in some versions, all wizards arrive at the same time in the Third Age, but in other versions those two wizards actually arrive in the Second Age, long before Saruman, Gandalf and Radagast.

This is the quote from the Tolkien wiki page on them:

Their task was to circumvent Sauron: to bring help to the few tribes of Men that had rebelled from Melkor-worship, to stir up rebellion ... and after his first fall to search out his hiding (in which they failed) and to cause [?dissension and disarray] among the dark East ... They must have had very great influence on the history of the Second Age and Third Age in weakening and disarraying the forces of East ... who would both in the Second Age and Third Age otherwise have ... outnumbered the West.
—"Last Writings", The Peoples of Middle-earth[4]

So the Stranger character could be a blue wizard and his presence in the Second Age would be lore-accurate (at least accurate to one version of lore)

Edited by Feanor

This show would benefit so much from a binge type format where they release all episodes at once. Week after week things just don't make sense and people are left with questions. 

my favorite characters at the moment are elendil, arondir and durin. what can i say? i'm an elf lover!

also, i'm convinced halbrand is sauron :wanda:

8 hours ago, Starfish said:

This show would benefit so much from a binge type format where they release all episodes at once. Week after week things just don't make sense and people are left with questions. 

i think that's more exciting than binge watching, at least we can talk about it week to week and guess. 

Theres no suspense in bing watching

With each episode, the more I think LOTR would've slayed as a TV show tbh. :jonny: There was just so much PJ could put in the movies, even with the extended editions. I think this show's format works so well since each character arc is becoming fully explored.

On 9/18/2022 at 3:50 PM, PaloSanto said:

The dwarves are easily my favorite part of the show so far. I was disappointed they weren't in the last episode so it was nice to see Durin and Disa a lot in this episode.

I'm enjoying this

that scene of Galadriel 

"fighting" the guards took me out though 

:ahh:

everytime i hear someone talking or doing a review about this show on youtube, i feel like they are forcing themselves to find something negative to say to please everyone and not being attacked by the book purists. I still don't find anything to complain and i think it's very enjoyable series.

4 minutes ago, Drowned8World said:

everytime i hear someone talking or doing a review about this show on youtube, i feel like they are forcing themselves to find something negative to say to please everyone and not being attacked by the book purists. I still don't find anything to complain and i think it's very enjoyable series.

I've unfollowed so many LOTR channels I used to watch because they've been so bitter about the show.

Instead, I started watching Nerd of the Rings' episode breakdowns (he seems very passionate and knowledgeable about the material), and his videos are just BOMBARDED with dislikes and I'm just :deadbanana: LOTR purists are just so displeasable.

7 hours ago, Jotham said:

I've unfollowed so many LOTR channels I used to watch because they've been so bitter about the show.

Instead, I started watching Nerd of the Rings' episode breakdowns (he seems very passionate and knowledgeable about the material), and his videos are just BOMBARDED with dislikes and I'm just :deadbanana: LOTR purists are just so displeasable.

they act like if the books and movies won't be there anymore or being forced to watch it :deadbanana4:

9 hours ago, Jotham said:

Its sad how this is the only LOTR channel approaching this series in a normal way and he's just getting attacked relentlessly for it :deadbanana2:It's not like he's been saying its the best series ever made, he's just giving his honest thoughts, but these guys aren't satisfied unless you say it's GARBAGE.

At least the reddits are getting less hostile. I just hope the hate bandwagon gets bored.

Re-visited the soundtrack today now that we're halfway through the first season (cause I wasn't feeling it initially), and it sounds so much better now that we have scenes we can associate the music with :clap3: 

Bear did that :clap3: 

19 minutes ago, Feanor said:

Re-visited the soundtrack today now that we're halfway through the first season (cause I wasn't feeling it initially), and it sounds so much better now that we have scenes we can associate the music with :clap3: 

Bear did that :clap3: 

Galadriel, Khazad-Dum & Sauron are the best tracks. I know, i'm basic... but i love them :celestial3:

Has there been any info on views after that 25M number amazon gave for first day? Genuinely curious as to how this will fare with the main fanbase hating it. It's like  a case study. 

• ATRL Moderator
51 minutes ago, Gaia said:

Has there been any info on views after that 25M number amazon gave for first day? Genuinely curious as to how this will fare with the main fanbase hating it. It's like  a case study. 

I've been thinking about this too. I'm almost concerned that Amazon has been so quiet since that initial announcement. 

However, I just finished episode four and WHEW I am truly loving this series :wanda:

28 minutes ago, Ampersand13 said:

I've been thinking about this too. I'm almost concerned that Amazon has been so quiet since that initial announcement. 

However, I just finished episode four and WHEW I am truly loving this series :wanda:

Yes considering HOTD renewed for season 2 immediately after it overperformed expectations, it's a bit eerie Amazon hasn't greenlighted a season 2 for this show considering the budget :rip: 

Oh wait I just read they pre-ordered 5 seasons before even getting any sort of public interest. That is BOLD :rip: 

Edited by Gaia

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.