Liza Minelli "forced on stage" in wheelchair at Oscars

Mitsouko

Frail Liza Minnelli, 76, felt 'shaken' and 'sabotaged' after being forced on stage in wheelchair at Oscars instead of seated in director's chair as planned, claims her friend

56799965-0-Li-m-31_1650390866589.jpg

Liza Minnelli's friend Michael Feinstein has come to her defense after viewers worried that she looked frail and out of it when she presented Best Picture at the 2022 Academy Awards with Lady Gaga.

During an appearance Monday on SirusXM's The Jess Cagle Show, Feinstein, 65, claimed that the 76-year-old acting and singing legend had been 'sabotaged' by Oscars organizers at the last minute.

He said the plan had been for Minnelli to appear seated in a director's chair, but that she was forced to use a wheelchair at the last minute, which left her flustered and 'discombobulated.'

'She said, "No, I will not be seen in a wheelchair in front of everybody. I will not do this. I refused to do this."'

Feinstein claimed that Oscars organizers threatened to not let Minnelli present — and possibly to force Gaga to do it alone — unless she gave in to their last-minute demands.

'"Well, it's either that or nothing,"' staff allegedly told the daughter of Judy Garland and Vincente Minnelli.

During the presentation, Liza at times had trouble reading her lines, though Gaga helped her along.

'I got you,' she said sweetly to the stage and screen veteran, to which Minnelli replied, 'I know.' 

Viewers at home applauded Gaga's kindness on social media, particularly as a contrasted to Will Smith's shocking slap and shouted profanities earlier in the evening, calling it a 'highlight of the night.'

According to the New York Post, Gaga had personally requested that Minnelli join her to present Best Picture.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GraceRandolph

• Ethereaaal

• brazil

• Breathe On Moi

Top Posters In This Topic

Gaga’s need to force herself on these celebrities should be a case study 

she's Judy Garland's daughter?:deadbanana2:

learned something today.:toofunny3:

'And then literally, literally five minutes before she went on, when she sat in the director's chair back there, and because every, I guess they were all shaken up because of everything that had happened earlier, the stage manager said, "Well, she has to be in a wheelchair" and Liza pleaded,' he continued.

Feinstein claimed that Oscars organizers threatened to not let Minnelli present — and possibly to force Gaga to do it alone — unless she gave in to their last-minute demands.

'"Well, it's either that or nothing,"' staff allegedly told the daughter of Judy Garland and Vincente Minnelli.

A little help for the people in here who seem to have trouble reading. 

Sounds like this show was horribly produced. The fact that they put her in a wheelchair in case Will Smith came back on stage. :deadbanana2:

Thinking Of You

This is so corny. 

How would you have expected to get on the directors chair? You would’ve had to be wheeled on the stage and then limp yourself over to the directors chair. 

5 minutes ago, ChrispyBelievix said:

she's Judy Garland's daughter?:deadbanana2:

learned something today.:toofunny3:

Stuff like this should result in a permaban! How dare you? smh

7 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

Sounds like this show was horribly produced. The fact that they put her in a wheelchair in case Will Smith came back on stage. :deadbanana2:

Wait is that really why?? :rip: 

They really ****** up big time by not cutting to commercials and removing him from the venue

Just now, Protocol said:

Wait is that really why?? :rip: 

They really ****** up big time by not cutting to commercials and removing him from the venue

They hint at that being the reason in the article. 

15 minutes ago, period sis said:

wow Gaga 

Not even the one who decided it, troll better darling 

Of course the usual people in here dragging Gaga without actually reading the entire article. :toofunny2: 

20 minutes ago, Redstreak said:

17 minutes ago, period sis said:

wow Gaga 

15 minutes ago, James_Dean said:

Gaga's fault. I just know it :oxygen2:

oh wow

1 minute ago, Sugar-Rush said:

Of course the usual people in here dragging Gaga without actually reading the entire article. :toofunny2: 

What did you expect? They’ll blame her for anything. 

17 minutes ago, James_Dean said:

Gaga's fault. I just know it :oxygen2:

18 minutes ago, period sis said:

wow Gaga 

22 minutes ago, Redstreak said:

the illiteracy is showing i fear 

Although the plan seemed to have been worked out, Feinstein claimed that Will Smith's shocking slap of Chris Rock led to disorder backstage and forced Minnelli out of her preferred chair. 

They way ppl rushed to blame Gaga without reading the op :deadbanana2:

Weren’t the monsters posting twitter stuff all night about how Gaga specifically asked for Liza to present with her? Weren’t they bragging about that? Interesting 

poor woman :cries:

30 minutes ago, Redstreak said:

:rip: 

Knew there'd be some lame attempt in here.

It was Liza meeting Gaga backstage a decade ago FYI. They're in touch.

-----

Anyway, no stigma around wheelchairs - Liza is an absolute hero. Awful if this is true though, no one should be (literally) wheeled out in public and made to feel uncomfortable.

MadonnasBoyfriend

It definitely felt that way to me. Felt sorry for Liza. A really uncomfortable moment which felt unethical

Edited by MadonnasBoyfriend