Does not having daughters jeopardize Kelly’s legend status?

nostalgia

When it comes to transitioning from being an icon to becoming a bonafide legend, one must consider the legacy and impact one contributed to the next generation. Some say it is one requirement to have heirs in pop to truly say that you are a legend. Most of the pop girls we know and love have already had their daughters in pop, the youngins who say that they were influenced by them and look up to them. For example, Madonna has some of the most daughters in pop, giving birth to the new generation of poogirls. 

Yet it can be argued that some pop girls who are in their icon status cannot yet go into becoming legend if they have no influence in the next generation? Like Kelly Clarkson. Yes, we know that she is a talented singer and American Sweetener and is loved by the geepee. But no new popgirl has ever stated that they were influenced by her or cited her as an inspiration yet.

This is contrast with her peers Avril who is known as the Mother of Modern Pop Punk and whose daughters include Billie, Olivia, Ashlee, Hailee, Taylor, etc… and even P!nk, who looks at Halsey, Ava Max, Adele, etc as daughters.

but when all is said and done, does Kelly really need to have daughters to be considered a legend in the long run? Or is her longevity enough?

kelly-clarkson.jpg

Edited by nostalgia

In the US she’s a legend already but outside of it she’s just another average singer that had 2 or 3 hits… but Demi seems like a Kelly‘s daughter tbh 

I think being the first American Idol is enough. Basically anyone that appears on that or The Voice is trying to be the next her, Carrie, or Jennifer/Fantasia. 

Edited by Rotunda

• ATRL Moderator

The thread title threw me off and I expected this to be an argument about her children’s genders

4 minutes ago, Rotunda said:

I think being the first American Idol is enough. Basically anyone that appears on that or The Voice is trying to be the next her, Carrie, or Jennifer/Fantasia. 

pretty much this

Demi?

Edited by PieceByPiece_KC

I dont think Kelly is becoming a legend . She is an Icon!

yes. she is a powerhouse vocalist but has 0 artistry or impact i fear. some bops and a lovely talk show thou:clap3:gh 

Isnt Olivia a big fan?

8 minutes ago, sourtwink said:

yes. she is a powerhouse vocalist but has 0 artistry or impact i fear. some bops and a lovely talk show thou:clap3:gh 

Saying she has no impact when her success is literally what lead the singing competition format to work and survive for the last two decades on television, and spawned some of the biggest recording artists in the world :rip:

Kelly is already a legend. She won the first American idol and is still the top selling winner. She also has her talk show which has been doing quite well. 

She has sons tbh

23 minutes ago, Tylerbv said:

Isnt Olivia a big fan?

not really, i don't she ever mentioned kelly

8 minutes ago, Luckitty said:

not really, i don't she ever mentioned kelly

She did. 4:45 Olivia says she grew up listening to Kelly

Edited by Ab1818

Kelly is not a music legend imo, not every popstar who had success in the past has to be a legend.

She will be an icon forever, and her celeb and name will probably be carried as a tv personality mixed with her past music success until she’s older.

I see her more like an icon an huge name like jlo when she’s older but not like a music legend like Beyonce.

This is contrast with her peers Avril who is known as the Mother of Modern Pop Punk and whose daughters include Billie, Olivia, Ashlee, Hailee, Taylor, etc… and even P!nk, who looks at Halsey, Ava Max, Adele, etc as daughters.

what the...

Who needs daughters when you have Grammys, a successful career in TV and continue to stay booked and busy?  Melissa wishes 

3 hours ago, Samsom said:

In the US she’s a legend already but outside of it she’s just another average singer that had 2 or 3 hits… but Demi seems like a Kelly‘s daughter tbh 

AVERAGE?! Hunny, please. She is one of the best vocalists right now. She sings circles around 90% of the Pop gurls out now. 

Not Adele being Pink's daughter I screamed a bit

But Demi is Kelly's child if we're being honest 

1 minute ago, naval23 said:

But Demi is Kelly's child if we're being honest 

Demi is more like Kelly's redheaded stepchild

2 hours ago, sourtwink said:

powerhouse vocalist but has 0 artistry or impact

- zero artistry: I think limited is the right word. My December the album was great, and so is Love So Soft the song. But those are her commercial failure. Ofc now she's reducing herself to becoming a cover artist, and I hated how horrible Stronger and Piece By Piece the album were.

- Impact: nuh-uh. Her success is the pillar for all the singing competitions and competition reality TV in general. As Simon C said in an interview, American Idol was lucky to have her as the first winner, and not the other way round.

Kelly has influenced artists (like Demi says here KC was the first idol that inspired them) but she also has many older “legends” that praise her and tell her they admire her…praise that a lot of the people you named do not get from actual legendary artists. And of course, she is the reason why talent shows became so successful and many who auditioned have said they auditioned because they saw her on American Idol.

Kelly a legend confirmed. :clap3:

Edited by Ab1818

7 minutes ago, Ab1818 said:

Kelly has influenced artists (like Demi says here KC was the first idol that inspired them) but she also has many older “legends” that praise her and tell her they admire her…praise that a lot of the people you named do not get from actual legendary artists. And of course, she is the reason why talent shows became so successful and they have said they auditioned because they saw her on American Idol.

Kelly a legend confirmed. :clap3:

This feels so good to watch. I feel Kelly is so unproblematic, everyone loves her. If she has any nasty things to say, it's always to the industry's corrupts like a certain music mogul or producer. Maybe her only controversy is her duet with John Legend and it was for like a minute.

I just wish Kelly is as global as she was during the SUBG era, but well, at least she did it once. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.