Is it time to merge ROTY/SOTY at the GRAMMYs?

Wonderland

Is it time to merge ROTY/SOTY at the GRAMMYs?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Is it time to merge ROTY/SOTY at the GRAMMYs?

• Yes
    • No
    • I think there's another solution (please specify)

They should rename the award :rip: 

With songwriters now included with ROTY, SOTY serves no purpose and redundant. 

They should include Best Pop Song though so pop girls or artists should have more chances of winning. I never understood why they don’t have it at the first place.

They should also remove BNA and its complicated rules. Just leave it to the AMAs who also awards Best Artist/Artist of the Year.

Edited by dussel_06

4 minutes ago, dussel_06 said:

With songwriters now included with ROTY

Are you sure songwiters are included in ROTY now - when did this change?

From the Grammy site: https://www.recordingacademy.com/awards/faq

What is the difference between Record Of The Year and Song Of The Year?
The Record Of The Year category recognizes the artist’s performance as well as the overall contributions of the producer(s), recording engineer(s), and/or mixer(s), if other than the performing artist.
The Song Of The Year category recognizes the songwriter(s) who wrote and composed the song.
For more detailed information about specific category eligibility requirements, please contact the Awards Help Desk at 877-637-6816.

7 minutes ago, Letemtalk said:

Are you sure songwiters are included in ROTY now - when did this change?

From the Grammy site: https://www.recordingacademy.com/awards/faq

I’m pretty sure I’ve seen an atrl thread of acknowledging songwriters on ROTY before. But if not, then they should include them on ROTY and just get rid of SOTY.

No, they should implement a rule that a song can only be submitted to one of the two categories, thereby forcing artists to submit two different songs. 

That would add a lot more variety to the nominees. It would probably cut down on the amount of people who win both awards, too, because the academy’s unfortunate preference for awarding hits means an artist would probably need multiple smashes in a year in order to win both awards (see: Bruno Mars).

Of course, voters will support whichever song they want to, even if it’s in the wrong category; nobody thought Single Ladies was an example of great songwriting, but that was the category where they could vote for it and they did.

And obviously the academy needs to do something about the extreme and egregious alphabet advantage of their current voting system, as highlighted by letemtalk on the previous page. Honestly, I think they should do shortlists for the general field categories as well; use the first round of voting to whittle down the submissions to like 50 or 100, and then have the full membership vote for the nominees off of that. 

29 minutes ago, dussel_06 said:

I’m pretty sure I’ve seen an atrl thread of acknowledging songwriters on ROTY before. But if not, then they should include them on ROTY and just get rid of SOTY.

From my understanding they can get a certificate, but not an actual Grammy award, just like anyone credited can request a certificate.

There should be some recognition of song writing and just making it a genre award would have all the same problems. Most of the time the pop song winner would be the exact same song as the winner of pop solo performance.

Edit: More info on who can get a certificate here, this might be a couple of years old and maybe not updated for 2022.

https://www.recordingacademy.com/sites/com/files/bluebook_awards_certs_and_grammy_tickets.pdf

I think the biggest obstacle would be cover songs, no?  Covers are eligible for performance awards (including ROTY), but not for songwriting awards -- which makes sense, I guess, since the songwriters might as well only be rewarded once.  So the question would be whether they make special rules for cover songs; or whether, say, Cole Porter keeps getting Grammy nominations in the 2020s because Lady Gaga and Tony Bennett decided to cover one of his songs from 90 years ago.

I can't remember what the rule is for sampling, but I think the composers of the sampled work are only eligible for winner's certificates?  If not, then they'd also be an issue to solve if they tried to merge ROTY and SOTY.

Edited by andresg770

Yes, and maybe Katy will win her first Grammy. She just need that "first to win xxx" recognition  :fan:

5 hours ago, andresg770 said:

I think the biggest obstacle would be cover songs, no? 

Yeah, I think that might be a problem as it either means that some years no songwriters will be awarded, or they give the awards to songwriters that might have already have been nominated/won in other years or even dead people winning.

This award was created at a time where it was common for there to be no overlap in terms of songwriters and producers. Nowadays the way stuff is credited as 'songwriter' is much more all-encompassing, and yes it would make sense for it just to be "Song of the Year" and the writers, performers, producers, mixers and engineers are all credited.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.