JLo's HALFTIME | Netflix Documentary | Available now!

Mokichi

Watching it again with my friend. 

I’m not even latina but their sb makes me proud to be a woman 

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• insomniac

• Yudelkis

• SavagePapi

• DanceAgain

24 minutes ago, insomniac said:

Glad you saw the full thing and enjoyed it bb :heart:

omgg:heart:

THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE CURSED

The Good

• From humble beginnings, and being proud of her Puerto Rican roots. I was pleasantly surprised about how much she's so proud to be a WOC and being of Puerto Rican descent. Of course, it's a fact that she can't hide, but I love that she makes that known profusely. She wears it on her sleeve. Most of this we already know, but I'm glad that at 50+ years old she hasn't forgetten her roots, and understands the hardships, obstacles, and let-downs she was and is going to face because of that. I love the dynamic she still has with her family despite being a huge mega star, and how attentive she is with her own children.

• I love how honest, raw and emotional she is in the doc. If only people look over the celebrity or the entertainer aspect of her life they would see that she is just an ordinary girl who came from nothing, with no connections to the industry, following her dreams and striving to do better and be better. She literally became one of the biggest entertainers of our generation all on her own. A self made icon and legend.

• It's honestly mind blowing to the see the level of discipline, work ethic, committment, resilience this woman has provided over the years. From films, to music, to dance and perfoming to her brand, you can not help but be in awe. If you didn't respect her before you will now. There's nobody in the business that works as hard that she does, and still incredibly dedicated and involved in all of her projects.

• I love seeing how her creativity comes from literally anything. Like the little girls who she randomly spotted in the dance studio, and then she had the lightbulb idea to add them for the political portion of the Super Bowl. It was also cute to see how inspired they were by her.

• I love seeing how passionate and invovled she is about politics and human rights, and seeing her get emotional of that part of the show because to her that was the most important.

• I like that they went over the racism, sexism and negativity she has endured over the years as a WOC that maybe many don't remember or were too young at the time. But I'm also glad that they didn't focus on it for too long or about her personal life. It's just interesting to see how adored and lauded she was during the 90s as an actress, and even praised for successfully moving into the music. I almost forgot how critics praised her as a triple threat, and even labeled her as "crossover royalty". It's interesting how quick things change once you start seeing incredible success as a brand.

The Bad

• I like the documentary, it was polished. But there were several details missing. Like the call from the NFL to do the Super Bowl, how J Balvin & Bad Bunny were involved, no mention of her EMMY nomination, and her music career (it was brief), her productions, etc.

• I feel like they did a great job with editing A-Rod out of the doc. But I can't help but think how much more details and footage we would have received without the editing.

• I was not a fan of the back and forth. I'm used to watching docs in chronological order. But I get it. For an artist who wears various hats, I understand that it's hard to remain consistent as she speaks on different aspects of her career too.

The Cursed

• What I saw was a WOC who is incredibly successful, talented, skilled, working tirelessly, and always pushing herself to be a better artist, but not being respected. Taking less than stellar projects because roles for Latinos were literally slim to none, and because nobody was knocking on her door. She was constantly fighting for validation. To be recognized. To be heard. And then realizing that it was never going to happen. That her longevity, career and her overall being was much bigger than one single award.

• Still, the lack of nominations and lack of wins was heartbreaking to see considering so many experts in the industry also said it would happen for her. Seeing how emotional she got when she stated how for years she would always see other people win awards and now she was being recognized was sad. Heartbreaking. To see this woman continue to stay booked, busy, and remain resilient for over 30 years, yet have not one major award is honestly a crime, but it also shows us how strong, fearless, admireable and inspirational she is as a WOC despite the fact. She could have retired many years ago if she wanted to, but she continues to push forward against all odds because she genuinely loves her craft.

--------------------------------

All and all, I finished this doc feeling proud, inspired, influenced, emotional. A true rags to riches story, and I'm happy that she is still here to tell it. It's only just the beginning for her. Whether she gains respect or recognition from any Academy will remain to be seen, but I was left with a woman who has broken down barriers and created a lane for people like me to succeed and follow their dreams. And for that, I'm forever thankful.

A solid A- for me.

P.S. - Shakira is really about 5% of this doc and they had a few sweet moments together. So the click-baity headlines were really off, and the media trying to pin them together was disgusting imo.

Edited by SavagePapi

1 hour ago, SavagePapi said:

P.S. - Shakira is really about 5% of this doc and they had a few sweet moments together. So the click-baity headlines were really off, and the media trying to pin them together was disgusting imo.

:toofunny3:

I know haters are miserable.

1 hour ago, SavagePapi said:

• What I saw was a WOC who is incredibly successful, talented, skilled, working tirelessly, and always pushing herself to be a better artist, but not being respected. Taking less than stellar projects because roles for Latinos were literally slim to none, and because nobody was knocking on her door. She was constantly fighting for validation. 

That's why she has done The Back Up Plan, WTEWYAE and TBND, bad movies. Because no roles for her at 40+.

She don't say it but she means it when she talk about American Idol in her car.

Love your review. 

:clap3:

I teared up a couple of times while watching this :cries: 

16 hours ago, SavagePapi said:

THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE CURSED

The Good

• From humble beginnings, and being proud of her Puerto Rican roots. I was pleasantly surprised about how much she's so proud to be a WOC and being of Puerto Rican descent. Of course, it's a fact that she can't hide, but I love that she makes that known profusely. She wears it on her sleeve. Most of this we already know, but I'm glad that at 50+ years old she hasn't forgetten her roots, and understands the hardships, obstacles, and let-downs she was and is going to face because of that. I love the dynamic she still has with her family despite being a huge mega star, and how attentive she is with her own children.

• I love how honest, raw and emotional she is in the doc. If only people look over the celebrity or the entertainer aspect of her life they would see that she is just an ordinary girl who came from nothing, with no connections to the industry, following her dreams and striving to do better and be better. She literally became one of the biggest entertainers of our generation all on her own. A self made icon and legend.

• It's honestly mind blowing to the see the level of discipline, work ethic, committment, resilience this woman has provided over the years. From films, to music, to dance and perfoming to her brand, you can not help but be in awe. If you didn't respect her before you will now. There's nobody in the business that works as hard that she does, and still incredibly dedicated and involved in all of her projects.

• I love seeing how her creativity comes from literally anything. Like the little girls who she randomly spotted in the dance studio, and then she had the lightbulb idea to add them for the political portion of the Super Bowl. It was also cute to see how inspired they were by her.

• I love seeing how passionate and invovled she is about politics and human rights, and seeing her get emotional of that part of the show because to her that was the most important.

• I like that they went over the racism, sexism and negativity she has endured over the years as a WOC that maybe many don't remember or were too young at the time. But I'm also glad that they didn't focus on it for too long or about her personal life. It's just interesting to see how adored and lauded she was during the 90s as an actress, and even praised for successfully moving into the music. I almost forgot how critics praised her as a triple threat, and even labeled her as "crossover royalty". It's interesting how quick things change once you start seeing incredible success as a brand.

The Bad

• I like the documentary, it was polished. But there were several details missing. Like the call from the NFL to do the Super Bowl, how J Balvin & Bad Bunny were involved, no mention of her EMMY nomination, and her music career (it was brief), her productions, etc.

• I feel like they did a great job with editing A-Rod out of the doc. But I can't help but think how much more details and footage we would have received without the editing.

• I was not a fan of the back and forth. I'm used to watching docs in chronological order. But I get it. For an artist who wears various hats, I understand that it's hard to remain consistent as she speaks on different aspects of her career too.

The Cursed

• What I saw was a WOC who is incredibly successful, talented, skilled, working tirelessly, and always pushing herself to be a better artist, but not being respected. Taking less than stellar projects because roles for Latinos were literally slim to none, and because nobody was knocking on her door. She was constantly fighting for validation. To be recognized. To be heard. And then realizing that it was never going to happen. That her longevity, career and her overall being was much bigger than one single award.

• Still, the lack of nominations and lack of wins was heartbreaking to see considering so many experts in the industry also said it would happen for her. Seeing how emotional she got when she stated how for years she would always see other people win awards and now she was being recognized was sad. Heartbreaking. To see this woman continue to stay booked, busy, and remain resilient for over 30 years, yet have not one major award is honestly a crime, but it also shows us how strong, fearless, admireable and inspirational she is as a WOC despite the fact. She could have retired many years ago if she wanted to, but she continues to push forward against all odds because she genuinely loves her craft.

--------------------------------

All and all, I finished this doc feeling proud, inspired, influenced, emotional. A true rags to riches story, and I'm happy that she is still here to tell it. It's only just the beginning for her. Whether she gains respect or recognition from any Academy will remain to be seen, but I was left with a woman who has broken down barriers and created a lane for people like me to succeed and follow their dreams. And for that, I'm forever thankful.

A solid A- for me.

Glad you liked it too!  :hug:

Watched this a few days ago. It was cute.

11 minutes ago, Outlaws said:

Watched this a few days ago. It was cute.

11 hours ago, Shy Boy said:

On 6/15/2022 at 9:44 AM, Harrier said:

Really enjoyed this. She is such a tough, strong, admirable woman

On 6/15/2022 at 9:30 AM, dirrtydiana said:

Watching it again with my friend. 

I’m not even latina but their sb makes me proud to be a woman 

Thanks for giving the doc a chance despite the negatively twisted Tweets and headlines!

screen.webp

11 hours ago, Shy Boy said:

:heart2:

45 minutes ago, insomniac said:

Thanks for giving the doc a chance despite the negatively twisted Tweets and headlines!

I always knew it wasn't like anything that was said on social media, especially by stans of another certain artist.

And I also read that she had a meltdown a la Taylor, but that wasn't true at all. She was sad, yes, of course, but I think her parents were they ones having the meltdown, lol.

Anyway, it was cute to know more about JLO.

I enjoyed it. I had no idea there was an actual concept behind her SB show. Kudos to her for fighting tooth and nail to make that happen.

On a side note, I GAGGED when her son basically ignored Shakira during the rehearsals. :rip: The way Shakira was rambling on about having children and missing them and the little boy just walked away and left her alone. :deadbanana2:

18 minutes ago, Outlaws said:

I always knew it wasn't like anything that was said on social media, especially by stans of another certain artist.

Thank you. :heart2:

9 minutes ago, Beautiful Garbage said:

On a side note, I GAGGED when her son basically ignored Shakira during the rehearsals. :rip: The way Shakira was rambling on about having children and missing them and the little boy just walked away and left her alone. :deadbanana2:

Max is so shady, she will do the same in front of Madonna.

Watched it, my favorite part was in the middle when J.Lo opened up about how she was perceived by the GP about not being good at anything and that explains why she got so emotional reading that article saying what an underdog she is and that she is, in fact, talented and skilled actress that can act. Her tabloid era and her sex icon status really painted the image in GPs minds about her being nothing more than a celebrity. When you see such pure and sincere emotions, you really see how it got to her deep inside the bones and she finally felt validated for her Hustlers performance.

I really hope her The Godmother project will be that movie that will get Jenny into her well deserved Oscar nomination one day. 

15 minutes ago, Rhiannon said:

Is it good or nah?

I'm a fan so you won't trust me, but it's good cause even if you don't like her you will learn a lot about the NFL, How you create a superbowl show and how you do an Oscar campaign.

Can't wait to read your review. :heart2:

13 minutes ago, Bloodflowers. said:

Watched it, my favorite part was in the middle when J.Lo opened up about how she was perceived by the GP about not being good at anything and that explains why she got so emotional reading that article saying what an underdog she is and that she is, in fact, talented and skilled actress that can act. Her tabloid era and her sex icon status really painted the image in GPs minds about her being nothing more than a celebrity. When you see such pure and sincere emotions, you really see how it got to her deep inside the bones and she finally felt validated for her Hustlers performance.

I really hope her The Godmother project will be that movie that will get Jenny into her well deserved Oscar nomination one day. 

Hvala vam.

On 6/15/2022 at 9:09 AM, insomniac said:

It was to make a point how racist they were. That shît should would not fly in 2022. She should’ve brought to racist treatment of her in the media up more explicitly and really call them out. The stuff she had to endure from mainstream media was really bad and also very sexist.

That part came out of nowhere, I never heard or seen these clips before (I mean, I was a child during that time and those came from American TV shows). I was shocked how flatout racist they were and on purpose :deadbanana2: :deadbanana2: so glad J.Lo called out media for their racism, she should've dragged them even hard but she let their own actions speak for themselves

6 minutes ago, Yudelkis said:

Hvala vam.

:heart:

15 minutes ago, Bloodflowers. said:

That part came out of nowhere, I never heard or seen these clips before (I mean, I was a child during that time and those came from American TV shows). I was shocked how flatout racist they were and on purpose :deadbanana2: :deadbanana2: so glad J.Lo called out media for their racism, she should've dragged them even hard but she let their own actions speak for themselves

Yeah how they compared her to a cleaning lady one of those late night shows, and another mention that went along the lines of not marrying the maid. Just cause she’s Latina, damn!! 

But yes, you’re right. She probably has some bridges with the media she can’t burn either. Like mentioned in here or another thread before she needs to play the media game as well and have them not turn against her in 2022. 

45 minutes ago, Rhiannon said:

Is it good or nah?

Yes. I think so and critics and audiences seem to agree (check Rotten Tomatoes). 

On 6/16/2022 at 3:23 PM, Rhiannon said:

Is it good or nah?

It's inspiring to say the least!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.