Drag Race vs The World

Hephaestus

Victoria has a point but it's no surprise people can't connect with what she's saying since she always sounds like she's reprimanding and is generally above others on the stuff she cares for.

Ultimately though, I feel like the term "fishy" isn't used or perceived in a bad way and we are probably not gonna see drag kings on the show anytime soon. Notice how production chose to cast "diverse" contestants in the last few seasons (Gottmik as a trans man, Victoria as a cis woman, Maddy as a cis straight man just to name the ones at the top of my mind) but it didn't - unfortunately - result in more artists like them appearing the show. I don't think they want to commit to such a large pool of drag styles and representation just yet, maybe with time, but it'll take a while.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hephaestus

• genetic fail

• feelslikeadream

• KFC

I was fully waiting for Brooklyn to tell Icesis and Rajah that they're the top 2. Gag. 

Icesis was definitely the best overall. Still not a fan of her, but she deserved that Top placement. 

Rajah's first look was a choice. :skull: The wig, the hairline, the party city lingerie :skull: The other two looks were good, great construction, solid overall. 

Victoria's first two looks were really good. But I HATE HATE when queens construct jumpsuits for a design challenge and the things she added to it were ugly af. :rip: 

Silkys looks were all really good overall, though none of them gagged me. But still overall better than Rajah or Victoria. 

Poor Anita. She's definitely not one the same level as the other girls. Crazy she made it to episode three seeing how she bombed every challenge. :toofunny2: 

Silky and Icesis would have been the rightful top 2. 

• ATRL Moderator

I think the judging was fair.  

Icesis final look was nice to look at but it was kinda a mess and poorly designed.  Like that one bimini plunger look.  It winning would be a scream.  Yes, Victoria’s and silky’s final looks have issues but overall they are more impressive creatively.  If anyone was robbed, it was Rajah.  

jesus, the way the fans keep coming at victoria over this fishy thing is making me lose brain cells. 

i have made fun of victoria being uptight and taking herself too seriously, but she is obviously 100% correct 

the fans are literally proving the whole misogyny thing true with their incessant dog piling and illogical takes. :deadbanana2: this is really the hill they want to die on. 

Victoria should have been safe in the ball for the looks, but I appreciate the commitment. She really has some of y’all pressed though lmao 

Glad Anita went home, so far it seems to be a fair elimination, and they all have been in the top no? So drama should start up a bit more now hopefully

• ATRL Moderator

Production showing Rita and Silky making an alliance is very troubling imo. I assume it means Rita will have the opportunity to return the favor later, meaning she's sticking around. I also assume she'll follow through and save Silky, even if she's not as deserving. So if Silky and Icesis/Rajah end up in the bottom with Rita in top, it gives Rita the perfect excuse to send home someone strong to honor the alliance.

Hopefully I'm just overthinking it, but I feel like production tries to only include relevant info in the edit so I'm scared :gaycat7:

41 minutes ago, Yawn said:

jesus, the way the fans keep coming at victoria over this fishy thing is making me lose brain cells. 

i have made fun of victoria being uptight and taking herself too seriously, but she is obviously 100% correct 

the fans are literally proving the whole misogyny thing true with their incessant dog piling and illogical takes. :deadbanana2: this is really the hill they want to die on. 

Right? I thought we all kind of knew that the term ‘fishy’ could be offensive to people with v’s. I’m honestly shocked her comments have been as controversial as they are. Like it’s a ******* word people, if it offends a group of people then why would you want to continue to use it? 

it really just confirms the fact that queer cis -women in our community are still diminished and disrespected. The cis gay men in this thread have proven that point.

Edited by CroNich

1 hour ago, feelslikeadream said:

Production showing Rita and Silky making an alliance is very troubling imo. I assume it means Rita will have the opportunity to return the favor later, meaning she's sticking around. I also assume she'll follow through and save Silky, even if she's not as deserving. So if Silky and Icesis/Rajah end up in the bottom with Rita in top, it gives Rita the perfect excuse to send home someone strong to honor the alliance.

Hopefully I'm just overthinking it, but I feel like production tries to only include relevant info in the edit so I'm scared :gaycat7:

uh not this two insufferable person I just hope they wont make it to the final:rip:

If Silky saves Rita over Icesis or Rajah, it’s over :skull: 

Hopefully Silky is in the bottom with Victoria or Rita instead.

• ATRL Moderator
2 hours ago, CroNich said:

Like it’s a ******* word people, if it offends a group of people then why would you want to continue to use it? 

I'm not really invested in this specific convo, but you have to recognize that your rationale works both ways. You're right: it's just a word. And a longterm interest in queer spaces is to change the value/meaning of language, with basic examples being the reclamation of queer and the f-slur.

Queer (sub)culture regularly takes something offensive and flips it. Take, for example, RuPaul taking the Confederate flag—a symbol of white supremacy/nationalism which offends a lot of people—and turning it into a high fashion garment that she put on a Black drag queen's body.

I understand why Victoria finds the word offensive, but I also understand why people are annoyed that her response is to "ban" the word rather than seeing language as amorphous and open to reclamation and redefinition.

Edited by feelslikeadream

:skull: this thread is diabolical 

adding Vicky to my top girls, love how she don’t gaf about making the sissies upset :heart:

49 minutes ago, Almodusa said:

Best look from the entire challenge btw 

spacer.png

A corset?

Brooklyn's outfits and mug. :chick2:

She looked insanely beautiful this week. :chick2:

The rightful winner of Rupaul's Drag Race Season 11 did that. :chick2:

2 hours ago, feelslikeadream said:

I'm not really invested in this specific convo, but you have to recognize that your rationale works both ways. You're right: it's just a word. And a longterm interest in queer spaces is to change the value/meaning of language, with basic examples being the reclamation of queer and the f-slur.

Queer (sub)culture regularly takes something offensive and flips it. Take, for example, RuPaul taking the Confederate flag—a symbol of white supremacy/nationalism which offends a lot of people—and turning it into a high fashion garment that she put on a Black drag queen's body.

I understand why Victoria finds the word offensive, but I also understand why people are annoyed that her response is to "ban" the word rather than seeing language as amorphous and open to reclamation and redefinition.

This is EXACTLY why we gate keep drag. The fact that Victoria doesnt know this is the MAIN REASON WE DIDNT WANT CIS WOMEN OR STRAIGHT MEN ON THE SHOW. To be clear, not because of their identity, but because of the lack of knowledge.

THEY DO NOT UNDERSTAND DRAG

IT TAKES A LIFETIME OF LIVING IN QUEER SPACES TO TRULY GET IT.

I always think back to Ru telling Maddy that she "wasn't feeling c.u.n.t from her" and Maddy didnt get it.

You cant teach this, u got it or u dont.

Edited by satellites.™

1 hour ago, Almodusa said:

Best look from the entire challenge btw 

spacer.png

Im sure she spent a coin to get it made, I am less impressed because of it.

I thought Silky's couture look was just as good and she made it in the werkroom.

What Icesis MADE was garbo.

Icesis also is falling victim to having only one silhouette, it's making me give her the sideeye, I thought she had more intricate taste in fashion.

FjDIa5hXoAAzwJO?format=jpg&name=large

FiduZfrWIAE_X_i?format=jpg&name=large

FiduZfsX0AAvnBZ?format=jpg&name=large

The passion is missing.

16 hours ago, Morissette said:

I know your arm is hurting from that reach :rip: I don't care about the fish debate much but Victoria has every right to speak on it. You sound exactly like the gay males trying to negate women's experiences with misogyny :shakeno:

I’m pretty sure the user you’re quoting identifies as a trans woman, so.. :skull: 

Not sure what reach you’re referring to either since fish was definitely also adopted by trans woman as a term of empowerment/endearment (which is why it’s typically used in said way on Drag Race). Victoria’s lack of nuance on this subject is a prime example of cis white woman victim complex and white woman feminism. She’s entitled to speak on whatever she likes, but her approach is trans-exclusionary at best. 

The fact people want to call trans women speaking on a term they’ve used to empower themselves misogynistic just shows that people aren’t even willing to actually learn about this subject to help marginalized communities. It’s as simple as them taking a cis gendered white woman’s word for it for some self-gratification while people who can’t even use the bathroom without being assaulted or killed must be swept aside for the feelings of yet another cisgendered person. It’s sad really.

And as I’ve made clear, I do not like Tory but I do sympathize with her struggles as a queer woman trying to break into a gay-dominated scene and the misogyny she very clearly faces. That does not absolve her or her arguments from criticism or nuance however. 

46 minutes ago, satellites.™ said:

I thought Silky's couture look was just as good and she made it in the werkroom.

Icesis also is falling victim to having only one silhouette, it's making me give her the sideeye, I thought she had more intricate taste in fashion.

The passion is missing.

These five looks omg,  Icesis truly the look queen of the season ahhh :jonny5:

• ATRL Moderator
1 hour ago, satellites.™ said:

This is EXACTLY why we gate keep drag. The fact that Victoria doesnt know this is the MAIN REASON WE DIDNT WANT CIS WOMEN OR STRAIGHT MEN ON THE SHOW. To be clear, not because of their identity, but because of the lack of knowledge.

THEY DO NOT UNDERSTAND DRAG

IT TAKES A LIFETIME OF LIVING IN QUEER SPACES TO TRULY GET IT.

I always think back to Ru telling Maddy that she "wasn't feeling c.u.n.t from her" and Maddy didnt get it.

You cant teach this, u got it or u dont.

Victoria is a gay woman, so it's hard to say she hasn't lived a lifetime in queer spaces.

--

I totally understand the nuance behind the word and the need to prevent drag from becoming too sterile.  I just don't think what Victoria said was that unreasonable, as anyone who watched Dragula knows Hollow Eve went on a crazy rant about the word so seeing Victoria have a polite conversation about it shows in the contrast in how to handle those types of conversations.

As a cis gay man, my opinion on this doesn't really matter in the long run.  I won't be using the word but I'm not going to get mad if others do, and I think that if most cis gay men minded their business like this issue would go away pretty quick.

1 hour ago, InventedGays said:

Intricate and detailed lingerie for a lingerie challenge, with intention and clear thought head to toe? 

Have you ever seen lingerie lol?

I hope Vic reaches the finale and makes an EMPOWERING speech on the debilitating trauma of being subjected to word plays such Snatch Game and ''Charisma, Uniqueness, Nerve and Talent''. This is a crucial step in acknowledging the dangers of men, transwomen and NB people appropriating WOMANHOOD by wearing breast plates, pads, makeup and wigs. I will surely weep and count the days when drag will RIGTHFULLY be done only by cisgender women. I am on the right side of history, are you??

2 hours ago, satellites.™ said:

The passion is missing.

How can you post these looks and say that she has only one silhouette :rip:

Sad for Anita! Seems she did get a look in really with the judges. Three weeks of negative critiques was probably very disheartening. The Americans admitting they didn’t watch anyone’s season was :rip:

I thought my girl Ra’jah was going to take it this week again. Loved her constructed outfit although her wig line was really far back in her first look.  I knew Victoria would be in the top for the male drag. It was a smart move. Her wig in the final look was beautiful. 

3 hours ago, Claymore said:

I hope Vic reaches the finale and makes an EMPOWERING speech on the debilitating trauma of being subjected to word plays such Snatch Game and ''Charisma, Uniqueness, Nerve and Talent''. This is a crucial step in acknowledging the dangers of men, transwomen and NB people appropriating WOMANHOOD by wearing breast plates, pads, makeup and wigs. I will surely weep and count the days when drag will RIGTHFULLY be done only by cisgender women. I am on the right side of history, are you??

yikes 

edit: wait nvm i feel you’re being sarcastic :rip:

Edited by Nip Tuck

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.