Mabel - 'About Last Night…'

Supervillain

The album is pop perfection. It’s hooks on hooks on hooks. I think what’s missing is her identity & marketability to take her from “oh that girl sings that bop” to “she’s THAT girl”. 

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Supervillain

• sam.teas

• Delirious

• Lady Claire

On 7/23/2022 at 2:14 AM, liquiddiamonds said:

Unlike other users I don’t think polydor or single choices were to blame for the underperformance. The pivot to this sound just didn’t feel genuine and alienated her audience. The gays were never her core consumers. I think it’s pretty clear she was trying to surf the Future Nostalgia wave. It worked wonders for Dua Lipa, but she did test her audience before starting the era. Mabel was the tropical house-afrobeats pop girl, so I don’t think they really thought through if this pop-house sound would connect to her audience. It just didn’t. Since it didn’t come from a place of artistic growth, the project has zero vision, which is shame because her mama was a visionary in pop and part of the scenes she took as references points for this sound. It’s not bad, but it’s passable at best and by the end of it Mabel remains faceless.

LOL is damage control. She’s back to old hair, DCMU-like girl group video and a song that is closer to her previous stuff. She has jumped this ship if it means she will have commercial success again by bringing her previous sounds back. Mabel will learn the hard way why Neneh gave her back to the industry.

Aside from Polydor being blameless for the single choices which I disagree with, you spoke a word tbh.

41 minutes ago, Supervillain said:

Some insight from her ex-manager

https://www.instagram.com/p/CgZqk0bIcUt/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

The album was almost scrapped :deadbanana2:

She’s so pissed about a career decision for what? especially the third slide basically showing that she only left coz the singles wouldn’t hit

Mabel should have credited her more but it’s a bit hypocritical to moan about that to then make a whole post basically only praising/taking credit herself 

thats hint about her single rollout management from last year, then the fact vinyl process takes months to be finished just not being correlated to album announcement to be pulled according to her claim. sure polydor did interfere this album but whatever, at least she did not bad mouth mabel at the end. 

i dont know, after the result, we shall celebrate and move on. :heart:

tenor.gif

Mabel was excellent in the signing performance, but I can't help but feel she had a somewhat of a mabel sized Mariah moment, as I was stood in the auschwitz section of HMV watching her perform :toofunny3: I also used my moment with her as she signed my now 3rd copy of the album to promo my own songwriting I've done for others :toofunny2: All in all, excellent and will be seeing her on tour if she tours

tenor.gif 

Edited by Better Mistakes

On 7/21/2022 at 2:34 AM, Baby Blue said:

The Body

Guilttrippin'

Bittersweet

Imagination

Heartbreak Season

You Can't Tell Me

Need

Trash

@Supervillain @BlackoutZone do you know if we're getting a deluxe edition with these songs being released?? I know Trash was given as released as a track by Little Mix but what about the others?

On 7/21/2022 at 11:11 AM, Plebhead8 said:

Maybe she’ll release a couple as an acoustic or something like Red Flag

I'm so mad that she didn't officially release Red Flag and tack it on the deluxe and make it a follow up single to Boyfriend. It such a solid chillwave pop record song. 

The Definition performance was quite painful to watch. She needs to sell these songs better.

12 minutes ago, Supervillain said:

Um why isn't she moving her mouth :rip: 

Literally….what is going on? :rip:

its an EXPERIENCE to convey the songs meanings

its art in its most pure form

its not a random music video

shes taking us on the journey of her last night 

this is BEAUTIFUL

52 minutes ago, FireFade said:

what was that :rip: 

36 minutes ago, St. Francis said:

The Definition performance was quite painful to watch. She needs to sell these songs better.

The way she looks exhausted and she isn't even lifting a finger

Was The Body the Fatboy Slim song or was that insider (who got banned for something Ava Max related :rip:) full of it?

I have limited empathy for grotesquely spoiled nepotism babies and while she does have some good songs from her earlier stuff, this album is generic, unexciting fluff with barely a hook that registers and really shows the UK music industry badly needs to abandon the rampant mommy and daddy's child nepotism and seek out fresh writers and producers that can bring something better to the table.

Not surprised the album was almost scrapped. Good for her for getting it out there, as mediocre as it is, but it's a wrap for her career as a mainstream pop star in the UK. No one survives a whole era without a hit when the music is this basic.

I love how LOL isn't even in that video, she really doesn't consider it part of the album huh

She and the sets look cute and all, but there's too little going on to actually keep it interesting throughout the whole thing. Maybe it would've been cuter if she lipped along and released the videos for the songs seperately one by one in order, telling a story Electra Heart style

Edited by pavi

the way she didnt open her mouth for 15 mins, then sang 3 songs and then came back to sitting there for 2 songs with mouthing the lyrics from time to time is sending me :ahh: a complete mess 

4 hours ago, FireFade said:

mabel i love you but this was:

1. a train wreck 

2. a go girl serve us absolutely nothing 

3. lifeless 

4. a cry for help 

5. dead on arrival 

6. a study in what not to do 

7. the final nail in the era's coffin 

definition and the album in general deserved much better, especially as she seemed to genuinely enjoy performing the songs live at her signing. I know it's tiring to hear but she really does remind me of early Dua here - dead in the eyes and lifeless in these kind of things but then an exact juxtaposition when actually performing live in a small concert setting.

overthinking live :sleep: those other two also distracted by her presence. umm ok

this album is so good

why are people sleeping on it