Mabel - 'About Last Night…'

Supervillain

25 minutes ago, Polgg48 said:

bbc uk chart radio show starts soon around 2 hrs, send all thoughts and prayers to our girl.

the result has been counted. :foxaylove3:

OT: literally why clean version on overthinking slow reverb one, those pausing on 24k always send me :fishing:

It has no chance of #1 unless Neneh just bought 4K copies but it’s still a good result regardless

hoping she can scam a Brit instead as best dance act if they keep the same structure as last year  :WAP:

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Supervillain

• sam.teas

• Delirious

• Lady Claire

#2 is very good imo considering none of her single attempts have managed to stick with the general public.. its not a #1 obviously but this just proves she has a little cute loyal fanbase behind her. I was expecting a debut outside the top 5 :jonny5:

It's kinda smoke & mirrors but hopefully it makes them not drop her. :jonny3:

15 minutes ago, halcyonday said:

It's kinda smoke & mirrors but hopefully it makes them not drop her. :jonny3:

The narrative of her getting dropped is so tired and only exists coz she unfollowed them on Instagram a year ago :deadbanana: 

look at their roster of artists why would she be the one getting dropped lmao her dad even said in an interview a few weeks ago how great his experience working with polydor as her manager was..

Edited by Plebhead8

Sad this missed out on #1, this always happens to women in the UK. The UK chart company "predicts" them as being #1 & they lose every time. Scared for her Billboard 200 chart position (if there is one).

On the bright side, she does have a solid UK fan base that are buying her albums (although they're not even selling out her intimate shows). So if she goes independent she'll have the incentive to make full albums (although she's got to find the funding for all the physical bundles she's been doing).

disappointed this didn't go number 1 as it's a great pop album and she deserved it, but pleased none the less considering the charting, or lack of for all the singles leading up to the album. She deserved at least Anne-Marie Therapy sized success with this all. I do however hope this doesn't discourage her in continuing to explore this dancier/ poppier side to her music

Well, cute debut!

Now it's over for the original tracklisting and we'll have to wait for her to release some droplets and turn ALN into a playlist album just like she did with HE and ITR. I don't mind tbh

FE7CFDC3-6F91-4733-80D2-A5A2C35EC6BE.thu

This is really not good but I always root for her. There's an endearing amateurishness to everything about her :gaycat6:

2 hours ago, Better Mistakes said:

disappointed this didn't go number 1 as it's a great pop album and she deserved it, but pleased none the less considering the charting, or lack of for all the singles leading up to the album. She deserved at least Anne-Marie Therapy sized success with this all. I do however hope this doesn't discourage her in continuing to explore this dancier/ poppier side to her music

Well Ane Marie released 2 singles (3?songs? In 2020 then they flopped so she went back and recorded new songs with UK features. She restarted the era and it worked for her. She also did heavy promo for the songs to become hits 

Mabel’s album campaign was silent for so long after LTK underperformed. Then I Wish was a forced hit and it also underperformed. She got some new features but they were old songs no new songs like Anne Marie and they were so so features that didn’t get much hype like Anne songs 

Also what are the numbers for the top 2 albums? Was she close to getting it?

48 minutes ago, Gabe² said:

Also what are the numbers for the top 2 albums? Was she close to getting it?

Harry 11.7

Mabel 9.9

Ed 8.6 

I think high expectations was 9.6k for reference

2 hours ago, Plebhead8 said:

Harry 11.7

Mabel 9.9

Ed 8.6 

I think high expectations was 9.6k for reference

Anyone has the numbers for Therapy? Crash? Etc?

7 minutes ago, Gabe² said:

Anyone has the numbers for Therapy? Crash? Etc?

Some top 2 debuts I can think of from 2021/2022 of albums that didn't really smash.

Charli XCX's Crash (#1): 16,117

Sigrid's How To Let Go (#2): 11,623

Anne-Marie's Therapy (#2): 18,260

Ava Max's Heaven & Hell (#2): 8,306

Avril Lavigne's Love Sux (#2): 13,622

Demi Lovato's Dancing With the Devil...The Art of Starting Over (#2): 20,183

Let Love Go or LOL could've been RAYE features :(

Unlike other users I don’t think polydor or single choices were to blame for the underperformance. The pivot to this sound just didn’t feel genuine and alienated her audience. The gays were never her core consumers. I think it’s pretty clear she was trying to surf the Future Nostalgia wave. It worked wonders for Dua Lipa, but she did test her audience before starting the era. Mabel was the tropical house-afrobeats pop girl, so I don’t think they really thought through if this pop-house sound would connect to her audience. It just didn’t. Since it didn’t come from a place of artistic growth, the project has zero vision, which is shame because her mama was a visionary in pop and part of the scenes she took as references points for this sound. It’s not bad, but it’s passable at best and by the end of it Mabel remains faceless.

LOL is damage control. She’s back to old hair, DCMU-like girl group video and a song that is closer to her previous stuff. She has jumped this ship if it means she will have commercial success again by bringing her previous sounds back. Mabel will learn the hard way why Neneh gave her back to the industry.

1 hour ago, liquiddiamonds said:

Unlike other users I don’t think polydor or single choices were to blame for the underperformance. The pivot to this sound just didn’t feel genuine and alienated her audience. The gays were never her core consumers. I think it’s pretty clear she was trying to surf the Future Nostalgia wave. It worked wonders for Dua Lipa, but she did test her audience before starting the era. Mabel was the tropical house-afrobeats pop girl, so I don’t think they really thought through if this pop-house sound would connect to her audience. It just didn’t. Since it didn’t come from a place of artistic growth, the project has zero vision, which is shame because her mama was a visionary in pop and part of the scenes she took as references points for this sound. It’s not bad, but it’s passable at best and by the end of it Mabel remains faceless.

LOL is damage control. She’s back to old hair, DCMU-like girl group video and a song that is closer to her previous stuff. She has jumped this ship if it means she will have commercial success again by bringing her previous sounds back. Mabel will learn the hard way why Neneh gave her back to the industry.

Whole ass essay just to project the same random uneducated narratives again

she wanted to make this kind of music, so she did.. that’s it. It’s been said in about 34 different interviews now 

Spoiler

Have people taken advantage of her? “Not intentionally. They are not bad people, but people that just expect me to make money for them; to make hits, at any cost. There have been some rash, knee-jerk decisions made just to get a chart position.”
But, she says, those days are over. “With my new album, the most important thing is that people get to know the real me.”

7 hours ago, skankle said:

This is really not good but I always root for her. There's an endearing amateurishness to everything about her :gaycat6:

Same :laugh:

4 hours ago, Plebhead8 said:

Whole ass essay just to project the same random uneducated narratives again

she wanted to make this kind of music, so she did.. that’s it. It’s been said in about 34 different interviews now 

Reveal hidden contents

Have people taken advantage of her? “Not intentionally. They are not bad people, but people that just expect me to make money for them; to make hits, at any cost. There have been some rash, knee-jerk decisions made just to get a chart position.”
But, she says, those days are over. “With my new album, the most important thing is that people get to know the real me.”

Are you new to pop music? They always say this. It’s reinvention 101: the real me bullshit. Funny how it’s always the popular flavor of the day and with zero personality

Edited by liquiddiamonds

Well i guess we dont have to feel bad since it wasnt even close

Meh, the album is weak overall :dancehall3: I can see why they chose LOL for single, it screams hit (in 2019

I love Definition. Animal is cute too

Definition should’ve been the single with album release. 

It's a generic weak album, but I Love Your Girl is that bop.

This album actually slaps if you just take it for what it is tbh lol