Imagine Dragons - ‘Mercury’

Cutthroat

on Symphony and it already demolished anything previously released from this era :wanda:

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cutthroat

• Mooncrown

• computer.boy

• TeamThiem

Much better than act 1! :clap3:

While Act 1 was solid, Act 2 is their best album to date. The emotional and sonic depth on this record is incredible and I truly hope they start performing album cuts soon; they have yet to do “Sharks” live. 

My favorites after a couple listens are “Symphony”, “Blur”, “Higher Ground”, “Crushed” (this one is extremely personal to me as it reminds me a lot of one of my friends :heart:), “Waves”, “I’m Happy” (the chorus of this song describes my life exactly right now, as well as “Ferris Wheel”’s chorus), and “I Wish”.

I actually cried listening to this record a couple times because some of it hit that hard. Definitely seeing them live the next time they’re here!

6 hours ago, skwonderfactory said:

While Act 1 was solid, Act 2 is their best album to date. The emotional and sonic depth on this record is incredible and I truly hope they start performing album cuts soon; they have yet to do “Sharks” live. 

My favorites after a couple listens are “Symphony”, “Blur”, “Higher Ground”, “Crushed” (this one is extremely personal to me as it reminds me a lot of one of my friends :heart:), “Waves”, “I’m Happy” (the chorus of this song describes my life exactly right now, as well as “Ferris Wheel”’s chorus), and “I Wish”.

I actually cried listening to this record a couple times because some of it hit that hard. Definitely seeing them live the next time they’re here!

Your review has me very excited to listen tonight! I love a record with an emotional punch.  Waiting for some quiet time to put my headphones on and just zone in on this with no interruptions.

My CD came a day early on Thursday, which was great. I’ve only managed to play the whole thing in full once as I started feeling sick on Thursday and then on Friday I felt worse and found out I had COVID. But here are my thoughts from Thursday: 

- Mercury is officially my favourite album by them and Act 2 was everything I wanted and more 

- I love that they’ve tried some new styles as some of the songs / the way Dan sings them sound like nothing they’ve put out prior 

- Waves is my favourite song on the album and one of the best songs they’ve ever done. I especially love the lyric “time doesn’t hear if you ask it to wait” - I love how the song is upbeat and happy sounding but the lyrics are really deep 

- Waves and They Don’t Know You Like I Do made me cry. I especially loved the ending to TDKYLID and it’s officially their best album closer 

I already loved Act - 1 but Act - 2 is even better. I personally didn’t find any of the tracks to be filler and I genuinely enjoyed them all. I’d say my current top 5 would be Blur, Crushed, Waves, Tied & Younger. 

9-AE62616-DD35-4347-8-E29-8-C96340-E889-

14 hours ago, skwonderfactory said:

Finally somebody else appreciating Waves. I don’t understand how some people don’t like this song when it’s genuinely one of the best they’ve ever done. :gaycat6:

Act 2 feels like a classic ID album. It's as emotional, but more laid-back than Act 1. I honestly can say that only Take It Easy seems out of place for now, I really like all the other songs. I need much more time to even digest both Acts properly.

What do y'all think about Sirens? That one definetly caught my attention, the sound reminds me of Night Visions. I absolutely love the part after Dan's hook!

1 hour ago, Cutthroat said:

Finally somebody else appreciating Waves. I don’t understand how some people don’t like this song when it’s genuinely one of the best they’ve ever done. :gaycat6:

If Mercury had a title track, it would be Waves. It's like the epiphany after going through all the emotions of the album. Act 1 has a lot of songs about fighting sadness and depression, Act 2 covers a lot of ground on examining those feelings to find a way out and Waves finally concludes that there's no way out, you just have to face life and your emotions. It seems self-explaining, but it's so hard to get to that place of acceptance once you entered the phase of trying to escape feelings of sadness. That's why I feel like Waves is probably the most important song on Act 2 and one of the defining songs in both Acts.

:heart:I love this album!!!  Only 1 listen so far but already hooked and I think as a whole it might be their best album for me now.  There is a range of emotions and musical styles and it has has such depth- they have really dug deep for this one.  My standouts so far from Act 2 besides Bones and Sharks are : Symphony, Higher Ground, Crushed, Waves(This may be my favorite right now and I agree with it being considered a centerpiece of the album), Ferris Wheel, Sirens, Tied, I Wish, and They Don't Know You Like I Do (What a closer!) 

1 hour ago, Mooncrown said:

:heart:I love this album!!!  Only 1 listen so far but already hooked and I think as a whole it might be their best album for me now.  There is a range of emotions and musical styles and it has has such depth- they have really dug deep for this one.  My standouts so far from Act 2 besides Bones and Sharks are : Symphony, Higher Ground, Crushed, Waves(This may be my favorite right now and I agree with it being considered a centerpiece of the album), Ferris Wheel, Sirens, Tied, I Wish, and They Don't Know You Like I Do (What a closer!) 

Oh and Younger!  How did I leave out that banger :rockon:

Mercury > Smoke + Mirrors > Night Visions > Evolve > Origins 

Although I love every album, that’s how I’d rank them. 

15 minutes ago, Mooncrown said:

Oh and Younger!  How did I leave out that banger :rockon:

I’m currently loving Peace of Mind. The chorus is so infectious! I can tell this will be one of those albums for me where I become obsessed with different songs at different times. 

5 hours ago, The Next Day said:

Act 2 feels like a classic ID album. It's as emotional, but more laid-back than Act 1. I honestly can say that only Take It Easy seems out of place for now, I really like all the other songs. I need much more time to even digest both Acts properly.

What do y'all think about Sirens? That one definetly caught my attention, the sound reminds me of Night Visions. I absolutely love the part after Dan's hook!

If Mercury had a title track, it would be Waves. It's like the epiphany after going through all the emotions of the album. Act 1 has a lot of songs about fighting sadness and depression, Act 2 covers a lot of ground on examining those feelings to find a way out and Waves finally concludes that there's no way out, you just have to face life and your emotions. It seems self-explaining, but it's so hard to get to that place of acceptance once you entered the phase of trying to escape feelings of sadness. That's why I feel like Waves is probably the most important song on Act 2 and one of the defining songs in both Acts.

I love Sirens a lot. Higher Ground gave me vintage ID vibes. That song wouldn’t sound out of place on Night Visions. The way Dan sings the chorus and pronounces words like “FIYAAAAH” just make me feel so nostalgic.

I completely agree with everything you said about Waves. :heart:

Great album imo. Standouts for me for sure are Bones, Sharks, Blur, Younger, I Wish and They Don't Know You Like I Do.

Btw, will Act 1 units count for BB200?

RockStarShit101

act 2 is so good!

I don't like myself

peace of mind

higher ground 

sharks

bones

>>>>

RockStarShit101
18 hours ago, Cutthroat said:

Mercury > Smoke + Mirrors > Night Visions > Evolve > Origins 

Although I love every album, that’s how I’d rank them. 

I am new to imagine dragons

I got into them when Evolve came out and I liked it

I listened to night vision once in the early 2010s and I haven't touched smoke + mirrors

but I'm gonna listen/re-listen to their albums

2 hours ago, RockStarShit101 said:

I am new to imagine dragons

I got into them when Evolve came out and I liked it

I listened to night vision once in the early 2010s and I haven't touched smoke + mirrors

but I'm gonna listen/re-listen to their albums

You might have different rankings, but Smoke + Mirrors has always been my baby. I honestly didn’t think they’d ever top that album in my eyes, so I’m surprised that Mercury has now became my favourite. I just resonate with a lot of the songs / lyrics on the album and it’s very therapeutic for me. :heart2:

Edited by Cutthroat

idk, I am not too fond about act II either. I kinda feel I am over them, and that's okay. I will cherish the first two era's and also Evolve for the most part and check in now and then, but every love I had when 'stanning' kinda is gone for me. I hardly played Act I and I also can't get into Act II. We'll see maybe somewhere in the future they suck me in again.

How come nobody else loves I Don’t Like Myself as much as I do?  My fave for the moment.

I loved reading your review @Cutthroat.  Was waiting for it!  Hope you get better soon regarding the covid.

Waves sounds like a song that would play during a series finale of a TV series.  Can’t get into it for some reason.

53 minutes ago, TeamThiem said:

How come nobody else loves I Don’t Like Myself as much as I do?  My fave for the moment.

I loved reading your review @Cutthroat.  Was waiting for it!  Hope you get better soon regarding the covid.

Waves sounds like a song that would play during a series finale of a TV series.  Can’t get into it for some reason.

I suppose it’s each to their own, but I just love everything about the song from the melody to the lyrics to the vocals. I also love the contrast between the upbeat and cheery music and the lyrics. If you were to hear it in a store playing in the BG you’d probably assume it was some sort of love song, until you actually paid attention to what’s being sang. 

I love IDLM too! But it just wouldn’t be in my top 5, but I think the album is extremely strong. The only song I’d say feels more like a grower to me personally is Continual, but I’m sure I’ll appreciate it with more time. I just haven’t really wanted to sit and listen to the album much at the moment but that’s just because I feel like total crap right now. 

I hope they either 1) Start performing some Act 2 songs live (as they’re still touring) or 2) They announce a second leg for next year where they perform more of the Act 2 material 

47 minutes ago, Cutthroat said:

I suppose it’s each to their own, but I just love everything about the song from the melody to the lyrics to the vocals. I also love the contrast between the upbeat and cheery music and the lyrics. If you were to hear it in a store playing in the BG you’d probably assume it was some sort of love song, until you actually paid attention to what’s being sang. 

I love IDLM too! But it just wouldn’t be in my top 5, but I think the album is extremely strong. The only song I’d say feels more like a grower to me personally is Continual, but I’m sure I’ll appreciate it with more time. I just haven’t really wanted to sit and listen to the album much at the moment but that’s just because I feel like total crap right now. 

I hope they either 1) Start performing some Act 2 songs live (as they’re still touring) or 2) They announce a second leg for next year where they perform more of the Act 2 material 

Dan confirmed they will be incorporating Act 2 into the current tour. He’s very excited to play the songs live. 

9 minutes ago, Baby_boy09 said:

Dan confirmed they will be incorporating Act 2 into the current tour. He’s very excited to play the songs live. 

I’m excited to see what songs they perform!  :WAP:

finally listening to this huge album, why releasing 2 acts at the same time, why performing only one act if you released two

internet says act 1 was released in 2021? 

theres so many questions,

i never listened to them before, but sharks got me in.

I listen to ACT 1 for now and I only liked Wrecked.

but I see they have Crushed as well on ACT 2 

my main problem is with them juvenile lyrics, but singing them in the style like hes saying something profound.

I see lyrics are written by their bassist Ben thats almost 40 so idg.

Maybe they just not for me, but Ill still finish listening to it in hopes to find another Sharks.

reason I like Sharks is melody and vocal delivery (lyrics are still juvenile)

From HDD, it seems it may not enter top 10, which is shocking since Enemy is more of a hit right now than anything when Act 1 was released. This week #10 made 43k units, but there 4 new entries not sure how they will hold up.

NEW RELEASE: 
MERCURY RISING

hitsdd_photo_gal__photo_828154563.jpg

After one day of sales and streams, Imagine Dragons Mercury – Acts 1 & 2(KIDinaKORNER/Interscope) was tracking toward a full-week projection of 23-28k. Act 2 of the project was released Friday and combined with the previously released Act 1, which opened with 31k in September. Rimas Bad Bunny will remain at #1.

So my review, sadly I think it's my least fave album from them. Not that it's bad it's just their music/lyrics used to be more universal, this is was way too depressing, like for example I really liked Waves melody but those lyrics, oh no.

Act 1 is not necessarily better but I think it had more highlights (Wrecked alone, a prime example of depressing lyrics but making it work). Also, this didn't need to be 18 tracks long. Too much filler (I guess the same could be said about Smoke + Mirrors, but I have too much attachment to that album). I am glad they made this album, as I feel like it's something they had to get out of their chest, but I think it's clear it's not something the GP cares for, see how the only hit they got of the era was the only track not part of the album (originally). 

Bones and Sharks are great and hopefully they keep the era afloat for a while, but I don't see anything else clicking. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.