Ethel Cain - 'Preacher's Daughter'

VENUSWAVE

The more I listen the more songs get stuck in my head.

A House in Nebraska is in my head, and it’s living there rent free. Family Tree’s been on repeat because of its last 2 minutes. Kills me every time. Hard Times is hard to listen to because of the lyrics, but it feels so good…

Sun Bleached Flies feels like a worship song - it feels comforting to listen to. Thoroughfare is a road trip across the country, Ptolemaea/August Underground/Televangelism is an entire suite to itself, Strangers is cathartic and therapeutic… Gibson Girl, because every album needs a dark strip club anthem. American Teenager is the pop bop of the album.

The only song that hasn’t left much of an impact on me is Western Nights. I don’t know why - it just won’t stick like the others. It’s less catchy, I guess, but I don’t skip it. Maybe it’ll sink in more with time. I can never remember it. :lmao:

But yes. Amazing album. 

Edited by Ice Cream Skies

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• State of Grace.

• thatsmydemi

• mellenthin

• brooklyndaddy

This is definitely one of those albums that seeps under the skin and takes up residence in your brain.  The more I listen the more I love it, and i LOVED it on first listen.  AHIN will probably be my song of the year.

American Teenager is the best :WAP:

Just starred this album and the intro alone drew me in. Will give full thoughts when I'm done. 

Western Nights is definitely my fave song. It's making me tear up a bit right now. 

The lyrics... just wow. Such a beautiful love song. :cries: 

American Teenager :jonny5:

I'm only like 4 songs in but I can already tell that this is one of those rare albums you put on and time just completely disappears.

I mean, most of these tracks are 5,6,7 minutes long but they definitely don't feel that way.

I see why everyone was excited about this.

Wish I liked this more, I love long atmospheric songs, but she really failed to keep me focused throughout most of them. Loved the guitars tho, will definitely revisit to unravel these songs more. Gibson Girl is incredible though :jonny:

50 minutes ago, BlackoutZone said:

Wish I liked this more, I love long atmospheric songs, but she really failed to keep me focused throughout most of them. Loved the guitars tho, will definitely revisit to unravel these songs more. Gibson Girl is incredible though :jonny:

Reading the lyrics/ song explanations on Genius while listening to the album, and keeping the album narrative at the back of my mind, really helped increase my appreciation of the album :biggrin:

Edited by AnonnonA

24 minutes ago, Sesame said:

she'll thank me later 

Rosalia sweety, im so sorry, but this right here is the AOTY i fear :falcon:

Album of the year :jonny2:

I’d hold the gun if you asked me to
But if you love me like you say you do
Would you ask me to

Ver las imágenes de origen

Trouble’s always gonna find you baby
But so will i
Crying only because i’m happy
Hold me across every state line
I’m never gonna leave you baby
Even if you lose what’s left of your mind
Cause you know i’ll be right there beside you
Riding through all these western nights

Please don’t love how i need you
And know that one day, you and i could be ok

Thoroughfare has no business being this ******* good

UgKP8Bx.gif

And you said "Hey, do you wanna see the west with me?
Cause love's out there and I can’t leave it be"
And I said "Honey, love's never meant much to me
But I'll come with you if you're sure it's what you need"

Cause in your pickup truck with all of your dumb luck is the only place I think I’d ever wanna be

UgKP8Bx.gif

Since B*tchfork didn't give BNM to Kendrick, I feel like they're holding out to give it to this. If not, then something around an 8.0.

They BETTER give it at least an 8. They gave Inbred a 7.6 and this one is even better. (Inbred the song is still kinda my second fave song from her)

American Teenager is absolutely incredible WOW I can't finish the album because I keep replaying it :jonny: 

I'm loving it all though but especially Thoroughfare and Gibson Girl

2 minutes ago, Finny said:

American Teenager is absolutely incredible WOW I can't finish the album because I keep replaying it :jonny: 

I'm loving it all though but especially Thoroughfare and Gibson Girl

The ending two tracks are highlights though :jonny6:

American Teenager is really THAT bop :heart2: 

She said lemme give the girls something fun, something for the summertime in the middle of this heart wrenching experience  :WAP: 

Holy ****, just started listening to this because I've seen so many of you talking about it.

WHAT IS THIS INTRO :jonny5: is this heaven

*Ari Aster

Hereditary is shaking. I really hope the movie happens.

Only 5 songs in and I'm already blown away by the atmosphere and storytelling