Ethel Cain - 'Preacher's Daughter'

VENUSWAVE

**** I love this. It's giving white trash Lana Del Rey teas.

Soooo much good music this year.

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• State of Grace.

• thatsmydemi

• mellenthin

• brooklyndaddy

8 minutes ago, Death said:

Oh sis your wait will be worth it, trust you are in for an EXPERIENCE :jonny5:

im already FLOORED after the Intro - American Teenager - A House In Nebraska PUNCH **** :jonny5:

2 hours ago, conquxror said:

omg?? why is nobody talking about this? aoty i fear!!!

i think this will steal florence’s bnm 

love this positivity but we all know kendrick is getting it

OT: Thoroughfare sotd!

3 minutes ago, Hikari said:

love this positivity but we all know kendrick is getting it

OT: Thoroughfare sotd!

This just reminded me that this weekend I have Ethel, Florence AND Kendrick new music. Hello heaven :deadbanana2:

A House in Nebraska :jonny5: the outro :jonny2: 

Televangelism is so pretty

hurt-sad.gif

Sun Bleached Flies right after

hurt-sad.gif

her vocals on Family Tree are electrifying :wanda:

Thoroughfare is like a classic Springsteen ballad but more psychedelic. truly one for the ages :clap3:

I really don't know how I feel. This album is just too much holy ****. AOTY!!!! :cries: 

Cant wait to go through each track on genius.

43 minutes ago, SitarHero said:

Can we talk about THOROUGHFARE! :jonny5:

19 minutes ago, JoeAg said:

Thoroughfare is like a classic Springsteen ballad but more psychedelic. truly one for the ages :clap3:

the storytelling is so beautiful and the chorus & outro are so wonderful, 10 minutes of excellence!

hurt-sad.gif

by the way, I haven't seen anyone post about it here but she did an interview with TNYT and she kinda draggedT Puke :fan:

IN EARLY 2020, through the emo-rapper Lil Aaron, an online collaborator, Cain was introduced to the staff of Prescription Songs, the independent music publisher and record label owned by the pop super-producer Dr. Luke. On her first trip to Los Angeles, Cain showed up at the company’s shiny building “looking like an absolute hillbilly,” she said. But her nearly manic creative energy and works in progress wowed them, and they offered her a deal.

“Inbred,” an EP that was Cain’s first official release last year, showed pop potential on arch, deadpanned tracks like “Crush” and “Michelle Pfeiffer.” But her enduring vision of “Preacher’s Daughter” was immovable, and Prescription promised her complete creative freedom even as it has tried to gently guide her career.

“Every person that I put her in the room with, she loved meeting them, but none of it felt authentic and true to her,” said Marlee Kula, Cain’s A&R executive at the company, who was responsible for setting up songwriting and studio sessions. “None of those ideas ended up making the record.”

That included Cain’s only meeting with Dr. Luke, a polarizing figure in the industry in light of his ongoing court battle with the singer Kesha over accusations of sexual abuse. (Cain said she didn’t know he owned the company until after she signed. “I’m not Googling CEOs when I’m eating a candy bar,” she said. “I was unemployed and it was a pandemic. I didn’t have the option to turn down money.”)

The two are unlikely to end up more intertwined. “He sent some music — God, I hope he doesn’t blacklist me for saying this — but he showed me some demos and was trying to do some stuff in his studio,” Cain said. “I was like, yeah, boss man, sure!”

“I went in the booth and I did some stuff,” she recalled. “He was like, simplify it, simplify it, stop doing so much embellishment! But I was doing the stuff that makes my music my music. He was like, make it catchier! And I was like, OK, this sucks. This is not going to work.”

Cain paused, considering her words. “Creatively, I have no need for him,” she said. “But I have no need for anyone.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/11/arts/music/ethel-cain-preachers-daughter.html

Its a good read overall :heart:

Sun Bleached Flies is gorgeous :chick3: the string arrangements!!

Edited by JoeAg

35 minutes ago, JoeAg said:

I agree that there's some Springsteen in here. However I really can't help but notice the definite Lana influence throughout the whole record too. It's just so reminiscent of Ultraviolence.:jonny:

I don't think I've clicked with a new artist this hard since Lana a decade ago.

14 hours ago, Diarrhoea said:

My first thoughts when I heard Televangelism and A House In Nebraska were that she was out Nicole Dollanganger-ing Nicole Dollanganger :fan: speaking of which I think AHIN is getting quite underrated.

Having said that, everyone loving this album needs to listen to Natural Born Losers expeditiously :giraffe:

This album HOLY ******* **** LIKE HOW EVEN IS IT POSSIBLE TO CONCEIVE SOMETHING SO INCREDIBLE

This is 100% AOTY as of now, possible a top 10 of the decade :deadbanana4: only song that I still need to grow on me is Western Nights

My favs off first listen are the singles (perfect choices), both Family Trees, Thoroughfare and the absolute collapse that is Ptolomaea… legitimately an out of body experience

This is one of the best produced albums I’ve ever heard 

I’ve never heard of her before. I saw the cover while browsing Apple Music and was intrigued. 

so far I’m on track 2 and I love it. 

I still can’t believe she’s trans :ohwow: makes a lot of the lyrics HIT 

recent released albums on friday are in my honest opinion NOT topped this album yet.

just first day to go through and ready for tomorrow. A House in Nebraska grows on me. :worship2:

She is an icon in the making.

I'm still not over my first listen... this is such an amazing album.