Ethel Cain - 'Preacher's Daughter'

VENUSWAVE

The track lengths are rather punishing, especially considering how many of them there are, and how long the album is overall :jonnycat:

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• State of Grace.

• thatsmydemi

• mellenthin

• brooklyndaddy

Just now, Brando said:

The track lengths are rather punishing, especially considering how many of them there are, and how long the album is overall :jonnycat:

There's no time to question song lengths when you're supposed to just drown in them :jonny6: 

2 minutes ago, mellenthin said:

There's no time to question song lengths when you're supposed to just drown in them :jonny6: 

well.. at least they are not bad. Family Tree finally woke up towards the end and sounds quite epic now 

2 hour albums are still not my thing tho. keep it around 40 mins plz

9 minutes ago, Brando said:

well.. at least they are not bad. Family Tree finally woke up towards the end and sounds quite epic now 

2 hour albums are still not my thing tho. keep it around 40 mins plz

It's only 1hr 16 minutes. :heart2: 

But yeah, I totally get if you're not into longer projects and songs. Hope you get through it though, it ends on TOP. :jonny2: 

Edited by mellenthin

51 minutes ago, silaschase said:

Absolutely in love with this album. I don't think the comparison of some of her melodies and some of the production elements to Lana (Family Tree) and Taylor (American Teenager) are really that far off, but Ethel definitely carved her own niche here. We should stop comparing talented women to begin with who have such clear and concise visions for what type of artist they want to be.

Hope she does well. I could totally see P4K doing a retro on this if she follows it up with more incredible albums.

This exactly how I feel. Like to be completely honest, even before seeing the comparisons, I was describing her to my friends as a gothic Lana-Taylor hybrid :rip: But so what? That's just in terms of the "vibe" of some songs which pull influences from some of the same places Lana and Taylor do. Plus, the album is sonically very different from those artists, just a couple melodies and vocal tones here and there. 

Anyways, AOTY so far. Strangers is the best song of the century:heart:

How is thoroughfare so underrated I'm so shocked atrl?!?

What is smouldering americana that p4k refer to guys?

My AOTY tentaviely what an excellent album :pancake: 

7 hours ago, crymelanie said:

How is thoroughfare so underrated I'm so shocked atrl?!?

Another song of the century :jonny5: 

80/100 review from Beats Per Minute (already added to MC) :party: 

• ATRL Moderator

I've never heard of this artist, but I'm taking a listen through Preacher's Daughter and it's absolutely gorgeous. On Hard Times now and really enjoying what I'm hearing :jamming:

2 hours ago, Ampersand13 said:

I've never heard of this artist, but I'm taking a listen through Preacher's Daughter and it's absolutely gorgeous. On Hard Times now and really enjoying what I'm hearing :jamming:

Hard Times is Top 3 for me :flower: alongside Strangers and Gibson Girl

I can't stop playing Western Nights and Thoroughfare 

72ze.gif

I've had A House In Nebraska on repeat since I woke up It's my "fave song and best song ever" of the day I guess

72ze.gif

And I lie to her
And say that I'm doing fine
When really I'd kill myself
To hold you one more time
And it hurts to miss you
But it's worse to know
That I'm the reason
You won't come home

72ze.gif

maybe I've been listening to this too much but I can already kinda feel this album aging like milk, reminds me of Zella Day's debut album that I was obsessed with for like two months in 2015 and never used again after that

Some of the songs are giving cheesy to me now idk

2 hours ago, shookspeare said:

maybe I've been listening to this too much but I can already kinda feel this album aging like milk, reminds me of Zella Day's debut album that I was obsessed with for like two months in 2015 and never used again after that

pitchfork’s impact

2 hours ago, shookspeare said:

thank god I can't relate :biblio: 

16 hours ago, crymelanie said:

What is smouldering americana that p4k refer to guys?

first albums that come to mind are Darkness on the Edge of Town and Nebraska by Springsteen!

I'm actually playing it now more than the first few days :rip: 

I keep getting sucked into her world the moment I hit play on the intro :jonnycat:

Everybody show Ethel some love on social media! She posted that she’s been feeling super down and the most miserable ever with how much pressure (both positive and negative) has been thrown at her this week :(

keep it about the music y’all! 

the thread on that site locked as ethel's wishes, i cant :deadbanana2: but stan twitter keeps update quotes and misinfo/gaslight all drama from that forum so i get sometimes damage control is absolute needed for her health sake.

its called overnight sensation in full effect, barely few knew her before album dropped and now you got everyone attention all at once, very overwhelmingly stage she is now and her quote is quite alarming since she's been online 20 hrs per day in past week lol jk. :butterfly: pretty sure she and us love things to settle down a bit before those incoming gigs and minimum presses from now or maybe tour on intimate setting like olivia did imo thats optimistic thought. take care ethel :fan:

dn3EyYK.gif

OT: family tree SOTY im so sorry sweetie  :gaylorcat2:

Edited by Polgg48

sun bleached flies is insane :loki:

Music press is always living in the past because journalists’ brains don’t work in the forward thinking way a creator’s brain does. All these comparisons with Ethel come from people who have no instincts for interpreting art. Lana & The 1975 both got slammed in their 1st eras & are now P4K darlings. If anything, being panned on your 1st album by P4K is a sign that you’re onto a new wave & you’re a true original

It's not the responsibility for music journalists to coddle an artist's mental health or promote them to a higher platform if they don't want to, the hypocrisy of these gays getting mad when they gas up some artists and getting mad when they don't. Snowflakes

dn3EyYK.gif

AND I STILLL CALL HOMEEEE