Ethel Cain - 'Preacher's Daughter'

VENUSWAVE

2 minutes ago, goldstargay said:

I definitely picked up on Lana and Florence vibes during repeat listens of this -- I do think some of her vocal inflections and that kind of forlorn, meandering delivery/lyrics have lana vibes but tbh she really carved out her own niche with this one album which is quite a feat.

Florence 100%, was even my initial thought during her higher belts! But I think the Lana comparison is quite lazy for critics to bring up, because the music is nothing alike and it's only every now and then you can hear similarities in the voices. I don't think the comparison adds anything to the table from a critic's perspective.

And the Taylor comparison :deadbanana4: :deadbanana4: 

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• State of Grace.

• thatsmydemi

• mellenthin

• brooklyndaddy

Hard Times, Thoroughfare and Ptolemaea grew into 10s :jonny5:

Those ******* at The Guardian and Pitchfork can continue to seethe. :bunny:

Edited by lover.

Was playing this while studying and it worked so well. AOTY just keeps getting better :jonny4:

I just wanna fall in love this summer and listen to American Teenager on repeat. Is that too much to ask :jonny6: 

I want her to keep her P*******k drags but she's so hilarious :dies: Her twitter is a journey

This is easily my AOTY. Sun Bleached Flies is one of the greatest songs I've ever heard. It's really a masterclass in songwriting and production. For it to be on her debut album is insane :jonny6:

I literally cannot stop this from replaying. :rip: Once Family Tree (Intro) comes on again, I can't resist.

Yeah, I have it on repeat as well. :chick3: Sun Bleached Flies is so otherworldly, will go down as one of the best songs this decade.

Did anyone ask for the best song of the decade?

Found you just to tell you that I made it real far
And that I never blamed you for loving me the way that you did

While you were torn apart
I would still wait with you there

Don't think about it too hard
Or you'll never sleep a wink at night again
Don't worry 'bout me and these green eyes
Mama, just know that I love you (I do)
And I'll see you when you get here

72ze.gif

8 minutes ago, M.R. said:

Yeah, I have it on repeat as well. :chick3: Sun Bleached Flies is so otherworldly, will go down as one of the best songs this decade.

I was just listening to it, and I was gonna say the same thing :jonny5:

But then again, now I'm on Strangers and that is also one of the best songs of the decade. :deadbanana2: 

2 minutes ago, State of Grace. said:

Did anyone ask for the best song of the decade?

Found you just to tell you that I made it real far
And that I never blamed you for loving me the way that you did

While you were torn apart
I would still wait with you there

Don't think about it too hard
Or you'll never sleep a wink at night again
Don't worry 'bout me and these green eyes
Mama, just know that I love you (I do)
And I'll see you when you get here

72ze.gif

Not us twinsiesing :jonny5: 

72ze.gif

1 minute ago, mellenthin said:

I was just listening to it, and I was gonna say the same thing :jonny5:

But then again, now I'm on Strangers and that is also one of the best songs of the decade. :deadbanana2: 

Wait I forgot about Strangers and its climax. :jonny6: Wow, that is two best songs of the decade from debut album. Queen!

Just now, mellenthin said:

Not us twinsiesing :jonny5: 

72ze.gif

Omg yas sis :jonny5: I literally spent an two weeks listening to the demo on repeat when I discovered her. It's just on another level and the album version delivered too. Words cannot describe how much I love this song.

72ze.gif

Absolutely in love with this album. I don't think the comparison of some of her melodies and some of the production elements to Lana (Family Tree) and Taylor (American Teenager) are really that far off, but Ethel definitely carved her own niche here. We should stop comparing talented women to begin with who have such clear and concise visions for what type of artist they want to be.

Hope she does well. I could totally see P4K doing a retro on this if she follows it up with more incredible albums.

Just now, mellenthin said:

And now I'm on Family Tree (Intro) again :jonnycat: 

and just like that another FULL album listen starts

72ze.gif

6 minutes ago, M.R. said:

Wait I forgot about Strangers and its climax. :jonny6: Wow, that is two best songs of the decade from debut album. Queen!

5 minutes ago, State of Grace. said:

Omg yas sis :jonny5: I literally spent an two weeks listening to the demo on repeat when I discovered her. It's just on another level and the album version delivered too. Words cannot describe how much I love this song.

72ze.gif

Ugh, I'm so ready to go full-on stan with her. She is so multi-talented and her music just hits so different from anything else right now. :jonny2: 

I'm so manic over her right now.

72ze.gif

7 minutes ago, State of Grace. said:

and just like that another FULL album listen starts

72ze.gif

I've accepted that this is my life now.

72ze.gif

Listening to this right now. The first song I was like "Lana is dat you :cupid:

But then second song was serving Taylor circa Fearless/Speak Now rock sounding tracks. What an anthem tho! In love with this song already.

3rd tracks and we're back to Lana ish sound, not that similar tho... will keep listening