Book Discussion

velocity

I kinda need to purchase the book after watching this :bibliahh:

I'm halfway through Iron Gold, the 4th book of the Red Rising saga, and so far I'm enjoying it. I understand why some people aren't fans because this one is more about exploring more of the solar system and the multiple POV might be a bit annoying if you're very into what's going on with a certain character and when the chapter finishes with a cliffhanger, you just want to know what will happen next instead of changing the story to another character who is on another part of the moon/planet/solar system.

But at least it's better to enjoy these moments before the next book, which I've been told has like 5 red wedding scenes that will absolutely gag me :jonny:

And even though I'm having a good experience so far, an english sci-fi epic saga might not be the best choice for everyone to read if english isn't your native language :dies:

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fridayteenage

• fountain

• DanyelP23

• worldwide angel

I'm on page 500 of 'Oathbringer'

Jasnah finally gets an official POV in part 2.:clap3:

A Navani tea so far except for those 4-5 pages where she spoke with Ivory.

I thought I was gonna HATE the Bridgement pov but they're kinda eating (and the chapters itself are refreshing compared to what we got from FADladin previously)

Shallan is such a TEENAGER and I'm kinda here for it! Like, her whole 'Veil' and 'Radiant' alter-egos are so messy. Sometimes she's so smart but then she gives you her usual over the top witty replies (when she felt threatened by that girl who Adolin previously courted):bibliahh:

All the monarchs and the Stormfather LASHING Dalinar and reminding him of his 'glorious' past.:bibliahh:

I wonder how this is gonna be a 10 book series.

Everyone mentioned from the previous book is kinda giving fad:

Spoiler

Radiants - seems like everyone can be one

Voidbringers - Parshmen (with cute outfit changes depending on the form)

Heralds - crazy flops who  cant endure Damnation

The Almighty - dead, replaced by a messy version of himself (Stormfather)

Edited by DanyelP23

Finished part 3 of Oathbringer (I'm at around page 854/1299)

Those last chapters with the battle in Kholinar:clap3:

The scene where 

Spoiler

Elhokar is holding in one hand his baby son, in the other the sketch Shallan drew of him, speaking the words then suddenly being killed by Moash! Wow.

Khaladin FREEZING in the middle of battle.

Azure/Adolin/Shallan/Kaladin going through the oathgate, and seing spren in a different form/size

Dalinar remembering what happened to his wife and what he did in Rift

Wit having screentime / page time

STOMP AFTER STOMP AFTER STOMP!

just finished family lore by elizabeth acevedo :jonny4:

Chile I finished 'Oathbringer'.

I wanted to pull my hair with the 

Spoiler

Shadesmar plot in the 4th part of the book

A "The Fade" from the Dragon Age trilogy TEA.

and with the fighting scenes between pages around 1150-1250:hoetenks:

With that speaking, I LOVED the ENDING.

This is my second favorite so far: The Way Of Kings > Oathbringer > Words of Radiance.

So I took a bit of a break before I'm gonna get into Rhythm of War.

And so I read 'Yumi and the Nightmare Painter'

10/10:clap3:

A cute, dignified masterpiece which I anticipate I am going to think about for quite a while.

On 10/29/2023 at 10:04 PM, Flomik said:

I've been reading the Dune books for the last 2 years and it's definitely an... experience

Dune (the first book) was really great

Messiah started off boring but the ending was very poetic :clap3:

Children was a such a drag it took me a YEAR to finish it with multiple breaks and rereads because I kept forgetting wtf was going on :rip: The second half is much better but the first half was sooo hard to get through

God Emperor was AMAZING :jonny5: I absolutely loved it and I was so surprised to hear that it's apparently the most hated book of the saga!?? It's certainly my favorite one

Currently reading Heretics and I'm like a quarter in already. Seems quite interesting so far, but it's very different from previous books so I still need time to get used to it. I'll be posting my thoughts here as I keep reading.

Updating on Heretics of Dune:

Almost halfway through, it's decent and probably the most action-packed book in the series so far, BUT the constant mentions of pedophilia are getting on my nerves :rip: It was an issue in previous books too, but this time it's just a whole new level. Very disgusting.

Thank God they're not actually doing it in the book yet 

Edited by Flomik

Finally got into 'Rhythm of War' properly.

264 pages in (the edition with 1200+ pages)

I admit that I am listening to the audio dramatization of this, and when I'm in my home following on the physical book at the same time. I think each book took me 8-10 days by itself, and I did that one after the other so now I'm a bit tired. The cast is mostly doing a wonderful job and I love it.

Navani actually serving main character girl! Still love Jasnah (and good for her for baggin Wit) though and I'm waiting for something more focused on her:nicole:

Taravangian is having everyone in the coalition shooketh! 

And I love the voice actor who plays The Mink. His voice work here sounds eerily similar to that of the actor who played "Zevran" in Dragon Age: Origins, but I think it's 2 different people.

goodreads choice awards started.

they have a new category, romantasy. on the one hand, i hate that name. on the other, at least they won't clog up the fantasy category. 

Finally a new book by Jilly Cooper. Just when one of her books are being adapted into television. Wonder who'll play the hunky Rupert Campbell Black?

Finished Rhythm of War.

Liked it overall except for 

Spoiler

Taravangian becoming Odium. It felt kinda cheap, especially after we got so many repetitive scenes in which Taravangian was stupid, crying & on the bring of death. Curious about what's Cultivation's business in all of this and what are her intentions.

Spoiler

Eshonai's death flashback was also a highlight.

TABSvani, TABSboniel, TABSdolin & TABSvrangian (minus the part in the first spoiler) kinda saved the book this time.

The prologue and the first set of interludes in the first part are by far THEE strongest that we have had in a while.

Also, Szeth really is a big fad as a character.

Jasnah is not a fad, because to be a fad, she had to have faded from something, which she has not because her character was never properly developed as a lead or as a scene-stealer.

============

Started Babel and got through with the first chapter before bed. Interesting so far.

Edited by DanyelP23

Just finished "Medusas Sisters", now reading "The Weaver and the Witch Queen"

I'm 11 chapter into Babel by RF Kuang.

It's well written, (but kinda boring a bit, which I don't mind) and I fear it will have a bittersweet/sad ending:chick1:

Finished book 3 (as in part 3) of Babel.

This is soo good but also leaves me with a lingering feeling of dread:chick1:

I'm listening to the Odyssey by Homer on Audible. I know that this book is a classic but my goddess is it boring :chick2:

Babel was amazing.

ACOTAR book 1 is giving fanfic but it's easy to read. Feyre is annoying, I kinda get why Nesta could not stand her

I read ACOTAR when it came out and I remember not liking it a lot even back then. I decided to re-read because of the immense hype it's gotten and it was so awful. I could barely make it through :skull:

Every book I read based on it being popular on tiktok has been **** so now when I see that a book is hyped on tiktok i avoid it like the plague

• Like 1

1 hour ago, velocity said:

I read ACOTAR when it came out and I remember not liking it a lot even back then. I decided to re-read because of the immense hype it's gotten and it was so awful. I could barely make it through :skull:

Every book I read based on it being popular on tiktok has been **** so now when I see that a book is hyped on tiktok i avoid it like the plague

I have 50 pages left but it is so embarrassing.

It all went downhill when Feyre (the main character) went from the human realm back to the land of the fairies.

Funny cuz before reading I heard the book gets book after a certain amount of pages but it's only gotten for the WORST!

Thank god it's a borrowed book so I didn't pay for it.

On 11/8/2023 at 7:29 PM, Flomik said:

Updating on Heretics of Dune:

Almost halfway through, it's decent and probably the most action-packed book in the series so far, BUT the constant mentions of pedophilia are getting on my nerves :rip: It was an issue in previous books too, but this time it's just a whole new level. Very disgusting.

Thank God they're not actually doing it in the book yet 

This aged like milk btw :redface:

Finally finished Heretics of Dune.

Overall, it was quite a heavy read. The book is OK but some moments were too.. graphic and disturbing, to say the least. The author was horny HORNY :rip: Miles Teg is forever the GOAT though

A lot of moments were too confusing for me (the Dune books are always confusing, but this time it's more than usual). For example, the entire Bene Gesserit x Bene Tleilaxu "union" plotline basically went over my head :rip: I didn't understand it at ALL until much later in the book when it (kinda?) started to make more and more sense to me.

Now I'm gonna take a small break and start the final book of the saga, Chapterhouse of Dune

Edited by Flomik

Has anyone read A Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes? is it worth the read or should i just watch the movie?

Just read "The Shadow of the Gods" by John Gwynne :clap3::clap3::clap3:

Recommend it to people who like Game of Thrones.

I did have to look up on my kindle what some of the words meant but I did not mind.

Orka really is that gworl:jonny6:

Anyone have any awesome queer Christmas novel recs?

I am currently reading the german translation of the book "Alternativa fakta" (Alternative facts) by the swedish philosopher Åsa Wikforss. It's so interesting. I couldn't stop reading and I think everyone should read it. It's a good book to understand the current political zeitgeist.

Edited by Anthinos

On 11/25/2023 at 7:03 PM, illia said:

Finally finished Heretics of Dune.

Overall, it was quite a heavy read. The book is OK but some moments were too.. graphic and disturbing, to say the least. The author was horny HORNY :rip: Miles Teg is forever the GOAT though

A lot of moments were too confusing for me (the Dune books are always confusing, but this time it's more than usual). For example, the entire Bene Gesserit x Bene Tleilaxu "union" plotline basically went over my head :rip: I didn't understand it at ALL until much later in the book when it (kinda?) started to make more and more sense to me.

Now I'm gonna take a small break and start the final book of the saga, Chapterhouse of Dune

UPDATE: I'm 1/3 into Chapterhouse and... basically nothing happened :rip: It's been 95% philosophical ramblings and 5% any action at all

Reminds me of Dune Messiah where almost the entire book is basically inner thoughts of a main character, but at least back then it was a main character I actually cared about, while here it's just a bunch of witches doing... stuff + the most interesting characters are somewhere in the shadow so far

It JUST started picking up steam though, so from now on I hope it won't be as a slog as the first third was.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.