• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sensation

• geddymonster

• pride4jc1222

• Gui Blackout

• ATRL Moderator
11 hours ago, NoAngelus said:

I really haven't paid attention to Venus Williams since like 7th or 8th grade when she used to be populartop player.

Okay? We already knew you didn’t have taste.

• Thanks 2

Legend V disrespect is insane, in this thread? 

----

Sinner :rip: Him not getting a ban and being able to keep this private is insane and very questionable 

Disgusting ATP cover up on their current world number 1. Sinner needs to get the electric chair! 

Oh Sinner :soda:

Putting aside whether there was any wrongdoing on his part or not - just the fact that he was treated very differently to other tennis players who tested positive, and that this was kept quiet for months, is scandalous and makes it look suspicious. Other players who tested positive had it go public almost immediately, were immediately banned and would have to wait a long time to appeal the ban. Sinner was able to make an appeal, get the ban lifted immediately, keep playing on the tour and keep the whole thing quiet until after his name was cleared - not once, but twice!

And then him skipping the Olympics (who do testing separately to the ATP and don't have any vested interest in the outcome if a top athlete of any given sport tests positive) makes it all even more suspicious.

• Thanks 2

I can't say I'm surprised by muted reaction of establishment's golden boy failed doping test here and on internet in general. Makes you wonder what would've happened if other player was in his place.

I've been following closely the topic on twitter and so many things from press release were debunked I'm gonna share some of them during next few hours.

This organized cover up, while letting him play and pushing him to #1, makes me sick. The fact that doper went to Madrid and talked to press and then faked injury all while being suspended! He knew he was gonna get away with it. His team made him feel sure that he will get away.

I am so glad atp got exposed, but then again all leading men from ATP are Italians. Same lawyers represent doper, italian antidoping agency and atp. 

Also let's not forget that Anti doping agency at Olympics is far more rigid and Sinner also faked injury for Olympics... Makes you wonder if he kept taking dope. 

Here's a summary from twitter:

There are several things in the Jannik Sinner doping case that DO NOT make sense. Many people have doubts and I am going to reveal the SECRETS of the case here, so that you understand everything. I'll tell you about it in this THREAD. This is not speculation, it's what happened. Warning, there are some twists and turns ahead.

Sinner underwent two drug tests. One at Indian Wells. Another at the Miami tournament. Both in March. In one, he reached the semi-finals. In the other, he won the title. On April 4, the ITIA informed the player of the positive test he took in Indian Wells. That same day, the player's lawyers filed a complaint to prevent the case from being made public and to allow him to continue playing in the face of the threat of provisional suspension. For those who don't know, in 2016, the ITF announced that, from September 1st of that year, ALL cases of provisional suspension would be made public if a player had tested positive in a doping test in order to promote "transparency" and avoid the famous "silent bans" that occurred in the past where a player was suspended for X amount of time without anyone knowing in order to avoid tarnishing the image of the sport. Jannik and his lawyers knew how disastrous it would have been for his image if the positive test and his suspension had become known. It would have destroyed his career, not only in terms of tennis, but also financially for his list of sponsors. They acted quickly and on the same day they managed to stop the provisional ban, which is very unusual. According to the new rules, only when a sanction is imposed is made public. Since there was no sanction, the case was not made public. Therefore, no one knew anything about it. Jannik played in the Monte Carlo tournament that week, reaching the semi-finals. The problem came on April 17, when Sinner was notified of the positive result of the second test, the one in Miami. That same day, the player's lawyers filed a complaint again where they again explained the same thing as before, that it was an accident on the part of the masseur, who gave him a massage after having sprayed his hands with a spray containing a doping substance. Instead of taking hours, as the previous time, the ITIA responded to the player a week later, on the 24th. During that time, Sinner was NOT able to play, although his name appeared without any problems in the draw for the Madrid tournament, which took place on the 22nd. Here, it is striking that it took a week, when the previous time it was on the same day. Meanwhile, his case remained unpublished and he was allowed to sign up for Madrid. His provisional suspension was lifted again, allowing him to play in the tournament, reaching the quarter-finals before withdrawing due to injury. He then missed the tournament in Rome and left his participation in Roland Garros in doubt until the last minute. The reasons for the complaints of several players are that their provisional suspension was lifted on two occasions. Other tennis players, in very similar cases, were immediately suspended until they could prove their innocence.

The player and his lawyers claim that it was accidental doping. How do they explain this? Giacomo Naldi, his physiotherapist, and Umberto Ferrara, his physio, according to point 106 of the ITIA report, claimed that Naldi had injured his finger in one of the physiotherapy rooms. In an image from the tournament, where the camera catches Naldi, the physio is seen with a plaster on his finger that would explain the injury they are talking about. The inconsistency explained by the ITF report is that Gius, a friend of the player who was at that tournament, indicated that the injury occurred in a different place. The Court, according to the report, does not believe there is a discrepancy, despite everything, and determined that Naldi cut himself in the room described by him and Ferrara. There is an inconsistency in the origin of when Ferrara purchased Trofodermin, as specified in the report (point 105). The receipt does not match the date, but the Court overlooked this and did not consider it important. The biggest problem and the part that makes the least sense for the defense is the moment in which everything happened. Ferrara gave Naldi the bottle of Trofodermin to treat his wound, warning him that it contained Clostebol, a doping substance. The report explains it very clearly. Naldi, for his part, explained that he does not remember Ferrara warning him about anything. This is the biggest point of conflict of all. Naldi, who is an experienced physiotherapist and who, according to Diario Marca, has worked for six years with Virtus Bologna, a basketball team, was supposed to have been warned of the danger since there was at least one similar case in the team involving the same substance. Naldi massaged Jannik without gloves and without taking any precautions, hence the contact with the tennis player's skin and the reason why he tested positive. This is the strangest thing of all. Even more so when point 107 states that, perhaps, Naldi did not understand Ferrara's warning about the product well because he had jet lag and was suffering from stress due to family problems. This is where the oversight that the Court accepts comes from. In point 72 of the report, Jannik acknowledges that he never knew that he was being massaged with a product such as Trofodermin or that it could contain Clostebol, for this reason and for his willingness at all times to help in the case, he has been absolved of all blame and this is considered accidental doping, without sanction.

In Italy, there are several dozen cases of Italian athletes (not just tennis players, although there are 5 in total) who tested positive for Clostebol. This is therefore a frequent case in recent times in that country, where the product can be bought in a pharmacy and without a prescription. To mention it, for the record, Umberto Ferrara, Jannik's physical trainer, is a qualified pharmacist, as revealed in the ITIA report in point 76. Ferrara is therefore fully aware of the dangers of Trofodermin containing this substance, having it in the same room where Jannik Sinner is being treated. In similar cases to Jannik, Stefano Battaglino was suspended for 4 years because he could not reveal how Clostebol got into his body. Marco Bortolotti, on the other hand, did prove that it was accidental and the ITIA did not sanction him, as happened with Sinner. Sinner and his lawyers have been able to prove how Clostebol got into his body, which was accidental and without his knowledge, which is why the two positives did not lead to a provisional or final sanction. However, his points and money from the Indian Wells tournament were taken away. Under the regulations, if a player competes after testing positive, points and money should be taken away from him, but if the Court and his doctors recognise that the amount found (one billionth of a gram) did NOT affect his sporting performance, nothing should have been taken away from him as it is assumed that it did not provide him with any benefit.

That said, that is what happened and that is why Sinner was not sanctioned despite having tested positive. At no point was it made public during these four months, as the player had proven his innocence from the outset and that it was all accidental. The ITIA believed his version and that is why everything was kept secret from the public. Until August 15, Jannik participated in the circuit and defended himself via Zoom before the Court to prove that it was not intentional. Yes, other tennis players with similar cases were provisionally banned from the outset and spent months and months without playing until they could prove their innocence. The treatment was not the same, but each case is exceptional and the reasons will be specific to each case. If the ITIA's independent tribunal has said that Sinner did not dope and that it was all accidental, no one can say otherwise. That is evidence. The reason for the "accident" is up to each person to decide whether to believe it or not, and whether, because of who he is, he received any preferential treatment during this whole process. I am afraid that we will never know the answers to all the questions that remain unanswered.

If you have any doubts about ATP covering this up, let me remind you that Nadal has several failed doping tests that leaked online and that were also covered up. 

Point of the story: it matters where you come from and how powerful your country in the sport is. 

And last but not the least, ATP announced they will not retroactively give back #1 week to Novak

Makes you wonder how hard ATP works to remove him from #1, first Alcaraz reached #1 in the rankings ONLY because they removed points from Wimbledon in 2022 and mathematically speaking he STILL WOULDN'T HAVE reached #1 position if rankings weren't messed up. Therefor he already has decent amount of weeks at #1 and YE #1 without earning it.

And now Sinner, with the push of ATP to reach #1 during the period that he should've been banned. 2 years per failed test = 4 years until proven innocent and sentenced reduced.

• Thanks 1

I'm really excited about this year's class of 18-year-old players on the men's side, especially Jakub Mensik, Matthew Forbes, and Joao Fonseca.

USO will be interesting. Cinci Champ Sinner arrives under a shroud of doping scandal. Alcaraz has flopped all US hardcourt season. Djokovic has been lackluster all year outside of his gold on clay (and will come in with no warmups). 

My head says Djokovic and Sabalenka. Although I hope Pegula snatches her.

Edited by Exodus

Penko - Naomi :rip: 

please.

Raducanu's draw :rip: Another R1 exit pending…

Edited by abelfenty

I just got back from attending 2 days at the Open watching qualies and practices.  Saw all the top players like Alcaraz, Djokovic, Swiatek, Sabalenka, etc.  Also got to see Thiem one last time which was nice.

Looking forward to the main draw kicking off next week!

It'll be interesting to see what Sinner (and other players) have to say at the U.S. Open press conferences.

Day 1 Schedule

Ashe

Shelton v Thiem

Gauff v Gracheva

Burel v Stephens

Djokovic v Albot

Armstrong

Zheng v Anisimova

Carabelli v Fritz

Keys v Siniakova

Kovacevic v Tiafoe

Hon v Sabalenka

Day 2 Schedule

Ashe

Swiatek v Rakhimova

Sinner v McDonald

Alcaraz v Tu

Rogers v Pegula

Armstrong

Collins v Dolehide

Ostapenko v Osaka

Lajovic v Medvedev

Andreescu v Paolini

Sonego v Paul

4 hours ago, Sensation said:

Day 1 Schedule

Ashe

Shelton v Thiem

Gauff v Gracheva

Burel v Stephens

Djokovic v Albot

Armstrong

Zheng v Anisimova

Carabelli v Fritz

Keys v Siniakova

Kovacevic v Tiafoe

Hon v Sabalenka

Day 2 Schedule

Ashe

Swiatek v Rakhimova

Sinner v McDonald

Alcaraz v Tu

Rogers v Pegula

Armstrong

Collins v Dolehide

Ostapenko v Osaka

Lajovic v Medvedev

Andreescu v Paolini

Sonego v Paul

The Osakapenko match not being on Ashe is a crime.

50 minutes ago, geddymonster said:

The Osakapenko match not being on Ashe is a crime.

i have ashe tickets and I am pressed

Y'all monday's schedule really has me scared Sloane is retiring either after the Us open or end of year. because why else would she be primetime slot? ugh scone

12 hours ago, Slamless said:

i have ashe tickets and I am pressed

Y'all monday's schedule really has me scared Sloane is retiring either after the Us open or end of year. because why else would she be primetime slot? ugh scone

It's not Sloane, but Shelby Rogers will retire after the US Open: https://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_...tennis-player-shelby-rogers-31-retire-us-open

Linda Noskova wins her first WTA title, defeating Lulu Sun 7-6(6), 6-4 in Monterrey.

I really like Noskova's game. She just needs to be more consistent, but hopefully this is the first of many titles for her.

Shelton d. Thiem in 3

Fritz and Berrettini won and will play each other in R2

Sakkari lost her opening match via retirement

Rune lost his R1 in straights to American Nakashima

Sloane Stephens seems to be in great form. I couldn't stay up late enough to see the full match but she was stomping on Clara Burel at 6-0 3-0. She could win her second title here.

16 y/o American Iva Jovic won her R1 match yesterday

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.