• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dabunique

• Genius1111

• Nebur

• Katamari

Top Posters In This Topic

The “2gether cafe”, a pop-up restaurant on the second floor of the Tower Records Shibuya building in Tokyo, is a hub for a new Asian craze. Visitors, all women, swoon over wall-to-wall pictures of Bright Vachirawit and Win Metawin, stars of “2gether: The Series”, a Thai tv drama about two students who fall in love. The actors, both men, are depicted exchanging flirtatious glances and hugging. Airy Thai pop music plays in the background. “I didn’t know Thailand had such handsome men,” says Kobayashi Maki. An ardent fan of the tv series, she is studying Thai because of it.

Thai soap operas about gay romance, generically known as “Boys’ Love” (bl) or sometimes “Y series”, are stealing hearts across Asia. Though the first shows appeared in 2014, the genre, including over a hundred series to date, took off outside Thailand during covid-19 lockdowns, thanks in part to many being available on YouTube. In Japan, a key market, the hashtag Thai numa or “Thai swamp”—a reference to the shows’ addictiveness—is popular on social media. Thailand promotes bl content at international trade shows. In June 2021 the industry secured 360m baht ($10.4m) in foreign investment.

bl originated as a Japanese manga storyline, which became popular in the 1990s. It has always been mainly consumed by straight women, just as the Thai televised version is. “I get a see two handsome men together. It’s a feast for my eyes!” says Takabayashi Otoha, a 20-year-old Japanese fan. Rujirat Ishikawa, a Thai academic at Aoyama Gakuin University in Tokyo, says some women find it liberating to watch romance as a sexual “outsider”, with no female protagonist to make them feel jealous.

For the shows’ Thai producers, the global success of another group of delicately featured young men—South Korea’s k-pop stars—was another inspiration. They have copied elements of the k-pop business model, including heavy use of “fan services” such as meet-and-greet events to boost revenues. Poowin Bunyavejchewin of Thammasat University in Bangkok calls Thai bl a “melting pot” that mixes “the Japanese ingredient and Korean ingredient”.

Thai bl’s success has also started to attract more gay viewers. A recent survey suggested that more than 20% of the tv shows’ fans in Thailand are gay. That may be in part thanks to a growing number of storylines about the discrimination they face, notwithstanding Bangkok’s reputation as a gay mecca. The shows’ success is itself a rebuke to that chauvinism. “These days, you see bl couples featured on big advertisements in public. That used to be unthinkable,” says Mr Bunyavejchewin.

This puts the Thai government in a slightly awkward position. While embracing the bl shows’ potential to burnish Thailand’s soft power, it tends to play down their gay content when promoting them; it is also opposed to same-sex marriage. Back in 2007 the government briefly banned bl comics under obscenity laws. The production companies will be wary of provoking another backlash. “If they go too far, they might get crushed,” warns Ms Ishikawa. In Thailand, Boys’ Love is in, gay rights not so much

@Genius1111 and lo and behold this is da issue with da fandom lol

5 minutes ago, dabunique said:

@Genius1111 and lo and behold this is da issue with da fandom lol

Side note: I was thinking some time ago that while the 2 seasons and the movie never dealt with homophobia head on, I feel that at times, some of the characters did come across as mildly homophobic. I did think Tine himself was in a mix of self-denial and internalized homophobia in the first 7 episodes. Sarawat's and Phukong's mum, who only appeared in 1 episode, also seemed to be a homophobe. (She was mentioning something about a girlfriend to Sarawat.)

3 hours ago, dabunique said:

FrFARu7aAAEAPu9?format=jpg&name=large

Want to see a full view of Gem’s outfit. He’s serving I fear. :jonnycat:

3 hours ago, dabunique said:

FrFARu7aAAEAPu9?format=jpg&name=large

The way OhmNanon got pushed OUT.

4 minutes ago, JonginBey said:

The way OhmNanon got pushed OUT.

And EarthMix lol

Might have to bring the FOTY category back for King Hio :mandown:

geminiforth ending ohmnanon and the bad buddy obsession  :clap3:

Chains of heart ep 4, oh wow such a great episode, those cinematic scenes are everything. Plus, finally we got some story revealing and intimacy between Cheng and Ken :heart: Also, don't tell me that mdl girlies are right with their crazy theories that Cheng is actually a Din after plastic surgery:deadbanana:

Edited by Gottasadae

25 minutes ago, Gottasadae said:

Chains of heart ep 4, oh wow such a great episode, those cinematic scenes are everything. Plus, finally we got some story revealing and intimacy between Cheng and Ken :heart: Also, don't tell me that mdl girlies are right with their crazy theories that Cheng is actually a Din after plastic surgery:deadbanana:

no, that would be absurd, the episode made it clear that the amulet given to him by the priest or monk is for reincarnation, so he reincarnated in cheng (Well, I didn't make it clear that I reincarnated as him, but I think it's a bit obvious, because who else?:lakitu:

PD Chains of Heart  it is easily the best thai BL series of the blammy period oct22 -march23 so far :gaygacat5:

(I have not seen  khun chai yet)

Edited by Nebur

Tin Tem Jai ep 3 :dies::allears: This series is so silly but I love the two couples and I love the little group of friends but this is very silly :coffee:

58 minutes ago, Nebur said:

no, that would be absurd, the episode made it clear that the amulet given to him by the priest or monk is for reincarnation, so he reincarnated in cheng (Well, I didn't make it clear that I reincarnated as him, but I think it's a bit obvious, because who else?:lakitu:

PD Chains of Heart  it is easily the best thai BL series of the blammy period oct22 -march23 so far :gaygacat5:

(I have not seen  khun chai yet)

I think so too that Din somehow reincarnated into Cheng, these crazy theories on mdl about plastic surgery are beyond ridiculous :gaycat6: The other possible realistic gag if Din is actually alive :cupid: 

Also, absolutely agree with you that CoH is simply the best thai bl this year so far :gaycat2:

Didn't think it was possible for him to be even MORE beautiful but he's aging like fine wine :jonny6: Too bad he's probably done with BL after Kieta and Minatoad

I have some days off work and want to binge watch a BL

what’s the best BL of 2021 and 2022??

Reading dear door :hoetenks:

its like bleach  but with mind break smut!

Commentators  who refer to any aspect of Daikachi as being cute or adorable :rip:  deviants!

1 hour ago, Gabe² said:

If you go onto Reddit, you will probably see people recommending Fad Buddy, A Tale of A 1000 Stars, My School President. 

I would suggest these...

Traditional BLs: KinnPorsche, A Miracle of Teddy Bear

Shows with straight lead characters but at least 2 queer side couples: The Player, The Warp Effect

Traige has terrific reviews but I have not watched it.

Edited by Genius1111

4 hours ago, Gabe² said:

hello, that will depend on your taste but the best BLs in general on that date

Triage (Thailand)

The Warp Effect (Thailand queer Show)

Old Fashion Cupcake (japon)

Plus & Minus (Taiwan)

Blueming (Korea)

Semantic Error (korea)

DNA Says Love You (Taiwan)

Not me (Thailand)

The Miracle of Teddy Bear (thailand)

180 Degree Longitude Passes Through Us  (thailand) 

Among this BL there is everything, Hardcore, Fluffy, realistic ETC, they were the best, however it will depend on your tastes

To My Star 1 and 2 (korea)

Bad Buddy (thailand)

My School President (thailand)

KinnPorsche (thai)

Papa and Daddy. Season 1 and 2 (taiwan)

Did we forget A Tale of Thousand Stars, one of da most awarded BL’s ever 

FrLVxi7aQAAXexU?format=jpg&name=large

FrLVxfcaAAUGvof?format=jpg&name=large

FrLvDJ9akAAWVuj?format=jpg&name=large

FrLRsFWaMAAdhqt?format=jpg&name=large

I don’t like Earth’s haircut :cold2:

Khun Chai Ep 10 Part 3

Oh damn, Yang is literally the best straight character in a BL. In fact, he might even be better than every other queer character in a BL. Really hoping that he has a moment like Chonlatee's mum where he scalps and destroys all the homophobes.

Spoiler

But death to him for intentionally misgendering Tian.

Seriously, Jiu who? Honestly, this show could have just ended with Tian being single and I would have been perfectly fine with it.

Hoping that the cicada orchid is used wrongly and the boys get aroused by each other / one another?

It would also be cute to have a 2023 epilogue of the 3 guys as a bunch of 100-year-olds.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.