Nintendo Base | Zelda: Echoes of Wisdom (9/24); Metroid Prime 4 trailer (2025)

feelslikeadream

Late to the game but if Iove Pokemon and Zelda more RPG games will I be down with xenoblade chronicles ? Got a GameStop gift card and kinda want something I can sink a lot of hours into like I did with Pokémon and Zelda 

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• feelslikeadream

• Magickarp

• Rence

• Katamari

3 hours ago, Motivation93 said:

Late to the game but if Iove Pokemon and Zelda more RPG games will I be down with xenoblade chronicles ? Got a GameStop gift card and kinda want something I can sink a lot of hours into like I did with Pokémon and Zelda 

XENO YES. 

I can’t recommend this series enough. If you ask for advice on which to start with you’ll get overwhelmed though because everyone prefers a different one - but they’re all really great. In my opinion: 

Start with 1 if you prefer games with engaging story and plot twists and turns. 

Start with 2 if you like great character development and strong battle mechanics (but avoid if waifu and anime tropes bother you). 

Start with Torna (a standalone expansion for 2) if you want to play the best in the series :chick1: (but actually don’t start here because it really does play better when you have context for it after playing 2)

Start with 3 if you want a good balance of all of the best things from each of the other games (but it’s not necessarily the strongest in any of those metrics, it’s just a good all rounder and has the most QOL improvements too). 

EDIT 

Just to add to be comprehensive, start with X if you own a WiiU, can find it for a reasonable price, and enjoy exploring open worlds freely

Edited by youreyesgocold

3 minutes ago, youreyesgocold said:

XENO YES. 

I can’t recommend this series enough. If you ask for advice on which to start with you’ll get overwhelmed though because everyone prefers a different one - but they’re all really great. In my opinion: 

Start with 1 if you prefer games with engaging story and plot twists and turns. 

Start with 2 if you like great character development and strong battle mechanics (but avoid if waifu and anime tropes bother you). 

Start with Torna (a standalone expansion for 2) if you want to play the best in the series :chick1: (but actually don’t start here because it really does play better when you have context for it after playing 2)

Start with 3 if you want a good balance of all of the best things from each of the other games (but it’s not necessarily the strongest in any of those metrics, it’s just a good all rounder and has the most QOL improvements too). 

EDIT 

Just to add to be comprehensive, start with X if you own a WiiU, can find it for a reasonable price, and enjoy exploring open worlds freely

@youreyesgocold wasn’t expecting such a great explanation hehe you’re the best thanks babe. I think I may pick 3. I don’t have a wiiU sadly 

1 minute ago, Motivation93 said:

@youreyesgocold wasn’t expecting such a great explanation hehe you’re the best thanks babe. I think I may pick 3. I don’t have a wiiU sadly 

you’re welcome sis :hug:

I basically only come in this thread to randomly scream about Torna or Metroid, so that was perfect timing.

But yes, 3 is probably the best place to start tbh for all newcomers (though you will have some people chime in saying it’s better to play them in order for full story context - even though the games almost have nothing to do with each other). Their stories stand alone with no prior knowledge required, and their only connections amount to basically cool Easter egg references to each other at most

3 hours ago, Motivation93 said:

Octopath Traveler is pretty Pokemon-like in the sense it's turn based combat wit random encounters. There's a free lengthy demo u can try too. 

Xenoblade i would do 2, but i'm biased against 3 :fan:

Fire Emblem 3 Houses, & Triangle Strategy are also good turn based games with a great story. They are a different form of turn base tho. Triangle strategy also has a free lengthy demo.

Nier Automata is pretty Zelda BOTW-ish in terms of combat, & its a great story.

• ATRL Moderator
1 hour ago, Motivation93 said:

3 is the worst one, and I say this as someone who considers Xenoblade my favorite series :rip: The characters are pretty flat, the environments are standard RPG/adventure tropes (a desert, a forest, etc.) and kind of empty at times, the side quests are primarily fetch quests or boring grinds, etc. etc.

The first two entries have MUCH better stories and character development, if you care about that. Then again, your point of reference was Pokémon and Zelda, so I'm guessing story doesn't matter much for you. So if you're mostly into exploration and a simple combat system, I'm not sure you'd really like XC3 tbh. You should probably watch some videos on YouTube.

9 hours ago, Motivation93 said:

Yeah, go for Xenoblade Chronicles 3 and/or Shin Megami Tensei V. Best Switch RPG games (together with XC1 and 2).

Personally, I find XC3 the most addicting out of the 3 titles on Switch + DLC is coming in 2023 so it's definitely the best option right now. 

Shin Megami is one of my fave RPGs of all time as well. If you're into monster-catching RPG games (I see you like Pokemon), you may enjoy this game a lot. Mature, dark, nice exploration, great content (+ DLC in case you're interested). Kinda like the adult Pokemon franchise. 

Edited by thatsmydemi

I hate the wartrain in Bayonetta with every fiber of my being.

Oh the usual Xeno discourse and debate… I’ve missed you so :allears:

@Monolithsoft I know it’s been like 5 months but we need a new one STAT (or at LEAST a trailer for the expansion pass campaign for 3 kplzthx)

I still haven’t finished Pokemon :toofunny2: 

i need to start Bayonetta 3 asap !!

13 hours ago, DanceFreak said:

Bayonetta 3>2>1 :bird:

11 hours ago, znake said:

I still haven’t finished Pokemon :toofunny2: 

i need to start Bayonetta 3 asap !!

I started it this week after finishing Pokémon and I find it so… boring???

I absolutely loved the first two and couldn’t put them down when I bought them for WiiU on release, but this one just feels like a never ending stream of cutscenes. I don’t really like the demon battles either… maybe it’s just because I am at the start of the game still but it isn’t really capturing me at all. 

Can’t wait for p3 

I hope they got rid of the save glitches from the ps2 

Just started Bayonetta 3 yesterday and my initial impressions are I’m enjoying it more than 1 & 2 so far.

Unless the first chapter is massively misleading to the rest of the game then I’m struggling to see the heavy criticism towards the game?

10 hours ago, youreyesgocold said:

I started it this week after finishing Pokémon and I find it so… boring???

I absolutely loved the first two and couldn’t put them down when I bought them for WiiU on release, but this one just feels like a never ending stream of cutscenes. I don’t really like the demon battles either… maybe it’s just because I am at the start of the game still but it isn’t really capturing me at all. 

Maybe you'll like it later when you get more variety with demons and weapons :bird: I think the game starts to shine once you get to the Tokyo part with the other B :bird:

9 hours ago, P!nk said:

Just started Bayonetta 3 yesterday and my initial impressions are I’m enjoying it more than 1 & 2 so far.

Unless the first chapter is massively misleading to the rest of the game then I’m struggling to see the heavy criticism towards the game?

The gameplay is pretty much acclaimed. The story is where it gets trashed the most. I dont hate the story but I can understand why some would dislike it especially if theyve been following the series since the beginning

Metroid Prime 4

TOTK

SV DLC

FE: Downgrade

Octopath Traveler 2

Mario (???)

Q1 direct is gonna be packedT :jonny5: hopefully in January.

Goodbye Switch Pro/2 2023 :'( i have 0 reason to buy an OLED when i play mostly Docked.

Y'all... I'm seriously considering selling Persona 5 without even finishing it. It's boring me to death. :rip:

24 minutes ago, thatsmydemi said:

Y'all... I'm seriously considering selling Persona 5 without even finishing it. It's boring me to death. :rip:

Not everyone has taste it's okay.

Seriously, there are a lot of adjectives that could be used to describe P5, but boring is not one of them. The combat is very fun for a turn based system, the story is good and engaging, the characters' interactions are fun, the Palaces are so unique and well done... Moreover, without spoiling anything, the ending is literally amazing (the Royal Edition one, not the standard. )I just think JRPGs might not be for you. 

1 hour ago, D.Va said:

Not everyone has taste it's okay.

Seriously, there are a lot of adjectives that could be used to describe P5, but boring is not one of them. The combat is very fun for a turn based system, the story is good and engaging, the characters' interactions are fun, the Palaces are so unique and well done... Moreover, without spoiling anything, the ending is literally amazing (the Royal Edition one, not the standard. )I just think JRPGs might not be for you. 

JRPGs is all I play :skull: 

Maybe I'm not in the mood for this one. Anyway, I'm giving it a second chance. 

6 hours ago, thatsmydemi said:

JRPGs is all I play :skull: Maybe I'm not in the mood for this one. Anyway, I'm giving it a second chance. 

8 hours ago, thatsmydemi said:

JRPG's is all i play too, and i found the combat so basic, & more boring than Pokemon. I saw a lot of people say they took a few days to beat the 1st Palace, but i finished it in 1 :rip: Also I know this is an unpopular take, but i did not care for the story :rip: it's too XC3 one dimensional good guy good, bad guy bad for me. Granted i did not get far, but i was already feeling that way about the plot after the 1st palace. And the Buffet scene u get after just reinforced my feelings. 

The game opens up right before u can do the 1st Palace. So I'd say at least complete the 1st palace, & maybe till u get the quest for the 2nd palace. Since ur enjoying the plot i'd say u could still find enjoyment in the game once u get past the tutorial phase. I googled "does the plot get better" and apparently the 1st palace has the most compelling story, so there was no point in me pushing further :rip:

11 hours ago, Magickarp said:

JRPG's is all i play too, and i found the combat so basic, & more boring than Pokemon. I saw a lot of people say they took a few days to beat the 1st Palace, but i finished it in 1 :rip: Also I know this is an unpopular take, but i did not care for the story :rip: it's too XC3 one dimensional good guy good, bad guy bad for me. Granted i did not get far, but i was already feeling that way about the plot after the 1st palace. And the Buffet scene u get after just reinforced my feelings. 

The game opens up right before u can do the 1st Palace. So I'd say at least complete the 1st palace, & maybe till u get the quest for the 2nd palace. Since ur enjoying the plot i'd say u could still find enjoyment in the game once u get past the tutorial phase. I googled "does the plot get better" and apparently the 1st palace has the most compelling story, so there was no point in me pushing further :rip:

That's so untrue it's actually hilarious :bibliahh: I'll google the same thing to check but I don't know why anyone would wrote this considering the story arcs that take place in the next few palaces.

The buffet scene actually hinted to something much bigger, idk why this scene in particular gave you the impression that the game wouldn't have any nuances. 

Question : Please elaborate on the combat because how is it more boring than Pokemon ? You have a lot of mechanics to play with (using guns depending on ennemies, playing around elemental weaknesses to then create an all out attack, choosing to attack or to recrute by your side a persona, baton-pass which is incredibly fun, ...).

Anyway, y'all both play JRPGs, so you know that sometimes the story can take awhile to get amazing/for all the pieces to come together. Granted the game can simply not be for you, but the last palace is in my opinion one of the best moment stories in gaming. Moreover, after Kamoshida, there are only two other palaces that have "BAD!!!!" villains, all the other ones are very well developed and nuanced. 

Edited by D.Va

Best-Selling Consoles:

1. PS2 - 158.7M hardware - 1.52B software

2. DS - 154.02M hardware - 948.76M software

3. GameBoy/Color - 118.69M hardware - 501.11M software

4. PS4 - 117.2M hardware - 1.997B software (broken up between PS4 and PS5)

5. Switch - 114.33M hardware - 917.59M software*

Sony’s software sales are inflated because they include super cheap digital downloads (Nintendo excludes them) and they combined PS4 and PS5, but Switch will be the biggest gaming console next year. Cheers, ladies :coffee2: 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.