[Day 832] Russian Invasion of Ukraine

Espresso
Lee!!
Message added by Lee!!,

How to Support Ukraine:

The National Bank of Ukraine has decided to open a special fundraising account to support the Armed Forces of Ukraine:

Official special account: 

UA843000010000000047330992708

The account is multi-currency, it is created and opened both for the transfer of funds from international partners and donors - in foreign currency (US dollars, euros, British pounds), and from Ukrainian businesses and citizens - in national currency.

For USD remittances:
BENEFICIARY: National Bank of Ukraine
BENEFICIARY BIC: NBUA UA UX
BENEFICIARY ADDRESS: 9 Instytutska St, Kyiv, 01601, Ukraine
ACCOUNT NUMBER: 400807238
BENEFICIARY BANK NAME: JP MORGAN CHASE BANK, New York
BENEFICIARY BANK BIC: CHASUS33
BENEFICIARY BANK ADDRESS: 383 Madison Avenue, New York, NY 10017, USA
PURPOSE OF PAYMENT: for crediting account 47330992708

For EUR remittances:
ACCOUNT NUMBER: 5040040066
IBAN DE05504000005040040066 
BENEFICIARY BANK NAME: DEUTSCHE  BUNDESBANK, Frankfurt
BENEFICIARY BANK BIC: MARKDEFF
BENEFICIARY BANK ADDRESS: Wilhelm-Epstein-Straße 14, 60431 Frankfurt Am Main, Germany

For GBP remittances:

ACCOUNT NUMBER: 40000982
IBAN GB52CHAS60924280033041
Sort code 60-92-42 
BENEFICIARY BANK NAME: JP MORGAN CHASE BANK NA, London
BENEFICIARY BANK BIC: CHASGB2L
BENEFICIARY BANK ADDRESS: 125 London Wall, London EC2Y 5AJ, UK

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Espresso

• Genius1111

• ZIVERT

• katykater

3 minutes ago, Espresso said:

Why would any credible source ever say this publicly? That’s absolutely enough of a direct threat to be taken as directly escalatory :doc: 

1 minute ago, ClashAndBurn said:

Why would any credible source ever say this publicly? That’s absolutely enough of a direct threat to be taken as directly escalatory :doc: 

It's Newsweek, for the record. I'm just flying through tweets at the moment and will pull up the link at some point unless you wanted to Google it.

2 minutes ago, Espresso said:

It's Newsweek, for the record. I'm just flying through tweets at the moment and will pull up the link at some point unless you wanted to Google it.

I mean, I would absolutely believe that an American official would say something like that. We are known for our hubris as much as for our stupidity, after all. At this point I have to feel that we’re more or less daring Putin to go down that road because the hawks in our government certainly WANT to take that step as soon as possible.

8 hours ago, ClashAndBurn said:

Well, there are many hawks who feel that sacrificing Ukraine to avoid nuclear-driven extinction isn't worth the cost of how badly hurt their feelings would be about letting the bad guys win. Many of those people are the ones who drive policy, so what you hope doesn't really matter. Because that risk is one they're willing to chance.

You're also forgetting that Russia has said that they would view any further sanctions as an act of war and could also respond accordingly just from that. If we were truly to bend to Putin's will to avoid nuclear war, we would pull back on sanctions altogether. Which isn't going to happen, nor necessarily should it. We've been living in a game of chance since February, since Putin's clearly deranged and doesn't care whether the human race even survives the consequences of his actions.

1 hour ago, ClashAndBurn said:

I mean, I would absolutely believe that an American official would say something like that. We are known for our hubris as much as for our stupidity, after all. At this point I have to feel that we’re more or less daring Putin to go down that road because the hawks in our government certainly WANT to take that step as soon as possible.

I don't know why you gaslighted yourself into thinking that the West hasn't done anything to prevent a war. The question you should be asking is what MORE can we do at this point to turn things around without stepping in, because that's basically all we've been doing. Remember that for a good part of the last 12 months and even earlier: NATO were trying to de-escalate the situation by assuring Putin Ukraine wouldn't join NATO, Germany was strengthening economic ties with Russia to maintain peace, France and Canada have been keeping continuous contact and holding constant meetings during this war with Putin. NATO troops have yet to be involved and many of the strong weapons have been withheld despite the fact that they could have helped end this conflict sooner.

A reminder that some of the early small sanctions were supposed to leave the entire world nuked because every step of the way Putin says that nothing short of bending over and letting Russia annex half of Europe is a "red line." Be realistic look around you and assess where we're at, it's not 2019 and nothing will bring an immediate peace. It's gonna be a long process and it will get worse before it gets better.

When Putin starts going after the small NATO countries people like you will be saying well the HAWKS just can't let go of a few peasant countries to prevent the war. And that will be the end of the alliance.

Edited by Illuminati

Alright, a lot to get to over the course of the day. I've completely edited the OP.

Al-Jazeera has apparently officially stopped daily tracking because of Putin's annexation, so until they have an update (which I doubt will happen because the dynamics here have completely changed), the OP will just have the last map they had on the territorial status before today's events. 

Will also just have the YouTube clips of WION's early coverage as well as the Julia Ioffe Frontline interview in the OP and people can go to other clips from there. It was in desperate need of a clean-up.

15 minutes ago, Illuminati said:

I don't know why you gaslighted yourself into thinking that the West hasn't done anything to prevent a war. The question you should be asking is what MORE can we do at this point to turn things around without stepping in, because that's basically all we've been doing. Remember that for a good part of the last 12 months and even earlier: NATO were trying to de-escalate the situation by assuring Putin Ukraine wouldn't join NATO, Germany was strengthening economic ties with Russia to maintain peace, France and Canada have been keeping continuous contact and holding constant meetings during this war with Putin. NATO troops have yet to be involved and many of the strong weapons have been withheld despite the fact that they could have helped end this conflict sooner.

A reminder that some of the early small sanctions were supposed to leave the entire world nuked because every step of the way Putin says that nothing short of bending over and letting Russia annex half of Europe is a "red line." Be realistic look around you and assess where we're at, it's not 2019 and nothing will bring an immediate peace. It's gonna be a long process and it will get worse before it gets better.

When Putin starts going after the small NATO countries people like you will be saying well the HAWKS just can't let go of a few peasant countries to prevent the war. And that will be the end of the alliance.

Are you kidding? Putin's war has been an absolute gift to the West and they don't want it to stop. Officials from the US have said they want to see the war fought to the last Ukrainian at the cost of bleeding Russia dry and that's exactly what they're getting because Putin's too stupid to realize he's played directly into NATO's hands. There is NOTHING altruistic about NATO scraping their weapons coffers to make sure Ukraine has the confidence to forego suing for peace.

I'm aware that nothing will bring peace, immediate or otherwise, because our leaders don't want it. They don't want any outcome that stops short of the total humiliation and balkanization of Russia, in addition to the public assassination of Putin. Even if Russia were to back down and pull all of their troops out TODAY, crippling sanctions would almost certainly remain in place, and you know that.

1 minute ago, Espresso said:

Maybe Ivan should be sent to the front so he can see the situation for himself!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.