K-Pop Thread: 2022 Archive

Ryan

10 minutes ago, lovatos said:

Even before I got into kpop, I was well aware of who BTS and to a certain extent Blackpink (I was familiar with Jennie lol). I don’t get why some people try to discredit BTS’ mainstream success. Most people in my real life have heard of kpop because of BTS. You can have your own opinion on their music and their fans. That’s completely fine, but it’s just pathetic to straight up lie and pretend that they’re not huge

People Know BTS. Does they listen to their music? That’s another question. Does they’re known individually? Idk but i can name a bunch of groups where only one member is popular, I’m sure no one can name a single pussycat dolls member beside Nicole, and that’s goes to Destiny child, 5H, LM... 

And in Asia BTS stomp every western artists so I don’t get the obsession over being mainstream in the US as if most popular American artists aren’t locals. :dies:

• Replies 78.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mel.

• Witnessed ET

• hallucinate

• Dialamba

Top Posters In This Topic

56 minutes ago, MonsterNavy said:

where do you live? cause here in asia these 2 are literally known everywhere and I mean everywhere:toofunny3:

Yeah I did not mean Asia obviously. I live in Austria where people are generally racist towards Asians 

31 minutes ago, Arthoe said:

Honestly, nobody of the general public outside of Asia has K-Pop on their map like stans want to make you believe. Chart results are decent at times, but like... go on the street and ask any person who is above legal age in Germany, Brazil or Namibia to name a member of BTS OR Blackpink and you'll get a quick reality check. Like... people don't even know Dynamite is a BTS song, they don't care. They listen to what's on the radio and don't question it. People think Adele and Lady Gaga are the same person. People think I Kissed A Girl was sung by Pink. The general public doesn't care about achievements for musicians. They'll never be the same level of celebrity as actors are because their art doesn't depend on being seen, even with all the visual stimuli like MVs, photshoots, documentaries etc.

Yeah idk about elsewhere but I'd say in the west most of Kpop's #s are achieved by mass streaming/buying by chronically online people :skull: which is still a big enough niche but yeah...

22 minutes ago, samybertoni said:

Well in France, at least, there's a huge kpop community and the gp knows about kpop, maybe not all of them can name a group like BTS or Blackpink, but I've seen BTS on TV multiple times, and everyone around me have heard about them AND Blackpink, especially How You Like That and that BTS song with Coldplay, so it may not be MAINSTREAM mainstream but it's certainly not some unknown world like it used to be back then 

The way Twice songs always comes in background in shows like Le Meilleur Patissier is killing me. :ahh: 

3 minutes ago, Xalric said:

The way Twice songs always comes in background in shows like Le Meilleur Patissier is killing me. :ahh: 

I heard lucid dream on the voice kids :dies:

56 minutes ago, Dialamba said:

Both BTS and BP are such awful representations of Kpop in Western market

I always said this 

21 minutes ago, Xalric said:

They always use kpop songs in reality tv too :rip: Les Marseillais were promoting Ice Cream like two or three times a WEEK :deadbanana2:

Even my grandma know who BTS and BLACKPINK are :ahh: there's no way u can escape from those groups and I'm not asian 

-

Anyways Jennie ad seriously was so good :jonny5: I'm so hyped for her acting career :clap3: she's really an star! 

She can sing, rap, act, dance :clap3: her future is bright in literally everything :jonny5:

I really hope we get new JK1 sooner than later :jonny5: Hyped for The Idol :jonny5:

17066f7c3c0643feffa202d5d483d91fb1a8797e 

BTS was the group that got me into kpop i may not be a fan of them as I was before but they have good music going back to their pre dynamite songs, but their impact can't ve denied, and they have worked really hard over the years so they deserve all the success, I feel some people dislikes them as a reaction to the very toxic fanbase 

7 minutes ago, Spears_Stan said:

BTS was the group that got me into kpop i may not be a fan of them as I was before but they have good music going back to their pre dynamite songs, but their impact can't ve denied, and they have worked really hard over the years so they deserve all the success, I feel some people dislikes them as a reaction to the very toxic fanbase 

Yes it's true their fanbase really ruined for a lot of casual fans

6 minutes ago, Zack said:

This reality show with Irene and her staff is so shameless and fake but I'm kinda living for it :dies:

That's Level Up new season sis :deadbanana2:

Setting another record and another first for kpop while yall still fuming about them 24/7 and calling them "irrelevant" :alexz: 

keep talking they shut you down indeed :toofunny3: 

Edited by MonsterNavy

9 minutes ago, Sept said:

That's Level Up new season sis :deadbanana2:

I didn't even notice Yeri :bibliahh:

It's because she was talking about Bali! My point still stands though [insert clip from Irene's show not Level UP]. Let me stream LUP season 5 :clap3:

OT: Anyway, in other news Joy arrived to Milan Fashion Week for Tod's :clap3:

Edited by Zack

its weird that bts only has one song that spent one day at #1

cause didnt dynamite debut with 12m or something :rip:

Edited by Sugden

4 minutes ago, Sugden said:

its weird that bts only has one song that spent one day at #1

cause didnt dynamite debut with 12m or something :rip:

They were competing with WAP :rip: And Butter was competing with Good 4 U

BP is competing with Harry Style's 4-month old song. Dynamite's streams was on par with Shutdown I think (?). And Spotify has grown so much in Asia in the past couple of years

24 minutes ago, Zack said:

This reality show with Irene and her staff is so shameless and fake but I'm kinda living for it :dies:

:rip: 

8 minutes ago, Zack said:

I didn't even notice Yeri :bibliahh:

It's because she was talking about Bali! My point still stands though [insert clip from Irene's show not Level UP]. Let me stream LUP season 5 :clap3:

OT: Anyway, in other news Joy arrived to Milan Fashion Week for Tod's :clap3:

If you watch the show, her interactions with the crew was so natural :clap3: Can't wait to watch LUP season 5 btw

2 minutes ago, Sept said:

They were competing with WAP :rip: And Butter was competing with Good 4 U

BP is competing with Harry Style's 4-month old song. Dynamite's streams was on par with Shutdown I think (?). And Spotify has grown so much in Asia in the past couple of years

oh it makes sense then

anyways why is this the best blackpink song ever?

Just now, Sept said:

If you watch the show, her interactions with the crew was so natural :clap3: Can't wait to watch LUP season 5 btw

I watched but I found it quite scripted tbh. I didn't like it because it seems to be drawing attention back to the staff issue. 

They also need to promote her solo activities more. The official RV accounts barely even posted about that show. 

These days it's like they only wheel her out for a comeback project, whereas the other members are getting booked for solo stuff. I feel like enough time has passed for SM to give Irene another shot. The image rebuild should have ended already. If they don't, I feel like she might not renew in 2024. 

1 minute ago, Zack said:

I watched but I found it quite scripted tbh. I didn't like it because it seems to be drawing attention back to the staff issue. 

They also need to promote her solo activities more. The official RV accounts barely even posted about that show. 

These days it's like they only wheel her out for a comeback project, whereas the other members are getting booked for solo stuff. I feel like enough time has passed for SM to give Irene another shot. The image rebuild should have ended already. If they don't, I feel like she might not renew in 2024. 

I mean SM just take really long to rebound idols back into action :rip:  just take Lucas for example nnn I think they don't want to ruin the idols' reputation completely but at the same time don't realise what steps to take to come back from those kind of situations 

3 minutes ago, Sugden said:

oh it makes sense then

anyways why is this the best blackpink song ever?

wait I just realize that the song is fully in English :pancake:

In fact:

Pink Venom - 80% English

Shut Down - 70% English

Typa Girl - 100% English

Tally - 100% English

The Happiest Girl - 100% English

Ready For Love - 50% English

Yeahx3 is the only Korean song really