Taylor Swift

Achilles.

33 minutes ago, Klein said:

I'm gonna bring the discussion here because I think the other thread is not as good of a place to have this discussion, but which song do you think is the most scathing in Taylor's entire discography? I personally think it's TSMWEL, but many people seem to think it is Dear John or others. I'm gonna quote my post but I would like to know your opinions/takes on the subject. 

Like they say... Thoughts? 

TSMWEL's bridge has to be her most scathing piece of lyrics ever. The way it was gasp after gasp on my initial listen :jonnyknife:

Edited by Dear Reader
  • Like 2

• Replies 41.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Taylor fanboy

• Dear Reader

• Michael196

• Klein

Top Posters In This Topic

TSMWEL lyrically is a much more biting piece of character assassination, but Dear John is the better song. I don't really find myself revisiting the former unless I'm doing a listen of the album in its entirety. 

I'm lacking lore on TSMWEL. What was that car crash? What party? etc.

Dear John has two persons (Martin or John) allegedly written about and one can easily build a case for each of them.

It's more exciting plus the universal acclaim. Ugh. A winner!

Edited by Taylor fanboy

Dear John outsold with ease.

TSMWEL is a great Happier Than Ever (Taylor's Version) but it lacks the emotiveness of Dear John, especially the build-up to the bridge; literally nothing comes close to the sheer raw gothic feminine rage that went into "over your sad empty town".

Oops I should've made myself clear. In no way shape or form do I think TSMWEL is a better song than Dear John (who is still, 14 years later, one of the absolute best song in her discography) (and actually, anyone who thinks otherwise should be jailed but they won't get time). I was just asking in terms of "scathingness". I think John is much better off after Dear John than Ratty was after TSMWEL. But at the same time, that might be because in 2024, Taylor holds a power that is immensely bigger than in 2010. 

Edited by Klein

The anger of youth can't be replicated, it's very straightforward and candid, but there's something more scathing about ttpd in general that her other albums lack, it's a very adult kind of anger, an anger mixed with shame and depression, it's simmering under the surface and it's bitter, spiteful, and unhinged. Ugh ttpd, the way it perfectly represents my personality :grump:.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TayDuaStan said:

That remix is AWFUL. Thank god Taylor's not on it :gaycat5:

I loved it but understand it's not going be for everyone! I need a Taylor and Ariana collab though, I am tired of how some fans pit them against each other, I feel like they are both in different lanes, Taylor bounces between different genres with her albums, whereas Ari stays primarily in pop or r&b. Taylor also has more years in the industry and makes sense the legacy status she has, while Ari is building one currently. Basically I need that damn afterglow remix or ANY remix from them both…. 

5 hours ago, Dear Reader said:

TSMWEL's bridge has to be her most scathing piece of lyrics ever. The way it was gasp after gasp on my initial listen :jonnyknife:

I agree 100%! I never been a fan of dear John ( don't kill me please omg) just bc how long it was and because when it came out I was young and didn't relate much unfortunately. I love smallest man as it really is a hit piece and I can relate to the anger more so I guess.

• Like 3

Just now, Matchatea said:

I loved it but understand it's not going be for everyone! 

Ari wasn't the problem. That production :rip:, I would've preferred the og instrumental… 

Anyway, back on topic, yeah, i need a Taylor x Ari collab asap as well.  Someone better hack into Taylor Nation HQ and l-word that Afterglow remix, i know it's there

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TayDuaStan said:

Ari wasn't the problem. That production :rip:, I would've preferred the og instrumental… 

Anyway, back on topic, yeah, i need a Taylor x Ari collab asap as well.  Someone better hack into Taylor Nation HQ and l-word that Afterglow remix, i know it's there

Like afterglow remix is a NEED!  I know the person who had AOTGILB claimed to have it, but who knows. I wish she could release Need and the remix on a lover anniversary type album, scrapping Need is a CRIME

• Like 2

Just now, Matchatea said:

I know the person who had AOTGILB claimed to have it, but who knows.

Wait… that twitter account hiloy (i remember his name after having to listen to his tag on the AOTG snippets a ton of times) claimed he has that… No way… :deadbanana: I NEED IT NOW

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TayDuaStan said:

Wait… that twitter account hiloy (i remember his name after having to listen to his tag on the AOTG snippets a ton of times) claimed he has that… No way… :deadbanana: I NEED IT NOW

Yes him! He has a lot of Taylor unreleased songs and had some Ariana songs. He talked about how he wants to keep it vaulted…. Best believe if he sold it the song would go for 10k :jonnyknife:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Peak Now said:

I don't think Afterglow remix ever existed... the Scooter Braun of it all... :coffee2:

let us clown at least sis…

:clownny:

1 hour ago, TayDuaStan said:

That remix is AWFUL. Thank god Taylor's not on it :gaycat5:

19 minutes ago, Matchatea said:

I loved it but understand it's not going be for everyone! I need a Taylor and Ariana collab though, I am tired of how some fans pit them against each other, I feel like they are both in different lanes, Taylor bounces between different genres with her albums, whereas Ari stays primarily in pop or r&b. Taylor also has more years in the industry and makes sense the legacy status she has, while Ari is building one currently. Basically I need that damn afterglow remix or ANY remix from them both…. 

I agree 100%! I never been a fan of dear John ( don't kill me please omg) just bc how long it was and because when it came out I was young and didn't relate much unfortunately. I love smallest man as it really is a hit piece and I can relate to the anger more so I guess.

What remix are you guys going on about?

4 minutes ago, Peak Now said:

I don't think Afterglow remix ever existed... the Scooter Braun of it all... :coffee2:

It's still listed on Ascap, 5 years later. They would've cleaned it by now if it was a mistake 

AC9789-DF-EE78-4153-BDD3-10-C9-A017469-C

• Thanks 1

Is Dear God really being compared to The Smallest Dick That Ever Lived?

One is a nearly 7-minute masterpiece and one is a 4-minute song that feels like 10 minutes.

:rip:

• Like 2

Just now, TayDuaStan said:

It's still listed on Ascap, 5 years later. They would've cleaned it by now if it was a mistake 

AC9789-DF-EE78-4153-BDD3-10-C9-A017469-C

Oh you are giving me hope! I get tired explaining why I think it's real besides the person who claims to have it. Also it's not a registered remix of afterglow and some other Ariana song, it's an actual feature. Scooter should be in jail 

We also thought Need & AOTG were fake during the Taylor's Inner Circle days, and well, they turned out to be real. I need Hiloy to post a snippet of that remix just for the meltdowns :gaycat4:

Edited by TayDuaStan
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TayDuaStan said:

We also thought Need & AOTG were fake during the Taylor's Inner Circle days, and well, they turned out to be real. I need Hiloy to post a snippet of that remix just for the meltdowns :gaycat4:

The way Taylor's Dropbox is tight with security…. If it was in Tommy Brown's Dropbox we would had it by now… :deadbanana4:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Matchatea said:

The way Taylor's Dropbox is tight with security…. If it was in Tommy Brown's Dropbox we would had it by now… :deadbanana4:

Both Lover songs that l-worded: AOTGYLB & Need were produced by Louis Bell & Frank Dukes, the same ones who did the og Afterglow so if there was a breach with them… fingers crossed 

• Thanks 1

I mean, she does have plenty gut-wrenching ballads (we can discuss it weeks on end really), but there is something really devastating about Last Kiss. I guess it is because of naivety being shaken up by emotional turmoil first time in ever for real. It feels sad and lost. :heart2:

• Like 4

Arctic Monkeys sound for TS12 please :'( 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.