• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TomTom

• Vixen Eyes

• SmittenCake

• CroNich

:ahh:

• Haha 2

#14 on Yardbarker‘s Top 50 Albums Of 2023 (weird publication, but the author works at PopMatters and other music outlets):

#14: Kesha: "Gag Order"

A lot of pop stars with lasting legacies have the benefit of narrative. At times, it's a somewhat relatable narrative, like how Taylor Swift re-recording her albums to free them from a bad business arrangement. Other times, the narrative turns ugly, and that's how Kesha has transitioned from fun-loving party-pop girl to a serious artist. Her multiple court proceedings with former producer Dr. Luke prevented her from releasing music for years, and even when she did (as on 2017's stunning "Rainbow"), it was still via Luke's record label. "Gag Order", thus, arrives in a tricky place. She needs to record an album to fulfill her contract with Luke, but artists have been taken to court for releasing deliberately uncommercial music. Thus, "Gag Order", co-written and produced by Kesha and Rick Rubin, is as dark and brooding as it gets. Explicitly referencing her legal troubles and traumatic few years, it's as visceral as a pop record can get, eschewing her Top 40 keyboard fluff for arrangements that are minimal, striking, and impactful. "Eat the Acid" was a devastating lead single, but tracks like the lightly funky "The Drama" show she's still able to create fun beats with deeply introspective lyrics ("A Friday night in, I'll gеt too high and / Keep checkin' my pulse, am I dead yеt? / All I need is anything / To distract me from this empty feeling"). It didn't fare well on the charts, but it may very well go down as one of the decade's most bracing and compelling pop music documents. Once she's free from Luke's label, we can only imagine what she'll be capable of. 

https://www.yardbarker.com/entertainment/articles/the_50_best_albums_of_2023/s1__39624312#slide_37

• Like 4

Went to drop off a few packages at a friends house (they're Muslim) 

I walk inside and they're blasting Kesha and Demi. Living room reeked of pot and drugs i - 

worried-club-girl.gif

now's the perfect time to diversify her fan demographic 

d6MFU84.gif

• Haha 3

Singing oh, ALLAH raised me well
But I don't wanna go to Jannah without raising Jahannam

oprah-dance.gif

• Haha 4

rip to the album thread. :chick3:

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Vixen Eyes said:

rip to the album thread. :chick3:

idky i prefer the album thread but this is kewl too

INP2sbW.jpg

• Haha 2

Included in A&E Desk's Top 10 Albums of 2023:

“Gag Order” — Kesha :

Ethan Lambert: Likely the most overlooked album of the year is Kesha’s experimental opus “Gag Order.” Your average music listener may not know she released a new album this year, which is a shame as this is one of the most ambitious albums of the year and Kesha’s most inventive yet. With esteemed producer Rick Rubin as a collaborator on the record, Kesha’s fifth studio album is sonically cohesive and deeply emotional as she continues to flesh out her impeccable talents as a singer and a songwriter.

“Eat the Acid” is haunting and cathartic, and probably the best song she has ever made. The track’s ominous, uncanny organ chords sound like nothing else in contemporary music, they pack such an emotional punch that you can feel all of Kesha’s pain and introspection from the first few seconds of the song. Likewise, Kesha’s vulnerable vocal performance at the track’s beginning is just as impactful. As the song hits its climax a few minutes in, the track becomes transcendental as a heavenly mellotron chord progression comes in, which is later paired with Kesha’s vocals, which are methodically modified with a vocoder — it is a perfect culmination of all the emotion displayed on the track, it is quite literally musical production at its very best.

Over a decade after her commercial peak, the risks Kesha is taking are panning out perfectly. As she continues to break new ground musically, she has proved to be one of the greatest talents of her generation.

https://mndaily.com/280920/arts-entertainment/aes-top-10-albums-of-2023/

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Alaska. said:

I guess GO will be on more year end lists than Rainbow

It sadly won't. Rainbow was on 13 lists while Gag Order has 2 (that are actually relevant). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bearman said:

It sadly won't. Rainbow was on 13 lists while Gag Order has 2 (that are actually relevant). 

Yeah, it's not comparable, but still very decent recognition for Gag Order considering the era went completely under the radar. Much better than I expected, especially if you take the low number of MC-counting reviews into account when the album got released.

This comment is :clap3:.

Over a decade after her commercial peak, the risks Kesha is taking are panning out perfectly. As she continues to break new ground musically, she has proved to be one of the greatest talents of her generation.

Edited by TomTom
  • Like 4

honestly, im happier with this outcome for Gag Order than if she had reached taylor level recognition :sistrens:

• Like 2

#16 on Slant's 50 Best Albums of 2023:

16. Kesha, Gag Order

Gag Order is, in form and content, a total rebuke of the party-girl image that Kesha presented on albums like Cannibal, and yet it’s somehow even freakier. Its disarming opening tracks, the menacing yet briefly celestial “Something to Believe In” and the dark-wave minimalist “Eat the Acid,” wouldn’t feel out of place on, say, an Anna Meredith album. Save for the vintage soul-sampling “Only Love Can Save Us Now” and the gaudy, Auto-Tune-steeped “Peace & Quiet,” the majority of the material here is more art-pop than anything Kesha has released to date. The album manages to articulate a working thesis for Kesha’s artistry that exists independently from the apparatus of purely commercial exhibitionism. Attard

https://www.slantmagazine.com/lists/the-50-best-albums-of-2023/

• Like 4

8 hours ago, bearman said:

Wait, really? I had this feeling that Rainbow was barely mentioned on year end lists (maybe I'm mixing it up with Declining Road :skull:)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Alaska. said:

Wait, really? I had this feeling that Rainbow was barely mentioned on year end lists (maybe I'm mixing it up with Declining Road :skull:)

He's right, Rainbow did very well. High Road was N/A anywhere.

Accolades[edit]

Rainbow appeared on several publications' year-end lists for 2017, as well as decade-end lists.

Select rankings of Rainbow on year-end lists

Publication List Rank Ref. Idolator The Best Pop Albums & EPs Of 2017
PopSugar The Best Albums of 2017, According to Us
Rolling Stone 20 Best Pop Albums of 2017
Cosmopolitan The 10 Best Albums of 2017
AXS 10 Best Pop Albums of 2017
People 10 Best Albums of 2017
Rolling Stone 50 Best Albums of 2017
Time The Top 10 Albums of 2017
NPR The 50 Best Albums of 2017
Yahoo! Music The Best Albums of 2017: Yahoo Entertainment Staff Picks

Decade-end lists

Publication List Rank Ref. Billboard The 100 Greatest Albums of the 2010s: Staff Picks
Rolling Stone The 100 Best Albums of the 2010s
Edited by TomTom
  • Like 1

oh they HATED Animal :deadbanana:

https://www.slantmagazine.com/music/kesha-animal/

oh this took me tf OUT :deadbanana:

https://www.slantmagazine.com/music/kesha-cannibal/

Putting a dollar sign in your name is a great way to guarantee that you’ll probably never be taken seriously, but everyone knows that the girl who does the most body shots at the party is usually the one crying the hardest the next morning. “I have a heart, I swear I do,” Ke$ha rap-sings on “Cannibal,” a song about a guy who’s “up [her] anus,” but based on most of the singles from her debut, you’d never know she had a brain, let alone a circulatory system.

One of the non-singles with “heart” is the title track from Animal, which is reprised here as “Animal (Billboard Remix)”—no, not a reference to Ke$ha’s dominance on the Hot 100 this year, but the name of the producer. In both its original and remixed form, the final song on both the LP and the EP is the promise of something deeper, something beyond Dr. Luke’s latest recycled formula. So if Katy Perry is the girl who leaves you with a peck on the cheek at the end of the night, Ke$ha at least gives you a happy ending.

Edited by Vixen Eyes

20 minutes ago, Vixen Eyes said:

So if Katy Perry is the girl who leaves you with a peck on the cheek at the end of the night, Ke$ha at least gives you a happy ending.

:bibliahh:

But that's why we love her. 2010s party queen :heart2:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.