Katy Perry

WalkingOnCharts

If she's not gonna drop new music, she should promote tf out of CLC (even if it was released years ago :rip:). It's a future Christmas classic just waiting to happen and even though Christmas music is played out it's so on brand for Katy

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thismoment

• Tistotal

• justlore

• XxxKatyCatxxX

56 minutes ago, Tistotal said:

So what’s the difference between hers and Taylor’s situation?

Would like her not to behave like Taylor and to be just flattered, encouraging Olivia...

Would be cute if some of her non-single songs became viral and popular. Prism has a bunch of options (Ghost, Love me, WOA), OOTB (OOTB, Use your love, ballads), TD (still don't know how Dressing up hasn't blown yet) 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, hummingbird12 said:

Would like her not to behave like Taylor and to be just flattered, encouraging Olivia...

Would be cute if some of her non-single songs became viral and popular. Prism has a bunch of options (Ghost, Love me, WOA), OOTB (OOTB, Use your love, ballads), TD (still don't know how Dressing up hasn't blown yet) 

Oh, yes, totally I agree

I meant behind the catalog and master sell 

2 hours ago, Tistotal said:

yeah we need one of the smart kats to explain what selling your publishing rights means what’s the difference between that and masters 

48 minutes ago, thismoment said:

yeah we need one of the smart kats to explain what selling your publishing rights means what’s the difference between that and masters 

Where’s @katykater when we need him

The masters are not included in the 225 million dollar deal.

According to sources, Litmus paid $225 million for Perry’s stake in the master recording royalties and music publishing rights to her five albums released between 2008 and 2020 — One of the Boys, Teenage Dream, PRISM, Witness and Smile.

https://www.billboard.com/pro/katy-perry-sells-catalog-litmus/

It's just for Katy's stake in the master recording royalties and music publishing rights.

To understand the scale of things. Back when 15 to 20 dollar/euro CD albums were the norm, an artist could get 50 cent to 1 dollar/euro per album sold. They are buying Katy's right to receive a dollar per album sold and the Spotify payout after the label has grabbed the majority of the coins.

Most of the value is in her publishing rights. Getting paid when someone else is strumming her melodies, lyrics,... on a guitar and when her music is played in a shop, on the radio/TV, used in commercials, movies, TV series,...

I wonder at how many years of Katy's music earnings they have valued it.

• The Market Multiple Approach: This approach is based on comparisons of ratios of prices over income measures within the industry, developing a specific range of market multiples that can be applied to the expected income of a music catalogue throughout the years. This method calculates multiples over measures of performance ( average historical NPS -Net Publisher’s Share – revenues or income), and compares them with the industry’s averages, based on recent and comparable transactions, hence yielding an implicit relative market value. It is usually more accurate for catalogues with more classic, evergreen hits that have been played and consumed over a period of more than 10-15 years.

The NPS metric is calculated based on the amount of royalties received by a music publisher minus the amount of the royalties that has to be paid to writers, authors and performers for their contributions and other admin fees that need to be deducted. In the last few years, most transactions were closed with an average multiple of 5x to 15x NPS. Evergreen catalogues usually trade between 10x to 15x the NPS, while more fresh and less well-known catalogues trade between 5x and 10x NPS. Multiples can range lower in the case of non-exclusivity rights, or higher in the case of competitive biddings. Once the multiple is set, it is applied to the representative earnings power to arrive at the implied market value for the music catalogue.

https://blog.anotemusic.com/3-common-ways-to-valuate-a-music-catalogue-what-determines-the-value

• If the valuation is 10x, it means 22.5 million dollar yearly music earnings.
  • If the valuation is 15x, it means 15 million dollar yearly music earnings.
  • If the valuation is 20x, it means 11.25 million dollar yearly music earnings.
  • If the valuation is 30x, it means 7.5 million dollar yearly music earnings.

I have sold dividend stock when the share price was close to 30 years of dividend. If I have to choose between waiting 30 years for the coins to drip or can cash it out now, I sold.

• Thanks 6

I had a feeling she was gonna do this when she allowed Lego to use Firework for that random ass ad last year. One last big royalty cheque before selling lmao

katy-perry.gif

Edited by Valentine

3 hours ago, Tistotal said:

It is very different situation. Big Machine owned Taylor’s masters as Capitol owns Katy’s masters.

Big Machine sold Taylor’s masters but Taylor retained her publishing rights (that’s why she is able to re-recording) and her stake in the original masters, usually called as recording rights (15-20% of masters revenues always go to the artist). 

In this case Katy doesn’t own the masters so what she is selling is the publishing rights of the songs (and I guess songwriting rights too) and her 15-20% stake in the masters revenue. That’s basically mean she will not get more money from her music before 2020

She's pumped the crazy capitalism of the US for a massive beg and I bet she'll now relocate to the UK where Daisy will have a settled, secured life.

She's so smart right @katykater

If you think about it she now has at least a $225M budget for next era. 

Time no manipulate the charts and send cheques to Spotify headquarters 

spacer.png

• Like 1

Im surprised she wanted  to give up Teenaged Dream and Prism Royalties like Justin Bieber did with his music. He had a huge era with Justice to give him lots of money too. I hope she can have another hit era with hit collabs as well to give her recurring money to be secure of unless she's certain that 225m will last her.

7 minutes ago, thismoment said:

thank you litmus :jonnycat:

they are already looking for a film/commercial to put it in :duca:

HIH is going viral on tiktok again with people being surprised she’s the singer :rip:

1 hour ago, Take Me Apart said:

HIH is going viral on tiktok again with people being surprised she’s the singer :rip:

So for 3 years in a row, the song has been going viral, something that apparently all record labels are trying hard to achieve, but Capitol is doing nothing to push it on the radio and playlists?  

Like, wouldn't a cute top 20 radio hit with a 4 year old song be a good thing and buy them some time for a comeback with a new album in spring/summer 2024? Like, she is still the biggest and the most commercially successful artist they have (lewis Capaldi and sam smith are not bringing as many coins as she even in her flop era)

Edited by hummingbird12

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.