I Finally Came Out Gay at 27 Years Old and Everyone Accepted Me

HANZ94

I finally did with my entire family at 27 years old 

I am mexican, I live in a northern state and my family still lives in a very small city, meanwhile I live in the capital of the state which has like 1 million people

I've been wanting to do it for a long time but this month something really pushed me to finally do it.

I had an injury in my foot so I Couldnt walk for a month (january) so All I could do is watch movies and tv while staying at my parents house

I watched the movie brokeback mountain for the first time in my life and man it really hit me hard, no other movie made me feel like this and impacted my way of viewing life:chick3:, I could not waste another day in the closet so I finally told my family. 

I was soooo depressed in january, like never before, crying all day thinking about that movie and how my life could end the same way, I was always at my room with the door closed and crying non stop, I HAD to come out NOW

I asked my mom to take me to the store but once we were getting there I asked to stop and park the car.

then I simply told her, she was shocked, she even said she thought I was the son with the least chances of being gay, she just never expected it, she cried, I cried but she told me that she loved me no matter what and nothing would change.:alexz3:

that was on sunday and I actually had to leave that day to come back to my place but before doing that I told my older brother and he was also very accepting, he said he saw it coming tho, he said he always knew but never wanted to push me to come out, he said "that's something you should do when you feel ready" I also cried with him and told him how it hurt to be hiding all these years, he gave me a hug and told me that everything was gonna be OK.:chick3:

I couldnt tell my father tho, he has always been kind of homophobic and made hurtful jokes in the past, he is the reason I stayed in the closet all this years, I was SCARED of him but I also loved him cause he has always been a great father, I asked my mother and my older brother if they could tell him I was gay while I was leaving the city.:frown:

Once I got to my apartment my mother called me and said the most shocking words I've ever heard in my life "We told your father about you, he is shocked but says he still loves you and nothing would change, family will always be first, it doesnt matter what others say, he loves you and said it's a shame you are not home cause he wanted to give you a hug" I never expected this to happen, it felt like a dream.:bloo::sosad:

the next day they all told my younger brother and sister and as expected they accepted me as well (they have always been very open minded) and even sent me a message telling how I was still the most unique and favorite brother for them.:alexz3:

I am SHOCKED, all my life I prepared myself for the worst only to end up being the opposite, now I regret not coming out A LOT sooner:gaycat6:, I should have known my family would love me no matter what, I feel so blessed right now, I'm still crying tho, it's just A LOT of emotions coming all together, happines, regret, relief, anger, all of that at once:jonny5:

now it feels weird tho to be this vulnerable and exposed cause people finally know who I really am:rainbow:

it's been exactly 2 week since I've been out of the closet and life really feels different now, I'm so thankful to god for giving me this wonderful family:alexz:

1 week later after coming out I finally talked to my father and he said the most wonderful things to me

I swear he gave me a speech/moment similar to that scene in Call Me By Your Name when the father talks to Elio and how he knows it and he accepts it and even encourages him to live his life to the fullest.:chick3:

My father Also said that if I ever have a lover/boyfriend I am so welcome to bring him home and meet my family, I never in a million years expected him to say that:sosad::bloo:

I'm so happy right now and blessed for having this family

Og1v.gif

btw I made an Insta post, yall can meet me and my family :alexz3:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CZfrufUpDYJ/

Edited by HANZ94

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HANZ94

• Roberto

• Mark!

• americanlife

Felicidades, me alegra que todo haya salido bien :clap3:

Not you being my neighbor 

Congrats! :heart2:

none of these words are in the bible ?

just kidding. happy for you King, we miss you ❤️

Edited by zezar

• ATRL Moderator

Felicidades rey @HANZ94, me alegra leer esto :heart:

we’re happy for you :heart:

Congratulations :heart:

I’m happy for you :hug:you have a great family too, i’m a bit jelly tbh.

How wonderful! So happy for you. Congratulations! :heart:

So happy for you!

There's no point having regrets about coming out sooner. It's something that can't be changed. Plus now that you're 27, you live away from home, you (presumably?) have a job and your life together, I'm sure that all contributed to your family's acceptance. They know they have nothing to worry about. :heart:You're a great son and have made them proud regardless. 

Edited by BTS

Congratulations! Coming out and self-acceptance is a very difficult journey, and I'm so proud of you for doing it on your terms and when you felt ready. :heart2:

Edited by Sometimes

Felicidades, cariño. Nada mejor que ser aceptado tal como eres y que eso te dé paz y tranquilidad. :party:

Congrats, I know you must be relieved :heart:

¡Me siento sumamente feliz por ti!

Así debería ser siempre. Te envío un enorme abrazo, querido. :hug:

Yass *****

Sending u love and Congrats!

It's great to hear that u are gonna be living like your own self, free!!

Awwww congratulations! I love hearing successful coming out stories like this. Your family sounds so loving and you're very lucky to have their support. I'm very happy for you! :heart:

thank you all for your kind words

yes I'm so happy and lucky

jamas habia sido mas feliz en mi vida :chick3:

Edited by HANZ94

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.