MARK RIH's best of 2021

Mark Rih

blog-header-best-of-2021.jpg

Hello everyone!

As you can tell from the banner, I literally have zero time for my year end list this time around lol. At the same time I didn't want to miss it completely and I was free this afternoon so I decided to just drop my year lists on the first post :eli: let's be honest, 2021 wasn't a great year in music, especially after 2020 which was one of my personal favorites ever; however we still got some nice tunes to celebrate. Another consequence about me not having time (fuck uni, work and becoming an adult) is that this year I also listened less music compared to previous ones, so my list eneded up being the most generic it has ever been, but I hope you can find some new songs to enjoy (I will leave a comment for the less popular tracks). The list is mainly based on # of plays, but I had to make some adjustments based on longevity/overplaying.

Obviously I will try to make a visit to your year end coutndowns during the next days!

Last but not least, I wish you all safe holidays :hug:

So here's my best of 2021...

50 - 41 SONGS:

Spoiler

41. Riton & NightCrawlers – Friday: club anthem of the year

42. Cannons – Bad Dream: a chill synthwave'd bop + alternative hit, get into it (yuh)

43. Raye – Regardless: deserved to smash

44. Seb – Seaside Demo: deserved to actually smash and not remain only a tiktok song

45. Ava Max – My Head & My Heart: hated it at first but ended up loving it

46. ATB, Topic & A7S – Your Love (9PM): basic eurobop

47. Post Malone & The Weeknd – One Right Now: we definitely deserved better from this collab but still a bop

48. Maroon 5 & Megan Thee Stallion  – Beautiful Mistakes:  guitly pleasure

49. Disciples – Solid Gold (feat. bshp): nice chill house bop

50. Billie Eilish – Your Power: cute

40 - 31 SONGS:

Spoiler

31. Conan Gray – Telepath: really love his synthpop songs and this is his best one so far

32. Kacey Musgraves – Justified: such a cute and sad song, chorus is super catchy

33. Roosevelt – Close To My Heart: amazing retro synthpop'd song like his whole album

34. Bebe Rexha – Sacrifice: Chromatica done RIGHT

35. Mabel – Let Them Know: loved this for about 2 weeks and then left it in the dust
36. SG Lewis & Lastlings – All We Have: amazing progressive house track, a listening experience for sure

37. Kungs – Never Going Home: french house SUPERMACY! love my country for making this a hit

38. Bad Bunny – Yonaguni: eh he has done better but this was still a nice summer song

39. Daya – The Difference: lovely generic bop, great melody

40. Drake – IMY2 (feat. Kid Kudi): as usual his mellow stuff > his rap stuff

30 - 21 SONGS:

Spoiler

21. Drake – N 2 Deep (feat. Future): easily my fave from CLB, the transition, the beat >>>>>>

22. Rauw Alejandro – Todo De Ti: the latin DSN me thinks

23. Joel Corry, Raye & David Guetta – BED: generic UK house perfection

24. Swedish House Mafia & The Weeknd – Moth To A Flame: love how it sounds like classic SHM without sounding dated

25. Olivia Rodrigo – Jealousy Jealousy: I love all her pop rock stuff; I liked her commentary on social media here

26. Doja Cat – Get Into It (Yuh): the BOP. Knew from first listen that this was a tiktok smash

27. Kacey Musgraves – Simple Times: I hate how this song is so relatable. Growing up sucks I fear

28. Majid Jordan – Stars Align (with Drake): once again mellow pop Drake >>>>>>>>>

29. Mitski – The Only Heartbreaker: the alternative Blinding Lights

30. Dua Lipa – If It Ain’t Me: this would've been higher if it didn't leak last year

20 - 11 SONGS:

Spoiler

11. SG Lewis & Nile Rodgers – One More: amazing disco funky bop. Love how it perfectly describes a night at the club

12. Doja Cat – You’re Right (feat. The Weeknd): robbed of top

13. Justin Bieber – Peaches: he did that with this BOP, and the features were great

14. The Veronicas – Stealing Cars: if you're a basic synthpop stan like me listen to this, trust me

15. Olivia Rodrigo – good 4 u: she did that with this one yes she did

16. Marshmello & Jonas Brothers – Leave Before You Love Me: love this Last Christmas+Instant Crush mashup!

17. Silk Sonic – Leave The Door Open: instant classic

18. Kanye West – Hurricane: easily the best on DONDA even if i liked most of the album

19. Jessie Ware – Hot N Heavy: sultry disco BOP

20. Dua Lipa – We’re Good: this was too experimental for the GP I fear

TOP 10 SONGS:

Spoiler

1. SZA – Good Days

2. The Weeknd – Take My Breath

3. Regard, Troye Sivan & Tate McRae – You (the synthline in this >>>>>>>>>)

4. Doja Cat – Kiss Me More (feat. SZA)

5. The Weeknd & Ariana Grande – SYT

6. Elton John & Dua Lipa – Cold Heart

7. Kali Uchis – Telepatia

8. The Kid Laroi – STAY (with Justin Bieber)

9. Doja Cat – Need To Know

10. Lil Nas X & Jack Harlow – INDUSTRY BABY

no comments here because I'm tired and y'all know these masterpieces x

ALBUMS:

Spoiler

In no order:

Planet Her

Certified Lover Boy

DONDA

Polydans (Roosevelt)

Times (SG Lewis)

Justice and SOUR had some albums tracks I liked but never used them as a whole. Used Poster Girl for like 2 weeks

Didn't care about any other album in particular

FN and AH were my most played albums this year again anyway hihi

#20 best song ever, list amazing now thanks to its inclusion 

Not a one drop Best Of :deadbanana4:

Let’s see here

47. Post Malone & The Weeknd – One Right Now:

48. Maroon 5 & Megan Thee Stallion  – Beautiful Mistakes:  

• Generic pop done RIGHT!

Bebe Rexha – Sacrifice :clap:

22. Rauw Alejandro – Todo De Ti

Finally some love for this :jonny:

23. Joel Corry, Raye & David Guetta – BED

26. Doja Cat – Get Into It (Yuh):

28. Majid Jordan – Stars Align (with Drake):

30. Dua Lipa – If It Ain’t Me:

• TALENT

13. Justin Bieber – Peaches: 

16. Marshmello & Jonas Brothers – Leave Before You Love Me:

18. Kanye West – Hurricane: 

• These are also so high on my list :jonny:

1. SZA – Good Days

• These may or may not  be in my Top 10 as well :santa:

In terms of albums, I only liked Planet Her & Justice from the ones you mentioned. But SOUR had a few moments.

Overall, your taste came through for an overall underwhelming year musically :sherlock:

Beautiful Mistakes is... tolerable :keir: Telepath and justified :smile: Your Power + We're Good are growers for sure! Regardless, The Difference, Moth to a Flame, Simple Times, Leave the Door Open, Hurricane, Hot N Heavy :jamming::jamming: If It Ain't Me :sats: You + double Weeknd in the top 5 :clap3: Plenty of nice selections here. Kiii @ FN and AH being your top 2 most played releases this year, yeah albums weren't necessarily the strongest.

Not you dropping after all, you know which ones I love anyway, but this is a great list bestie, especially the higher it goes :fan: Love that you stan SG Lewis production too, he is such a king.

Scrap We're Good tho x

Cold Heart + good 4 u + Leave The Door Open + Leave Before You Love Me + justified + Bad Dream + Your Power + Beautiful Mistakes + seaside_demo :angelo:

43. Raye – Regardless

45. Ava Max – My Head & My Heart

48. Maroon 5 & Megan Thee Stallion  – Beautiful Mistake

31. Conan Gray – Telepath
34. Bebe Rexha – Sacrifice
36. SG Lewis & Lastlings – All We Have
35. Mabel – Let Them Know
23. Joel Corry, Raye & David Guetta – BED
26. Doja Cat – Get Into It (Yuh)
11. SG Lewis & Nile Rodgers – One More:
12. Doja Cat – You’re Right (feat. The Weeknd
13. Justin Bieber – Peaches
15. Olivia Rodrigo – good 4 u
16. Marshmello & Jonas Brothers – Leave Before You Love Me
17. Silk Sonic – Leave The Door Open
19. Jessie Ware – Hot N Heavy
2. The Weeknd – Take My Breath
3. Regard, Troye Sivan & Tate McRae – You 
5. The Weeknd & Ariana Grande – SYT
7. Kali Uchis – Telepatia
8. The Kid Laroi – STAY (with Justin Bieber)
10. Lil Nas X & Jack Harlow – INDUSTRY BABY

Taste 

slay

Stan SG Lewis i only got into his album recently and got immediately attached to it

Regardless :clap3: 

Sacrifice and Let Them Know are such an underrated bops :jonny5: 

Jealosy Jealousy is my favorite from SOUR :clap3: 

Justified > Simple Times :eli:

another BO with We're Good praise :jonny5: I LOVE TO SEE THAT

Good Days #1 :jonny5: TASTE!!!

On 12/16/2021 at 12:42 PM, Mark Rih said:

2021 wasn't a great year in music, especially after 2020 which was one of my personal favorites ever

I agree that 2020 was better. Some late discoveries made this year a tad bit better.

On 12/16/2021 at 12:42 PM, Mark Rih said:

Polydans (Roosevelt)

Nice album. :biggrin:

Loved to see Let GOD Know

The Take My Breath SNEAK as we wouldn't notice

Billie being left dust with one entry dead last :fonso:

dangerousalex

I had so much fun with your list last year! Shame you don't have much time but I think that's the case with most of us given most of us aren't locked inside like last year nnn.

AMAZING Roosevelt pick, so glad to even see him included on someone else's list. AND IT BEING ONE OF YOUR FAVE ALBUMS I STAAAAAN.

Your list has a lot of songs that either place similarly on my list or I also considered on mine. Not shocking based on history lmao

I didn't include your #1 because it dropped in 2020 but it's immaculate & probably would've been my #1 too. My #1 is in your Top 5 though :eli: 

Riton & NightCrawlers – Friday: club anthem of the year

Raye – Regardless: deserved to smash

Ava Max – My Head & My Heart: hated it at first but ended up loving it

ATB, Topic & A7S – Your Love (9PM): basic eurobop

Kacey Musgraves – Justified: such a cute and sad song, chorus is super catchy

Bebe Rexha – Sacrifice: Chromatica done RIGHT
SG Lewis & Lastlings – All We Have: amazing progressive house track, a listening experience for sure

Bad Bunny – Yonaguni: eh he has done better but this was still a nice summer song

Rauw Alejandro – Todo De Ti: the latin DSN me thinks

Joel Corry, Raye & David Guetta – BED: generic UK house perfection

Swedish House Mafia & The Weeknd – Moth To A Flame: love how it sounds like classic SHM without sounding dated

Olivia Rodrigo – Jealousy Jealousy: I love all her pop rock stuff; I liked her commentary on social media here

Doja Cat – Get Into It (Yuh): the BOP. Knew from first listen that this was a tiktok smash

Kacey Musgraves – Simple Times: I hate how this song is so relatable. Growing up sucks I fear

Mitski – The Only Heartbreaker: the alternative Blinding Lights

Dua Lipa – If It Ain’t Me: this would've been higher if it didn't leak last year

SG Lewis & Nile Rodgers – One More: amazing disco funky bop. Love how it perfectly describes a night at the club

Doja Cat – You’re Right (feat. The Weeknd): robbed of top

Olivia Rodrigo – good 4 u: she did that with this one yes she did

Silk Sonic – Leave The Door Open: instant classic

Kanye West – Hurricane: easily the best on DONDA even if i liked most of the album

Jessie Ware – Hot N Heavy: sultry disco BOP

SZA – Good Days

The Weeknd – Take My Breath

Doja Cat – Kiss Me More (feat. SZA)

The Weeknd & Ariana Grande – SYT

Elton John & Dua Lipa – Cold Heart

Kali Uchis – Telepatia

Lil Nas X & Jack Harlow – INDUSTRY BABY

All of these massive bops holy shit :jonny5:Truly the songs that shape my 2021 lmao

Planet Her is her Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded naur it's true it's true :clap3: The album blending pop and hip-hop well, but not as good as her previous albums though oop

Times & DONDA :clap3: At first the albums didn't clicked with me but they're grower for sure

On 12/17/2021 at 12:42 AM, Mark Rih said:

FN and AH were my most played albums this year again anyway hihi

I'm surprised :clap3: Can't wait to becoming the most played albums again in 2022

Not a dump :deadvision: But great song choices all around (Good Days is a lovely #1 :clap3:)

Wish you got to listen to more albums but hopefully other people's best of's can spark some interest for you!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.