Diversity 4: The Re-Up | Winner revealed (pg.132)

thecptz

Mariah Carey: Hidden Gems - playlist by Mariah Carey | Spotify

OVERPROTECTED'S CRITIQUES

Spoiler

Aaliyah - Messed Up - This had a very interesting production but I feel like despite its weirdness the song came and went and left no big impression on me, it was just there.

Charli XCX - detonate - Not a big fan of the vocal effects at all but I liked the beat, very cute and ethereal. 

Miley Cyrus - The Driveway - Um it’s alright, I feel like there were better choices somewhere in her discography, Liberty Walk robbed perhaps. 

Red Velvet - So Good - It’s alright, the production is the most interesting part but I fear this is kinda forgettable overall. 

Shakira - Men in This Town - You know what, maybe Shakira has the tea, maybe Shakira knew what she was doing when she decided to ignore this song’s existence and never perform it, maybe. Actually, forget about maybe, this song is beyond awful.

Shania Twain - I'm Not in the Mood (To Say No)! - It’s a cute song but it doesn’t feel very memorable and the chorus isn’t really hitting, so with that being said I don’t know if this should really be called a gem :zach: 

Sufjan Stevens - Casimir Pulaski Day - Beautiful song, the storytelling...  There were times where I had to stop writing critiques because the lyrics were so deep they would leave me in tears. 

Taylor Swift - Holy Ground - Such a cute bop, I stan. 

Tinashe - Wanderer - Very nice!

Whitney Houston - A Song for You - I thought this would be very corny as soon as it started and I was right, that beat sounds so cheap and generic but I somehow enjoyed it? It’s camp perhaps…

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thecptz

• Tom Vercetti

• Dessy

• Kavish

Top Posters In This Topic

• ATRL Moderator

thank you overprotestie!

Fcq76Gl.png

CRITIQUES

ROUND 9

Spoiler
10 hours ago, Staryu said:

gcLkmMx.png

Guess I'm doing my crits first again :deadbanana2: I didn't really love many of these songs, gems they were not. 

Aaliyah - Messed Up
I'm a big Aaliyah fan and have never heard of this. It's kind of a bop, kind of rough production, it's interesting. :intoit:

Charli XCX - detonate
I love the fast beat on this song, it's one of my most played from the album. :turkey: 

Miley Cyrus - The Driveway
Miley sounds good, the production is cute, the lyrics were uh something. :celestial2:

Red Velvet - So Good
It's cute, idk what else to say about it. I liked it.  :celestial:

Shakira - Men in This Town
Matt Damon is not meant for me either, thankfully. This song has uh very interesting/terrible lyrics, it's kind of a bop tho. :celestial6:

Shania Twain - I'm Not in the Mood (To Say No)!
I'm not in the mood to critique songs, this is a cute country bop though. :giraffe:

Sufjan Stevens - Casimir Pulaski Day
I like the chill guitar vibez and that it's a storytelling song, it's pleasant, a little long. :giraffe:

Taylor Swift - Holy Ground
I love this song, should have been a single, kinda like it more than ATW :thing: the 5 min version anyway. :celestial3:

Tinashe - Wanderer
I feel like this fit the theme the best for me this round, an actual hidden gem, I've never heard this and I enjoyed it.  :giraffe:

Whitney Houston - A Song for You
I love the switch up into a bop, kind of flatlines for me the longer it goes on, but I don't hate it. :celestial6:

10 hours ago, Kavish said:

572585f7c483be39e7462f3d73d3d522.jpg

Kavish ⛧ Kritiques 

~

@Element - Aaliyah - Messed Up

This reminds me of "What If" because of how left-field it sounds compared to her usual stuff. I guess she was in an experimental phase and the label placed them as last/hidden tracks. The clunky instrumental paired with her smooth vocals is a nice contrast, and I like the subtle ominous feel to it. It could have been a cute acclaimed classic with a proper release.

@clue - Charli XCX – detonate

I like the vulnerability and the beat of 2:51 onwards, but it isn't that much of a departure from the other Charli XCX songs from that era, so I'm not sure why it's underrated compared to the others. An explanation would have helped me understand your choice better.

@boys - Miley Cyrus - The Driveway

The sound was not totally foreign for Miley back then considering her rock-leaning tracks, but "The Driveway" has a more mature sound to it, so I can imagine it being an underrated yet standout track on the album. Nice melody and production that deserve a place in a Miley playlist.

@mokitsu - Red Velvet - So Good

On the surface it sounds like the previous chill songs that you have sent, but the modernistic production elevates it and sets it apart. It does sound 'so good' and catchy, so there is no doubt that it is a hidden gem that was done wrong by not being a single.

@Opulent - Shakira - Men in This Town

The vocal delivery on the chorus takes some time to get used to, but it's overall a fun and entertaining track. The "I'm so fresh and I'm so clean" parts and the "suicide waiting" outro truly enhance the song with the vocal acrobatics. She has never released a single like this, so I get why it would be considered a hidden gem. It has a fan-favourite feel to it.

@Auburn - Shania Twain - I'm Not in the Mood (To Say No)!

Harmless country tune and I like the little solo after the chorus, but I'm not sure how this particular track is underrated considering that it's not that different from the other songs from Up!, so I think a write-up would have helped. I also feel like a ballad would have been a better hidden gem for Shania because her best upbeat tracks are usually singles.

@Noah - Sufjan Stevens - Casimir Pulaski Day

I really like the song, and the way he connects such a personal story with a state holiday is a lyrical gem. However, it's sonically not that far apart from the other songs from 'Illinois' so I'm not sure what makes it more underrated than the other tracks in that aspect. I wish that you could write an explanation to help me understand your choice.

@Rence - Taylor Swift - Holy Ground

Taylor has never released a song like this, nor has another song of hers sounded like this, so it's understandable why it would be a hidden gem or underrated compared to other 'Red' tracks. I like how she manages to tell a story through the fast-paced instrumentation.

@Tom Vercetti - Tinashe – Wanderer

Most good songs from mixtapes usually fly under the radar, so that was a smart decision. The production on this is amazing and sounds so fresh, sounds like one of her studio album's cut. Definitely a song that I can find myself going back to. It is entrancing and has a dreamy vibe to it.

@PinkBox - Whitney Houston - A Song for You

I like the piano in the beginning and how it gloriously transitions into a disco-light song. The production and vocal delivery are so different and grand from what we are used to from Whitney, especially in 2009, so it is a great fit for this round. It would have made some noise as a single, so the fact that it was left as an album track does make it underrated and a hidden gem.

~

640c0c5aff5ceaa537726152fdaa919c.jpg

52 minutes ago, Dessy said:

YRVcvib.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

Aaliyah - Messed Up
I definitely forgot this song existed. This production is very interesting, especially hearing it with headphones. A good find that isn't boring at all. 

Charli XCX - detonate
Not this not this……….. this beat drives me nuts i hate it ???
I'm trying to be nice but omg ?

Wait that outro tho 

Miley Cyrus - The Driveway
Honestly it feels like it would be a good throwback if it was pushed. The production is okay but the song is decent. 

Red Velvet - So Good
So good indeed! 

Shakira - Men in This Town
This is… cute. Very curious lyrics/theme. The outro is sending me a bit. 

Shania Twain - I'm Not in the Mood (To Say No)!
I'm in the mood to say no to this song. Jk it's alright, it just doesnt wow me or anything. 

Sufjan Stevens - Casimir Pulaski Day
This is quite nice, very chill. 

Taylor Swift - Holy Ground
It's okay? I'm not really like moved or anything by this song.

Tinashe - Wanderer
This was your round to unleash the mixtapes and you definitely didn't disappoint. 

Whitney Houston - A Song for You
I like the vocals on this. Feels like something you could see pushed on the radio. An alright sing. 

@Element @clue @boys @mokitsu @Opulent @Auburn @Noah @Rence @Tom Vercetti @PinkBox

14 minutes ago, Overprotected said:

Mariah Carey: Hidden Gems - playlist by Mariah Carey | Spotify

OVERPROTECTED'S CRITIQUES

Reveal hidden contents

Aaliyah - Messed Up - This had a very interesting production but I feel like despite its weirdness the song came and went and left no big impression on me, it was just there.

Charli XCX - detonate - Not a big fan of the vocal effects at all but I liked the beat, very cute and ethereal. 

Miley Cyrus - The Driveway - Um it’s alright, I feel like there were better choices somewhere in her discography, Liberty Walk robbed perhaps. 

Red Velvet - So Good - It’s alright, the production is the most interesting part but I fear this is kinda forgettable overall. 

Shakira - Men in This Town - You know what, maybe Shakira has the tea, maybe Shakira knew what she was doing when she decided to ignore this song’s existence and never perform it, maybe. Actually, forget about maybe, this song is beyond awful.

Shania Twain - I'm Not in the Mood (To Say No)! - It’s a cute song but it doesn’t feel very memorable and the chorus isn’t really hitting, so with that being said I don’t know if this should really be called a gem :zach: 

Sufjan Stevens - Casimir Pulaski Day - Beautiful song, the storytelling...  There were times where I had to stop writing critiques because the lyrics were so deep they would leave me in tears. 

Taylor Swift - Holy Ground - Such a cute bop, I stan. 

Tinashe - Wanderer - Very nice!

Whitney Houston - A Song for You - I thought this would be very corny as soon as it started and I was right, that beat sounds so cheap and generic but I somehow enjoyed it? It’s camp perhaps…

happy thanksgiving to those who celebrate

stream tinashe some more, she desperately needs support in her budget!

Fcq76Gl.png

welcome everyone to the results of our ninth round, hidden gems :heart2:

for this round, our artists had to submit a hidden gem or an underrated track from their discography.

while some got a great scores, some got lowest scores our judges have given out gasps

2 of you will be in the bottom and have to sing-off and from there, one person will sadly get eliminated.

the results will be announced from 6th and up to 1st place then we're gonna go down to the lows/flops aka 7th to 10th after that!

now lets get this controversial round over

start posting!!!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.