Why does atrl care so much about #1’s?

Mattyboy

9 minutes ago, lostcause said:

This sounds like what katycats used to say before……:doc:

a big fanbase is always more important to cultivate because the gp is fickle and will drop anyone in a heartbeat. But Dua has time to build, Nicki will never have the gp interested again and is doomed to only fanbase support. It’s a delicate line between building a fanbase while not totally alienating the gp for when they are ready to support again.

A big fanbase is important yes but if your #1 plummets like a rock it doesn’t feel like a #1 which is the whole point of the thread.

I know id much rather have a #2 peaking song that was a massive hit in the US and all around the globe than a quick #1.

1 minute ago, Pink Ranger said:

A big fanbase is important yes but if your #1 plummets like a rock it doesn’t feel like a #1 which is the whole point of the thread.

I know id much rather have a #2 peaking song that was a massive hit in the US and all around the globe than a quick #1.

Agreed

If you’re referring to Dua, it would open great doors for her in the US. Plus it’s literally the one thing she needs this amazing era, a #1 single 

1 minute ago, lostcause said:

Agreed

:heart:

2 hours ago, Nip Tuck said:

There’s a difference between wanting a #1 and dragging an artist for not having one or acting like it’s the be all end all for an artist.

Exactly. A number one doesn’t = longevity. There are songs that didn’t even peak top 20 that are more remembered and liked than some #1s

1 hour ago, Pink Ranger said:

You’re seriously not getting the point here :rip: 

My whole argument is based on songs like Willow, that Nicki song etc and all these songs that go #1 then plummet like a rock or serve hardly any longevity, those #1s don’t feel like #1s when you have songs like DSN which are huge hits that missed the top spot but people will claim she’s not huge because she doesn’t have a #1

what’s not clicking? 

that user does not know how to use logic unfortunately

I think it's frustration since it's always a goal for any artist. But yeah some of us myself included get more frustrated than Dua herself who is so chill about it lmao

They were a big deal and it was embarrassing for an alleged MPG to not be able to get one 10, hell even 5 years ago... but we’re now at a point where life goes on, Trollz, willow, and stuck with u are all #1s so theyre pretty much value-less nowadays. Dua will be fine 

moonlitdick
4 hours ago, Pink Ranger said:

Like I’ve always preached #1s are for strictly for bragging rights and that’s that. The only way I deem a #1 song worthy of that title would be if it actually didn’t fall like a rock and served longevity or spent multiple weeks at #1

From what we’ve learnt from 2020’s quick “lil hits” #1s have lost their achievement as being this “huge deal”

there’s so many songs out there that didn’t peak at #1 or even go top #5 that are bigger than ALOT of quick #1s

Bad Romance for example.

Dont Start Now for example 

Levitating for example

Sorry Not Sorry for example 

1,2 step for example.

Stay With Me for example 

You Belong With Me for example.

If I Ain’t Got You for example 

Since You’ve Been Gone for example 

Y.M.C.A for example 

Wake Me Up for example

Thinking Out Loud for example.

We Don’t Talk Anymore for example.

We Can’t Stop for example.

the list goes on but yall get the point.

Problem / Bang Bang / Side To Side also

True :rip: especially now when it's so easy to get even a 1# debut..then fall off like a rock :skull:

chart achievements never impressed me tbh

1. This is a pop music forum

2. Statistics are the holy grail of this website, so if you're here, chances are you're gonna debate about numbers and who edges out who

3. A lot cared less about these number 1s recently until Levitating got a strong change of getting it this week.

Many people love Levitating and this is the reason behind the sudden surge of interest. And many will be watching the BTS Army and their fraudulent ways.

Because no one wants to be #2, they just act like they're okay with settling for it :cm:

well it would have been amazing for her so her fans are frustrated. 

Ha era is still everything them non singing, grammyless  chicks like Selena Gomez coudld ever dream of.

Because its a fun thing to fight over

giphy.gif

Sales/Streams with longevity >>>>>> Going #1 

Because they're out of touch with reality, songs like When's the Party Over or wish you were gay are flops by their standard, but Stupid Love treated like a #5 smash

1 hour ago, kissmemore said:

Because they're out of touch with reality, songs like When's the Party Over or wish you were gay are flops by their standard, but Stupid Love treated like a #5 smash

Who on Earth has ever said this :toofunny3: Not even Liddos think it was a big hit.

But I do agree, I'd rather have my fav have a low peak but great sales across time than a quick peak.

It’s a nice accomplishment but it’s always been so stupid to drag an artist for not having one. So many legends don’t have a #1 song

Weren’t you that same user who cried about nicki not getting a number one during queens release :dies:

4 hours ago, Katamari said:

Weren’t you that same user who cried about nicki not getting a number one during queens release :dies:

No? That wasn’t be boo. ?

Having a number #1 song is huge for any artist 

The only ones who act like there irrelevant are the ones who faves haven't got them

They don't matter in the long run 

Mariah and Rih have a bunch of them and most of them are forgoten. I like both of them but the GP will forget about the songs even if they are #1.

In the words of Marina back when her music was still well written- "yeah I'm no good to anyone, cause all I care about is being number one"

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.