Why does atrl care so much about #1’s?

Mattyboy

I understand they have credibility. But people are acting like it’s the end of the world for Dua.. And this was literally her only chance to go #1..?

As a Kesha stan, I never had to worry about #1’s as she got them very early in her career and even 5 years in with Timber. But even Kesha has had a #2 (Die Young).. And to me it wouldn’t have made a difference if it had topped it. 

2 minutes ago, FloridaKilos said:

What's wrong with wanting female artists to have #1 songs 

There’s a difference between wanting a #1 and dragging an artist for not having one or acting like it’s the be all end all for an artist.

Like I’ve always preached #1s are for strictly for bragging rights and that’s that. The only way I deem a #1 song worthy of that title would be if it actually didn’t fall like a rock and served longevity or spent multiple weeks at #1

From what we’ve learnt from 2020’s quick “lil hits” #1s have lost their achievement as being this “huge deal”

there’s so many songs out there that didn’t peak at #1 or even go top #5 that are bigger than ALOT of quick #1s

Bad Romance for example.

Dont Start Now for example 

Levitating for example

Sorry Not Sorry for example 

1,2 step for example.

Stay With Me for example 

You Belong With Me for example.

If I Ain’t Got You for example 

Since You’ve Been Gone for example 

Y.M.C.A for example 

Wake Me Up for example

Thinking Out Loud for example.

We Don’t Talk Anymore for example.

We Can’t Stop for example.

the list goes on but yall get the point.

1 minute ago, Nip Tuck said:

There’s a difference between wanting a #1 and dragging an artist for not having one or acting like it’s the be all end all for an artist.

:clap3:

13 minutes ago, FloridaKilos said:

What's wrong with wanting female artists to have #1 songs 

I think you know what I meant. Let’s not play dumb. 

10 minutes ago, Nip Tuck said:

Exactly. 

10 minutes ago, Pink Ranger said:

Like I’ve always preached #1s are for strictly for bragging rights and that’s that. The only way I deem a #1 song worthy of that title would be if it actually didn’t fall like a rock and served longevity or spent multiple weeks at #1

From what we’ve learnt from 2020’s quick “lil hits” #1s have lost their achievement as being this “huge deal”

there’s so many songs out there that didn’t peak at #1 or even go top #5 that are bigger than ALOT of quick #1s

Bad Romance for example.

Levitating for example

1,2 step for example.

Stay With Me for example 

Y.M.C.A for example 

Wake Me Up for example

I think the real accomplishment may be if a #1 debut can stay atop a second week or longevity in the top 5/10.

Just now, Mattyboy said:

I think you know what I meant. Let’s not play dumb. 

Exactly. 

I think the real accomplishment may be if a #1 debut can stay atop a second week or longevity in the top 5/10.

To me that’s a worthy #1 :clap3:

1 hour ago, Pink Ranger said:

Bad Romance for example.

Levitating for example

1,2 step for example.

Stay With Me for example 

Y.M.C.A for example 

Wake Me Up for example

the way 80% of the artists you mentioned (and maybe some i didn't highlight cuz i'm not 100% sure) have number ones.

Edited by selena_lavigne

Because we're lonely and unemployed

giphy.gif

23 minutes ago, selena_lavigne said:

the way 80% of the artists you mentioned (and maybe some i didn't highlight cuz i'm not 100% sure) have number ones.

also SNS doesn't belong on this list. it definitely did not feel like a #1 or close to it. it was a nice top 10 hit though.

How does We Can’t Talk Anymore feel like a #1? ?

Because if Dua never gets a #1 we’ll remember the mess that happened this week when she almost did 

29 minutes ago, selena_lavigne said:

also SNS doesn't belong on this list. it definitely did not feel like a #1 or close to it. it was a nice top 10 hit though.

SNS is 6x Platinum Eligible in the US… some #1s can’t even scan half that “off key in my chorus” idk.

didn’t say any of these songs “felt like #1” so cute you putting those words in my mouth I guess. SNS may have not felt like a #1 but it would have been worthy of being a #1 given it’s 6x Platinum Eligibility.

again some #1s can’t relate I fear.

10 minutes ago, Mattyboy said:

WDTA feeling like a #1 but DSN which stomps everything Selena has released solo all around the world doesn’t apparently. :rip: 

50 minutes ago, Adamj.dion said:

It’s a pop music forum.

11 minutes ago, Pink Ranger said:

WDTA feeling like a #1 but DSN which stomps everything Selena has released solo all around the world doesn’t apparently. :rip: 

? i didn't highlight Dua because she has 0 #1s. DSN does feel like a #1.

22 minutes ago, Mattyboy said:

it's one of the 100 most streamed song on spotify and one of the most watched music videos on youtube. but i didn't even see that on the list nnn. 

Edited by selena_lavigne

1 minute ago, selena_lavigne said:

? i didn't highlight Dua because she has 0 #1s. DSN does feel like a #1.

it's one of the 100 most streamed song on spotify and one of the most watched music videos on youtube. but i didn't even see that on the list nnn. 

it definitely wasn't as big in the US as it was in some other countries. 

Again proving the OPs point that #1s aren’t the be and end all of an artist. Dua’s #2 smash hits are bigger than a lot of #1s which is the whole point of the thread :rip: 

1 minute ago, Pink Ranger said:

Again proving the OPs point that #1s aren’t the be and end all of an artist. Dua’s #2 smash hits are bigger than a lot of #1s which is the whole point of the thread :rip: 

but it WASN'T #1 lmfaooo. serving #1 without all the songs above it.

21 minutes ago, Mattyboy said:

This is what will get back and forth arguments about the same topic you just posted. WDTA feels like a #1 as equally as DSN :michael:

Edited by Sweet Sexy Savage

Just now, selena_lavigne said:

but it WASN'T #1 lmfaooo. serving #1 without all the songs above it.

You’re seriously not getting the point here :rip: 

My whole argument is based on songs like Willow, that Nicki song etc and all these songs that go #1 then plummet like a rock or serve hardly any longevity, those #1s don’t feel like #1s when you have songs like DSN which are huge hits that missed the top spot but people will claim she’s not huge because she doesn’t have a #1

what’s not clicking? 

3 minutes ago, Pink Ranger said:

You’re seriously not getting the point here :rip: 

My whole argument is based on songs like Willow, that Nicki song etc and all these songs that go #1 then plummet like a rock or serve hardly any longevity, those #1s don’t feel like #1s when you have songs like DSN which are huge hits that missed the top spot but people will claim she’s not huge because she doesn’t have a #1

what’s not clicking? 

those songs went #1 because of massive fanbases. something that Dua frankly does not have. 

Dua has not been able to get to #1 organically or through her fanbase yet. so the lashings do make sense. :cm:

what's not clicking?

Edited by selena_lavigne

idk all these artists are still winning in life so who cares. most #1s nowadays seem disposable anyway. billboard really need to fix their formula.

Just now, selena_lavigne said:

those songs went #1 because of massive fanbases. something that Dua frankly does not have. 

Dua has not been able to get to #1 organically or through her fanbase yet. so the lashing do make sense:cm:

You’re right Dua doesn’t have a massive fanbase, she has something better… the geepee streaming, buying her albums/singles making them become smash hits :cm:

Nicki’s cute frontloaded #1 cannot relate I fear. 

8 minutes ago, Pink Ranger said:

You’re right Dua doesn’t have a massive fanbase, she has something better… the geepee streaming, buying her albums/singles making them become smash hits :cm:

Nicki’s cute frontloaded #1 cannot relate I fear. 

This sounds like what katycats used to say before……:doc:

a big fanbase is always more important to cultivate because the gp is fickle and will drop anyone in a heartbeat. But Dua has time to build, Nicki will never have the gp interested again and is doomed to only fanbase support. It’s a delicate line between building a fanbase while not totally alienating the gp for when they are ready to support again.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.