Billboard Charts (Week of December 26, 2020)

Renan90

1 minute ago, brianc33710 said:

I like Mariah a lot. I was "a lamb" (big fan but not really Stan) of sorts since before many on ATRL were born. I bought Mariah Carey upon its 1990 release (the summer before my Jr. Year HS). AND  I believe she cares about her fans. But there are those who say that she isn't always that pleasant. I don't want to drift too much away from chart facts so I'll leave things are this. 

Don't believe everything you read, dahling.

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Renan90

• fridayteenage

• brianc33710

• slw84

39 minutes ago, suburbannature said:

Don't believe everything you read, dahling.

I'll message you a little more about this topic to keep this going any further off track. 

9 hours ago, CaliClass24 said:

I could see 34 + 35 or even a song from Playboi Carti's album being the first new #1 of the year.

#1 34+35

#2 Levitating

#3 Positions :jonny5:

Thinking Of You
On 12/22/2020 at 7:41 PM, slw84 said:

I guess my point was Bodyguard was a monster. even though waiting to exhale/the gospel soundtrack I can't think of the name paled in comparison her branding was so top notch that it didn't feel like a decline more like a continuation.

Aht aht. Waiting to Exhale was literally gigantic. It wasn’t as big as The Bodyguard but it surely didn’t “pale in comparison”. 6 weeks at #1, 11 GRAMMY nominations including Album of the Year, sold 7M+ under a year, the biggest selling soundtrack of 1995 and 1996, one of the highest selling soundtracks of all time (at the time), and of course, the smashes: “Exhale (Shoop)” - #1, Not Gon Cry - #2, and  “Sittin Up in My Room” -#2

7 hours ago, brianc33710 said:

OK I have spent quite a while on Bing & Google trying to find record of this. I know that this was documented in USA Today & other places. But 1998 must be too long ago to find anything. However, I will include this CBC interview from summer/fall 1998 when she released My Love Is Your Love. The interviewer didn't find Houston particularly pleasant. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gu8KeKxo3DY

I want to add that this isn't to drag Whitney Houston. I am/was a big fan of hers. However, at some point by the late 1990s her image had already begun to tarnish. Kind of like Mariah today (I'm a Mariah fan but she's not pleasant from many sources), but 15 years earlier.

This doesn't really prove much as it really can be the only interview that can be used. All other interviews in 1998 were normal. She was definitely in a funk that day, though.

4 hours ago, Thinking Of You said:

Aht aht. Waiting to Exhale was literally gigantic. It wasn’t as big as The Bodyguard but it surely didn’t “pale in comparison”. 6 weeks at #1, 11 GRAMMY nominations including Album of the Year, sold 7M+ under a year, the biggest selling soundtrack of 1995 and 1996, one of the highest selling soundtracks of all time (at the time), and of course, the smashes: “Exhale (Shoop)” - #1, Not Gon Cry - #2, and  “Sittin Up in My Room” -#2

Yes, true and it still doesn't compare to Whitney Houston or Bodyguard era. Her 2 other soundtracks were big.

I didn't mean to imply that they were not.

My point was that there was a decline in hits, longevity and sales and yet because her brand was so on point it was never about oh she only sold half of or oh she declined by 30%

It's great and I think Taylor is finding a way to keep the narrative on success and not the fact that her numbers are declining and and she has no huge hits anymore.

Getting her solid fanbase to buy albums over and over again, signed copies, various remixes etc. is smart because she can still go 3x platinum as if it's even close to 3M people (equivalent) consuming the album.

I'm not mad at it but it's clear her team is top notch and playing a smart game.

Apple music: xmas vs. lil durk

1 mariah

13 michael

16 ariana

3 durk

5 durk

6 durk

7 durk

14 durk

15 durk

17 durk

19 durk

20 durk

It'll be interesting to see xmas day numbers.

17 hours ago, slw84 said:

This doesn't really prove much as it really can be the only interview that can be used. All other interviews in 1998 were normal. She was definitely in a funk that day, though.

Yes, true and it still doesn't compare to Whitney Houston or Bodyguard era. Her 2 other soundtracks were big.

My point was that there was a decline in hits, longevity and sales and yet because her brand was so on point it was never about oh she only sold half of or oh she declined by 30%

It's great and I think Taylor is finding a way to keep the narrative on success and not the fact that her numbers are declining and and she has no huge hits anymore.

Getting her solid fanbase to buy albums over and over again, signed copies, various remixes etc. is smart because she can still go 3x platinum as if it's even close to 3M people (equivalent) consuming the album.

I'm not mad at it but it's clear her team is top notch and playing a smart game.

Babyface actually "rebranded" Whitney on My Love Is Your Love to gain an Urban following because her music had gotten "too white." But I don't know much else to share here.

Potentially some of those who had said bad things prior to her passing tried to remove/hide that info after she died. That's been done in several circumstances & I guess its obviously not that hard to do. 

Maybe Brenda Lee will film a RATCT video with her grand/great-grandchildren in 2021. She's still fairly healthy I think & having a family-type Christmas video would work well with streamers. Maybe some not-too-far out there remix will help Lee too. I'd really like to see her hit #1. 

9 hours ago, brianc33710 said:

Babyface actually "rebranded" Whitney on My Love Is Your Love to gain an Urban following because her music had gotten "too white." But I don't know much else to share here.

Potentially some of those who had said bad things prior to her passing tried to remove/hide that info after she died. That's been done in several circumstances & I guess its obviously not that hard to do. 

Didn't they do this with I'm your baby tonight and Waiting to exhale already.

But yes MLIYL is the best output of it.

I still believe Taylor's branding is good much like Whitney's was when she was slowing down but the GP didn't look at her in that way she was just a iconic diva still churning out hit music even if it didn't hit as high or last as long. 

In contrast, the branding is bad for artist who still have hits (not as big) but they are branded to be over or on the decline. I felt that with Ashanti in her 2nd album era and Ja rule when he was getting hits after the 50 cent beef as well as Keri hilson getting her biggest hits post Beyonce diss.

branding and hype does play a factor and Taylor and her team are very clever in what they did this year.

Spotify on peak xmas week, US 2019 vs. 2020:

Brenda +4.17 mil (+3 positions)

Andy +3.69 mil (+4 positions)

Kelly +3.49 mil (+32 positions)

Bobby +3.42 mil (+2 positions)

Wham +3.35 mil (+7 positions)

Ariana +3.19 mil (+7 positions)

Michael +3.11 mil (+11 positions)

Mariah +2.05 mil

Frank +1.79 mil (+11 positions)

Burl +1.28 mil (+5 positions)

On 12/24/2020 at 6:15 AM, slw84 said:

Whitney actually had one more soundtrack after Waiting To Exhale; The Preacher's Wife. But it really didn't generate any notable hits. 

And yes, I'm Your Baby Tonight did bring her somewhat back toward Urban. From what I read looking for my links, Whitney was actually booed at the 1989 Soul Train Awards because her music "wasn't Black enough." I didn't see the awards & I doubt you could find them anywhere anyhow anyway any more. 1989 was way before YT. VCR tapes probably fall apart long before now too. DVDs which last longer didn't emerge til 1996/7.

The fact Whitney had won so many Grammys & American Music Awards meant 0 to the STA audience. There are those that believe she never really fully got over what happened then & there. 

from totc:

Because of Christmas songs getting huge streaming increases this week compared to last week (ranging from 30-50% in terms of increase), the two songs initially projected to just stay on the Hot 100 (“Blinding Lights” & “Whats Poppin”) are now projected to go recurrent.

3 minutes ago, fridayteenage said:

from totc:

Because of Christmas songs getting huge streaming increases this week compared to last week (ranging from 30-50% in terms of increase), the two songs initially projected to just stay on the Hot 100 (“Blinding Lights” & “Whats Poppin”) are now projected to go recurrent.

A blessing ???❤️

47 minutes ago, fridayteenage said:

from totc:

Good 

8 hours ago, brianc33710 said:

Whitney actually had one more soundtrack after Waiting To Exhale; The Preacher's Wife. But it really didn't generate any notable hits. 

And yes, I'm Your Baby Tonight did bring her somewhat back toward Urban. From what I read looking for my links, Whitney was actually booed at the 1989 Soul Train Awards because her music "wasn't Black enough." I didn't see the awards & I doubt you could find them anywhere anyhow anyway any more. 1989 was way before YT. VCR tapes probably fall apart long before now too. DVDs which last longer didn't emerge til 1996/7.

The fact Whitney had won so many Grammys & American Music Awards meant 0 to the STA audience. There are those that believe she never really fully got over what happened then & there. 

I Believe In You And Me hit #4

On 12/22/2020 at 1:36 PM, Breathe On Moi said:

It may sound bad if she gets the biggest drop record tho, it’ll be attached to it forever :emofish:

Idk about forever the records change fast tbh nn

To think Mariah would’ve had 4 weeks at #1 if not for Taylor :deadbanana2:

13 hours ago, Adonis said:

I Believe In You And Me hit #4

True, but nowhere near IWALY or even Exhale. I don't listen to Urban but it seems like Whitney's songs after Exhale aren't/weren't getting AC RC airplay. 

16 hours ago, Zs2236 said:

A blessing ???❤️

15 hours ago, CandyBling said:

Good 

Blinding Lights will be back next week

US Spotify weekly peaks, for songs that first went #1 this year:

1 the box, blinding lights, toosie slide, scotts, rockstar, cardigan, wap, positions, willow

2 rain on me, mood

3 say so, stuck with u

4 watermelon sugar, dynamite

5 savage

6 franchise

9 savage love

12 life goes on

18 trollz

2 hours ago, Roberto said:

Any predictions for the next week? 

According to TOTC's Twitter, after Christmas week is looking like:

1. Mood

2. positions

3. Holy

4. Go Crazy

5. Laugh Now Cry Later

6. Blinding Lights

7. For the Night

8. Lemonade

9. Levitating

10. Body

Top 15: 34+35

Top 20: Dynamite, Therefore I Am, Kings & Queens

Top 40 (possibly): All I Want For Christmas Is You

1 hour ago, Ger-55 said:

3. Holy

Longevity whew. A HIT with a gospel tune :fan: 

2 hours ago, Ger-55 said:

1. Mood

2. positions

3. Holy

4. Go Crazy

5. Laugh Now Cry Later

6. Blinding Lights

7. For the Night

8. Lemonade

9. Levitating

10. Body

Top 15: 34+35

Top 20: Dynamite, Therefore I Am, Kings & Queens

Top 40 (possibly): All I Want For Christmas Is You

I’m so confused. Isn’t willow predicted to be t40 still?