Billboard Charts (Week of December 26, 2020)

Renan90

2 hours ago, brianc33710 said:

One reason Whitney sales declined thru the 90s is because she only wanted to make songs for movies. Babyface had to basically threat her with a breach of contract lawsuit to get her to record that 1998/9 non movie soundtrack songs.

Sorry for this off-topic question but can you provide more tea on this??? I don't know much about Whitney's career but that sounds like a hot mess, why'd she refuse to make a proper album? :rip:

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Renan90

• fridayteenage

• brianc33710

• slw84

3 hours ago, brianc33710 said:

One reason Whitney sales declined thru the 90s is because she only wanted to make songs for movies. Babyface had to basically threat her with a breach of contract lawsuit to get her to record that 1998/9 non movie soundtrack songs.

I get that. I guess my point was Bodyguard was a monster. even though waiting to exhale/the gospel soundtrack I can't think of the name paled in comparison her branding was so top notch that it didn't feel like a decline more like a continuation.

So i feel like Taylor and co are doing a good job at finding new ways to make her seem almost as in demand as she once was even though music/charts nerds know that getting stans to buy multiple copies of things and doing signed copies to boost sales and other stuff is in line with what BTS and others do to tip the scale.

It doesn't seem like her brand is showing * so that's clever marketing being done to separate her from the others who get more flack outside of forum talk.

Not sure what will happen with Willow's drop from #1 but the other stuff is very clever.

58 minutes ago, Digitalism said:

I find it amazing how many organic #1 Rihanna had seeing that every artist that had lots of #1 were way more fraudulent than her to get them

Her #1’s sold less than most top 5 hits despite getting more radio support compared with her peers. Keep it cute and stay on topic 

Just now, Codex said:

Because she essentially had a new #1 every three months in 2010-2011 ☠️ Most of the highest selling digital songs cannibalized their follow ups to do so.

The only ones that were released near eachother were Only girl and What’s my name. Everything else had enough time to smash. S&m reached number 1 until March or so. And that needed a remix to go number one. Only girl also needed a discount last minute. So keep it cute. 

Taylor shouldve waited. There was no need for a follow up so soon. I guess rappers do it all the time . I think she’ll do a few years of rerecordings  then back to original content 

Since Xmas is on a Friday, does Mariah have two more weeks at #1? This upcoming week and then the week after Christmas. 

10 minutes ago, Codex said:

S&M was #2 before the remix, behind ET by Katy Perry, which was also boosted by a remix. Regardless, it was #12 on the year end charts ahead of various hype fueled #1s such as Born This Way at #18. In the long run, they ended up selling the same amount.

The closest thing Rihanna has to a “fraudulent” #1 would be S&M yet it was still a major smash. She could have had more #1s with This Is What You Came For (only needed like 5k sales), for example, but they didn’t bother.

There is no need to get offended over facts. No one was attacking anyone ?

You know that the only reason why BTW was lower was because of radio, right? S&m sold 3.8 U.S/7 million WW. BTW sold 4.3 million u.s/10.3 million ww. So you proved my point again. Radio brought it there. BTW outsold it with less radio support ? 

5 minutes ago, Codex said:

What is your point? BTW was the most supported song of all time by radio, then it debuted last on callouts and was then dropped. Your receipts I assume are from wikipedia,

S&M
3,837,000 digital copies in the US as of June 2015”

Born This Way

As of February 2019, it has sold 4.3 million digital downloads in the US”

I don’t know the 2019 figures for S&M but since digital sales didn’t die until 2017-8, it should be around 4.1 million. Loud also sold 8 million worldwide, so again, what is your point?

Its not around 4.1 at all. The max it’ll be would be 3.9. 
Radio?? 
S&M year end- 21 

BTW- year end- 40

Sales

BTW- year end- 9

s&m- year end- 15

Pleaseeee. Loud is at 6.5 million— Born this way is at 6.7 million. 

Edited by Zs2236

59 minutes ago, Zs2236 said:

Her #1’s sold less than most top 5 hits despite getting more radio support compared with her peers. Keep it cute and stay on topic 

This is simply not true. She was doing good on all metrics

IDK why you take it so personal. I was talking not only about Taylor but all the others with some fraudulent #1 like Mariah and Whitney

Rihanna only got desperate with SnM and was already #2 and a huge hit 

Lead-artist #1s released same week as the parent album, thus having to compete with the parent album the whole time:

Rihanna Disturbia (reloaded)

Rude boy

Work

Taylor Blank space

Cardigan

Willow

Katy Firework

Last Friday Night

Gaga Poker face, i think

Ariana n/a

Edited by fridayteenage

5 minutes ago, Digitalism said:

This is simply not true. She was doing good on all metrics

IDK why you take it so personal. I was talking not only about Taylor but all the others with some fraudulent #1 like Mariah and Whitney

Rihanna only got desperate with SnM and was already #2 and a huge hit 

Not really. Having 180m audience and selling 3 something million is horrible. Most of peers had wayy less radio support and sold more. The only reason why she’s the biggest digital seller is because she released 60-70 something singles. Her peers released 25-35 singles 

Just now, Codex said:

Why are you blaming Rihanna for radio audiences liking her songs? Is that supposed to be bad? Airplay is based on audience feedback...

3.9 million = “3 something million”?

Also S&M did NOT have 180m airplay lmaoo.

☠️☠️☠️☠️☠️

I’m talking about diamonds. It had 180m audience and sold 3.5 m. Most of her songs had higher airplay compared to other hits. Nobody asked you to drag Taylor and put Rihanna when she’s not even mentioned. Ty have a nice day 

19 minutes ago, Zs2236 said:

Not really. Having 180m audience and selling 3 something million is horrible. Most of peers had wayy less radio support and sold more. The only reason why she’s the biggest digital seller is because she released 60-70 something singles. Her peers released 25-35 singles 

But that happened beacause most of her singles were hits. So the label kept on releasing them

Also why are we living in 2011 when she is still huge on streaming in 2020 even without an album. S&M is still bigger than Born this way today on streaming. When people keep on listening even years after that's the true definition of a real organic  hit.

12 hours ago, peterstyles13 said:

Worms for brains. People genuinely can't understand how her releasing a whole album made casual fans buy that instead of simply buying willow :skull:

you clearly didn't undestand my point. you are like a machine which repeat same phrases everyday like 'Worms for brain', etc...
but the point was that before now Taylor stans bought everything she puts million times, even folklore sold more than 100k last week, but what concerns her new project today I believe that even her fans see this fraudulence and don't want to support million versions of one songs. Taylor went from the artist that can send silent to the top of iTunes to artist that can't sell at least 100k with 5 different versions. the decline is the decline and i don't understand why are you trying to argue with facts.

8 hours ago, Britney Is Fierce said:

Sorry for this off-topic question but can you provide more tea on this??? I don't know much about Whitney's career but that sounds like a hot mess, why'd she refuse to make a proper album? :rip:

I'll make a note to find the source later today. I've never gotten good at copy/paste on my phone. While Houston's voice was still good in the late 90s her drug issues did begin to affect her career. 

4 hours ago, NewStanner said:

The reach you made just to "drag" a certain artist, even though there's nothing to drag for

i don't understand your word usage, but this was in response to the argument above.

i was just saying it is harder to get a #1 song when you have to compete against your parent album the whole chart run. but thanks for your concern ig.

On 12/20/2020 at 9:17 PM, Godly said:

A record smasher :jonny5:

a ****ing legend omg she can't be stopped :jonny5: 

What do we all think the first #1 smash of 2021 is going to be? A song already out or a new song yet to come?

I am thinking it will be Dakiti, with runner up mention to Body.

7 minutes ago, MusicTalker said:

What do we all think the first #1 smash of 2021 is going to be? A song already out or a new song yet to come?

I could see 34 + 35 or even a song from Playboi Carti's album being the first new #1 of the year.

On 12/22/2020 at 6:41 PM, slw84 said:

I get that. I guess my point was Bodyguard was a monster. even though waiting to exhale/the gospel soundtrack I can't think of the name paled in comparison her branding was so top notch that it didn't feel like a decline more like a continuation.

So i feel like Taylor and co are doing a good job at finding new ways to make her seem almost as in demand as she once was even though music/charts nerds know that getting stans to buy multiple copies of things and doing signed copies to boost sales and other stuff is in line with what BTS and others do to tip the scale.

It doesn't seem like her brand is showing * so that's clever marketing being done to separate her from the others who get more flack outside of forum talk.

Not sure what will happen with Willow's drop from #1 but the other stuff is very clever.

OK I have spent quite a while on Bing & Google trying to find record of this. I know that this was documented in USA Today & other places. But 1998 must be too long ago to find anything. However, I will include this CBC interview from summer/fall 1998 when she released My Love Is Your Love. The interviewer didn't find Houston particularly pleasant. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gu8KeKxo3DY

I want to add that this isn't to drag Whitney Houston. I am/was a big fan of hers. However, at some point by the late 1990s her image had already begun to tarnish. Kind of like Mariah today (I'm a Mariah fan but she's not pleasant from many sources), but 15 years earlier.

7 hours ago, MusicTalker said:

It's gonna be All I Want For Christmas Is You

14 minutes ago, brianc33710 said:

OK I have spent quite a while on Bing & Google trying to find record of this. I know that this was documented in USA Today & other places. But 1998 must be too long ago to find anything. However, I will include this CBC interview from summer/fall 1998 when she released My Love Is Your Love. The interviewer didn't find Houston particularly pleasant. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gu8KeKxo3DY

I want to add that this isn't to drag Whitney Houston. I am/was a big fan of hers. However, at some point by the late 1990s her image had already begun to tarnish. Kind of like Mariah today (I'm a Mariah fan but she's not pleasant from many sources), but 15 years earlier.

That was sad to watch. She honestly seemed high or something in that interview. Like she was doing everything to keep it together, but it was still obvious something was "off".

On 12/22/2020 at 8:06 PM, infrared said:

Taylor shouldve waited. There was no need for a follow up so soon. I guess rappers do it all the time . I think she’ll do a few years of rerecordings  then back to original content 

There's no way she's taking a few years off from releasing original content 

1 hour ago, brianc33710 said:

People who have worked with Mariah or who have met her who are not Xtina say she is a complete professional and very giving with her time to fans.

32 minutes ago, suburbannature said:

People who have worked with Mariah or who have met her who are not Xtina say she is a complete professional and very giving with her time to fans.

I like Mariah a lot. I was "a lamb" (big fan but not really Stan) of sorts since before many on ATRL were born. I bought Mariah Carey upon its 1990 release (the summer before my Jr. Year HS). AND  I believe she cares about her fans. But there are those who say that she isn't always that pleasant. I don't want to drift too much away from chart facts so I'll leave things are this.