folklore: 2 MILLION units in US

Ms. Togekiss

Taylor Swift's smash eighth studio album folklore has just surpassed 2 MILLION units in the US.

Can you believe it?:jonny5:

8 multi-platinum albums and the 9th just came out :jonny5:Only the BIGGEST female artist in the US :jonny5:

It’s about to cross 1M album sale in China as well. the fact she never lose, haters will only have to seethe.  

This is amazing, but I don’t know why I thought it was already 3x or 4x platinum, it has been on top for a while

littlebodybigheart
16 minutes ago, Trent W said:

This is amazing, but I don’t know why I thought it was already 3x or 4x platinum, it has been on top for a while

in the streaming era, to be top 10 you only need like 30k units every week compared to the digital era where you’d have to sell at least 100k to be in the top 10 :rip: so naturally albums accumulate units slower.

it does feel like it should be like 3x platinum though based on how it’s performing, if we were in the digital era this would be way past that.

2 minutes ago, littlebodybigheart said:

in the streaming era, to be top 10 you only need like 30k units every week compared to the digital era where you’d have to sell at least 100k to be in the top 10 :rip: so naturally albums accumulate units slower.

it does feel like it should be like 3x platinum though based on how it’s performing, if we were in the digital era this would be way past that.

Yeah then a 2x platinum in 2020 might be the equivalent of a 4x-5x platinum back in 2012-2014

Absolutely Amazing!!! Wow! <3 

selling over a million albums; not everyone can do that in 2020 (some never)

18 hours ago, Trent W said:

Post Malone's latest album spent 50 weeks in the Top 10 and is now at ~3.7 million on-chart units (excluding pre-released units).

The streaming era is different. 

A streaming album typically needs at least 20-30 weeks in the Top 10 to achieve 2m on-chart SPS units. Folklore only needed ~15 weeks in the Top 10 to reach 2xP because of strong pure sales.

In the physical sales era, some albums spent 20-30 weeks in the Top 10 to reach the diamond status. Oops I Did It Again and Let's Talk About Love are the two obvious examples.

On 12/13/2020 at 12:25 AM, Trent W said:

Things are a lot slower in the streaming era. It should get to 3x late next year though. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.