Billboard Charts: #1 Humble, #7 Stay, #9 Despacito

UNNAMI

Just now, simmnfierzig said:

Not really. You can stream without being in the room or with the volume turned down

Correct. Neither method forces you to hear it. But the perceived inaccuracy of each one due to that fact is excessively high in this thread.

• Replies
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• simmnfierzig

• Navyofbadgals

• QueenofCopyPaste

• FutureHive

does anyone have any predictions for what will be #1 next week?

4 minutes ago, alexanderao said:

I know that sales reflect what people are buying. But, as I already stated, sales are becoming increasingly less representative of music consumers. Moreover, they're an inaccurate method of popularity measurement in the first place.

You're displaying a fundamental misunderstanding of what streaming figures represent. A song getting 62 million streams does not mean that 62 million different people streamed it. It means that it got 62 million streams—that could be from 6 or 10 or 17 million people. The number of unique listeners is not what should determine popularity—overall consumption is what should do so. Sales measure the former, while streaming tracks the latter.

Furthermore, with your house example, you imply that someone who buys a song will always be more committed to it than someone who streams it. This fallacy allows you to claim sales as more representative of more sincere consumption, which is an unprovable and illogical proposition. I have streamed many songs that I love several hundred times. But I guarantee you that there are plenty of people that have bought those songs and played them less than me. Why is their consumption worthy of more influence than mine? They literally consumed the song less.

So let me ask you this, doesn't ATRL determine the popularity of the "80s pop girls" by their album sales? Madonna has sold more albums than Celine. Hypothetically speaking, if Celine had more streams than Madonna, would you argue that Celine was more popular than Madonna? 

3 minutes ago, simmnfierzig said:

What? Why? I can buy a Taylor song without listening to it first, no problem :celestial5:

Not to go for the ad hominem, but you have Taylor in your avi. :laugh:

2 minutes ago, Navyofbadgals said:

Why? I've seen people do it

The person is probably a general fan of the artist.

2 minutes ago, alexanderao said:

Correct. Neither method forces you to hear it. But the perceived inaccuracy of each one due to that fact is excessively high in this thread.

Yeah. Thing is we don't know how many times the average buyer listens to a song after he bought it and we don't really know how many of those 67 million Kendrick streams are legit streams. 

I would think the average person listens to a song they bought a lot and ~60 million of those Kendrick streams are legit, but not much point in arguing over it as we just don't know. 

It certainly feels like streaming is a more accurate way of tracking consumption than sales though. Doesn't make it perfect. 

2 minutes ago, rowlet said:

does anyone have any predictions for what will be #1 next week?

Shape Of You or That's What I Like or Humble. I have no idea right now. 

1 minute ago, Mr. Wonder said:

Yeah exactly? Fans can easily buy a song without listening to the song first. Especially relevant in the first week obviously.

No. 1  (up from No. 3) "Humble." (67.4 million)
No. 4 (debut), "DNA." (51 million)
No. 14 (debut), "Loyalty.," featuring Rihanna (32.2 million)
No. 16 (debut), "Element." (31.3 million)
No. 18 (debut), "Love.," featuring Zacari (29.3 million)
No. 32 (debut), "Yah." (24.5 million)
No. 33 (debut), "XXX." (23.3 million)
No. 35 (debut), "Feel." (22.5 million)
No. 37 (debut)," Pride." (21.8 million)
No. 42 (debut), "Lust." (20.2 million)
No. 50 (debut), "Fear."  (17.6 million)
No. 54 (debut), "Blood."  (17.3 million)
No. 58 (debut), "God." (16 million)
No. 63 (debut), "Duckworth." (14.1 million)

Talen won again this week

Kendrick with #1 album and #1 song in the same week ??

Stay entering on the top 10

Despacito reaching top 10 at #9, It's such a hit representing Latin Music, It could be a summer hit if it reaches number 1...

That's What I Like could finally peak at #1 maybe in one, two weeks...

Just now, Mr. Wonder said:

So let me ask you this, doesn't ATRL determine the popularity of the "80s pop girls" by their album sales? Madonna has sold more albums than Celine. Hypothetically speaking, if Celine had more streams than Madonna, would you argue that Celine was more popular than Madonna? 

I'm not quite sure what you're saying. But if streaming existed in the 1980s, and the proportions of people buying & streaming were equal to today's (because the fact that the former proportion is dwindling & the latter is skyrocketing is essential to understanding why streaming is beginning to matter much more), then yes, I would argue that in general. But I have a hunch that you're trying to lead me into saying that streaming should be the sole determinant of popularity, which is not what I'm saying at all.

59 minutes ago, Mr. Wonder said:

Sales should always be highly influential when calculating the Hot 100, or any chart tbh. It reflects true popularity tbh, imo.

I'm gonna have to disagree with you on this one. Streaming is quickly becoming the #1 avenue for musical consumption by today's youth, and the upward trend is only intensifying. 

The Cure better rise next week. Also, what are the chances of TWIL going #1 next week?

4 minutes ago, simmnfierzig said:

It certainly feels like streaming is a more accurate way of tracking consumption than sales though. Doesn't make it perfect. 

Absolutely

42nd top20 hit for Rih :heart2:

5 minutes ago, Mr. Wonder said:

IDC what the reason is, buying without listening first is possible and does happen :michael: 

also for the rest of your argument about the 80s it seems like your painting us off like people are dismissing sales as a whole PLUS sales covered a much larger part of the music consumers so it's not comparable to today's situation

5 minutes ago, istan4badgalriri said:

No. 1  (up from No. 3) "Humble." (67.4 million)
No. 4 (debut), "DNA." (51 million)
No. 16 (debut), "Element." (31.3 million)
No. 18 (debut), "Love.," featuring Zacari (29.3 million)
No. 32 (debut), "Yah." (24.5 million)
No. 33 (debut), "XXX." (23.3 million)
No. 35 (debut), "Feel." (22.5 million)
No. 37 (debut)," Pride." (21.8 million)
No. 42 (debut), "Lust." (20.2 million)
No. 50 (debut), "Fear."  (17.6 million)
No. 54 (debut), "Blood."  (17.3 million)
No. 58 (debut), "God." (16 million)
No. 63 (debut), "Duckworth." (14.1 million)

this is why streaming is flawed

Also doesn't strihming make up for more than 50% of the revenue of the music industry nowadays? 

I think that says enough tbh

8 hours ago, ARTPØP said:

The Hot 100 has become such a stupid joke. I'm getting tired of all these top 10 debuts due to heavy streaming. 

I truly feel like only 4-5 songs in the top 10 are actual hits. 

The Hot 100 isn't a joke because nobody wants to stream your faves' corny ass flop single. :sorry: 

I'm late to the party but YES KENDRICK :jonny3: best #1 of the year so far

also, @Ed BITCH BE HUMBLE

:fan: 

Despacito top 10 :jonny3:

Loyalty top 15 :jonny3: another top 20 for legend Rih

40 minutes ago, Cz! said:

So record-breaking sales/streams would mean nothing. :deadbanana3:

That would completely ruin the Hot 100. We'd have songs with mediocre streams/sales/airplay above strong sellers/streamers just because they couldn't get enough radio play.

Just to illustrate how ridiculous it would be: a song with 80K sales, 12M streams, and 80M AI would earn around 240 Hot 100 points, whereas a song with something out-of-this-world like 2M sales, 95M streams, and 60M AI would get around 180 points because anything above 60K sales and 9 million streams would be cut off in order to not be above a 1/3 of the overall points. :skull: It makes absolutely no sense.

25 minutes ago, alexanderao said:

I know that sales reflect what people are buying. But, as I already stated, sales are becoming increasingly less representative of music consumers. Moreover, they're an inaccurate method of popularity measurement in the first place.

You're displaying a fundamental misunderstanding of what streaming figures represent. A song getting 62 million streams does not mean that 62 million different people streamed it. It means that it got 62 million streams—that could be from 6 or 10 or 17 million people. The number of unique listeners is not what should determine popularity—overall consumption is what should do so. Sales measure the former, while streaming tracks the latter.

Furthermore, with your house example, you imply that someone who buys a song will always be more committed to it than someone who streams it. This fallacy allows you to claim sales as more representative of more sincere consumption, which is an unprovable and illogical proposition. I have streamed many songs that I love several hundred times. But I guarantee you that there are plenty of people that have bought those songs and played them less than me. Why is their consumption worthy of more influence than mine? They literally consumed the song less.

13 minutes ago, simmnfierzig said:

Yeah. Thing is we don't know how many times the average buyer listens to a song after he bought it and we don't really know how many of those 67 million Kendrick streams are legit streams. 

I would think the average person listens to a song they bought a lot and ~60 million of those Kendrick streams are legit, but not much point in arguing over it as we just don't know. 

these all made valid points tbh.

King Kunta slaying left and right :jonny:

Woooohhh talent is WINNIN' :clap3:

3 minutes ago, NE. said:

The Hot 100 isn't a joke because nobody wants to stream your faves' corny ass flop single. :sorry: 

This is not true and you know it. 

Can IAM finally enter the top 10 next week?

Edited by Selenashunty