Claw's thread | AOTY posted

SLIME

5 hours ago, Claw said:

Ariana Grande - Positions

I have only checked a couple of tracks. Let's see if I give her album a try one day. :coffee2:

Edited by Sunderland 4ever

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SLIME

• madonnas

• TheWayWeWere

• Ewan Chaos

omg, so nice to see more Positions love :heart2: it's too overhated, there's not much bangers like on previous albums, but it still so good and production slays

• ATRL Moderator

did thee oh sees change their name?

agree with you about PG, tho his last album is probably better than this one, its better than his first couple.

positions kinda underrated 

Yeah Positions is cute but DEFINITELY no Sweetener. No Thank U Next either. But better than her other albums I think.

On the Floor is amazing, but I kinda do not care at all for the rest of PG's album. His previous one >>>>>

On 12/12/2020 at 12:12 AM, Pink Matter said:

I never could quite get into Alex G but I shall give it a spin!

Blinding Lights really became a modern classic in the span of a year whew. Will give Ms. Shy a few more spins but I couldn't get into her lil EP :emofish: 

What did you think about Gretel? I can't get too into a lot of folk music myself. For some reason, his work has a different effect on me though. Probably the psychedelic/genre-bending aspects (he did work on Blonde, after all). I'm realizing Shygirl may not be for everyone, but hey I like her!!!

On 12/12/2020 at 12:44 AM, TheWayWeWere said:

I liked new Bree EP better tbh :clap3:  she's so talented

Me too. :eli: "Mixtape" or whatever it was.

On 12/13/2020 at 10:16 PM, pinknblue said:

Hi.

BB captured me the most from what I've heard from shygirl, but her music is lacking a punch for me to revisit. Wondering what'll be on the 2020 lists.

ayo Chun!

I do wonder what she'll do in the future with the album format. It's the production on her EPs that punches for me, and I think her delivery usually matches. On the 2020 lists, well, there may be some more Shygirl, but let's find out shall we.

11 hours ago, TheWayWeWere said:

omg, so nice to see more Positions love :heart2: it's too overhated, there's not much bangers like on previous albums, but it still so good and production slays

Yeah, pretty much agree again! I think it's a good project and don't see why it'd deserve hate, but stans are weird like that. Generally a good solid R&B record with good production like you said.

11 hours ago, Madame X said:

did thee oh sees change their name?

Yes! It's them. These bands are so #krazy. Idk if it's permanent lol.

1 hour ago, Ewan Chaos said:

Yeah Positions is cute but DEFINITELY no Sweetener. No Thank U Next either. But better than her other albums I think.

On the Floor is amazing, but I kinda do not care at all for the rest of PG's album. His previous one >>>>>

Um, I wouldn't say it's no TUN. :eli: But that's one I never liked that much. Maybe Perfume Genius's catalog will click in full one day, that would be nice. When I think about it, I might prefer his previous as well but hard to tell.

-

Brb with some more x

Here are the album covers for the last set, because I was on mobile but they are pretty:

mp81TZ0.png

2020 albums: Honorable mentions continued

7c4pbt5.png

Armani Caesar - The Liz (East Coast hip hop)

highlight: "Simply Done" (feat. Benny the Butcher)

First lady of Griselda makes a promising debut as well as putting in work on the crew's other records. Love to see more than a small handful of female rappers getting it done this year.

Lady Gaga - Chromatica (dance-pop, Euro-house)

highlight: "Babylon"

Her ~return to the dance floor~. As far as she could have gone, the production style chosen here was not a bad or uninspired choice; though there is a sameyness that means not every song gets to properly pop. Still, enough good solid highlights to last: "Alice," "911," "Sour Candy" and I think "Babylon" has to be her best since at least BTW.

Nazar - Guerrilla (post-industrial, Kuduro)

highlight: all of it

Friend told me to listen to this, I believe the producer is one of his friends at Army (no this part is just a joke). Anyway need to listen more but tbd knows best. An electronic project with some harsher elements.

RAY - Pink (shoegaze)

highlight: track 2 "バタフライエフェクト"

Cool project that combines shoegaze with J-pop, noise elements, dream pop and some more. Nice tones! A good concept and overall I like what I've heard from this band and related artists.

Nicolas Jaar - Cenizas (ambient, electronic)

highlight: I forget

Nic Jaar is high key one of the most prolific (and also hottest) artists lately. Of his 3 big LPs this year, this one hit me the least; but I can tell I need some more time with it. Good for relaxing and drifting to sleep.

Kehlani - It Was Good Until It Wasn't (contemporary R&B)

highlight: The collabs? Idk

Pretty standard radio/streaming stuff. It didn't rock my world, but she's a professional so the songs do land ok. Often I find that projects like this one won't stun on first listen, but do hold up pretty well over time.

Deftones - Ohms (alt-metal)

highlight: just a pick a random track, honestly.

Gave their newest a spin despite not knowing much from them. Enjoyed myself but this was just the first taste. Q3/Q4 stuff I often don't have time to come back to before these lists happen. No one's fault lol.

Gunna - Wunna (trap)

highlight: "Skybox"

Well, this is a trap project. Good as background music or if you like this kind of stuff in general. To be fair there are some nice, psychedelic touches to Gunna's beats that make his work stand out from others. In fairness I didn't listen to Lil Baby's album this year in time for this list, but that one might be better than his duet partner's. 

2020: HMs continued! (last set)

IwMy3Cl.png

(black space isn't blank, it's just Tricot)

Mr. Mutha****in' Exquire - Confessions of a Sex Addict (conscious? hip hop, East Coast hip hop)

highlight: the slimy feeling that follows completion.

This feels so random lol and I don't even remember what drew me to listen. Probably the sex addict concept tbh. It was definitely a trip listening to someone else's experiences on the subject. I wouldn't rec. this to the average ATRL member reading, but if you're looking for a hip hop record out of the usual, with a psychological aspect to it: this is that.

Ava Max - Heaven & Hell (dance-pop, electropop)

highlight: "Torn"

This is such generic 2011'd radio fodder by the numbers, but hey, I guess we've reached the point where there is a market for that again. Overall, competent work from Circut etc on the production aspect here – and the girl can sing, too. I do truthfully enjoy "Sweet but Psycho," and more or less this builds off the same formula. You guys reading this already know the deal I think.

Carly Rae Jepsen  - Dedicated Side B (dance-pop, synthpop)

highlight: "Summer Love"

I love Carly! She's a gem. Dedicated wasn't on Emotion's level for me, but that's a high bar and she still did well. Feel like these tracks sit around the same quality level; "Summer Love" was definitely the one that jumped off the page at me, though. The best Tame Impala song of the year.

Phoebe Bridgers - Punisher (singer/songwriter, indie folk)

highlight: "I Know the End""

I think Phoebe is cute! very charismatic and talented, and has even better records inside of her yet to come. After a revisit to her catalog in the future, I will probably have more to say about Punisher than I do now. Folky stuff usually doesn't excite me that much as a rule, but there's more than that here.

Zebra Katz - Less Is Moor (experimental hip hop, UK bass)

highlights: "Lick It n Split" (feat. Shygirl)

He was best known for the viral hit "Ima Read" earlier in the previous decade, and finally this year released his full debut. Cool production choices taken from the UK dance scene that I believe will age well - I have a lot of love for that sound!! Is the Shygirl track really the best? Don't know - but a safe enough bet.

tricot - 真っ黒 (Makkuro) [math rock]

highlight: track 6 "低速道路"

Firstly, shoutout to them for releasing 2 albums this year. Something a few artists did, as there wasn't much else to do. Can't speak too much on this genre or the band themselves, but I'm looking into it.

Sada Baby - Skuba Sada 2 (Michigan rap)

highlight: "Slide"

Michigan rap was not something I spent mad time with this year - but even without that, I could tell there is something truly exciting popping off out there. Next year I'll have to get into some more of it and that's a promise. This Sada project was like a teaser. He's a funny guy. Btw, when he started fighting with Barbz on socials less than a week after his Nicki collab dropped ...... that's a moment I won't forget. :rip:

A. G. Cook - Apple (electronic, art pop, glitch pop etc.)

highlights: "Oh Yeah"; "Xxoplex"

PC Music mastermind/god producer A. G. probably stayed busier working on projects this year than anyone else I can name. As for whether this album contained his best work; not sure, but plenty of it is interesting. You can tell this is where he slotted a lot of his weirdest choices, but it manages to still register as some strain of pop. I like the Oneohtrix cover ("Animals")! I love you A.G.

Ok and last one I forgot about because it's brand new:

5056167129325_T9_Image.jpg

Bladee & Mechatok - Good Luck (electropop, dance-pop)

highlight: "God"

Would not have expected Bladee to be a most-played artist of mine this year at all. However, the man kept pumping out releases to keep his fans fed and now I am pretty much one of them. Also wouldn't have expected such a dancey, poppy direction - but it works well for a short project. Maybe not that huge a surprise that he would venture into some bubblegum bass-esque production territory at some point. He continues to evolve!!!

i think Pheobe's album was okay, I do like her and i was oddly very into the indie folksy/rock whatever that a lot of people did in this year :skull: nice highlight as well.

WILL listen to Zebra yes.  Also will check out Bladee i think!

Personally I thought Positions sounded like unfinished demos. Every song, the whole album.

The kind of Pop Soul that's kind of an embarrassment to the entire genre of Rhythm & Blues. 

11 minutes ago, minho said:

i think Pheobe's album was okay, I do like her and i was oddly very into the indie folksy/rock whatever that a lot of people did in this year :skull: nice highlight as well.

WILL listen to Zebra yes.  Also will check out Bladee i think!

I feel like you will like some Bladee songs and not others (so I mean same as most people?). Luckily that one's a short project either way. We may be seeing a bit more of him.

Yeah the folksy/rock stuff... I have to be honest, I ignored most of it all year (at least with some of the main ones hyped by press) and only came back at the very end. There was just other stuff which was more exciting to me. Not Phoebe's fault cuz she's a talented girl. I don't remember if I listened to her whole debut, honestly - maybe half of it? So I can't say which of hers I prefer yet.

Main event.

2020 sucked, etc etc. - But these were my top 75 albums.

City%20on%20Lock_City%20Girls%20.jpg

75. City Girls - City on Lock

(trap)

Highlights: Come Outside, Enough/Better, Jobs

Starting things off with City Girls LP3 and their first since JT getting out. While "Act Up" is still their magnum opus, a few songs on here come close enough such as the 2-part opener. A fun time where everybody does about what you'd expect.

a2337467203_10.jpg

74. Knxwledge - 1988

(instrumental hip hop)

Highlight: Itkanbe (Sonice)

Nostalgic beats from the producer half of NxWorries with Anderson .Paak (who makes one appearance here). Fans of these types of beats ate this year with a lot of strong "retro" hip hop imo.

find%20the%20sun_deradoorian.jpg

73. Deradoorian - Find the Sun

(psychedelic rock)

Highlights: The Illuminator, Devil's Market

She was in Dirty Projectors, and now she's off doing her thing. I picked up a "wandering the desert" vibe from this album for sure. It also makes me think of riddles. She executed a strong vision, I think.

Future_-_High_Off_Life.png

72. Future - High Off Life

(trap)

Highlights: Solitaires (f/ Travis Scott), All Bad (f/ Lil Uzi)

Commercially this was very: Life Is Good, the album, along with some other bonus tracks that pulled streams tacked on at the end. For me: I didn't care for that song that much, but as for the project itself: it has tricks to offer a Future fan the same way most of his albums do. According to Spotify I was a day-one #Futurehive, so guilty as charged. Travis song is my fav here. The rest is standard, put-it-on-shuffle-while-you-do-something material.

Mordechai_Khruangbin.jpg

71. Khruangbin - Mordechai

(psychedelic rock)

Highlight: Pelota, So We Won't Forget

Probably a tough band on paper for those with dyslexia, and also one who surprised me with their popularity this year. Easy to listen to, though. At first I had this pegged as some chill, #vibey Spotify-core brand of background music; but I got over that pretty quick - and found either some depth or something else that pulled me into the tunes. It might have been the tone of the jangles, or the singer's voice or who knows. I bet that not everyone will like every single Psych-Rock album on my list this year, but at least the genre spanned some high profile releases, and i'd hope than everybody would find something to like about one of them.

• ATRL Moderator

wait does this mean there are 100+ albums!? :jonny: 

i had no idea deeradorian was in dirty projectors, but i liked her album.  tbh, i listened bc you were the only friend on my rym list that gave it a score so i felt like i could trust u.  

and yes, the shygirl track IS the best.

didn’t really like the khruangbin album, thought it was kinda boring :katie: 

Chromatica getting some love :clap3: pretty strong pop record :clap3:

Kehlani kinda disappointed everyone with her follow-up, but I think there's still some very good tracks, I still in love with James Blake collab

Punisher :clap3: 

Mordechai is a strong contender for AOTY. We'll find out. :fonso:

Glad you found the mojo to do that many albums this year. Can't really say i'm familiar with the majority of current 2020 albums posted atm but to speak on some hms, I listened to apple but i can't connect to it as much as 7G. I'm still getting used to the vocals too. Phoebe and all the other indie-folk stuff is not something i'm checking for in the current decade. 

Lemme add Deradoorian to my album list!

So many people loved Mordechai. Maybe I should give it another chance.

EPs: Ms. Kish has been in her bag with her last two EP releases! Can't wait for the full length (hopefully next year). I haven't fully gotten into Channel Tres but what I have heard, I liked quite a bit! He even dropped another EP like last week or smth

Gonna give Bree Runway a spin considering so many of the indieheauxs stan her down it seems :eek: 

If Feet of Clay is more like SRS then I'm gonna have to pass. Hate that I'm not really fond of his new material but I'll always have Earl, Doris, and IDLSIDGO :heart: 

HMs:

Positions :clap3: It got quite the backlash but it's still a solid album. I also think this is a fine place for PG; didn't really care for much of this album but he's a grower for me so I'll give it another spin eventually.

Still have yet to give Phoebe a listen but I likely will in the future. Interested in that Mr. Mfn Exquire guy. I've seen his name thrown around here and there but never really sat down and listened to his music so I might give that album a try!

Albums: Haven't listened to any of these but I have Khruangbin's album downloaded since I loved their 2017 album!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.