HONESTLY, 2020 - Finished!!

TRF.

LOVE Charli's "Claws" such a good song. I thought it was messy at first but it grew on me to be catchy.

Future Nostalgia has just VERY recently grown on me and so I am loving it!!

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TRF.

• Sunderland 4ever

• SLIME

• madonnas

JXXJE3A.png 

TOP 100 SINGLES

#25.

Chloe x Halle

"Do It"

Genre: Contemporary R&B

from 'Ungodly Hour'

This song was pretty big, but it should have been much bigger honestly. One of the best hooks of the year, also I may or may not have learned the choreography to this.

#24.

Bree Runway

"Little Nokia"

Genre: Electropop, Industrial Rock, Contemporary R&B

from '2000AND4EVA'

This is what I imagine the Aaliyah and Trent Reznor collab that almost happened sounded like. EASYFUN truly went off on the production.

#23.

Oklou

"Unearth Me"

Genre: Alternative R&B, Art Pop

from 'Galore'

Almost all the mixtape this song is from feels like a warm hug, but this probably the most comfortable yet enormous sounding of all of them.

#22.

Namasenda

"Wanted"

Genre: Happy Hardcore, Uplifting Trance, Nu Style Gabber

I always wanted Namasenda to do some intense, insane stuff like this and I'm so glad she has, her and Himera are a perfect match. Best PC Music single released this year, nothing comes close.

#21.

Yves Tumor

"Kerosene!" (feat. Diana Gordon)

Genre: Art Rock, Neo-Psychedelia

Yves Tumor and the artist formerly known as Wynter Gordon joining together is such a merge of my 2011 and 2020 interests. And they really delivered on that promise, what a duo...

#20.

Arca

"Mequetrefe"

Genre: Deconstructed Club, Latin Electronic

from 'KiCk i'

Some of the craziest vocal production in of all KiCk i, really great mix of the Stretch-era style of production with a more reggaeton vibe, love that for her.

#19.

Lil Baby

"The Bigger Picture"

Genre: Trap, Political Hip Hop

from 'My Turn'

Honestly not something I could have seen coming from Lil Baby but as imperfect as it may be, this is surely one of the best songs released this year that have to do with the Black Lives Matter movement.

#18.

Eartheater

"How to Fight"

Genre: Avant-Folk, Psychedelic Folk

from 'Phoenix: Flames Are Dew Upon My Skin'

A friend of mine described this song as Lana Del Rey if she was edgier and got into noise music or something. He strangely didn't word this as praise.

#17.

Bladee

"Girls Just Want to Have Fun" (feat. Ecco2k)

Genre: Synthpop

Now that The Knife, iamamiwhoami, Niki and the Dove and Kate Boy are inactive, Bladee and Ecco2k have rightfully taken the throne as the best Swedish synthpop duo.

#16.

Cindy Lee

"Heavy Metal"

Genre: Hypnagogic Pop, Dream Pop

from 'What's Tonight to Eternity'

Have I, in the past 12 months, listened to this song multiple times while laying on my bed in the total darkness? Cannot confirm nor deny.

#15.

Miley Cyrus

"Midnight Sky"

Genre: Synthpop, Electropop

from 'Plastic Hearts'

This is literally everything I have ever wanted from her?? The hook on this song is so good it's unreal, one of the defining pop songs of 2020.

#14.

Cecile Believe

"Last Thing He Said to Me in Person"

Genre: Alternative R&B, Art Pop

from 'Made in Heaven'

I'm not fully sure I liked any song on the Cecile Believe EP as much as I loved this one, but there is something so charming about this song, its production, its lyrics about American people, I'm addicted.

#13.

Dua Lipa

"Physical"

Genre: Synthpop, Dance-Pop, Electropop

from 'Future Nostalgia'

This song is 80's synthpop through the eyes of late 00's electropop made in 2020. And you know what? That's what Future Nostalgia is all about. The "come on, hold on" bridge is perfect.

#12.

Jessie Ware

"Spotlight"

Genre: Dance-Pop, Nu-Disco

from 'What's Your Pleasure?'

The arrangements! The vocals! The hooks! This is is truly what disco heaven is supposed to sound like.

#11.

Fiona Apple

"Shameika"

Genre: Art Pop, Progressive Pop

from 'Fetch the Bolt Cutters'

The whole story behind this song is wholesome as hell, but the fact that the song is this song makes everything about it even better.

Shameika, Spotlight, Physical all made my top 20 :party:

The Bigger Picture isn't really my thing, but I can appreciate it

JXXJE3A.png

TOP 50 ALBUMS

Luedji Luna - Bom Mesmo É Estar Debaixo D'Água Lyrics and Tracklist | Genius

STREAM

#10.

Luedji Luna

Bom mesmo é estar debaixo d'água

Genre: MPB, Vocal Jazz

Afoxé, Afro-Jazz, Neo-Soul

Label: self-released || Country: Brazil

Luedji Luna, singer/songwriter from Salvador, recorded her second album Bom mesmo é estar debaixo d'água (Portuguese for "it's good to be underwater") while pregnant with her first child, and released it while the pandemic was still very strong in her native Brazil. And as much as there was (and still is) a lot going on in everyone's lives, there is no way this album was going to get lost in the shuffle. Made with the collaboration of Kenyan guitarist Kato Change, this album captures your attention straight away with the most wonderful arrangements possible. Lyrically, this record deals with the struggles of being a Black Brazilian woman in an age where oversexualization, violence and misogynoir are very present still, all of this tied to a concept surrounding water and finding comfort. Even when the music sounds fun or relaxing, there is still a lot Luedji has to say.

Highlights: "Tirania", "Chororo", "Ain't Got No", "Ain't I a Woman?", "Recado", "Bom mesmo é estar debaixo d'água", "Erro", "Goteira"

You'll like it if you like: Xênia França, Milton Nascimento, Erykah Badu

Klô Pelgag - Notre-Dame-des-Sept-Douleurs — Mickey's Weekly

BUY

#09.

Klô Pelgag

Notre-Dame-des-Sept-Douleurs

Genre: Art Pop, Progressive Pop, Baroque Pop

Nouvelle chanson francaise, Synthpop, Singer/Songwriter

Label: Secret City || Country: Canada

The third album by French-Canadian musician Klô Pelgag was inspired by an island she was afraid of as a kid, with the name of Notre-Dame-des-Sept Douleurs. Upon visiting that island and realizing most of what she scared of was just fantasies, she took this as a representation of overcoming her fears. For the most part written and recorded while she was pregnant, this album is one of the weirdest, coolest-sounding "pop"-adjacent records released in 2020, with sounds both as maximalist and minimalist as possible. Far from the folk-y stuff of her earlier material, you can get tracks that sound like catchy Regina Spektor-y indie-pop and then turn into terrifying drone music, free improvisation and lots and lots of synths. It's honestly a beautiful and fun journey to go through.

Highlights: "Rémora", "Umami", "Á l'ombre des cypres", "Soleil", "Für Élise", "Mélamine", "Oú vas-tu quand tu dors?", "La maison jaune"

You'll like it if you like: Kate Bush, Julia Holter, St. Vincent

Murphy's Law by Róisín Murphy on Amazon Music - Amazon.co.uk

STREAM

#08.

Róisín Murphy

Róisín Machine

Genre: Nu-Disco

Deep House, Funky House, Dance-Pop, Art Pop

Label: Mickey Murphy's Daughter || Country: Ireland

"I feel my story's still untold / but I make my own happy ending"

Since her comeback in 2014, Róisín Murphy has released a lot of (great) music, but probably nothing felt as immediate and as direct as her latest full-length, Róisín Machine. Recorded over the past ten years, featuring songs initially released in 2012, this record feels like a DJ set made in the sweatiest of clubs, capturing its vibe to a tee, while paying homage to both her legacy in the dance music scene and the genre's black and queer origins. There have been many records released this year that were influenced by disco and house music, but none of them were as good and original and very few were as true to its origins as this one was.

Highlights: "Simulation", "Kingdom of Ends", "Something More", "Shellfish Mademoiselle", "Incapable", "We Got Together", "Jealousy"

You'll like it if you like: Moloko, Donna Summer, DJ Koze

a3442408895_16.jpg

BUY

#07.

Zebra Katz

Less Is Moor

Genre: Experimental Hip Hop, UK Bass

Industrial Hip Hop, Deconstructed Club, Trap, Glitch Hop, Hip House, Noise

Label: ZFK || Country: USA

After at least 8 years since the classic and influential "Ima Read", American-born, Berlin-based rapper and producer Zebra Katz's debut album Less Is Moor comes charged up with insane beats, which go from trap to noise, from Brazilian baile funk to Russian hardbass and much more, courtesy of trendy producers like Sega Bodega or Torus. But most importantly, he has the bars to match them, showing off lots of both style and substance, a lot of charisma and personality that make it easily one of the most fun listening experiences of this year. I was honestly surprised with this, it's definitely experimental and "edgy" but it's always enjoyable, Zebra really came through with one of the best rap albums of 2020.

Highlights: "Ish", "Lousy", "Blush", "Zad Drumz", "Moor", "No 1 Else", "Upp", "Been Known", "Lick It N Split" (feat. Shygirl), "Exit 2 Void"

You'll like it if you like: JPEGMAFIA, Azealia Banks, Arca, Shygirl

a1309922862_16.jpg

BUY

#06.

Desire Marea

Desire

Genre: Art Pop, Deconstructed Club

Ambient Pop, Gqom, IDM, Alternative R&B, Noise

Label: self-released || Country: South Africa

South African musician Desire Marea is known for being 1/2 of the gqom and performance art duo FAKA, under which they have put out several bangers. However, Desire, the artist's first solo record, explores a different route, one based more on self-reflection and definitely a more openly experimental one. This record constantly alternates between harsh club beats, dark ambience, and ethereal pop numbers with beautiful and sometimes even absurdly catchy moments, addressing the Desire Marea's own experience as a queer, black person, alternating between English and Zulu from track to track. I am pretty certain this was the first album released in 2020 I heard this year, and it's probably one of the ones that stuck with me the most, for good reason.

Highlights: "Zibuyile Izimakade", "You Think I'm Horny", "Tavern Kween", "The Void", "Ntokozo", "Studies in Black Trauma"

You'll like it if you like: Arca, Jenny Hval, Moses Sumney, Lotic, Nídia

Charli XCX / how i'm feeling now – jenesaispop.com

STREAM

#05.

Charli XCX

how i'm feeling now

Genre: Electropop, Bubblegum Bass

Alternative R&B, Glitch Pop, Deconstructed Club, Pop Rap

Label: Atlantic || Country: UK

If you know anything about her you know it's not the first time Charli XCX came up with something really quick, but her coming up with (almost) all this from scratch in a few weeks makes it even more impressive. how i'm feeling now might not be pop music "from the future", but more present than ever, dealing with the current quarantine/virus situation, yet making it relatable to every moment when we miss our friends and lovers. It still has the experimental production characteristic of many of her projects with A.G. Cook, with additional collaborators like Danny L Harle, Dylan Brady or B.J. Burton, but talks about her mental state during early quarantine (feels so long ago doesn't it?) in such a personal way. It's one of the definitive records of the pandemic, and one that will linger on afterwards.

Highlights: "pink diamond", "forever", "claws", "7 years", "detonate", "i finally understand", "party 4 u", "visions"

You'll like it if you like: SOPHIE, Britney Spears, BANKS, 100 gecs, Hannah Diamond

ORCORARA 2010 | Elysia Crampton Chuquimia

BUY

#04.

Elysia Crampton

ORCORARA 2010

Genre: Ambient, Progressive Electronic, Experimental

Post-Minimalism, Poetry, Post-Industrial, Indigenous Andean Music

Label: PAN || Country: USA

Aymara-American experimental electronic musician Elysia Crampton's longest, most expansive release to date, ORCORARA 2010 is a piece that stays away from the chaotic club-collages of her earlier work in favor of a more ambient-leaning sound, yet maintains its same busyness and edge her music has always been known for. Dealing with the intergenerational trauma inflicted on indigenous people of the Americas by colonialism and Christianity, Elysia continues to remind us that she's one of the most important electronic music artists of our time.

Highlights: "Dog Clouds" (feat. Jeremy Rojas), "Grove" (feat. Embaci), "Homeless (Q'ara)", "Amaru Otorongo (Dried Pine)", "Crucifixion" (feat. Shannon Funchess), "Spring of Wound" (feat. Siete-Octavos), "Abolition (Infrared)"

You'll like it if you like: Tim Hecker, Los Kjarkas, Meredith Monk, Kelly Moran

Fiona Apple - Fetch the Bolt Cutters | Críticas Discos | El Quinto Beatle

STREAM

#03.

Fiona Apple

Fetch the Bolt Cutters

Genre: Art Pop, Progressive Pop, Singer/Songwriter

Cabaret, Piano Rock, Jazz Pop, Experimental Rock

Label: Epic || Country: USA

I feel like almost everything that anyone could ever possibly say about Fiona Apple's fifth record, Fetch the Bolt Cutters, has already been said from one extent to another. But it really cannot be overstated how excellent this album is. This has the quality songwriting Fiona has been always known for, but with the most interesting and unashamedly weird instrumentation she's ever been on, with lyrics discussing struggles she and many more women have faced in our society, and the solidarity between them that is necessary. Again, you don't need me to point this out, as multiple publications and people have, but... it truly is impressive how consistently great she is crafting music, making one of the highlights of her career almost three decades into it, but it should not come as a surprise, since she's always been excellent.

Highlights: "I Want You to Love Me", "Shameika", "Under the Table", "Relay", "Ladies", "Heavy Balloon", "Cosmonauts", "For Her", "On I Go"

You'll like it if you like: Kate Bush, Regina Spektor, Tom Waits

Room for the Moon | KATE NV

BUY

#02.

Kate NV

Room for the Moon

Synthpop, Progressive Electronic, New Wave, Ambient Pop

Label: RVNG Intl. || Country: Russia

для FOR, the second album of Russian artist Kate Shilonosova, better known as Kate NV was, for the most part, a minimalist ambient ode to the city of Moscow. But her third record Room for the Moon feels like a 180°, or at least on first glance. It definitely seems to expand on the pop parts of her debut album, Binasu, with a stronger presence of live instrumentation, saxophones and basslines. But it also has the soft, electronic textures that characterize her solo work, elevating this way beyond most other experimental pop records in the past year. In a world where everything has gone to hell and back, it was refreshing how colorful and positive this could sound. "Russian bloomer music", if you will.

Highlights: "Sayonara", "Ca Commence Par", "Marafon 15", "Lu Na", "Plans", "If Anyone's Sleepy", "Telefon"

You'll like it if you like: Ryuichi Sakamoto, Lizzy Mercier Descloux, Talking Heads, Glintshake

a0934507009_16.jpg

BUY

#01.

Yves Tumor

Heaven to a Tortured Mind

Genre: Neo-Psychedelia, Art Rock

Hypnagogic Pop, Glam Rock, Psychedelic Soul, Experimental Rock, Post-Punk

Label: Warp || Country: USA

I have been following Yves Tumor since 2016, and while their music remained experimental since the very beginning, it has also gotten progressively more accessible, culminating in their 2018 masterpiece Safe in the Hands of Love. This is by far the most traditionally pop/rock thing Yves Tumor has ever done but the experimentation that characterizes the music is still present... and it's great. With straight-up rock ballads like "Kerosene!" or "Strawberry Privilege" to glitchy, noisy bits like "Folie Imposée" or "Medicine Burn", Heaven to a Tortured Mind is an album that doesn't sacrifice character or uniqueness for a mainstream sound, but one that eases a mainstream sound into a forward-thinking concept.

Highlights: "Gospel for a New Century", "Medicine Burn", "Kerosene!", "Hasdallen Lights", "Dream Palette", "Folie Imposeé", "Strawberry Privilege", "A Greater Love"

You'll like it if you like: Lightning Bolt, Tame Impala, Ariel Pink, Prince

JXXJE3A.png 

TOP 100 SINGLES

#10.

Rubio

"IR"

Genre: Latin Electronic, Electropop

from 'Mango negro'

One of, if not my most played song released this year. There is something about the reggaeton-esque beat of this song and its message of letting go of the pains of the past that resonates with me.

#09.

Bad Bunny

"Dákiti" (feat. Jhay Cortez)

Genre: Alternative R&B, Dancehall

from 'El último tour del mundo'

There are many Bad Bunny singles I could have chosen, but this was kind of a no brainer for me. Easily one of the best hit songs of the year. Someone described this as "darkwave reggaeton" and like, that's all I need.

#08.

Kate NV

"Plans"

Genre: Synthpop, Art Pop

from 'Room for the Moon'

This song sounds so effortlessly cool. A song about how life changes and we sometimes have no control over it felt really relatable this year, and the sick sax solos and synth melodies really own.

#07.

Róisín Murphy

"Something More"

Genre: Deep House, Art Pop

from 'Róisín Machine'

Probably one of the poppiest songs on the new Róisín Murphy record, a song about needing something more in life even when it might seem you have a lot, which greatly illustrates one of my deepest fears lol.

#06.

Shygirl

"Freak"

Genre: Industrial Hip Hop, Hip House, UK Bass

from 'ALIAS'

Wants me to smash my head against a wall, in the best way possible.

#05.

Rina Sawayama

"XS"

Genre: Contemporary R&B, Dance-Pop

from 'SAWAYAMA'

This song couldn't have come at a better time, what at first might seem like a celebration of excess, is a critique of capitalism and consumerism. The clash between the 00's pop sound and the metal guitars really illustrate that well. It's really genius I think.

#04.

Charli XCX

"Forever"

Genre: Electropop, Glitch Pop

from 'how i'm feeling now'

Written and recorded during the beginning of quarantine, this really captures the feeling of missing your friends and loved ones desperately, I feel like even way after the pandemic I'll still relate.

#03.

Yves Tumor

"Gospel for a New Century"

Genre: Art Rock, Neo-Psychedelia

from 'Heaven to a Tortured Mind'

I always knew Yves Tumor was destined for greatness but this is what convinced me they were a rockstar. Fantastically written pop rock song, feels intense yet insanely catchy all at the same time.

#02.

Klô Pelgag

"Rémora"

from 'Heaven to a Tortured Mind'

Starts out as a catchy, new wave-y indie pop song then slowly starts building onto something else, less "quirky" and more straight up "weird". Then the bridge hits.

#01.

Christine and the Queens

"People, I've Been Sad"

Genre: Synthpop, Alternative R&B

from 'La vita nuova'

Is there anyone for whom 2020 has been a "not sad" year to one extent or another? I legitimately cannot think of anyone.

This year was really tough for me and it came out in the right moment for me. It's a sad song, sure, but doesn't see sadness as something that lasts forever, but as one of the feelings that are natural for us, and brings a little bit of hope for the future without being corny.

I'm not really surprised at the fact that this song was on almost all year end lists, I'm glad it resonated with many people as it did with me.

Do It and LITTLE NOKIA starting off the top 25, absolutely! :smitten: Yup, Do It should've been a smash & hopefully Bree will blow up even more this year. Midnight Sky, Physical & Spotlight nearly in a row :jonny5: Well Spotlight is great but I'm not OBSESSED with it like most people are. The other 2 are pop excellence though. || I checked out some Róisín songs months ago but they didn't connect with me :katie: I was hoping the same gays that hyped up Jessie would get me into her as well. Also couldn't get into Yves Tumor. Not completely in love with how i'm feeling now but it starts & ends very nicely, and then has a few cute gems in the middle (as well as some of the weakest tracks.) The first 3 tracks, detonate & visions in your highlights :clap3: XS + forever in your top 5 singles :party:

Nice lists overall + Happy new year! :foxaylove:

XS & Forever :clap3:

Christine and Fiona were two of my favorite artists this year :clap3:

I really wasn't checking for Fiona honestly even though I had liked some of her music in the past. That was a great surprise.

I don't like Charli, but I listened to Forever and I can see why people would like it

Dakiti has an interesting sound, it doesn't sound like the typical reggaeton music would (or at least what I've heard, I don't claim to be an expert lol)

oklou's 'unearth me' making your list :clap3:physical + spotlight missing out on the top 10 :'(

i tried roísín's & fiona's albums, but nothing really hooked me from either.

charli's album is very great, forever is def a standout from it :heart2:

your lists are always my favorites when it comes to discovering new stuff (especially from the non-US/UK based artists)

...which is also why I'm not gonna make a lengthy comment :skull: I have too much catching up to do but you did serve as usual

Imma go through your song list later since it's probably a better starting point for some new music lol

Thanks to everyone who's commented on this :heart: I appreciate each ones of you!!

What great lists! :clap3:

Definitely a lot of material here for me to check out.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.