mokis best of 2020 | FINAL update - AOTY/SOTY revealed !

mokitsu

Spoiler
4 hours ago, Ewan Chaos said:

Run the Jewels, Christine, and Gabriel deserved better! But happy to see them have a little inclusion.

That Kali EP... I'm just glad her album was, uh, ACTUALLY good.

mess, i enjoyed kali's ep. it has strong songs!!! but i agree, the album was much better.

6 hours ago, Tom Vercetti said:

Fitting HMs. That Jaar album wasn't my thing. I like his microhouse material a lot more than his ambient/glitchy approach. The way Jay's album has been hyped up for that long only for it to be a Nas - Nasir level flop :rip: 

i liked cenizas, it reminded me a bit of thom yorke's suspiria album which i also loved. i think he released another album this year that i hated tho :rip:

7 hours ago, Legend E said:

The Invisible Man is SOOO good :WAP: 

Miss Cyrus too low

maybe if she released a better album

https://i.imgur.com/xWB7S4D.gif

9 hours ago, Remmy said:

Movie of the Year~ Birds of Prey was enjoyable :alexz3: Expected more/better from Invisible Man, especially as someone that doesn't go into the horror genre often (even though it wasn't scary)
Disappointments~ Just started commenting on threads tonight and I've already seen way too much Cape God shade :mandown: Very upsetting! Agreed with Positions. Smile could've been stronger but it's a big upgrade over Witness for me.
H. Mentions~ Jaguar, Plastic Hearts and VELVET :heart: :heart: :heart:

Ready for more :foxaylove:

velvet soooooo underrated in this site, quality male  pop. comin in hot >>>>>>>>>>>

9 hours ago, elvenOCEAN said:

Smile is truly one of the biggest disappointment of the year.

Perfect description of Fiona Apple's album!

EDIT: Hold on! Plastic Hearts only on 'honourable mentions' list?? :biblio:

12 hours ago, dreamofyou said:

not plastic hearts being an honourable mention:emofish:

i only cared for the singles in PH + angels like you basically

12 hours ago, Rotunda said:

I May Destroy You was definitely one of the most important shows I watched during quarantine. It was triggering and kinda hard to sit through, but I loved it. 

michaela coel is amazing. hope it gets recognized at the emmys next year

12 hours ago, Delta said:

I haven't gotten to watch I May Destroy you yet due to the same fear, but now based on your review I'll give it a chance. I loved Michaela Coel on Chewing Gum.

it's definitely a though watch, it can be very triggering. but i loved it

14 hours ago, Staryu said:

Invisible Man was fun, the scientologist can act well 

ozqMI6U.gif

they need to pay for her oscar already

15 hours ago, Vilppu said:

the invisible man very good. hopefully not the last movie i ever see at a cinema but hey could think of a worse farewell

disappointments absolutely on point minus fione 

vaccine coming to stomp :gaycat6:

16 hours ago, miguel said:

love your movie highlights, Invisible Man is definitely one of the most thrilling movies I've watched this year and completely not what I was expecting from its title. 

Remind me to check out "I May Destroy You", seems quite interesting based on your description :keir:

i will :gaycat6:

16 hours ago, minho said:

nice honourable mentions already!

LOONA are my favourite of the list, this was probably their best release as a full group for me

Kali Uchis' EP was nice, I didn't return to it but I did enjoy it

Park Hye Jin :minho: love love love

RTJ4 was actually really good jfjfjf, at first I was like hmmm but then it grew on me more.  Has a few select greats

oh wow you liked # more than 12:00? 12 went harder on the ITZYprint but i enjoyed it more

16 hours ago, clue said:

The Slow Rush a major grower mhm

is it?

0ARpelP.gif

17 hours ago, Maddox said:

I've said this b4 but I May Destroy You is the most i've felt incomfortable in terms of binge watching experience in quite a while! Phenomenal show :worship:

yeah i devoured it in two days. still thinking about that finale..

17 hours ago, Blue Rose said:

These honorable mentions :jonny5:

Loved Kali’s EP even if she didn’t make my list.

sepentwithfeet was disappointing imo 

Love the Raveena stanning 

i loved psychic from serpent's. i like him in small doses so this EP was perfect for me

18 hours ago, Supervillain said:

Fiona can choke x

0ARpelP.gif

but now we said it

0ARpelP.gif

19 hours ago, KasioKas said:

Jaguar & Bare with me didn't make it? :emofish:

jaguar was a bit disjointed for me nn and bare with me is definitely good, it would've been included if i had made a top 50

19 hours ago, Sunderland 4ever said:

I recognize many Nicolas Jaar, Laura Marling and Park Hye Jin. How Can I was a fine EP.

i loved laura marling's album so much. i was so happy when she got nominated for AOTY at the mercury prize

20 hours ago, jpow said:

Some really strong albums in your honorable mentions!  Christine should have made the final list :emofish:

i relistened when i was choosing the top 10 and realized i didn't care much for it except la vita nuova :rip:

20 hours ago, Psycho said:

Plastic Hearts, TWICE, LOONA :clap3:

0ARpelP.gif

0ARpelP.gif

20 hours ago, BlackoutZone said:

Some good stuff there, I don't mind any of these being "just" honorable mention

Love to see Looney tunes making it

anticipate the new update!

0ARpelP.gif

20 hours ago, ikiru said:

nct, miley and yaeji :clap3:they should’ve made it to the main list :mandown:

21 hours ago, diogozsz said:

not Resonance Pt. 1 being only on the HM section

0ARpelP.gif

NCT came the closest, but i just got into it so it didn't feel fair :shakeno:

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mokitsu

• madonnas

• Alex

• Psycho

Top Posters In This Topic

gonna start the main list rn! it's 10 eps, 50 songs and 40 albums. enjoy :coffee:

BbzeOkf.png

g-idle have one of the most solid cohesive discographies in k-pop at the moment, and you can always expect quality from them. with "i trust", their third ep, they attempted at a darker sound, that ends up being borderline funny sometimes: "luv u" is a head-scratching moment, and "oh my god" is one of those k-pop tracks that sound like a mashup of three great songs. however, after getting used to those "wtf" moments, "i trust" is a great and short listen, and especially rewarding once their best and most epic song "lion" rolls in at the end.

favorite tracks: lion, oh my god

PlXksN7.png

what happens when the most and least talented members of the best kpop group make an ep together? "monster" is a solid, if underwhelming, addition to red velvet's excellent catalogue, and while it doesn't really cover any new territory for them (you can probably find a song that sounds similar to any of these 5 tracks in their discography, except perhaps "monster", the dubstep experiment gone slightly wrong), it's still nice to hear seulgi shine, and her solo song is definitely the main highlight of this project. it's vulnerable, with great lyrics and lowkey a gay anthem. vocally, irene can't really compare to her and always sound a little bit flat, but is more convincing than ever - when she says "i'm a little monster", you definitely believe it.

favorite tracks: diamond, uncover

ZVTAfS7.png

while i'm sure most fans can agree that loona's output this year isn't quite up to the standards they set with their past material, 12:00 does a much better job at executing ITZY leftovers than [#] did (hide & seek and oops! are genuine bangers), and the two midtempos in this ep are excellent and classic loona. the true star - no pun intended - of the ep is "voice", a great and fresh interpretation of the powerful 80s bangers trend that tracks like dua's "physical" ushered in. while loona compromising their artistry for more digestible, trendy songs is an understandble way to stay afloat, i still have hopes they experiment more with the unique synthpop sound they had a few years ago.

favorite tracks: fall again, universe, voice

FFLMvyZ.png

i was just as shocked as everyone else when everglow decided to become artists in 2020. i'll get into "la di da" later, but each of these four tracks is incredible and of note, not only experimenting a bit with the already mentioned retro and 80s synthwave trend that is also taking over kpop, but also hip hop and r&b with "gxxd boy", and more successfully with the powerful closer "no good reason". i think this is definitely a release that non-kpop fans can (and should) get behind.

favorite tracks: la di da, no good reason

f8uFLpt.png

i love the format of eps because i feel like artists are free to explore different sounds and genres with 4 or 5 songs, and there's not as much pressure to deliver a cohesive narrative as there is with an album. "die 4 ur love" is a perfect example of this! after breaking up with her label shortly after releasing her sophomore album last year, "la linda" (which... wasn't that good tbh) tei shi quickly headed back to the studio and made this giant "**** you" to them. i find it to be her most polished and focused release, with great inescapable pop hooks - and with folksy latin pop, dream pop, 80s synth and alternative r&b tracks, there's certainly something here for everyone.

favorite tracks: ok crazy, goodbye, die 4 ur love

Y8zmGgd.png

i already mentioned "fetch the bolt cutters" in my disappointments list, but i felt like i had to include this. the opening track actually left me so happy and so hopeful for the rest of the album, and it's the one that resembles her past material the most, with a simple but infectious piano riff, gorgeous strings and a stunning vocal performance by fiona.

GvcK35T.png

towards the end of ariana's maligned sixth studio album "positions" there's "west side", a song so short that could be passed as an interlude a few years ago. the simple, harmony-heavy track reminds me of drake or kehlani's best midtempo jams, and it cleverly samples aaliyah's equally nocturnal classic "one in a million". definitely a highlight in this album.

DiDwVyY.png

a lady gaga and blackpink collaboration should NOT have been this good. it's not a meeting of the minds by any means, and its lyrical content is laughably weak but the sheer novelty of a korean lady gaga song, her dramatic operatic vocals (that, for once, work) and the ****ing house garage beat with those screams sprinkled in are just... chefs kiss

K0qxrFu.png

after the tragically generic era that was "so sad so sexy", it's great to see lykke li returning to her art pop roots, and in her mother tongue too! i don't understand a word of this song, but it has the melancholic, bittersweet feel of her best songs and the progressive build up in production is just marvelous. really excited for whatever she has in store.

EgAdrvO.png

my favorite latina with my favorite fake latina.... what can i say other than that this is a perfect mixture of their sounds? one thing i love about rosalía is that she's not afraid to experiment - just look at all her singles since her album - but this arca feature was both unexpected and exciting. this track is insane, it keeps mutating into something different and coming back to its hook, to the point where it feels like a bad acid trip at a club - the perfect soundtrack if the movie "climax" was made in latin america. love it.

G-iggle noise, Seulrene kinda aged, 12:00 gowns, but also bops, everglow stomped, but that mini is so short..

I Want You To Love Me is an amazing opener and yes especially, because of the beautiful piano riff, but no wonder you feel the difference between it and majority of Fetch since it originally comes from Idler Wheel sessions :mandown: I actually prefer the original live version she performed years ago to the album version too.

west side mega boring, sorry Ariola

Sour Candy and klk big bops

Bron did not hit me like it hit most, but I'm still excited for her even if the next album won't be an english one

1 hour ago, BlackoutZone said:

12:00 gowns

not the switch on loona :biblio: don't tell me you prefer #

1 hour ago, BlackoutZone said:

I Want You To Love Me is an amazing opener and yes especially, because of the beautiful piano riff, but no wonder you feel the difference between it and majority of Fetch since it originally comes from Idler Wheel sessions :mandown: I actually prefer the original live version she performed years ago to the album version too.

mess :jonny: that makes sense though, it has a completely different vibe. i just listened to the live and it's pretty similar, but i like how it's more stripped back but also more intense with the piano only.

38 minutes ago, ikiru said:

yes everglow :clap3:they did a full 180 and absolutely deserve the praise :jonny5:

yes, they need to steer clear from the blackpink rejects like dun dun from now on

Y8cRzeV.gif

3 minutes ago, mokitsu said:

not the switch on loona :biblio: don't tell me you prefer #

I don't! But I also don't think # is that much worse...  Both projects have better or worse moments, but overall this wasn't the beat year for LOONA :coffee: I'm taking what's served and bopping tho:katie2:

I Trust grew but I don't use

Monster aged

Loona and Everglow classics :clap3:

Sour Candy is cute :)

Arca :clap3: 

Time is my favorite from her album

Sour Candy is a BOP idgaf what anyone says. Lots of kpop girlies ate this year, haven't heard Tei Shi yet so I'll be sure to check her out!

• ATRL Moderator

i don't know if ive ever heard a g idle song.  lemme do my research now :blush:

la linda was such a disappointment!  i am glad she went with a better direction lol..

can't say i was suuuper into the cuts in the la di da ep. 

i LOVE 4/5 of the songs on your update.  haven't heard the lykke one.  honestly klk should be a bit higher.  i was an arca hater until this year but she converted me.

oomf spilling as always yasss, i'm surprised everglow gets this much trash since their debut which i still don't understand, but their latest mini has been a total banger with la di da being a total smash. While OOPS! & Hide & Seek do sound like ITZY rejects they were still done right and total bangers indeed, with Star/Voice also being a good opportunity for them to branch out in different genres as i think this would fit their sound alot. With Universe & Fall Again being perfect songs to drive at the highway at the starry nights. IDLE's I Trust does get corny from time to time but i think that's a thing i like about the mini, it's different from their different minis "I am" & "I made" with this being a more darker style, with Oh my god a good title for it, and Seulrene well let's just say this would have more opportunities for SM to give Red Velvet more units (Manifesting Joy & Yeri unit), this totally fits their sound and even if some songs did get disappointing it still worked well for them as i couldn't imagine Red Velvet as a whole singing the songs, especially Monster.

Die 4 Ur Love :alexz3: A good EP, the title track does some kinda heavy lifting though. Got into her this year & I actually enjoyed La Linda :matty: || There's only a few songs I remember from Positions and west side isn't one of them :keir: But apparently it isn't in my bottom 3. Sour Candy is nice :jamming:

Bron was nice one-off single, but I get tired of it very quickly, I hope she serves another INL with new record :jonny:

Sour Candy issa grower :fan: 

LOONA & Everglow :clap3:

west side YUP deserves more love for sure for sure! Sour Candy also among the best songs both Gaga and BP released this year, which is interesting!

the invisible man and west side stanning :clap3: the tei shi EP sounds promising, i'll have to check that out. also i'm really enjoying the aesthetic of your lists!

Hey worstie! :hug:

I agree with The Ascenscion and The Slow Rush being disappointments, although I can still enjoy the latter when being in the right mood, whereas I only find myself coming back to My Rajneesh for Sufjan this era. I will defend Cape God with all my being, so you know I disagree, but I find your reasoning to be just. Perched to see what's left of your EPs list as it looks promising so far!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.