madonnas best of 2020 - AOTY ANNOUNCED

madonnas

• ATRL Moderator

OKAY, the bubbling under section is officially finished.  ill be doing updates of 10 from now on and the write ups will not be rushed becuase of it.  

Spoiler
1 hour ago, Claw said:

AHHH QUEEN SHYGIRL TAKING THE CROWN!!!

whitney-houston-and-cece-winans-having-a

Sorry I didn't see this update until after the weekend. Yah i just realllly feel these tracks in my pleasure spot too (or at least it's like 5/7). I may agree w/ your fav songs. ... She's carved out a whole lane for herself so she'll def be one to watch. I wonder what she can do with an album now.

1 hour ago, Claw said:

BOY you move so fast. Here I was unaware about the EP list lol. Ok - I didn't know Calvin released projects this year at all. Suga is indeed sharp. Your Itzy description makes me scream and i thought one of Loona's projects this year was fine. I liked Park's EP more than the Planet 1999 one although I like what that one went for too. I rock with Isabella and the neoperreo girls. And yep Christine EP was pretty solid af.

Need to check a few like: Kitty / Cakes / Tei Shi (u think i'd like her?) / Haru / Magdalena / Koto / maybe Blue Hawaii? / INDIA!! for sure.

5 hours ago, Sunderland 4ever said:

Same. I hope they release a new LP next year.

yes you know i had to put her at #1 with that!

so, you should listen to... magdalena, india, cakes, haru, blue hawaii, then the rest in that order.  you WOULD like at least one song on tei shi's album because its all over the place, you're bound to like at least one of the songs.

8 hours ago, BlackoutZone said:

Jesus so MANY songs at once, but I have multiple of these on my list

I really loved STUD initially to the point it was my favorite IAD track, but now that it's all said and done TYH came back to claim the #1 spot

girl i dont wanna od 16 days for songs, gotta speed through the bottom no oiffense to them.

i was really torn between tyh and stud, or both.  i just had to go with my gut :cries: 

9 hours ago, DoctorIce said:

I haven't heard this track yet, but his song 'Warm' is amazing. :sosad:

i have never heard that!  ive only heard the robyn/chanel tres song, and then experience with victoria.  i will do my due dillligence because i loved both of them.

11 hours ago, ARTPØP said:

I agree, WTF Do I Know is a great album opener :clap3:

her best since liberty walk!

11 hours ago, jpow said:

Wait at me just realizing Honey Dijon was on this list too :jonny5: She always delivers!

11 hours ago, K$Ellie said:

Risk It kinda annoying but its tolerable :mandown: Dance x3 and Teary Eyes are both cute but v basic :-*

La Di Da amazing, better than blinding Lights :WAP: Man's World, WTF Do I Know and DJ are nice :jamming:

STUD is a mess but it's so good :katie2: 

the instrumental is so :jonny5: their only song that really HITS for me

yeah they are kinda basic, thats why i had to put them so low, to keep my brand in tact... totally no basic songs in my top 50, nope not at all!

its not better than blinding lights tbh, but its close.

13 hours ago, Blue Rose said:

I didn’t know Confidence Man had dropped a single. Coming to save 2021 :duca: 

Love seeing Jazmine Sullivan. 2021 is shaping up to be STACKED :jonny5:

i hope its an album song, but my gut is telling me its a one-off.  2021 will be just as good as 2020 tbh because we'll still have a lot of stuff that was recorded during quaraintine.

13 hours ago, Born to Run said:

bookmarking this to read at work

Smilers

Webp.net-resizeimage.thumb.jpg.a9fb4fac1

14 hours ago, TheWayWeWere said:

Man's World is one of her bests since Froot :clap3: 

WTF Do I Know is such an stellar opening

Impact :alexz: I hope Robyn going to release something solo next year

Stud has such an amazing production, but I hate the lyrics :rip: 

i used to think honey was overrated but i love it now, so please boryn, save us!

15 hours ago, bestfiction said:

lemme catch up

I lowkey hated Not Shy and It'z Me because of the reasons you listen but it's an interesting perspective to find them refreshiing cause of them being so obnoxious and undercooked. Post-irony at its finest I guess?

the loon/a stanning :clap3:

maybe I should try out the Troye Ep kii. Same for Shygirl but I planned to give her a shot by the time the year ends

'

now onto the sings

teary eyes is deffo one of the better sings on slime

Miss Utada! I've been sleeping on her lately but it's generally hard for me to keep up with standalone singles

Where Does The DJ Go? is very ABBA-esque, I love it but Last Chance does the ABBA style better imo

I wasn't feeling the Park Hye Jin's EP tho :/

n, well there is a certain polish in 99% of kpop releases, so a messy release does come as refreshing to me, but then again, i just like mess and find it an appealing aesthetic and style.  you should DEFINITELY check out shygirl.

i found it hard to keep up with miss utada too, i just focused on that one.  we need another album.  hatsukoi was a huge improvement from fantome.

15 hours ago, Kevin2803 said:

teary eyes, Dance Dance Dance & WTF Do I Know :WAP:

thanks for posting sis :-* 

15 hours ago, Smilers said:

Teary Eyes is one of the few good moments on Frown :thing:

where does the dj go? :WAP:

lmao, frown has a ton of **** singles but nothing else is really an abortion.  wouldn't tell people to listen to any song but teary eyes tho. 

16 hours ago, mokitsu said:

MELT YOURSELF DOWN!!!!!!! Yes!!!!!!!! That song is so ****ing good too! Every single day was my favorite from that project, but whew such a good one.

and screaming at brave girls sneaking in :dies: let me check out the ones i dont know.

i loved the myd album.  super pleased with its sound.  lemme know what you found (and my top 100 will be more descriptive....)

17 hours ago, dreamofyou said:

all bops:clap3:

glad you enjoy!

17 hours ago, ikiru said:

yes shygirl! and I love seeing utada on here :jonny5: everglow are a bit too low :dancehall:

there were too many physical/blinding lights ripoffs this year, there was one better than it though!

19 hours ago, Mezik said:

Kylie came and served pop excellence this year - showing these new girls that they have nothing on legends. :clap3: 

Stud is cute, so is Teary Eyes and 21st Century. :duca: 

ugh, i was a huge golden hater so im glad that kylie is back in my good graces :-* 

23 hours ago, Legend E said:

i actually find teary eyes annoying

marina was okay

weird fishes, where does the dj go :clap3: 

better radiohead cover: weird fishes or arpeggi?

23 hours ago, Lazuli said:

la di da :clap3: who cares that it's the 73rd song that rips off blinding lights or dua's physical

wtf do i know and stud are cute

you could replace 21st century with any other song on the album except gullible fool and it will still be the same :cm: 

where does the dj go? is immaculate :katie2: 

yeah a lot of la roux's album is samey but thats kind of why i ended up liking it?  it has a nice pulse to it and its a little hypnotizing.

On 12/6/2020 at 8:54 PM, Staryu said:

157.  katy perry - teary eyes

152.  everglow - la di da

148.  miley cyrus - wtf do i know

132.  kylie minogue - where does the dj go?

my faves here :clap3: 

oh you're. not gonna like this update as much. but once we get into the top 100 i will deliver for u i promise. 

On 12/6/2020 at 8:53 PM, Ewan Chaos said:

Knew Shygirlies would be your top EP, so I'm glad Christine was able to make it into top 2 (and she was number 2). Christine, I totally understand why people would think she's boring before Chris but most people have the opposite effect and whine that they want the debut sound back nnn. I started stanning from her live performances which is why I was more into her than her music initially, but then I REALLY stanned with Chris.

Risk It I'm glad snuck in; my favorite from her album. Astrid S makes me wanna vomit outside of one song. Man's World YAAAAAS every year around Best Of time I remember your FROOT stanning in 2015 and I was shaking. WTF, good but not my fave Miley track. 

First Class Bitch is FLAAAAAWLESS well I'd pick most of the debut's songs over it but, STILL. Stud is a great pick, don't let the haters get you. You're welcome re: Shinichiro. Do you have a preference between the Space or Earth mix? They're BASICALLY the same but.

Interesting Seth, La Roux, and Lianne picks, but I do like them all and liked all their albums. Great Kylie pick; it's so campy and silly (obviously the DJ goes back home after the party Kylie, now drink a water and sober up).

which astrid song doesn't make you vomit? i found her album to be fine.  its forever 21 pop, but its far from the worst of that niche. 

On 12/6/2020 at 8:51 PM, potent said:

yeah I get what you're saying about Stud lyrically lol, is that Troye's only song here though? :emofish:

Where Does the DJ Go :katie2: Kylie served this year

it is his only song.  i had to make a lot of hard decisions and only a few artists got multiple entries.  

On 12/6/2020 at 7:44 PM, pearlmercury said:

napoleonla, la di da, hmph! deserved better 

riki is one of those artists thats better on the album than the song, so dont worry, she'll have her revenge!

On 12/6/2020 at 7:29 PM, jpow said:

Yes thank you earlier for telling me about the Better Off Alone cover, I've been listening to it pretty regularly since!

21st Century is definitely a standout on Supervision :clap3: Impact is my favorite SG Lewis track, but basically because anything Robyn touches turns into a masterpiece :jonny:

robyn & sg lewis collab ep when? :duca: 

i think guillible fool might have ended up being my fave from la roux... but well, that was last year.  

yw, i am glad they redeemed themselves.  though i did enjoy the lead single from their album (purity ring)

On 12/6/2020 at 7:09 PM, Oni said:

Better Off Alone and La Di Da :clap3:

Teary Eyes is also pretty good, even though I think the chorus could've been.

could have been what? more powerful?

On 12/6/2020 at 6:59 PM, Psycho said:

Teary Eyes :celestial4:

Dance Dance Dance :WAP: for fans of Ava Max indeed :clap3:

Man's World is cute but doesn't touch Froot :thing:

La Di Da, WTF Do I Know, Where Does The DJ Go?, Impact all bops :katie2:

hm, i think mans world is better than about half of froot.  nothing touches the title track or savages.  nothing ever will!

On 12/6/2020 at 6:52 PM, MusicLoverDude said:

Teary Eyes and WTF Do I Know :clap3:

glad you enjoyed :clap3: 

On 12/6/2020 at 6:46 PM, Remmy said:

Teary Eyes & Dance Dance Dance are good :alexz3: The latter being one of just TWO (2) songs from a ten (10) track album. Got into Confidence Man months ago but FCB didn't do it for me :matty: Impact is cute enough, expected a bit better though. STUD :gaycatney3::gaycatney3: WTF Do I Know yup absolutely! Easy album highlight and excellent opening track

whats your fave confidence man track?!  

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• madonnas

• Blue Rose

• Legend E

• BlackoutZone

I'm unaware that pet shop boys are STILL releasing new music. Gotta give credit to their work ethic. I'm god brings back the early 10s memories. Even Imogen Heap's Just For Now sounds good because of it.

LNLY is amazing, I wish it had been placed higher although from the write up I get the sense that even these placements are still pretty respectable?

Love Not Loving You is a Carly Rae Jepsen'd bop :WAP:
Let's Be Friends was cute for a moment
August my favorite song on the album :clap3:

So baby bye bye bye bye - OOOOOHH - YOU BROUGHT ME OUT OF A FEVER!!!! YOU MAKE ME FEEL LIKE SOME-ONE ELSE! etc.

Great Yaeji pick! You're right, a bit underrated by the gays. Though I gotta admit... I like everyone else am waiting for the next raingirl (even though I'm sure the pressure of Yaeji putting that out is what's stopping her from committing to a new EP or album or whatever).

Great Buscabulla pick; that's actually my 2nd top pick with NTE being my #1. The grooooooove :fish1: Generally agree with Genevieve's album esp after loving Louis Cole's solo record so much, but that's a good pick.

Knew you'd like Ray Guns nnnn the second I saw someone whining "this is a ****ty MIA ripoff!" I was like "oh I know who is gonna like this!" But you know what, fair enough, if M.I.A. isn't even gonna give us an M.I.A. ripoff, someone has to!

• ATRL Moderator
2 hours ago, Tom Vercetti said:

I'm unaware that pet shop boys are STILL releasing new music. Gotta give credit to their work ethic. I'm god brings back the early 10s memories. Even Imogen Heap's Just For Now sounds good because of it.

they usually have like 1-2 good songs per release, but honestly, for people whose prime was 1987, ill take it.  yeah thats why i connected with im god, it reminded me of all the hyped music in that era.  like, uh, whats that guy that charli sampled in you ha ha, that kinda sound.

2 hours ago, potent said:

LNLY is amazing, I wish it had been placed higher although from the write up I get the sense that even these placements are still pretty respectable?

yeah.  i know some people do lists where the bottom ranking stuff is actrually stuff they dislike, but everything on here is quality.  maybe for the lower ranks i might point out why they dont rank higher but i still love all my children :heart2: 

i wanted to do it all ranked instead of having HMs because Hms make them feel so disposable so i wanted to rank even the bubbling under this time!

2 hours ago, Psycho said:

Love Not Loving You is a Carly Rae Jepsen'd bop :WAP:
Let's Be Friends was cute for a moment
August my favorite song on the album :clap3:

its like crj + haim, hm, yes?

yeah if august or cardigan isnt your fave....... im watching you!

2 hours ago, Ewan Chaos said:

So baby bye bye bye bye - OOOOOHH - YOU BROUGHT ME OUT OF A FEVER!!!! YOU MAKE ME FEEL LIKE SOME-ONE ELSE! etc.

Great Yaeji pick! You're right, a bit underrated by the gays. Though I gotta admit... I like everyone else am waiting for the next raingirl (even though I'm sure the pressure of Yaeji putting that out is what's stopping her from committing to a new EP or album or whatever).

Great Buscabulla pick; that's actually my 2nd top pick with NTE being my #1. The grooooooove :fish1: Generally agree with Genevieve's album esp after loving Louis Cole's solo record so much, but that's a good pick.

Knew you'd like Ray Guns nnnn the second I saw someone whining "this is a ****ty MIA ripoff!" I was like "oh I know who is gonna like this!" But you know what, fair enough, if M.I.A. isn't even gonna give us an M.I.A. ripoff, someone has to!

WHY was love not loving you so good and woman so bad?  who does she do this to us?

i mean yeah im waiting for the next raingurl too, but ill take what she gave us.  i just watn a full album at this point.  the mixtape was a cute holdover.

apparently miss maya did release music this year (and not just her #1 single) but none of its on any streaming so everyone quickly forgot.  poor her.  i love ****ty m.i.a. rip offs, i could create a playlist of 50 or more songs, if i ever got the energy to do it.  i love how you knew that it would be my #1 from her :rip: 

Edited by Madame X

Stud is my least favorite on IAD, the bar was set too high with Easus and In A DREAM

Teary Eyes bop

auGODst deserved to make the top 100 :mazen:

Foxes and Carly :clap3:

August is one of my faves from folklore.

I need to listen to more Agnes. She's basically the Leona Lewis of dance pop 

Carly and Foxes :clap3:

August is one of my highlights from folklore 

Need to listen to more Agnes. She's basically the Leona Lewis of dance pop 

fingers crossed & let's be friends were cute, little bops

Love Not Loving You :heart:

august is one of the better tracks on folklore, i think :oh:

22 hours ago, mokitsu said:

153.  marina - man's world

genre: pop

for fans of: marina's froot era

yeah, she's good at giving us froot leftovers and ill eat it up.  her songwriting is super camp and i love singing along to it.

I LOVE THIS SONG

ferris wheel is cute

for fans of: britney jean

:rip: gorl don't do too much on ha... let's be friends is a cute grindr anthem

august too low :biblio:

idoru :jonny5: it's so perfect once you ignore that the song might be about elon musk

from the other batch, the confidence man song is a bop :katie2:

borderline is amazing :jonny: brandy's album wasnt v good imo but that one is incredible.

The snap :jonny5:

Brandy’s Bordeline

Against All Logic (although my favorite is the song with the Beyoncé sample :fan: )

Blue Hawaii

Grimes

you really snapped sis :clap3: 

Some excellent choices that I would say are really too low!

I really wish I put MACHINEE on my list, but I kinda forgot about it. I'm glad Jonna is on the right track again, her best song in a while

• ATRL Moderator
12 hours ago, Post Malone said:

Stud is my least favorite on IAD, the bar was set too high with Easus and In A DREAM

Teary Eyes bop

auGODst deserved to make the top 100 :mazen:

i remember when the ep dropped everyone was PANNING stud, it will grow on you sis!

8 hours ago, MusicLoverDude said:

Foxes and Carly :clap3:

August is one of my faves from folklore.

I need to listen to more Agnes. She's basically the Leona Lewis of dance pop 

listen to her EP last year!! its got bops

7 hours ago, Kevin2803 said:

fingers crossed & let's be friends were cute, little bops

Love Not Loving You :heart:

august is one of the better tracks on folklore, i think :oh:

nothing on folklore is really BAD but theres... the filler and the standouts, lets just say that.

7 hours ago, GreatestLoveofAll said:

I LOVE THIS SONG

STAN!

6 hours ago, Lazuli said:

ferris wheel is cute

:rip: gorl don't do too much on ha... let's be friends is a cute grindr anthem

august too low :biblio:

idoru :jonny5: it's so perfect once you ignore that the song might be about elon musk

who is elon? idk who that is.

and... :blush: i like britney jean lol

6 hours ago, mokitsu said:

from the other batch, the confidence man song is a bop :katie2:

borderline is amazing :jonny: brandy's album wasnt v good imo but that one is incredible.

i liked track 1 too.  the brandy album is pretty decent imo even if its a bit long.  appreciate how well her vocals have aged.

1 hour ago, Blue Rose said:

The snap :jonny5:

Brandy’s Bordeline

Against All Logic (although my favorite is the song with the Beyoncé sample :fan: )

Blue Hawaii

Grimes

you really snapped sis :clap3: 

i forgot which beyonce song he sampled.... ewps

46 minutes ago, BlackoutZone said:

Some excellent choices that I would say are really too low!

I really wish I put MACHINEE on my list, but I kinda forgot about it. I'm glad Jonna is on the right track again, her best song in a while

ugh, im getting flashbacks of stanning not human and then the album being a disappointment.  WE NEED KIN 2.0.

• ATRL Moderator

753S3ty.png

100.  clipping. - check the lock

genre: hip-hop

for fans of: i dunno, they're sort of grouped in with death grips and jpegmafia but i dont honestly feel like thats anything but a superficial comparison.  if you like left-field hip hop check it out.

this song really grapples with paranoia and the atmosphere delivers and enhances the lyrical theme.  the bass in the chorus is definitely what made this song an instant standout to me.  they sorta switch between more accessible and then more abstratct songs and this song definitely falls in the former, for those who are concerned.

99.  carly rae jepsen - summer love

genre: its carly baby

for fans of: shura, tame impala

ok i lied when i said let's be friends is the best song she released this year.  summer love edges it out.  summer love is the best song on dedicated side b and really theres absolutely no competition.  its got that gritty synth and basically sounds like a sleazy too-hot-to-dance summer abba song.  its also the absolute most horny song carly has made.  carly has done lots of sex songs, she's also done a lot of desperate songs.  this one combines both and its marvelous.  

98.  cupcakke - lemon pepper

genre: hip hop

for fans of: cupcakke's ephorize, female hip hop

yeah, cupcakke kinda fell off didn't she? she had some personal problems, released a bunch of one-off singles, and no full project has materialized for quite a while.  thankfully she gave us this song called lemon pepper about.... seasoning a dick before sucking it.  its cupcakke so songs like this are usually her best.  its got some wonderfully tasteless lyrics like "legs bout to spread like corona."  its definitely the song with her most memorable one-liners (and even a miley wrecking ball reference) since anything on ephorize.  

97.  bonnie banane - sexy planet

genre: new wave, art pop

for fans of: kate nv, kitsch

i dont know who she is, but she made a song called sexy planet with bouncy synths, an obnoxious whistle sample, and the hook is literally just "sexy planet, sexy planet, sex sex sex sex."  it almost feels like a troll song and it probably is one.  why do i like it? idk, it just feels so refreshing to listen to.

96.  chung ha - stay tonight

genre: future house, kpop

for fans of: songs with multiple choruses, edm-style kpop.

this song is basically a bunch of choruses stuck together.  thats what all the best kpop songs are anyway, and they attach together in a way that builds and builds into a perfectly addicting non-chorus.  all parts of the song are equally addictive.

95.  adam lambert - superpower

genre: synth funk, power pop

for fans of: scissor sisters

i know this is sort of cheating because it was late last year, but nobody knew about it until he dropped this album, so here we go (i did this a few times, and im not sorry!).  this is another song that builds up to a non chorus, and it totally gives me a night work by scissor sisters vibe, which is a very very underrated album.  except with adam you get belts and ****.

94.  city girls - come outside

genre: hip hop

for fans of: doja cat, flo milli

i loooooove super minimalistic hip hop beats.  this is definitely the sound city girls should develop more (!!!).  as for the other qualities of the city girls, well, its what you'd expect.  its just their best offering this year.  yung miami is a mess but an endearing one and jt kills it.

93.  dreamcatcher - scream

genre: kpop, pop rock

for fans of: babymetal, aoa

dreamcatcher don't really need to ever develop their sound since they are the only main group doing this sound (but actually they did in the album cuts, more on that later).  its just another dreamcatcher song thats irresistable and has a great instrumental string hook.  the video is great too, serving dungeons and dragons realness

92.  jamie xx - idontknow

genre: uk bass

for fans of: idk, aal? the xx?

i feel like everyone has been fans of jamie xx forever but im just catching up.  nothing he released previously caught my attention so i kinda gave up, luckily i stumbled on this banger and am glad i did. the song is pretty much all the second half, but the first half makes you wait for the explosive beat, which makes it a more satisfying listening experience.  its pretty much one great line that slightly alters throughout the entire rest of the song lol.

91.  chai - no more cake

genre: post punk, synth punk

for fans of: porridge radio, sleater kinney

they released a lot of one off singles this year and to be honest they were all over the place.  this one though, yes.  this takes their bubblegum choruses down a much more darker and gritty direction. the song is a pointed criticism of.. make up artists? or just in general the trend of applying too much makeup.  song's got a slightly unconventional structure too, which makes its replay value much higher than almost all their other songs.

Superpower :jamming:

14 minutes ago, Madame X said:

yung miami is a mess but an endearing one and jt kills it.

well... that's all of their discog hihih. gonna check it out tho cuz i skipped their album.

CHAI were confusing af this year i agree. i like that one nd the Hinds collab the most. idontknow his best song easily. stay tonight :clap3:

Summer Love truly is THE song of side B :heart::alexz2:

I need to listen to Summer Love again. I don't remember much of Side B, to be honest. I'm sure it's good tho :alexz2:

1 hour ago, Madame X said:

95.  adam lambert - superpower

genre: synth funk, power pop

for fans of: scissor sisters

i know this is sort of cheating because it was late last year, but nobody knew about it until he dropped this album, so here we go (i did this a few times, and im not sorry!).  this is another song that builds up to a non chorus, and it totally gives me a night work by scissor sisters vibe, which is a very very underrated album.  except with adam you get belts and ****.

YESSSS omg Adam's entire album is such a bop have you listened to it? Loverboy and Overglow whew :ihype:

Carly's Dedicated Side B was a bit forgettable for me, but this one was cute 

Not legs spreading like corona, oh boy. Yeah so Summer Love was really the only Side B song that's clicked with me. Good choice for City Girls - and I've been liking Chai's droplets, but just finding out about the one you mentioned. Good place for Idontknow. I loved xx debut back in the day (they kind of pioneered Chill Vibes), but since then I definitely prefer their clubbier stuff to when they make slow pop.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.