madonnas best of 2020 - AOTY ANNOUNCED

madonnas

• ATRL Moderator

20.  grimes - miss anthropocene

genre: art pop, synth pop

fave songs: 4aem, so heavy i fell through the earth

well, grimes is prob one of my top ultmiate faves.  ill like whatever garbage she puts out.  i do think this album is misunderstood but it was hurt by having the strongest songs released as singles a year before the album dropped.  at the end f the day its a collection of etheral bops like any other grimes album.

19.  cindy - im cindy

genre: dream pop, synth pop

fave songs: never let me go, my mother

basically what i said on the never let me go description.  sad girl chromatics equivalent bedroom pop.  

18.  ariana grande - positions

genre: pop soul

fave songs: my hair, love language

i think this is actually a very consistent and thorough album.  its ariana doing "smooth" r&b but still feels totally ariana.  

17.  moses sumney - grae

genre: art rock

fave songs: virile, in bloom

yeah, this album is actually hard to pin down.  art rock? soul? art pop? alternative r&b? idk.  hes a genre chameleon and has a lot to offer musically.  i could do without the second disc, tbh since its mostly slow ballads and i dont like those.

16.  yelle - l'ere du verseau

genre: synth pop

fave songs: karate, noir

yelle give us a bit of her old style, mixed with her new style.  sort of a halfway point between her debut pop up and her 2014 album.  personally, i prefer her debut so i like the most spastic bangers but i think this is a solid listen throughout.  

15.  jessy lanza - all the time

genre: synth pop

fave songs: face, lick in heaven

lame to put the two singles as your top songs, but oh well, its true.  jessy lanza continues her string of intimate minimal bops.  the songs feel very empty and spacious yet immaculately produced.  

14.  gupi - none

genre: bubblegum bass

fave songs: thos moser, paradise

if you are  afan of the 100 gecs/charli crowd you'll be a fan of this.  its energetic and fun all the way through.

13.  arca - kick i

genre: art pop, digital reggaeton

fave songs: klk, nonbinary

honestly i didn't used to be a huge fan of arca but this album sold me.  she blended her distorted anti-pop world with good taste and adventurous songwriting.  all the features shine here and none of them feel wasted.

12.  chloe x halle - ungodly hour

genre: r&b, pop

fave songs: busy boy, ungodly hour

such a huge huge huge improvement from their debut.  feels like they went more r&b than art pop but it honestly might be a better idea.  there are still some kooky ideas flowing through the album and those provide the best moments.  hope they take off and start having hits.

11.  zebra katz - less is moor

genre: hip hop

fave songs: ish, lick it n spit

yeah the ima read chanteuse finally is back with a full length lp.  finally!  its a great album worth the wait and we got the strongest tracks in the beginning and end so its a fun listen that doesn't drag.  full of clubby gay hip hop songs if thats what you're into.

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• madonnas

• Blue Rose

• Legend E

• Ewan Chaos

• ATRL Moderator

10.  yukika - soul lady

genre: city pop, kpop

fave songs: cherries jubiles, soul lady, i feel love

we got a full length city pop project!  years after plastic love went viral and the genre got a second look, we finally get a nice throwback album and it was worth the wait.  she also has a few songs that are more leaning toward modern kpop trends but overall it feels like yukika knows who she is and knows her strengths.  seriously, one of kpop full lengths ever.  check it out if you haven't.

9.  run the jewels - rtj4

genre: hip hop

fave songs: just, walking in the snow, ooh la la

i never really fully fell into the rtj world until this year and im glad i finally listened to their entire discography, so rtj got the biggest boost cuz its new!  well, its full of topical lyrics and during the pandemic was the right time for this kind of music.

8.  kate nv - room for the moon

genre: art pop

fave songs: telefon, not not not, sayonara

i love this project and its one of the ones that makes me reconsider everything else i heard from the artist (wasn't big on her debut).  its a multilingual electronic art pop experience that seriously pulls a lot of tricks from kate bush's hate, so its fitting they have the same name.  

7.  dua lipa - future nostalgia

genre: nu disco

fave songs: cool, levitating, future nostalgia

dua gave us the main pop girl album we ALL were waiting for.  we all wanted a string of nu disco bops that felt fresh and new.  this is simply an amazing 9 track album without a single miss, just hit after hit after hit of consistent nu-disco sounds, but with a new twist each time. 

6.  poppy - i disagree

genre: nu metal

fave songs: concrete, bloodmoney, dont go outside

i have been stanning poppy for years when she was a complete joke.  well who is laughing NOW.  poppy released an amazing album that blended sunshine pop with nu metal.  its a cheap trick now thats been done, but it was never really done in a consistent album length style.  and there are influences of different genres all throughout the album anyway so its not like every song follows the same formula (i would say concrete is probably the most representative though).  

5.  charli xcx - how im feeling now

genre: hyperpop, electropop

fave songs: claws, anthems, visions

charli releases another masterpiece.  but are we surprised?

4.  ela minus - acts of rebellion

genre: tech house

fave songs: domonique, they told us it was hard, megapunk

yeah ela wins my 'most underrated act of the year' award.  she gave us an amazing album.  PLUS, its short.  do you guys know how much i love short albums?  i love them a lot.  im so sick of every album being 2 hours long.  give us your best material then go.  ela understands, she gave us tech house deadpan anthems, gave us a nice change of flavor for the last song, then said bye yall.  thank you ela.

• ATRL Moderator

AND NOW FOR THE MOST OBVIOUS TOP 3 OF ALL TIME

• ATRL Moderator

FIONAAPPLECOVER.jpg

Inline_3320116_4.3-3.jpg

What%E2%80%99s%20Your%20Pleasure?_Jessie

30-11:

Yes Rina, yes Victoria, yes, Ari, yes Moses, yes CxH :gaycat6:

Didn't really like Kelly Lee Owens last album (felt kinda boring and samey from what I remember). But your description is making me interested! Gonna give your recommended tracks a listen.

I've also seen Sevdaliza's name pop up on ATRL so I'll try out their tracks too.

The Arca album has been collecting dust in my AM library for MONTHS. Maybe one day I'll find time to listen to it. Same for Grimes :matty: 

On 1/3/2021 at 11:45 AM, Madame X said:

OK SORRY FOR BEING A FLAKE

if i didn't respond to your best of in a while, just tag me in there, do it!

Reveal hidden contents

!! where does disco rank in ur kylie ranking

shes one of those where its always good but how GOOD does it get.  i mean dark hearts/streets/the bomb are A+++, and the ending tracks too.

stan!

stan!  do you have your own list?

kmo.... well, idk.  i haven't heard it in a while but i remember being really really put off by sexercize and some of the middle songs.  i liked i was gonna cancel and sexy love.

i like 911 tbh, but i weasn't aware it was a single? it was a john wayne situation. it was bound to flop tho lol, like its such a faggy song.  

have you heard any other annie album?!  i wouldn't say thats the best introduction to her, but its more for the chromatics/baby driver soundtrack lovers than annie.  her debut is a classic and she released some good EPs in the 2010s that were more dance/pop.

omg the robbery in the 2020 rate hit me hard :rip: supa actually replied to me (cuz i tried to give ladies an 11) saying basically 'it won't win so im not gonna give you high hopes' or something along the lines of that.  so tbh i expected it to go in the 30s, still HURT though.  i wonder how sophie got on an album track lol, im sure someone knows the story?!

i think supervision is good its just one of those cases of it not meeting the hype, but once time passes people will go back to it and look fondly.

you did!

did you try it? :duca: 

yes stan bbymutha, since nobody else here does 

IM DOING IT THANK YOU I WILL POST IN YOURS

its a fairly pleasant album that won't piss anyone off, give it a try!

any interesting ones!?

and?

omg a guillible fool hater? :jonny: 

yeah i was like that for months but near the end of the year it caught more listens and benefited from that.

finally, someone who gets it!

thx king

a legend!

i think you would like i break horses!  

we need neon indian badly, his song last year was pretty good but he always shines best in ALBUMS and honestly that song was not his best... so... more plz.  

la roux is a solo act now but its a force of habit for a lot of people.  i mean i still see people refer to F+TM as 'they'.  

yes! listen to it!

glad to see you on the right team!

hm, his album was just a couple songs too long so i had to make the cut.  it was kinda super arbitrary though lol.

and ILL DO IT AGAIN

i like the dont stop hook, its one of those songs you need to let grow on you, its very subtle and artful!  

jazz bar SNUBBED in the kpop rate, i was fuming.

oaJ2g351.thumb.jpg.a3f4510658f0741a6b932

riki is def an acquired taste lol, but yeah i get what you're saying.  its rare for me to prefer ballads and slower songs than uptempos but its not unheard of but i can truly say EO is better with faster tracks and its noy my bias.

stan!

i think no joy was super underrated, i think most people who check it out can find something they can enjoy x

at the door was the single tho right? i thought that was the one everyone stanned.

well.... its coming yall!

glad you stan sis!

PERIOD!  lemme know if you listened!

mess, but wait i still see you posting, hows the break going :eli: 

i loved his album but only listened once :rip: every time i was going to i just... didnt.  i thik it was the length.  oh well.  

I still have not but I plan on listening to it (Buscabulla) soon :duca: 

Ooh come through with the full top 10!

Jessie, Roisin, Fiona, Dua :clap3: :clap3: :clap3: 

I only just recently listened to Charli's album so I need time to sit with it.

I've said it before elsewhere but I feel once you've heard one RTJ album, you've heard em all. Glad you got into them. RTJ1 is a classic for me :jonny5:

Anyways, the taste jumped out all throughout your lists and I'm glad you were able to finish! Happy New Years sis :heart: 

you know i love you but i'll try to keep it short and sweet since i have shitload of other threads to visit

EmoWOzCWMAE5AGI?format=jpg&name=small

okay i'm impressed you've managed to list 25 eps you liked, i can barely think of 5 :rip: anyway, so happy to see india so high and i used to think christine was boring too but don't tell anyone! wish i'd enjoyed la vita nuova a little more but there's some amazing stuff there for sure. oh and you know my thoughts on shygirl already

VNaKddg.jpg

the song list is LONG so i just skimmed through it quickly but it's getting my stamp of approval. also i think you might be the first person to actually include that better off alone cover, a random okay kaya album cut (we love to see it, maybe twinkpeaks won after all), face by jessy lanza or still remember that seth bogart exists which is nice to see

including i'm god feels like cheating but come on, if you put it on your list it automatically should be in the top 10

i too believe in they told us it was hard, but they were wrong supremacy

FYQRlX2.gif

48.  la roux - supervision

for fans of: trouble in paradise.

the LIES

anyway, many respectable choices on your album list (i appreciate the annie, savage/metro, kate nv inclusion) and the top 5 is just a cherry on top

The top 2 is an absolute collapse if you ask me :jonny2:

Jessie Ware is definitely cute BUT do I stan? I'm not sure. Anyway congrats for finishing. :clap3: 

Jessie and Fiona in the top 3 is great, I kinda wish Fiona got it though just because Jessie is #1 basically everywhere else lol

• ATRL Moderator

the top 3 :WAP: slay jessica :WAP: 

future nostalgia pretty high too :clap3: 

Fiona :clap3:

Future Nostalgia :alexz: Jessie Ware is great I like her voice

I'm a bit surprised you like So Heavy... so much. And actually thought Mrs. Musky would be top 15. Didn't think Positions would be so high! The rest of that update is also all talent except the one girl idk who I will check out and CxH who I still find really overrated but agree that this was way better than their debut.

I wonder what your ranking of RTJ records would be! I actually have no clue what mine would be but I think this newest one would be my favorite. Most of these hoes in the top 4 are perfection of course. I didn't listen to Poppy (I legit don't care at all about her even with people raving about that new record so I doubt I'll even bother checking her out sorry LOL), and Ela I have no idea what didn't stick for me but I just didn't care for the album.

FLAWLESS TOP 3. Love ya girl, here's to a great 2021 which unsurprisingly is already uh... chaos LOL.

Edited by Ewan Chaos

Let me catch up a bit :gaycat6:

----

Spoiler

YHLQMDLG, Ho, Why Is You Here?, Dark Hearts, Sin Miedo, Visions of Bodies Being Burned, Disco, Sawayama, Petals for Armor, Jaguar, Savage Mode 2, positions, grae, kick i & Ungodly Hour

Made it into the list AHH :jonny5:

Soul Lady, RTJ4, Future Nostalgia, I Disagree & How I'm Feeling Now ha acclaim :clap3: Truly five of the best albums of 2020

The top 3 feel so damn right :jonny5: [Redacted] RIGHTS!!

On 1/3/2021 at 11:45 PM, Madame X said:

omg the robbery in the 2020 rate hit me hard :rip: supa actually replied to me (cuz i tried to give ladies an 11) saying basically 'it won't win so im not gonna give you high hopes' or something along the lines of that.  so tbh i expected it to go in the 30s, still HURT though.  i wonder how sophie got on an album track lol, im sure someone knows the story?!

The fact that it didn't enter top 10 is a gay crime. I gave Ladies a 10 but i kinda knew that some people might sabotaged it and i thought that it would go top 10 anyway but imagine my shock :dies: What a mess. I rarely posted there because some of my tens are gone way too early and i don't want my ridiculous meltdown on display i-

didn't see it coming! jk  From the top 3 I agree with the order of quality to say the least. 

Oh, I was a little shocked to see Don’t Stop come on top of Megs singles run.

For Zebra Katz, I was only able to listen to ISH but missed coming back to him.

But anyway, doing some backtracking.. great top 50 and appreciate the “for fans of:” section!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.