madonnas best of 2020 - AOTY ANNOUNCED

madonnas

I feel like any album as praised as FTBC will have some saying it's overrated :michael: but idk, I thought it was great and IWYTLM is definitely a highlight

Alice is cute, one of maybe a couple that I would keep from Chromatica

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• madonnas

• Blue Rose

• Legend E

• Ewan Chaos

17 hours ago, Madame X said:

53.  lady gaga - alice

genre: dance pop

for fans of: alice by lady gaga

this song is so relatable, because my name is also not alice!  on paper thats the stupidest lyric but she sells it so well, and then its followed by whats absolutely 100% the best drop chorus bloodpop has, or will ever be responsible for.  pain on the dancefloor is something that every artist has done, but i would argue to say that this is gaga's best attempt at this trope.  theres a lot of passion in her voice.

whew, an opener :jonny:

THIRTY MINUTES? maybe later but hm.  with sufjan i definitely have to be in the mood, but if im in that mood i could probably stan a 30 min songs

i find it so much more engaging than america tho. 1/3 of it is literally a full blown pop song. i think it doesnt feel THAT long cuz it feels like a few different songs

moses and fiona :clap3: 

alice :clap3: it's just a middling track on chromatica for me but i guess it sets the tone for the album well 

oop and here comes the baby cameo :keir:  its def a surprise by her. i also really like her ballad selfish.

watch ur step a holy bop :katie2:

• ATRL Moderator

r5lTCz3.png

50.  magdalena bay - body

genre: synth pop

for fans of: ag cook

i dont have words to describe how magical this song is.  its repetitive really just her saying "my body, body" but it allows their production to shine and go places you never imagined.  ok, but its also less than 2 minutes so like i said you're gonna wanna listen to this 3x when you hear it because of how much there is going on.  

49.  megan thee stallion - body

genre: hip hop

for fans of: ciara, laffy taffy by d4l

love this song and its insane repetitiveness reminds me of like the mid to late 00s, basic instinct/fantasy ride type ciara songs and hip hop songs that were super simple.  thats a good thing btw, i predict this will age very well and become a classic later on in the clubs.  

48.  roisin murphy - murphy's law

genre: disco, boogie

for fans of: whats your pleasure

this is definitely the most straight forward disco inspired song on roisin's album, but her deep husky voice makes for a great classic 80s disco sounding song, and she was generous enough to give us an 8 minute mix of this holy hymn.  i say its straight forward becuase its not as abstract or distorted, like, say, narcissus or simulation are.  not complaining about those, but i think thats what made this standout and made me pick it as one of my... multiple roisin picks. 

47.  ariana grande - my hair

genre: lite rnb, pop

for fans of: sweetener

honestly, if sweetener was your fave ari album, you'll like a lot on positions.  my hair is a huge standout and possibly one of the best slow jam/sex songs ariana has done.  oh she decides to use her whistle tone at the end.  somehow the obnoxiousness adds to the sex appeal of the song.

46.  twice - i can't stop me

genre: synth pop, kpop

for fans of: everglow, dua lipa physical, weeknd blinding lights

*drumroll* and the best winner of the blinding lights ripoff goes to............. I CANT STOP ME BY TWICE!

45.  070 shake - guilty conscience

genre: rnb, synth pop

for fans of: post malone?

i love this song because it combines a sorta dark clubby hip hop vibe but the writing of the song is literally 80s pop lol, like billie idol duran duran levels of 80s pop.  its so goddamn catchy to me.  actually people have compared it to post malone, saying its like a female post malone song. well, maybe i should finally get around to hollywood's bleeding then.

44.  dababy - rockstar

genre: hip hop

for fans of: idk its a #1 hit you've prob heard it

ive said it before but dababy is the nelly of this generation.  hes got that engaging and fun-based persona.  well, if thats true this is his "ride with me" because its a more somber cut with a guitar sample as the beat.  the lyrics aren't as confident and braggadocio as other songs from him but its got this contemplative feel to it that i really really enjoy.  i know he actually has a lot of songs with this subject matter so it didn't surprise me, but it is something different in his hit catalogue.

43.  kelly lee owens - on 

genre: tech house

for fans of: caroline polacheck

umm, i love the slow slow buildup into a gorgeous instrumental hook at the end of the song.  she expanded on her songwriting in this new album and it shows.  it start off like a slow ambient pop album but breaks out into a total banger at the end.  the ambient pop section is good, but that 3 minute wait for the explosion at the end is so worth it.  obviously, the second half of the song is the best part, anybody telling you otherwise is crazy.

42.  strokes - brooklyn bridge to chorus

genre: alt rock

for fans of: the voidz strokes stuff, future islands?

i just love this synth line so much.  honestly, it feels so good to have the strokes actually release good music.  they were a huge part of my childhood.  i listened to is this it all the time in elementary along with the singles from their 2nd album.  this is the same energy, but adapted to 2020.  :weeps: im so happy.  the bridge is classic strokes magic

41.  hayley williams - sugar on the rim

for fans of: st vincent

WHO ON HERE said this is just a masseduction song? i hate you because now i can't hear it.  well if you liked masseduction/sugarboy/los ageless/pills type songs, you will LOVE this holy bop.  hayley's album overall had a lot of different sounds to offer, but yeah im going with this one.

• ATRL Moderator
Spoiler
4 hours ago, mokitsu said:

oop and here comes the baby cameo :keir:  its def a surprise by her. i also really like her ballad selfish.

watch ur step a holy bop :katie2:

i thought it was higher originally but i switched.  watch ur step is sooooooooosooooooooooo good.  i didnt realize how much i missed kelis. 

5 hours ago, geodancefreak said:

ALICE :worship:

:worship2:

5 hours ago, Lazuli said:

i find it so much more engaging than america tho. 1/3 of it is literally a full blown pop song. i think it doesnt feel THAT long cuz it feels like a few different songs

moses and fiona :clap3: 

alice :clap3: it's just a middling track on chromatica for me but i guess it sets the tone for the album well 

really!  what are your fave chromatica songs

5 hours ago, GreatestLoveofAll said:

whew, an opener :jonny:

stan!

7 hours ago, dreamofyou said:

baby is excellent, it deserved better

it did, appartently she got a lot of bad press this last year tho bc of her stuff on rpdr and during the blm protests tho, hope it works out for her.

11 hours ago, potent said:

I feel like any album as praised as FTBC will have some saying it's overrated :michael: but idk, I thought it was great and IWYTLM is definitely a highlight

Alice is cute, one of maybe a couple that I would keep from Chromatica

thats true, once it got a 10 from pitchfork they were all waiting to call it overrated and ****ty, but then again, if i didnt like the album i would have done that as well heehee

23 hours ago, Green said:

i want you to love me and Alice  :clap3:

Alice is one of my favorites from Chromatica

same!

23 hours ago, Post Malone said:

Not for fans of: alice by lady gaga

did i lie

23 hours ago, Remmy said:

Alice :katie2: A great way to start off the album for sure

"for fans of: alice by lady gaga" Oh, period!

i mean im sorry every little gay on this site has heard chromatica, or at least, 95% of them :rip: 

23 hours ago, Sunderland 4ever said:

I'm more active on AOTY because I prefer their album rating system. My nickname is Sunderland4ever there.

ill add you!

23 hours ago, Claw said:

I like this set too u’ve been coming thru with lots of taste. I didn’t like or get Alice at first but I’ve come to see it’s one of the standouts yes. I think if I was listening to Kate NV with no context - I wouldn’t guess Russian was her first language but maybe something Asian. I might put Virile on my list too because that one just hit me recently... I kind of hated on Moses at times this year but he does put out good work.

omg yeah love the 2000s throwbacks on Uzi song. Forgot what Baby sounds like but listening again. Watch Your Step is also one of the biggest bops of the year so I’m glad to see that here.

-

edit: ok ya Baby is good lol

i knew u would like.  i remember both of us hating on moses lol, but he sold me with the album.  the second half can rot, but whatever, thats just 8 songs out of 20..

23 hours ago, KasioKas said:

Lol @ the backhanded compliment for Madison

lmao, she is a dlister i dont even mean that to be cruel, d list pop is its own scene with its own aesthetic.

22 hours ago, TheWayWeWere said:

Baby is cutie, I kinda can't @ her trying to be Ari :skull:

Watch Your Step :alexz: I need new Kelis bops in my life :'(

Alice :smitten2:

n, well ari is popular rn so it makes sense.  kelis is busy giving us edibles recipes. i guess thats still something.

22 hours ago, Valtersen said:

Alice is cute :clap3:

:clap3: 

20 hours ago, Wicked said:

Gaga needs to retire. 

Decent Uzi pick tho

lmaoo.  she can stay, she's exhausting to talk about on pop forums tho

19 hours ago, TalkThatRihanna said:

Alice excellence :flame:

alice bieng the most popular one here :-* 

18 hours ago, Legend E said:

i'm sure the comparison 'honours' jessie (as in, i think she enjoys the comparison). great choice of a song,  my fave remains king of sorrow though :thing: diamond life  is also a flawless album!

alice is a bop! i want you to love me is not my fave from ftbc, yes, mainly because of that ending :skull: 

diamond life was the one that got me into them but honestly i think they're just really consistent.  like i could listen to any of their albums and stan.  also stan dolphin noises!

18 hours ago, Blue Rose said:

Virile :jonny: “amp up the masculine” :jonny5:

we stan a masc dom top :WAP: 

the futsal shuffle dance made no sense to me :deadbanana4:

is he gay? ive seen lots of social media posts about how he doesn't want to be defined or labelled lol.

there was a dance to it? like a viral tik tok thing?

12 hours ago, MP2K said:

I was JUST getting ready to say that. I was ready to see what they were give

UGH, well, everyone makes mistakes i guess :weeps: 

12 hours ago, Reinvention said:

I'm sorry but... as soon as this song opened the album I kinda knew it was gonna be a mess with those stupid ass lyrics.

wOewkF2.jpg

fjhf i thought the album was p good on first couple listens.  honestly i still think its good but its not aging well.  BLOOD POP'S FAULT

I love you, but I'm not feeling anything on this update :(

I used to love My Hair so much but I low key got sick of it FAST

Rockstar a great pick!

More mini Mag Bay love, I mainly just care for their full length songs :matty: Positions didn't do much for me but my hair is definitely the best one from it :jamming: Guilty Conscience a bop. Sugar On the Rim OKAY!!! Damn wait it really does serve MASSEDUCTION, and Sugarboy + Pills are my top 2 from that mmm

BOODYODOODODODYDDODYDODYDODYDODYDYDYDYDODIDY :katie2: its a bit umm in your face but after some plays its good.

murphys law my fav here :gaycat6:

17 minutes ago, Madame X said:

is he gay? ive seen lots of social media posts about how he doesn't want to be defined or labelled lol.

there was a dance to it? like a viral tik tok thing?

People have speculated about Moses’ sexuality and gender but he has not said anything official. People either assume he is asexual or gay. He says he is still discovering. Whatever he/they are, we will support :heart: 

the Futsal Shuffle was supposed to be a dance but it never took off. Ive seen some clips of people trying it :lmao: 

• ATRL Moderator
21 minutes ago, Valtersen said:

my hair :duca: oh wow

rockstar :clap3:

glad you liked thsi update :duca: 

17 minutes ago, geodancefreak said:

I love you, but I'm not feeling anything on this update :(

appreciate pure honestly, but you should check out the ones you dont know!  :-*  if you want to, i think this update is p broadly appealing to lots of ppl.

17 minutes ago, Post Malone said:

my hair was cute, not gonna use it though

Rockstar is a bop

im gonna use it, among with almost every other positions song :-* 

15 minutes ago, TalkThatRihanna said:

I used to love My Hair so much but I low key got sick of it FAST

Rockstar a great pick!

hm, i was worried about that but that didn't seem to happen to me? shocking.  the song i got quick of the most from the album was 3435

14 minutes ago, Remmy said:

More mini Mag Bay love, I mainly just care for their full length songs :matty: Positions didn't do much for me but my hair is definitely the best one from it :jamming: Guilty Conscience a bop. Sugar On the Rim OKAY!!! Damn wait it really does serve MASSEDUCTION, and Sugarboy + Pills are my top 2 from that mmm

sugarboy and pills top 2, wow same though.  i think the album is underrated and pills is my fave annie song.  i blame the tracklisting of it.

11 minutes ago, mokitsu said:
BOODYODOODODODYDDODYDODYDODYDODYDYDYDYDODIDY :katie2: its a bit umm in your face but after some plays its good.

murphys law my fav here :gaycat6:

its a definition of a grower.  stays in your head.  hope it goes viral.

Love this update.

Sugar On The Rim is in Hayley’s trinity.

Murphy’s Law is talent obviously.

On :jonny:

The Strokes’ album was meh but I liked a couple of their songs. I don’t remember this one but they do have a song coming up in my countdown :duca: 

Rockstar & Body are awful tho. 

Body has yet to grow on me but Rockstar is probably the one of the only male rap songs I cared for this year. DaBaby is fine as hell. 

guilty conscience > post malone. I tried to get into Kelly's recent music but her pop stuff doesn't work for me :sad: 

That Twice song isn't better than the stuff it's ripping off but it is among the most tolerable they've been so i'll give them that. 

So you let ICSM win? I mean, its GOOD!

Murphy's Law and Sugar on the Rim of course big stand outs on their albums, but I know you'll have more Roisin huh :fan: 

1 hour ago, Madame X said:

kelis is busy giving us edibles recipes. i guess thats still something.

nnnn :rip: I hope she makes money out of this :rip:

Murphy's Law is disco gold :jonny: 

My Hair snatched my wig basically with these vocals

Sugar on the Rim :clap3: 

The love for The Strokes music this year :clap3:

Brookling Bridge is not even on my Top 3 favorite tracks of the album, but I still enjoy it a lot. :jamming:

Shout-out for including On and Body.

body, my hair and rockstar  :clap3: 

my hair is one of the highlights of positions. It sounds like one of those classic R&B songs from the 90's

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.