Biggest Singles/Eras to get Snubbed by Grammys

Kool_Aid_King

2 hours ago, Kool_Aid_King said:

I decided to look into that Abel situation to see the last time (this past decade) a Huge monster smash hit was totally shut out with any nominations. (ignoring if the artist had other smashes nominated from the same era)  Here are some of the biggest snubs similar to Blinding Lights. Feel free to let me know if I missed any.

• Ke$ha - Tik Tok (#1 Year End) + Blah Blah Blah + YLIMD + TIO + Blow + WRWWR
  • Taio Cruz - Dynamite + Break Your Heart 
  • Jason Derulo - In My Head + Whatcha Say  + Ridin Solo 

• LMFAO - Party Rock Anthem  (#2 Year End) [Sexy & I Know It got a Grammy Nod though]
  • Jennifer Lopez - On The Floor
  • Pitbull - Give Me Everything + Hey Baby + Rain On Me
  • Black Eyed Peas - Just Can't Get Enough 
  • Britney Spears - HIAM + TTWE + IWG
  • One Direction - WMYB

• Ellie Goulding - Lights
  • Nicki Minaj - Starships
  • Justin Bieber - Boyfriend + ALAYLM + Beauty & a Beat

• will.i.am - Scream & Shout
  • Avicii - Wake Me Up

• Rude - Magic!
  • Jason Derulo - Talk Dirty + Wiggle
  • OneRepublic - Counting Stars
  • Pitbull - Timber 
  • Nico & Vinz - Am I Wrong
  • Bastille - Pompeii (Got BNA though)
  • Passenger - Let Her Go
  • Tove Lo - Habits + Talking Body

• Walk The Moon - Shut up & Dance
  • Omi - Cheerleader
  • Rachel Platten - Fight Song

• Fifth Harmony - Work From Home
  • Zayn - Pillowtalk
  • Calvin Harris - This Is What You Came For
  • Selena Gomez - Good For You + Same Old Love + Hands To Myself
  • Charlie Puth - One Call Away + We Don't Talk Anymore

• James Arthur - Say You Won't Let Go
  • Post Malone - Congratulations + I Fall Apart
  • Halsey - Bad at Love + Now or Never
  • Lil Uzi Vert - XO Tour Life + The Way Life Goes (Got BNA though)
  • Future - Mask Off 
  • Demi Lovato - Sorry Not Sorry + No Promises + Solo
  • Sam Smith - Too Good At Goodbyes
  • Dj Khaled - Wild Thoughts + I'm The One + Shining
  • Shawn Mendes - There's Nothing Holding Me Back + Treat You Better + Mercy
  • Kygo - It Ain't Me
  • Niall Horan - Slow Hands

• Juice Wrld - Lucid Dreams + All Girls Are The Same
  • Marshmello - Friends + Happier 
  • G-Eazy - No Limit + Him & I
  • Halsey - Without Me 
  • XXXTentacion - SAD! + Moonlight

• Halsey - Without Me + Graveyard + YSBS + Eastside
  • Sam Smith - How Do You Sleep? + DWAS
  • Panic! At The Disco - High Hopes
  • Tones & I - Dance Monkey

• The Weeknd - BL (Tentative Year End #1) + Heartless 
  • Eminem - Godzilla
  • Selena Gomez - LYTLM + LAHN
  • Jawsh 865 - Savage Love
  • Juice Wrld - Come & Go

Some of you will say a lot of these are irrelevant af, but I hope it at least puts in perspective how the Grammys sometimes shut out entire eras and some of the biggest hits we've seen from receiving a single nomination. The Weeknd was robbed, probably worst than anyone since Ke$ha.

Some of these would have never gotten nominated. The Grammys generally have a very low opinion on Kesha, Britney, JLO, Selena and those kinds of artists 

But Rachel Platten was shocking. Fight Song was the kind of material they like nominating. Who stole her spot? :dancehall3:

3 hours ago, dweebz said:

The tragedy of Die Young. Chile, she would have had 4 #1s

The way how everything after Timber was dead on arrival for Kesha.

Ugh. It was so sad. Totally understandable given the circumstance of Sandy Hook but C'Mon missing the top 10 was the start of the end. 

46 minutes ago, brainmaniac said:

Some of these would have never gotten nominated. The Grammys generally have a very low opinion on Kesha, Britney, JLO, Selena and those kinds of artists 

But Rachel Platten was shocking. Fight Song was the kind of material they like nominating. Who stole her spot? :dancehall3:

True, I agree with that. They do have an extremely low opinion of them, but IDK why. They nominate goofy joke artists all the time... Not sure what makes them different.

RIGHT! Her, James Arthur, Avicii and Marshmello were the most shocking for me. I'm assuming she would've been nominated in the 2016 ceremony since it came out Q1 2015?

Best Pop Solo Performance
"Thinking Out Loud" – Ed Sheeran
"Heartbeat Song" – Kelly Clarkson
"Love Me Like You Do" – Ellie Goulding
"Blank Space" – Taylor Swift
"Can't Feel My Face" – The Weeknd

I guess Kelly and Ellie took her spot.

1 hour ago, Jude said:

Unlike those artists mentioned in the OP,  Abel is already an established acclaimed artist with multiple Grammys when he experienced his shut out, that's the difference. 

Sam Smith was and is as well... He got shut out for his 2017 and 2019/2020 (singles). 

Avicii's posthomous and biggest era (2013) were also shut out which is wild cause they were so acclaimed and everywhere. I was expecting that to get nominated for ROTY

3 hours ago, Kool_Aid_King said:

Sam Smith was and is as well... He got shut out for his 2017 and 2019/2020 (singles). 

Avicii's posthomous and biggest era (2013) were also shut out which is wild cause they were so acclaimed and everywhere. I was expecting that to get nominated for ROTY

Sam Smith only had one smash era, their second era did good though, while Abel has multiple smash eras.

Avicii wasn't really that huge in the US. He only had Wake Me Up and his death didn't even create much impact on US charts. Definitely not comparable to Abel's acclaim, longevity and success in the US.

Edited by Jude

4 hours ago, Kool_Aid_King said:

I decided to look into that Abel situation to see the last time (this past decade) a Huge monster smash hit was totally shut out with any nominations. (ignoring if the artist had other smashes nominated from the same era)  Here are some of the biggest snubs similar to Blinding Lights. Feel free to let me know if I missed any.

• Ke$ha - Tik Tok (#1 Year End) + Blah Blah Blah + YLIMD + TIO + Blow + WRWWR
  • Taio Cruz - Dynamite + Break Your Heart 
  • Jason Derulo - In My Head + Whatcha Say  + Ridin Solo 

• LMFAO - Party Rock Anthem  (#2 Year End) [Sexy & I Know It got a Grammy Nod though]
  • Jennifer Lopez - On The Floor
  • Pitbull - Give Me Everything + Hey Baby + Rain On Me
  • Black Eyed Peas - Just Can't Get Enough 
  • Britney Spears - HIAM + TTWE + IWG
  • One Direction - WMYB

• Ellie Goulding - Lights
  • Nicki Minaj - Starships
  • Justin Bieber - Boyfriend + ALAYLM + Beauty & a Beat

• will.i.am - Scream & Shout
  • Avicii - Wake Me Up

• Rude - Magic!
  • Jason Derulo - Talk Dirty + Wiggle
  • OneRepublic - Counting Stars
  • Pitbull - Timber 
  • Nico & Vinz - Am I Wrong
  • Bastille - Pompeii (Got BNA though)
  • Passenger - Let Her Go
  • Tove Lo - Habits + Talking Body

• Walk The Moon - Shut up & Dance
  • Omi - Cheerleader
  • Rachel Platten - Fight Song

• Fifth Harmony - Work From Home
  • Zayn - Pillowtalk
  • Calvin Harris - This Is What You Came For
  • Selena Gomez - Good For You + Same Old Love + Hands To Myself
  • Charlie Puth - One Call Away + We Don't Talk Anymore

• James Arthur - Say You Won't Let Go
  • Post Malone - Congratulations + I Fall Apart
  • Halsey - Bad at Love + Now or Never
  • Lil Uzi Vert - XO Tour Life + The Way Life Goes (Got BNA though)
  • Future - Mask Off 
  • Demi Lovato - Sorry Not Sorry + No Promises + Solo
  • Sam Smith - Too Good At Goodbyes
  • Dj Khaled - Wild Thoughts + I'm The One + Shining
  • Shawn Mendes - There's Nothing Holding Me Back + Treat You Better + Mercy
  • Kygo - It Ain't Me
  • Niall Horan - Slow Hands

• Juice Wrld - Lucid Dreams + All Girls Are The Same
  • Marshmello - Friends + Happier 
  • G-Eazy - No Limit + Him & I
  • Halsey - Without Me 
  • XXXTentacion - SAD! + Moonlight

• Halsey - Without Me + Graveyard + YSBS + Eastside
  • Sam Smith - How Do You Sleep? + DWAS
  • Panic! At The Disco - High Hopes
  • Tones & I - Dance Monkey

• The Weeknd - BL (Tentative Year End #1) + Heartless 
  • Eminem - Godzilla
  • Selena Gomez - LYTLM + LAHN
  • Jawsh 865 - Savage Love
  • Juice Wrld - Come & Go

Some of you will say a lot of these are irrelevant af, but I hope it at least puts in perspective how the Grammys sometimes shut out entire eras and some of the biggest hits we've seen from receiving a single nomination. The Weeknd was robbed, probably worst than anyone since Ke$ha.

Yes to the ones underlined.

20 minutes ago, Jude said:

Sam Smith only had one smash era, his second era did good though, while Abel has multiple smash eras.

Avicii wasn't really that huge in the US. He only had Wake Me Up and his death didn't even create much impact on US charts. Definitely not comparable to Abel's acclaim, longevity and success in the US.

Yeah but Sam had more Grammy awards then The Weeknd does in those two successful eras. So much buzz and acclaim. And they WON BNA, Song & Record of the Year. The Bond song got an Oscar as well.

Not saying The Weeknd wasn't shocking, cause it is but Sam not getting ANYTHING for that era was pretty wild to me as well. 

1 hour ago, Kool_Aid_King said:

Yeah but Sam had more Grammy awards then The Weeknd does in those two successful eras. So much buzz and acclaim. And they WON BNA, Song & Record of the Year. The Bond song got an Oscar as well.

Not saying The Weeknd wasn't shocking, cause it is but Sam not getting ANYTHING for that era was pretty wild to me as well. 

But Sam didn't have longevity in terms of acclaim. They're not Adele. That was their debut era as well and everyone was expecting sophomore slump. Abel has already released tons of acclaimed successful records before he got shut out like this. 

Edited by Jude

I think the issue with Lights is that it was already nearly two years old when it became a hit. She might have submitted it the year prior when it (and she) was largely unknown to the Grammy voters.

It’s kind of strange how neither We Found Love or Diamonds got any nominations in the pop categories, or in the general field.

It’s probably because both songs came out in September. So they either just made the deadline for their respective release years, or was released at the beginning of the eligibility period for the next year.

If Kesha complained like Abel is complaining her career would have ended already

none of this was grammy worthy

when will people understand that the grammys are not the BBMA? or VMAZ?

you can't payola your way onto the ballot  #talentmatters #vocalsmatter

The Grammys did Selena and Halsey so wrong. They both deserved at least a nom for LYTLM and Without Me.

I’m gonna make a bold statement.

Halsey was equally as snubbed as The Weeknd. The fact Without Me scored 0 nominations when it deserved 3, and Manic - which was a well acclaimed album - did not even score Pop Vocal is a huge ?????? for me.

They were rightfully excluded, saying this as a Kesha stan. They're all kinda panned.

Carly Rae Jepsen - Emotion

22 hours ago, umich said:

I think the issue with Lights is that it was already nearly two years old when it became a hit. She might have submitted it the year prior when it (and she) was largely unknown to the Grammy voters.

I dont think that's when she submitted. She definitely deserved but Lights and Blinding Lights both getting snubbed :weeps: 

On 11/25/2020 at 8:39 PM, Jude said:

But Sam didn't have longevity in terms of acclaim. They're not Adele. That was their debut era as well and everyone was expecting sophomore slump. Abel has already released tons of acclaimed successful records before he got shut out like this. 

But the difference is they did not have a sophomore Slump, TTOIA is almost 2x Platinum with one of the biggest hits of their career. Obviously not as big as debut but this Weeknd era is not as big as Starboy or BBTM. You can use the same logic.

12 hours ago, Mezik said:

I’m gonna make a bold statement.

Halsey was equally as snubbed as The Weeknd. The fact Without Me scored 0 nominations when it deserved 3, and Manic - which was a well acclaimed album - did not even score Pop Vocal is a huge ?????? for me.

I think the difference was Halsey's was just one song, but now it's the entire album was ignored. Unfortunately she only had one huge hit on the album and since the eligibility periods for them were a year apart, it lead to people forgetting of her snub. If Without Me + Manic got snubbed in the same period it would be a bigger deal than what it is. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.