• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• alexanderao

• Rentboy

• fridayteenage

• iHype.

Lol @ The Chainsmokers. They will easily have one of the biggest opening week in years. ATRL KEEPS losing :clap3:

14 hours ago, simmnfierzig said:

Not every ticket counts just like that. You get an e-mail with a link or a code or whatever which allows you to get the album for free somewhere. But you still have to go download the album for it to count as a sale. 

I doubt it's free. They said the same thing with M, and it was never free.

_____

Talent won.

7 minutes ago, Violent Youth said:

Lol @ The Chainsmokers. They will easily have one of the biggest opening week in years. ATRL KEEPS losing :clap3:

A Metacritic score of 45? ATRL WON :clap3:

1 minute ago, rihannabiggestfan said:

A Metacritic score of 45? ATRL WON :clap3:

But ATRL told me they would be over after Closer?? I'm not sure if the 45 metacritic score would make ATRL 'win' in anything, but do you.

Anyway, I don't care for TC. I just love y'all seethe for artists you claim it's over and then they comeback harder than ever :fan:

Woah I thought they'd end up being singles artist! :eek: 

Reminds me back in the early 2010s when the GP was eating up LMFAO song after song.

17 minutes ago, FameFatale said:

Reminds me back in the early 2010s when the GP was eating up LMFAO song after song.

but they have only 2 hits :celestial5:

Edited by Drake Lindo

19 minutes ago, FameFatale said:

They only have 2 hits and a gold album

Chainsmoker have multiple hits + a gold ep and a platinum ep with a 215k selling album so far :) 

Ticket bundling should only count if it's an additional price onto the ticket, and the consumer has a choice between if they want to pay or not. (i.e. keeping the ticket prices the same and throwing a free album in to boost sales shouldn't count, and making every ticket an additional $10 and forcing each person to pay with no choice shouldn't count). Since that is literally the same as them buying the album on iTunes. If you count it with no choice and no upcharge, that's like attaching an album to every piece of candy at a store and counting every purchase of candy as an album sale. 

And it's weird Billboard ruled against ticket bundling when Prince first did it, then allowed it with Madonna and ever since.

come thru with a rule change billboard :cm: 

Sounds like people are mad because of BB counting paying a bunch of money as an album sale, and what's fair instead is to count singles sales and singles streaming bundled onto the album chart. 

Edited by fridayteenage

36 minutes ago, iHype. said:

Ticket bundling should only count if it's an additional price onto the ticket, and the consumer has a choice between if they want to pay or not. (i.e. keeping the ticket prices the same and throwing a free album in to boost sales shouldn't count, and making every ticket an additional $10 and forcing each person to pay with no choice shouldn't count). Since that is literally the same as them buying the album on iTunes. If you count it with no choice and no upcharge, that's like attaching an album to every piece of candy at a store and counting every purchase of candy as an album sale. 

And it's weird Billboard ruled against ticket bundling when Prince first did it, then allowed it with Madonna and ever since.

Well, the thing with ticket bundles is that a large amount of people who would normally just buy the album are now going to buy a tour ticket instead. You'd then not be counting those people's consumption just because they went with a good deal. Furthermore, buying a tour ticket represents a higher level of commitment to an artist than buying an album. So you're not going to have anybody buying the ticket just to get the album– everyone who is buying a ticket was going to consume the album regardless. 

I'm glad comedy albums are doing well.

SA2tN3R.gif

17 minutes ago, alexanderao said:

Well, the thing with ticket bundles is that a large amount of people who would normally just buy the album are now going to buy a tour ticket instead. You'd then not be counting those people's consumption just because they went with a good deal. Furthermore, buying a tour ticket represents a higher level of commitment to an artist than buying an album. So you're not going to have anybody buying the ticket just to get the album– everyone who is buying a ticket was going to consume the album regardless. 

Actually, a small fraction of people who go to tours buy the music I'd imagine.

U2 had the biggest tour of all-time in 2009-2010, with 7.2 million attendance.The album the tour was promoting sold less than 4 million WW. 

Of the 4 million copies sold, how many do you think actually went to the tour? A small fraction of people who buy albums go on tours for the albums. People buy dozens of albums, and nobody has the time or money to buy dozens of tour tiickets. Especially with EDM/Dance acts who don't sell albums to begin with. 

Furthermore, artists with the huge tours are legacy acts (Madonna, Bruce Springsteen, U2, The Rolling Stones) who likely haven't had a hit single in over a decade. If they release new singles they flop, and likely don't even chart on Hot 100. That is proof that just because their fans buy tour tickets, doesn't equate to them automatically engaging in their new music, or else their new singles would be doing great / selling great.

Put it this way:

If U2 were to include a download of their newest single with tour tickets; and sold 500K tour tickets in a week, and therefore it was counted as 500,000 downloads on Hot 100 and they debuted #1 would that seem fair?

Obviously not. Their tour may be popular, but the likelihood their single is popular nor it would sell much in a week is unrealistic. The same should apply to albums. Tour bundles inflate popularity and charting more than they provide a 'deal'.

Yes, like counting singles on an albums chart inflates popularity. 

22 minutes ago, iHype. said:

Actually, a small fraction of people who go to tours buy the music I'd imagine.

U2 had the biggest tour of all-time in 2009-2010, with 7.2 million attendance.The album the tour was promoting sold less than 4 million WW. 

Of the 4 million copies sold, how many do you think actually went to the tour? A small fraction of people who buy albums go on tours for the albums. People buy dozens of albums, and nobody has the time or money to buy dozens of tour tiickets. Especially with EDM/Dance acts who don't sell albums to begin with. 

Furthermore, artists with the huge tours are legacy acts (Madonna, Bruce Springsteen, U2, The Rolling Stones) who likely haven't had a hit single in over a decade. If they release new singles they flop, and likely don't even chart on Hot 100. That is proof that just because their fans buy tour tickets, doesn't equate to them automatically engaging in their new music, or else their new singles would be doing great / selling great.

Put it this way:

If U2 were to include a download of their newest single with tour tickets; and sold 500K tour tickets in a week, and therefore it was counted as 500,000 downloads on Hot 100 and they debuted #1 would that seem fair?

Obviously not. Their tour may be popular, but the likelihood their single is popular nor it would sell much in a week is unrealistic. The same should apply to albums. Tour bundles inflate popularity and charting more than they provide a 'deal'.

Well, you obviously need to consider people bringing others along to concerts + parents who are going for their kids, etc. But that's beside the point. Let me rephrase my argument: everybody who is buying a ticket to The Chainsmokers' tour are big enough fans of the group that I think it's safe to assume they would like to hear the album. It's not analogous to the candy hypothetical that you provide– let's say each piece of candy was packaged with an album of a genre you hate; in that case, you'd be way less likely to consume the album. With ticket bundles, you can be assured that the consumption patterns will be relatively similar to that if there were no tickets involved.

That said, I think you do have a good argument, and I do think change would be practical here. Perhaps a sound reform to the current system would be to mandate that for albums obtained via ticket bundle to count as sales, the tour tickets must be sold at a discount such that the cost of the tour ticket (if you buy the bundle) + the cost of the album = the cost of the ticket if you don't participate in the bundle. This would still allow labels to incentivize purchasing tour tickets without artificially boosting popularity as much.

19 minutes ago, fridayteenage said:

That has nothing to do with what we're discussing

The discussion is what is fair to be counted on the Billboard 200 outside of traditional album sales.

"Nothing" is a gross exaggeration. "Nothing" would be like...discussing what the #1 box office hit is, for example. 

Edited by fridayteenage

1 minute ago, fridayteenage said:

The discussion is what is fair to be counted on the Billboard 200 outside of traditional album sales.

"Nothing" is a gross exaggeration. "Nothing" would be like...discussing what the #1 box office hit is, for example. 

No, the discussion is whether counting sales from ticket bundles is fair. We didn't mention anything other than that or imply that TEA/SEA are unfair or illegitimate :michael:

Anyway, the topic of the thread is the albums chart, not "Ticket Bundles!" but if you choose to have that mindset, you do you.

#1 is Chainsmokers, yas drew his power

Edited by fridayteenage

34 minutes ago, fridayteenage said:

A single that is apart of an album? And Billboard already has made it clear with SPS the purpose of Billboard 200 now is to measure the most consumed projects. When a song has a hit, the project is gaining overall consumption from that, therefore it makes sense for the project to gain traction on the charts also.

16 minutes ago, alexanderao said:

Well, you obviously need to consider people bringing others along to concerts + parents who are going for their kids, etc. But that's beside the point. Let me rephrase my argument: everybody who is buying a ticket to The Chainsmokers' tour are big enough fans of the group that I think it's safe to assume they would like to hear the album. It's not analogous to the candy hypothetical that you provide– let's say each piece of candy was packaged with an album of a genre you hate; in that case, you'd be way less likely to consume the album. With ticket bundles, you can be assured that the consumption patterns will be relatively similar to that if there were no tickets involved.

That said, I think you do have a good argument, and I do think change would be practical here. Perhaps a sound reform to the current system would be to mandate that for albums obtained via ticket bundle to count as sales, the tour tickets must be sold at a discount such that the cost of the tour ticket (if you buy the bundle) + the cost of the album = the cost of the ticket if you don't participate in the bundle. This would still allow labels to incentivize purchasing tour tickets without artificially boosting popularity as much.

That has nothing to do with what we're discussing

Agree, and that's what I was saying. I'd be all for tour bundling if they tackled it as 'Would you also like to purchase their new album for an additional $9.99?' at the purchase page then adding that $9.99 to the total price, that's literally the same as buying it. But including the album and ticket together for the same price, automatically giving it to each person (when some ticket buyers could have already bought the album, therefore double counting sales for people) and just inflating it's popularity without actually selling it is a potential large problem. It's just a free bonus being counted as sales.

8 hours ago, dussymob said:

What does Trump have to do with chainsmokers? I really need to stay off this gay ass site :rip:

:ahh::ahh: 

The ticket bundle is fair, It's makes MUCH more sense than SPS.

Wow, and to think these are the people who got their start with a song about selfies. What's wrong with the industry?

It's just the Chainsmokers have songs that are very anthemic and nostalgic.  I have a friend that literally cried to Closer for no reason, it just like made her reminisce.  Young is doing that for me rn, great song.

2 minutes ago, YoYo said:

The ticket bundle is fair, It's makes MUCH more sense than SPS.

oh

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.